Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The United States posted:

As others have said, source ports like GZDoom will do what you want, giving you default modern keybindings, jumping, mouselook, looking up and down, etc.

Just be aware that in the original campaigns, or wads made before jumping was added in source ports, it's basically a cheat. I'm not saying not use it, do whatever you want, just be aware that it's a cheat code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Zereth posted:

Just be aware that in the original campaigns, or wads made before jumping was added in source ports, it's basically a cheat. I'm not saying not use it, do whatever you want, just be aware that it's a cheat code.

Heck even "mouselook" (specifically vertical looking) is in some instances, notably in mapsets like Memento Mori II where having to move to the right elevation of the switch was part of the map puzzles.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've played a handful of demos for nextfest and I'm sorry but the stereotype of indie games lacking polish and that "professional touch" is definitely present in almost every game I played. You can REALLY feel it, especially when it comes to puzzle and combat segments.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've played some low-budget games this year but sometimes I feel like the "indie" moniker is more of an excuse to put out some real visually unpleasant garbage.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I love indie games and I'm not bothered by rough issues with demos if they're smoothed out for final release. Most of these are alpha builds to generate interest and wishlist additions so that they can have visibility later down the line for launch. Only a small amount of the massive demo list are games coming out in the next couple of weeks.

My top 15 of 2021 is currently 13 indie games and 2 AA games. And I've wishlisted several demos from this festival for 2022.

To give an example of a rougher demo, there's Warp Soldier, which.. actually I kinda like it a little bit, BUT, it's janky. There's no way to quit other than Alt-F4, and the 2-bit graphics are an acquired taste. I think maybe it'd benefit from an accent color to go along with the greyscale, ala Downfall. But the combat is more involved than you might expect from the visual style. I'm not thrilled with so many moves/combos being locked away in shops to buy, basically making the combat kind of basic to start off. I dunno why devs make their games feel worse on purpose at the start. This is a Metroidvania too, so you don't need to also lock away combat moves, because the game already does ability gating (upgrades I found in the demo: wallrun, walljump, ceiling cling, downward stomp). You have this ability to tag an enemy that you can warp to, but it felt kind of clunky, so that's not great for a game named Warp Soldier. I think it needs a bit more polish and also more to the UI/menuing.

Endless Firepower is gonna need a little something more for it to be worthwhile I think. It's an FPS roguelite that seems definitely influenced by Borderlands, given that bosses explode into a bunch of weapons of different rarities, and there are shields that work exactly the same as Borderlands. But... I dunno. Kind of bland minimalist visual look, weapons don't feel amazing (so I guess that puts it on par with Borderlands), and given that the game is entering Early Access at launch, there's just not much to it. Seems like it has its work cut out for it in a genre that already has titles like Gunfire Reborn.

down to just a dozen demos left on my list: Aspire, BIOTA, Dread Delusion, Fallen Aces, Forgive Me Father, Grapple Dog, Lil Gator, Perfect Tides, Supplice, Teabat, Victory Heat Rally, Young Souls. i'm gonna lie down and play atelier for the rest of the night though.

so far my favorite demos: The Good Life, Astlibra Revision, The Case of the Golden Idol, Glyph, Haiku the Robot, Strange Horticulture, Deep Rune and Crystal Project.

decent demos: The Case of the Golden Idol, Treasures of the Aegean, Bat Boy, Transmute, Transiruby, Prose & Codes, Lone Fungus, The Bookwalker, Gastova, Rise of the Third Power, Warp Soldier

mediocre/poor demos: Aztech: Forgotten Gods, Spectacular Sparky, Aeterna: Noctus, Endless Firepower

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 4, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What I hate are all the indie games on Steam that have some awesome-looking fantasy cover art and then when you click on the store page it's some monochrome text GUI or RPGmaker pixel crap. Like, you clearly know what looks more appealing to people, why you lyin'!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

What I hate are all the indie games on Steam that have some awesome-looking fantasy cover art and then when you click on the store page it's some monochrome text GUI or RPGmaker pixel crap. Like, you clearly know what looks more appealing to people, why you lyin'!!

