Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Roguelite is typically defined as having unlocks that make future runs easier, so if you’re not very good you’ll likely get a win eventually. For roguelikes, learning the game mechanics is the whole point and you don’t get any meta currencies or unlocks to help you.

So Hades is a roguelite because you can buy and upgrade stuff between runs. Dungeons of Dredmor a roguelike because you have to learn the abilities and different systems to get a build good enough to beat the final boss. This puts games like Binding of Isaac in a weied spot because it has unlocks, but your character never improves, and some of the items just make the item pool worse. And some unlocks just flat-out make the game harder.

What I’m saying is we should call everything an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I can't remember the name of a youtube channel. Who was the lady who had the video about the film 1917 and how she couldn't stop watching it during the COVID lockdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9HaeQhf7k

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That's the one. Thanks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

slay the spire, as a game that is turn-based and takes place on a grid of encounter squares and features permadeath, is obviously a rogue not a roguelike.

Thank you, that's right. Darkest dungeon has a similar problem where not only is there permadeath, but permadeath of many characters. So it's actually more rogue than rogue. A rouger.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
A retro rogue

A retrogue? A roguetro?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Darkest Dungeon is obviously an XCOM(or Cannon Fodder for Euros)-like due to its emphasis on squad management and unit permadeath overseen by an undying player character who acts as commander, as opposed to the Rogue formula of a player character whose death permanently ends that particular campaign.

This also means that Liberal Crime Squad (itself based on Rogue's fellow ASCII RPG Oubliette) and Dwarf Fortress, despite being some of the closest formal neighbors to Rogue, are not actually Rogue-likes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My least favorite genre name was action-adventure.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Roguelike is one of the terms that I actually think will be replaced by one of those mechanics-specific generic titles, as it's become increasingly less useful in communicating genre beyond "involves or invokes the idea of permadeath in some way". And "lite" doesn't help because it just creates a broader pool of potential meanings.

It might be something like "Traditional Roguelikes" or "Berlin Roguelikes" for things like Rogue, Nethack, and DCSS, something like "Run-Based Game" for things like Spelunky and FTL (with traditional roguelikes and deckbuilders being established subgenres), and something like "Run-Based Metaprogression Game" (the metaprogress is the game) for things like Rogue Legacy.

As always, genre is descriptive rather than prescriptive and the borders are porous. For instance, while Hades has metaprogression I'd think of it more as a run-based game than a run-based metaprogression game as the metaprogress matters less and less after the initial power spike.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Microcline posted:

Roguelike is one of the terms that I actually think will be replaced by one of those mechanics-specific generic titles, as it's become increasingly less useful in communicating genre beyond "involves or invokes the idea of permadeath in some way". And "lite" doesn't help because it just creates a broader pool of potential meanings.

It might be something like "Traditional Roguelikes" or "Berlin Roguelikes" for things like Rogue, Nethack, and DCSS, something like "Run-Based Game" for things like Spelunky and FTL (with traditional roguelikes and deckbuilders being established subgenres), and something like "Run-Based Metaprogression Game" (the metaprogress is the game) for things like Rogue Legacy.

As always, genre is descriptive rather than prescriptive and the borders are porous. For instance, while Hades has metaprogression I'd think of it more as a run-based game than a run-based metaprogression game as the metaprogress matters less and less after the initial power spike.

counterpoint: 'run-based metaprogression game' is four words and 'roguelite' is one

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

enjoyed Jenny's ramble video but i wonder if she's going to end up a dozen incomplete videos deep before she manages to finish one. we went from beanie babies to barbie to evermore to now dear even hansen

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

dmboogie posted:

counterpoint: 'run-based metaprogression game' is four words and 'roguelite' is one

RBMG, metaprogresser, I'm not in charge of naming things and we figured out how to deal with "Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game". The problem with "roguelite" is that the only thing it unambiguously communicates is that the game doesn't strictly follow the Berlin Interpretation, which is a space with everything from Slay the Spire to Rogue Legacy. And that's before attempting to untangle what "roguelike" itself has come to mean.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone a fan of James Somerton? Just got his newest video in my recs and it was a very good exploration of the toxicity and deviance of queers in media and the incredibly hosed up and complex relationship our community has with that that goes way deeper than 'gays monsters good/bad???'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDgWHNDdwoU

Any of his other vids especially good? I've just now started looking and he seems up my alley for queer media analysis.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pants Donkey posted:

mine's "character action"

imagine, if you will, an action game - a game where things happen - but there's a character saying one-liners during it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sexpig by night posted:

Anyone a fan of James Somerton?
I've only seen his one on Harry Potter (and one other that I can't remember) but I like what I've seen and keep meaning to check out more.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've only seen his one on Harry Potter (and one other that I can't remember) but I like what I've seen and keep meaning to check out more.

yea his Harry Potter fan video is next on my list to watch just because 'queer who loved Harry Potter growing up absolutely crushed to find JK is a goddamn lunatic' is big relatable.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

His video where he dissects Killing Stalking and analyzes why so many people view it as a romance instead of a horror story is really loving good, too (though content warnings apply, obviously).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I figure Roguelike means death is a permanent end and Roguelites have upgrades to make the loss of progress sting less. Though this makes me associate roguelikes with real groggy games and roguelites with most every modern interpretation as a result.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pants Donkey posted:

Mine is immersive sim, which is basically the current generations action-adventure except with extra pretentiousness.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I Before E posted:

Darkest Dungeon is obviously an XCOM(or Cannon Fodder for Euros)

UFO: Enemy Unknown, AND we bloody invented it. How dare you get Euro games wrong.

