Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm using a 4k fire stick.

You're using a what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Escobarbarian posted:

I can acknowledge the football stuff being pushed way into the background, and Richmond’s fortunes seeming to change on a whim off-screen, as a flaw of the season, but drat if I just don’t actually care about it in the slightest.

I think this is a big issue for me. I don't follow soccer at all, but that is what this show is supposed to be about. We have all this other story stuff happening and then in the background we find out that they've gone from a bunch of draws, and losing and now they are with striking distance of making it back into the premier league. Shouldn't that be what we are following? Instead we have what we think is practice but is actually a wacky zany lol "we are doing the nsync dance to say goodbye to the therapist." I get that it's probably tricky to put the games into the show with big crowds and competent soccer playing, but a professional soccer team is the point of this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that’s completely fair. It’s definitely jarring to suddenly find out “oh they’re one win away from promotion”, but then they get back into Ted’s psychology or something and I stop minding very much.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I think this is a big issue for me. I don't follow soccer at all, but that is what this show is supposed to be about. We have all this other story stuff happening and then in the background we find out that they've gone from a bunch of draws, and losing and now they are with striking distance of making it back into the premier league. Shouldn't that be what we are following? Instead we have what we think is practice but is actually a wacky zany lol "we are doing the nsync dance to say goodbye to the therapist." I get that it's probably tricky to put the games into the show with big crowds and competent soccer playing, but a professional soccer team is the point of this show.

I think I mentioned it earlier but doing any kind of moving sports-scene is budget-heavy. Even just scenes of the actors doing some passes with simple cuts can easily be hours of production work. That's why most non-sports-movies simply don't. For a TV-show the costs just ramp very quickly since you have so much screen-time to deliver.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, but it's Apple.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MiddleOne posted:

You're using a what now

An extremely uncommon streaming device sold by a small, independent company named amazon.com

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ted Lasso is like 30 Rock. The show/sport that are the character's jobs is not as important as what the characters do with the rest of their time.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A really good football-based comedy where the club's fortunes and the games actually tie into it is Club de Cuervos on Netflix. It's about a football club in a fictional city in Mexico, and after its owner dies, his two half-siblings struggle over who gets to run the club. There's a ton more to it than that, but it's a really solid comedy first and foremost while also having the sports aspect stay central. I highly recommend it, especially because I feel like it never got the attention it should have (though I think in Latin America it's a lot more popular).

Ted Lasso actually does a number of plots that Club de Cuervos also did, which gave me some deja vu watching Ted Lasso.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
There are only really like 5 football plots, and Dream Team did most of them. Though I don't know if Ted Lasso will have Danny Rojas getting shot lifting the FA Cup

RIP Harchester United.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not with that Man City result!

Dream Team was such wonderful trash lmao

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
There’s always the ‘plane crash in the Andes’ plot line.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1445032540633448455?s=19

Looks like we'll be getting more football next season, don't know why they'd shell out cash for licensing archive footage otherwise

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Gonna be hilarious if it's for like one flashback of Roy's young career and that's it.

But I'm sure that trophy is gonna come into play one way or another.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Glad there will be more sports scenes next season, that tweet feels like it gives away a season plot point for this season but I'm sure we are all assuming it is going to happen anyway.
Assuming they make it back to the Premier League at the end of the season 2

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Azhais posted:

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1445032540633448455?s=19

Looks like we'll be getting more football next season, don't know why they'd shell out cash for licensing archive footage otherwise

Just out of curiosity, is Apple paying the money to use the premier league rights or is the PL paying for what is essentially advertisement through the show?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ihatepants posted:

Just out of curiosity, is Apple paying the money to use the premier league rights or is the PL paying for what is essentially advertisement through the show?

The former, no reason for one of if not the biggest league in football to pay anyone for publicity. Especially for the archive material. Good chance for more people to see how cool the Premiership trophy is though.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The only good trophy is the Stanley Cup. Also they should add back all the old sections to the cup so that it's like two stories tall and weighs like 400lbs.

Edit:
Just looked it up. Yeah, that's a pretty great trophy.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Not a patch on the Caramel Wafer Cup

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
oh poo poo that is a sick trophy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching season 2 of See. I am on episode 6 now. For a show about blind people, there are so many things I cant unsee.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0m_oKnbBz8

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could say that the general reaction to learning about a male mental health issue at the beginning of this episode is unrealistically negative but it really loving isn’t

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Lasso Finale Chat:

gently caress Nate

Go Sam

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We called it errbody

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo Nate’s tactic isn’t working, I’m very high and this is intense

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loving love Sam Richardson

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Oh Nate you have the technical know how but you lack the confidence or skill as an actual head coach.
That story line was my least favorite of the entire season. Although I do like how they've been having his hair go grey all season and now thats he's at Rupert's club he's tried to dye it.