Ah, real nostalgia for the 80s and 90s

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

explosivo posted:

I'm pretty ignorant of comics and marvel stuff so I had a feeling Kamala Khan was Ms. Marvel but wasn't positive. I'm playing the Avengers game on gamepass and they went from '"You're a girl who entered a contest" to "Now use your giant hands to climb up to the next area!" without much of a transition. It felt like they skipped a scene establishing her powers or something because I was asked to climb up to a ledge and her arms turned into huge ropy silly putty arms to pull herself up. Nothing bad but I just laughed when all the sudden my arms were gigantic and I was like 'oh right, i'm that super hero'.

Game's good though! I probably won't be roping any of my friends in to play with me but so far the story has been neat.

I had exactly the same feeling. I thought I missed something, so I’m glad it’s not just me!

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've played a handful of demos for nextfest and I'm sorry but the stereotype of indie games lacking polish and that "professional touch" is definitely present in almost every game I played. You can REALLY feel it, especially when it comes to puzzle and combat segments.

I think they are just running out of high quality games to demo at this point. In the past 3 Nextfest/game festivals thing I could usually find 10 or so games that really caught my eyes. For this one, I could barely find 3 after pouring through the whole catalogue twice.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's more that higher budget indies aren't even interested in putting out a demo usually, because it's a waste of resources when they know they're likely to get attention anyway (from having an actual marketing budget etc.), so the majority of ones that do get demos are all the lower budget indies scrambling to have something ready for the demo event, with a resulting lack of polish. there are the occasional gems but i wouldn't expect much from most of the demos in terms of polish with these sorts of events.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man that Inscryption demo really sold me on the game. Glad it's coming out so soon, too!

Yeah, I really liked Pony Island and The Hex, so it only took me about five minutes of playing the demo to start mashing the purchase button.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

quote:

Deep Rune: In the burgeoning genre of "games only made for The 7th Guest", here is Deep Rune, a followup to Myth Bearer from JC Bailey which continues the design philosophy of the.. classic?? (not for everyone) DROD RPG and having a large game world where the gameplay loop involves deciding who to fight and in what order in order to keep yourself alive and keep leveling up. To give another example, the games like play like if Desktop Dungeon was a full world instead of single rooms.

it would seem that i have super similar taste to yours, recommend me more cheap weird indie games i may have missed from the past few years :j:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

it would seem that i have super similar taste to yours, recommend me more cheap weird indie games i may have missed from the past few years :j:

What you want is the gold standard of this genre of game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141290/Tactical_Nexus/

Translation (of the little amount of text the game has) is poor, the graphics are unimpressive, but this is one of the most intricate and satisfying games I have ever played.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Elswyyr posted:

What you want is the gold standard of this genre of game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141290/Tactical_Nexus/

Translation (of the little amount of text the game has) is poor, the graphics are unimpressive, but this is one of the most intricate and satisfying games I have ever played.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tactical Nexus is ENTIRELY about choosing the order you battle your enemies. Get the demo, you'll get a solid amount of levels to check out and know if you want to pay for more pretty quickly.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Tactical Nexus is awesome but I hit a brick wall on progression after ~60h.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

key art that doesn’t even slightly resemble the actual product is definitely a peeve of mine

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Question about Inscryption: How far into the horror genre is it? Like is it just horror themed, or is there actual suspense and tension and jump scares?

Me like cards, me no horror

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

feels like we should already be well past the point where entire games look like the fantasy painting illustrations. We occasionally do get beautiful games like that, but usually they're some side-scroller or a metroidvania or something else where most design problems have long been sorted out to copy from.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's a ton of work to produce GOOD, really detailed backgrounds, and most indie games don't have the budget to do so. Even indie studios that are successful and have the money to do it rarely have the combination of desire ability to scale up and out in terms of art direction and management to produce a sufficient volume of quality content. Obsession with photorealism along with a general soullessness has murdered art direction in nearly all big budget publisher funded games for 15+ years. They often have an absurd level of detail, but nothing that would actually interest you to look at. Don't expect to see anything change any time soon in that regard.

