Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Amazon says the bans aren't automated and a human checks them, but I don't trust Bezos, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Lawlicaust posted:

They scaled like 15 servers by 12% the other day but haven't touched server size otherwise. I'm assuming either they just can't or they are intentionally wanting to wait to force people to spread out.

This is the same engine star citizen uses

they can't increase server size without taking other stuff away

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Please someone go back in time and kill Cryengine.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
so whats the deal do i spend 40 bucks on this or can i just wait 2 weeks for it to go away

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
They were running 3k (and I think 3500 at one point) in beta for capacity and people were upset at the competition for certain quest mobs. On a 2k server it took me almost 50 minutes to kill overseer zane

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Other games figured out to put pve instanced zones to avoid mob competition, but that ruins the idea of having a crafting focused game.

You would then just put higher tier resources in pvp zones that have no instances.

Instead they capped it at 2000 and low balled the server count.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Seems really dumb to have configurable timers for territories. This isn’t a single shard mmo - if I’m playing on a US East server, timers should be us East prime time

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

They are just going to continue to make questionable design choices til the playerbase drops below 2000 and then call the game single shard.

Biowarfare posted:

They were running 3k (and I think 3500 at one point) in beta for capacity and people were upset at the competition for certain quest mobs. On a 2k server it took me almost 50 minutes to kill overseer zane

I've just given up on that quest line entirely until they patch it. Primary town quest where there's always ten people camping a spot, with a 10 minute respawn, in a death cave? At least give credit for anyone who hits him.

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

They are just going to continue to make questionable design choices til the playerbase drops below 2000 and then call the game single shard.

I've just given up on that quest line entirely until they patch it. Primary town quest where there's always ten people camping a spot, with a 10 minute respawn, in a death cave? At least give credit for anyone who hits him.

just group up with other randoms. Your group will be pretty much assured to get credit, and you'll all split it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Interact with other players? What madness is that?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Locator posted:

That video needs all the love.

Thanks for pointing it out, I laughed my head off.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Hellioning posted:

Amazon says the bans aren't automated and a human checks them, but I don't trust Bezos, so.

I have literally seen "gamer words" misspelled and said in area chat. I would take "I was autobanned" with a grain of salt.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Arsonide posted:

I just bought the game, I have no idea where to make my character. Two of my friends are playing, both of their servers are locked to character creation. All Goon servers are locked. Should I create a character in the same "world group"? It pops up a thing saying that I will then not be able to play with them.

Should I just create one randomly somewhere? I just want to start killing orcs or whatever, what is all this bullshit.
as is usual for these games you're going to need to learn some things when you start out that make it easier next time, so just start anywhere and get in there. plan to ditch it later and start over.

yeah there are a thousand "first time players absolutely should watch" videos out there but they tend to miss important things, like hitting rocks with your pickaxe for a couple hours until you get magical iron sensing on your compass so you can find the two nodes that just spawned before that guy running a camping route, then leaving the useless rocks in your storage anyway because eventually some town board quest will be like "hey give us stone bricks"

there's all sorts of really useful skills and passives hidden in various weapon masteries too and you probably won't spot them until you try a bunch out

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The servers are for sure scalable, the poor design decisions are not.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
The flip side of Quest Boss with 8-minute respawn: the bosses inside churches that respawn after 3 seconds, which creates giant piles of people standing there farming them for experience, still denying quest progress.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Devor posted:

The flip side of Quest Boss with 8-minute respawn: the bosses inside churches that respawn after 3 seconds, which creates giant piles of people standing there farming them for experience, still denying quest progress.
the other side: being asked to dig up a single Squash but even going near it spawns 100 zombies aggroed on your face in a steady stream who will interrupt any interaction attempt

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

CrashCat posted:

the other side: being asked to dig up a single Squash but even going near it spawns 100 zombies aggroed on your face in a steady stream who will interrupt any interaction attempt

It's extreme jank and "should" be fixed, don't get me wrong. But part of me sincerely loves the rough edges and unpredictableness of all of it to the no-sharp-edges finely polished mmos out there.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
^^^
GOTY

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Move aside fishing, there's a new game in town.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:shittypop:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I like to imagine you're not killing the stags, just sneaking up behind them and doing a stealthy gather action

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My server has a corruption invasion thing in a few hours, worth it to take part?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

all that experience collecting bear asses paying off

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alligator Tower posted:

just group up with other randoms. Your group will be pretty much assured to get credit, and you'll all split it

Sure, it's just weird that most regular mobs that I have seen will share flags, but for some reason that one is only first come first serve

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is the best game of 2021

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

My server has a corruption invasion thing in a few hours, worth it to take part?

You have to be at least level 50 to join, and iirc all of the enemies are level 60+. I don't think you get any rewards for losing (which you will, this early) but it can be a valuable learning experience if there are a handful of people who can go on your server.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
Is this game "worth it" if you don't want to do much of the PvP elements? TIA

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DankRhymer posted:

Is this game "worth it" if you don't want to do much of the PvP elements? TIA

If you enjoy grindy gathering zen, or complicated crafting and trading stuff, it definitely can be. The dungeons are pretty nice and raids are supposedly coming out soon too so that might be a big non-pvp draw.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Nearly missed the TT meltdown, should probably stop letting serial goon fuckers make the op and/or guilds. Stop following idiots.

Games real fun so far. My group has had 4 wars on defence because we're vastly outnumbered as a faction. Won all 4, only one we managed to lose any points in though.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
The only two opinions I'm seeing online are this is the best sandbox mmo since star wars galaxies or it's the most boring rpg ever made. Which one is closer to reality?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this is like the last great mmo launch

1) janky buggy mess of a game with some fun elements
2) goon drama
3) pubbie drama
4) queues and all that poo poo straight out of 2006

Dpulex posted:

The only two opinions I'm seeing online are this is the best sandbox mmo since star wars galaxies or it's the most boring rpg ever made. Which one is closer to reality?

Nothing about New World is a sandbox.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dpulex posted:

In this thread as time goes on you'll only have the options of people still playing and enjoying it.

Where as I am just here for that juicy drama explosion.

The game is... ok, so long as you are fine with grinding for the sake of grinding and slowly walking across a somewhat pretty landscape filled with animals and zombies and your only player interactions are 90% of the time going to be hostile, either from PvP or because players you can't attack are taking your gatherables and taking your quest spawns.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Dpulex posted:

It's a fun game with great audio visual, action combat, generally bug-free gameplay, and somewhat shallow content that will either be made or broken by how quickly new content can be added.

It's worth 40 bucks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would not at all describe New World as a sandbox, certainly not in the way SWG was. About the only sandboxy element I'd say it has would be companies owning and upgrading settlements. I guess the totally player-driven economy, too? The total lack of NPC vendors is definitely a notable difference from other MMOs.

Whether you find it boring or not is going to depend on how much you like running for long periods of time between objectives (not being facetious, some people love this), how much you like the combat, and whether you're into world PvP, I'd guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The main thing that makes the combat different from most MMO is having to aim the ranged weapons yourself, though it is a bit frustrating that GW2's engine has always been capable of that sort of thing since 2012 but they went with tab-targeting instead.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Sandboxy would be if NW let you build your own fuckin towns in the middle of the truckload of empty wilderness it has

And then one of these towns decides to burn Everfall to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ran a dungeon with goons today and it was a lot of fun.