Oh no Sam dont start a restaurant thats like the biggest trap for pro athletes. I know its not an end to his and Rebecca's relationship but I really wish it was. It has just never sat right for me even though I predicted it would happen well before it was shown. Maybe if it wasnt the age difference AND the power difference it wouldnt be so bad but it is. It would be just as bad a thing if the roles were reversed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

See guys!! I told you revealing sources is icky!! I win!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought that was fuckin perfect for the most part. It was weird because it felt like it didn’t really have any of this season’s issues at all, aside from too-perfect Keely and Roy which is def my least favourite storyline in the episode. Wrapped up everything else phenomenally and had a lot of great laughs. I cried like a maniac during Nate’s rant and then when Jamie gave Dani the ball and basically during the whole few minutes afterwards. Really beautifully-done, and a great capstone to a rocky but ambitious season that I’ll probably write more on later (but overall loved it as I’m sure is clear from my many posts on the subject). And the final shot/music choice was hilarious and perfect

Sam opening a Nigerian restaurant is a weirdly unsatisfying final scene for him lmao, agreed. Especially because I really enjoyed the resolution to his storyline otherwise.

I hope Nate dies in a grease fire. The loving SIGN dude jesus christ

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

See guys!! I told you revealing sources is icky!! I win!!

Same!!!

And that was the best episode of The season.

It’s still distant to season 1, but good job not totally loving up the landing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I really liked that final scene with Sam! Him getting a bit more of his old home in his new home reconciles pretty much everything the evil rich guy tried to tempt him with.

Was super confused about what we were supposed to take from the final Roy/Keeley scene though.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Nate is a dick :mad:

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Not really looking forward to watching this finale tonight. Season 2 has been a complete mess. Ted has been rendered essentially a side character in his own show, and it became apparent halfway through the season that secondary characters who worked well as seasoning (Roy and Keeley's stuff is especially apparent in this) just don't function as a main course. The stakes are thready when they exist at all and the quirky comedy has been replaced with soap opera melodrama covered with a tarp of British swears to make you think it's still the show you loved under there.

Weirdly enough, this season has reminded me of season 2 of One Punch Man. The show doesn't seem to know what to do with itself now that essentially everyone, with a few exceptions, is on Ted's side, so he gets relegated to the sideline while we get subjected to increasingly cloying manufactured relationship drama. Rebecca's wonderful two-faced scheming from Season 1 is replaced with playing App Store grabass and giggling about boys with Keeley. What should have been big, impactful revelations about Ted's past are undercut by bizarre pacing and weird thematic choices (the intercutting with Rebecca's recounting of finding her dad boning Miss Crumpetfield or whoever as though that's the emotional equivalent of being two rooms over when your dad shoots himself in the head just completely let all the air out of a scene the show has been setting up since the darts game). The delight at Roy being a teddy bear juxtaposed against his harsh persona has given way to him just being a teddy bear all the time and telling Keeley how great she is. Sam is written as so aggressively good-natured that you never get a sense of what he actually wants or if he has anything more than vague opinions about anything at all. The only people I'm not exhausted with are the ones used sparingly enough to escape the black hole of writing that's annihilating the core of the show; Higgins, Jamie Tartt, and to a lesser extent Beard, whose big night out was the first time I registered myself as actually having a good time watching this season.

At the end of the day, Season 2 has broken Season 1's spell of underdog spirit and genuine affect, and now just feels like a bunch of rich and famous people screwing around while a football club randomly wins or loses in the distant background. It's going to need a massive course correction in the writer's room before Season 3, but I'm not going to be surprised if they dig their heels in against "the haters" and render the show basically unwatchable. Optimism only gets you so far; eventually, you have to actually put the work in.

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 8, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you should watch the finale before you make a big post about how it’s all horrible in the middle of finale discussion

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The finale won’t really resolve those criticisms, though I did enjoy it a lot more than most of the year

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Escobarbarian posted:

Maybe you should watch the finale before you make a big post about how it’s all horrible in the middle of finale discussion

I watched the penultimate episode last night and those are my thoughts. The finale would have to be some kind of insane "and here's why all of this screwing around was actually worth it" masterstroke to retroactively change the fact that I really disliked most of this season for the reasons I've described

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the finale. Overall I think Ted's storyline has been really good, and Nate's turn to the dark side was also well done.

But I wish the writers realized that not every character needs to be forced into every episode if you don't have anything for them to do. Higgings is just there to throw out badly written dialogue, when I wish they would just use him when they had something good.

Overall I was disappointed in this season, but I hope the next one gets back on track.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I feel like that announcement about EPL stuff (next season speculation in spoilers) not only spoiled this season since we knew they'd get promoted but it also clearly spoiled next season. Why else would they make a big deal about getting the rights to use the trophy. They are going to win the EPL next season. I bet they will make it come down to the last game...vs West Ham.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh, it just doesn't matter. You could tell me all the football related stuff in advance of however many seasons this runs for and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to me. Which is good, because them getting promoted after the season they had is pretty ridiculous. But it's essentially incidental, which is for the best as getting relegated at the end of last season essentially didn't lead to any actual storylines about the fight back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah it was completely pointless. No plot related to the financial struggles or getting back. It all just slotted anyway, making it a complete distraction.