Personally, I'd really like to see more games step back from the desire to have enormous scale to focus on creating tight environments that are incredibly polished.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Artelier posted:

Question about Inscryption: How far into the horror genre is it? Like is it just horror themed, or is there actual suspense and tension and jump scares?

I don't know that anyone is going to have a great answer since it's not out yet. There's a demo. I don't remember any jump scares in it, although everything is definitely dark (literally and metaphorically), there's some suspense and there is a moment that some would call 'body horror' you pull out one of your teeth with a pair of pliers, however it's in first person so you don't really see much besides pliers coming towards the screen, and then retreating with a tooth

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Rise of the Third Power: This is the one I was worried about the potential minefield of "fantasy allegory for WW2"... the demo doesn't really cover that though, mostly covering a part of the game where you are trying to escape from pirates by stealing their ship. The most interesting aspect of the game is the combat, which gives the characters all a bunch of interesting and viable skills. My two main complaints are that the attacks seem like they don't do enough damage for how they seem to expect it to be balanced... and the visual presentation is a bit over-produced (as seen in the screenshot above). Almost as if they are desperate to show that they aren't using RPG Maker anymore (this is the developer of Ara Fell, once made in RPG Maker and then converted to a new engine in a remaster later on), they've swung a bit in the opposite direction by cramming in as many effects as they can, which results in a slower combat loop because characters have lengthy animations for their attacks and everything has to have a little visual effect or flair to it. Maybe something they can dial back on or have a setting to dial it down.

I tried this demo for like 10 minutes and will mess around with it again, but I like the over the top animations! Some of them looked really impressive, however, trash fights felt like they were taking too long (but not necessarily because of the animations, I like those, just enemies having too much health) and that's my number one reason I'll burn out and quit a turned based RPG. Since I hardly played it maybe that's on my end, but nothing bugs me more.

Right now I'm playing through Trails of Cold Steel 3 and I love LOVE the fast forward toggle so I can just burn through trash fights, and the rare occasion I want to grind a bit it's not too bad.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

My one big complaint about Ara Fell is that the combat was a slog. It wasn't difficult at all; encounters just took way too long.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

central dogma posted:

RE: Unsighted. Sorry, it's not actually a block button - it's still parry. But yesterday (or the day before?) they patched the game to make it combat a little easier overall, including the length of the parry window. I think they said enemy attacks are less likely to go thru if you're a little late on the parry.

They also added 6 or so more meteor dust to the game and slowed the timer a tad :)

I don't think I've played the new version yet, but actually once I went along a bit things started to fall into place and get much easier. Loading two stamina chips was crucial and allows me to actually go on attack and finish enemies in the same flurry. Before suddenly running out of stamina was terrible and so annoying, as is the fact that you when you reload you walk super slow all of the sudden.

You also get better at creating specific strategies for each enemy, each one has at least one optimal strategy that sort of trivializes them. Now my biggest challenge is occasionally it's hard to figure out which way I should go next and/or I can't find the correct path.

Parrying isn't hard if you can just focus on one enemy, it really only gets complex when you're trying to track two or three or four different enemy attacks and that's still true. Now I mostly just try to stay out of the way and parry mainly if there are only one or two enemies.

Overall, this game is exactly as great as I expected it to be. It reminds me of Eastward in how beautiful the pixel art is but it's much better imo because it has better combat, better puzzles and better 'levels'.

Oxxidation posted:

so F.I.S.T. appears to be an indie metroidvania populated by silky-voiced furries. has anyone given it a spin yet

Yeah I did. It seems solid. It's got nice graphics and good movement and combat powers. Doesn't seem really special in any way, and it's not a challenging as maybe it should be, 2 out of 3 bosses so far I beat on my first try. Overall I'd say it's kind of mediocre, if you're itching for a metroidvania it can scratch it but I don't LOVE it so far.

Vasler posted:

I've been thinking of buying Deliver us to the Moon for quite a long time but decided to wait until I got a new video card.

That was over a year ago and I still haven't been able to get one. Any idea how it will perform on a 970?

I don't know, but if you sign up for the newegg shuffle every day you'll have a new card before too long I think.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man that Inscryption demo really sold me on the game. Glad it's coming out so soon, too!

It looks like I somehow got access to the Beta (maybe everyone who downloads the demo gets that?) for that game and I'm super excited to play it. I love games that have tons of their own style and Inscryption is absolutely oozing with style.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Aspire: Ina's Tale is one of those story/puzzle platformers with beautiful art and music. That style of game is not my jam so much anymore, since Inside and Little Nightmares set the bar so high that even games that look and sound as good as this aren't so exciting to me, because they're a little sluggish, a little basic, etc. I think people who are into this type of game will enjoy it though.

Astral Ascent is a genre I generally don't care for, the action roguelite. It is, however, by the Dark Devotion team, so there is some talent behind this. The game has incredibly fluid character animations (think Dead Cells quality), and some nice environments, but like I said before, this isn't really my genre. It seems fine for what it is. You have your hub where you persistently grow stronger, and then the runs have you choosing a type of room, clearing it, choosing the next room, and so on and so forth until you reach the end of the area and fight the boss, presumably.

B.I.O.T.A.: I had.. trouble pinning this one down. I couldn't actually tell if it was a Metroidvania, I didn't reach a new ability in my playtime before quitting. I think it's not for me... a little frustrating in its design. Maybe it's fine and I'm being uncharitable but there's just so much for me to play that I'm not gonna sit too long with something I'm not super into.

Grapple Dog: YES. YES!!!! This is the real poo poo!! It's as if someone unearthed a lost Nintendo game from the DS era. It has that Nintendo level of quality to it, from the level design to the great controls (yes, you can even play this on a Steam Controller). The music is like if Jazz Jackrabbit's music combined with the Hideki Naganuma vocal samples from Jet Set Radio & Sonic Rush (and I mean that literally, they're using the same vocal library Hideki used). The purple gems function like the green stars in Mario 3D Land, used to unlock later levels. You also get gems for collecting enough fruit in the level (the game's equivalent of coins). The gem gating seems reasonable, which allows the dev to tuck some gems in hard to reach/notice spots, suitable for really going gung-ho on the grappling. And yes the grappling is good. Nothing will ever match the ninja rope from Worms Armageddon, but hey this is still a pretty good grapple rope.

Young Souls: This one also isn't 100% for me but I think it's pretty cool. Kind of like Lost Castle but way nicer looking, this is a beat-em-up ARPG with a story to it. For me personally, having dungeon crawling, especially random rooms, in a beat-em-up stymies its appeal... a big part of the arcade beat-em up is the set piece, and constantly changing locations. So to be just going through a bunch of identical rooms, I don't get it. I don't get the appeal. But if you like games like Lost Castle you might dig this. And it's very nice to look at.

Victory Heat Rally: The engine here is solid but the demo is maybe a bit too early, not in terms of jank but just content. Only one circuit track, one rally track, and some tutorials, and the races are only against a ghost opponent. So not really races per say, just time attacks. Also I kind of assumed there'd be a traditional arcade mode, or maybe it just wasn't in this demo? The drifting and boosting from drifts feel good, I just need to see more from this.

Teabat! Episode One: Wow what a trip. It's as if the Sega Master System got possessed by the sprit of the 90s Amiga demoscene. Yes you're seeing the screen partially reflected on three walls. As far as I can tell you're racing against the clock to collect as many tea kettles as you can... but I can't tell if the time limit is just because of the demo (because the store page also mentions racing against the clock) or if there is an actual success state. Or whether it's just going for a high score. There are areas and levels... so I dunno? Very strange.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 4, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the acrobatic dog game is on the Buy list. real cute, real slick :thumbsup:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've ended up with an extra key for a Neverwinter Nights - Enhanced Edition module

*?v?rwi*t?r *ights: Pirat?s of th? Sword Coast
CRTBQ-GQ?59-*P0BW

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Anyone in here playing Tails of Iron?

I'm having trouble with a section, I just beat the two frog bosses that come one after another in the mine. As you're returning the bridge breaks and you fall down deeper into the caves.

Then you encounter an enemy for the first time which seems to be a bug that has a shield for a face. You can't damage him with your regular weapon, they turn around instantly if you dive past them to get at their fleshy rears. Sometimes if they do a red attack you can dodge, turn around and get an arrow into their rear end but it doesn't do much damage and I ended up running out of arrows.

What the hell do I need to do here? Typing that up I just remember that I never tried the heavy weapon. Is that what needs to be done here, mess up their faceshield with the heavy weapon attack? Or something else?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I really liked Deedlit in Wonder labyrinth. A very nice SotN clone, though it was not difficult by any stretch. Don't think I ever died while beating it.

Returning here for a moment to say that I've died plenty of times on the first boss alone and the second area in general seems like a huge difficulty spike. It's crazy to think that you had such an easy time with it.

I'm guessing the Hollow Knight down stab/pogo style doesn't work here since Deedlit will constantly fall down and eventually take damage? At least in my experience.

e: Also the second area is filled with green-locked doors and I still haven't even found the yellow switch to unlock the yellow doors on the first stage.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 4, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So did anyone get the digital deluxe version of Bana Mania? I heard the physics weren't exactly like the original games but close enough, yet some people are acting as if the games are unplayable

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

I'd say it solidly rates as "creepy" but doesn't really ever pass over the "horror" threshold. Some aspects of the story have unsettling implications if you dig into them but nothing is ever described in explicit or graphic detail. Onscreen violence is used very sparingly and I don't recall any jumpscares.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Did any goons get Astria Ascending?

Steam reviews are mixed but it sounds like the kind of jrpg I could sink into for a while.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Steam reviews are mixed but it sounds like the kind of jrpg I could sink into for a while.

I checked it out momentarily and hated it. Didn't like the art or what story beats I saw. To be fair though I probably was never going to like it that much, I'm not a fan of JRPGs really. But yeah didn't really like anything about it tbh

Play posted:

Anyone in here playing Tails of Iron?

I'm having trouble with a section, I just beat the two frog bosses that come one after another in the mine. As you're returning the bridge breaks and you fall down deeper into the caves.

Then you encounter an enemy for the first time which seems to be a bug that has a shield for a face. You can't damage him with your regular weapon, they turn around instantly if you dive past them to get at their fleshy rears. Sometimes if they do a red attack you can dodge, turn around and get an arrow into their rear end but it doesn't do much damage and I ended up running out of arrows.

What the hell do I need to do here? Typing that up I just remember that I never tried the heavy weapon. Is that what needs to be done here, mess up their faceshield with the heavy weapon attack? Or something else?

nvm on this I literally figured out the answer while I was writing up the question, you need to use your heavy weapon charge attack to stuff their shieldfaces into the dirt

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's on gamepass if you have that. I played it for about an hour.

It's really pretty, and the combat system seemed decent, but it's missing a lot of QoL features. You can't skip individual lines of dialogue and there's no battle speed control (which imo is mandatory for any turn based jrpg). I'm hoping they'll address those in patches and I can get back to it then.

A lot of characters with their tits out, and it seems like underwear is optional.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I generally don’t skip dialogue or speed up battles in jrpgs so this might work for me. Hmmm.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The RPG thread has a number of reviews and a bunch of people giving up after the first dungeon or so.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is it possible to get banned from commenting on Steam? I think I'm a pretty mild-mannered person, yet I can't comment on any of the discussions. Which is sad, because I want to add to a "What do you think of this game?" thread.

e: Nvm, Steam server issue.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can certainly get banned from using that game's forum by the mods. Afaik

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I checked, and I was unable to access an unrelated game's discussions, so I'm pretty sure it is the server issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

The mods or the devs? Because I've heard a lot of talk about some devs who remove any discussion about problems or reviews and will ban people for criticizing their game.