I mean for gently caress'S sake

(/s)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hel posted:

Mine is immersive sim, which is basically the current generations action-adventure except with extra pretentiousness.

Yeah "immersive sim" is a pretty terrible description of what it refers to.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I feel like rogue like/lite still gives you the gist of the feel of the game, and doesn't really need changing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah "immersive sim" is a pretty terrible description of what it refers to.

Would you rather they be called Shocklikes? 0451-ers? Tactical Espionage Action?

Kim Justice posted:

UFO: Enemy Unknown, AND we bloody invented it. How dare you get Euro games wrong.

I mean for gently caress'S sake

(/s)

I was not aware it was a British studio that created Enemy Unknown, but lo and behold. Learn something every day, I guess.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 5, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ghostlight posted:

mine's "character action"

imagine, if you will, an action game - a game where things happen - but there's a character saying one-liners during it.

I mean character action is pretty clear about what games it means though, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, God Hand, Revengeance, (In the HD era) Ninja Gaiden, God of War and similar, open combat with a high operation ceiling and often focusing on combos and learning just how hard you can style on enemies with intentional emphasis on making you feel cheesy action cool while you pull stuff off. It has a pretty defined niche because otherwise action games don't often incentivize you to SMOKIN SICK STYLE your way through it and get super intricate whether for fun or to lab monster it out, especially with something like God Hand where you outright get to play build-a-combo to do so, they're distinct enough to deserve a name.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 5, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I Before E posted:

Would you rather they be called Shocklikes? 0451-ers? Tactical Espionage Action?

This show the problem a bit. It's not the name "immersive sim" it's that it's used for too broad a thing.

It's simultaneously a rebranding of the Stealth Game genre, a way to give prestige to FPS games with systems beyond "shoot gun" and also just means "Action-Adventure I like".

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

checking off the action-adventure box in the Steam database to narrow my search down to only 95% of the games released in recorded history

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I Before E posted:

I was not aware it was a British studio that created Enemy Unknown, but lo and behold. Learn something every day, I guess.

Pretty sure they even called it UFO because of the heavy inspiration it took from the Gerry Anderson TV show of the same name. Man I should watch that again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

UFO was a loving great show.

Yardbomb posted:

they're distinct enough to deserve a name.
so distinct they got a name which is "exciting stuff happens and there's a person involved"

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Metal posted:

impressive, a definition of roguelike that excludes the game it's named after

Well it can't be like itself

That said I remember reading once that apparently most roguelikes are more nethacklikes

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ghostlight posted:

So distinct they got a name which is "exciting stuff happens and there's a person involved"

Yeah and it describes what they are fine because you know what it means because it's describing a very certain subset of games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It literally doesn't describe them.

Just because you know what's in the set of "character action" games doesn't mean the genre is well described by the name "character action". The genre might as well be called Devil Mayonetta.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

The genre might as well be called Devil Mayonetta.

Sounds good to me

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

In a certain sense, the "character" in "character action" performs the same function as the "mascot" in "mascot platformer", in that the Vibe of the main character, your Dante/Bayonetta/Viewtiful Joe, is central to the appeal of the work, in a way a term like "combo fighter" doesn't describe. Even though both games have complex fighting systems that incentivize chaining together combos of multiple hits, Tekken is not The King Game in the same way Bayonetta is The Bayonetta Game.

Even though it should be, I can't believe Nina Williams got a solo game and not King.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

"Action Adventure" makes sense if you delineate it from adventure games: it's a genre of action-centric games with adventure game-like exploration and puzzle-solving. As such, it is the term "adventure game" that should be be derided, not "action adventure". :bravo2:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Immersive sim is a perfectly cromulent genre name.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Pants Donkey posted:

Roguelite is typically defined as having unlocks that make future runs easier, so if you’re not very good you’ll likely get a win eventually. For roguelikes, learning the game mechanics is the whole point and you don’t get any meta currencies or unlocks to help you.

Are they though? IIRC, the continues progression between runs was actually something a lot of people took issue with, with the hallmark of a "pure roguelike" being that there is absolutely nothing retained and each run is a completely new, independent and random experience. So something more like Angband or Nethack.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

JordanKai posted:

"Action Adventure" makes sense if you delineate it from adventure games: it's a genre of action-centric games with adventure game-like exploration and puzzle-solving. As such, it is the term "adventure game" that should be be derided, not "action adventure". :bravo2:

Adventure games are actually adventure-likes there was an old game called Adventure. This hole goes deep.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Dogs Must Die from Yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z16u69pN_hs

Man we are nearly over with Stardust Crusaders

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

e X posted:

Are they though? IIRC, the continues progression between runs was actually something a lot of people took issue with, with the hallmark of a "pure roguelike" being that there is absolutely nothing retained and each run is a completely new, independent and random experience. So something more like Angband or Nethack.
That's what they're saying. Roguelikes are -actually- like Rogue with no continuation, while roguelites have meta progression and are basically just "[X] genre, but run-based with randomized levels and long-term character building". At this point roguelites are so far removed from roguelikes that they should go by something else, but much like Metroidvania, this is the term that has been established and there's no changing it now.

e: I wanna say Shiren the Wanderer back in 1995 introduced the concept of meta progression by having the warehouse and blacksmith, so that's where the splitting off started... another earlier roguelite would be Azure Dream for the PS1 where you had the town building, dating, and familiars/equipment keeping their stats as long as you can escape the dungeon with them. But I'm ignorant of the PC scene for the genre since I'm not really a fan of either like or lite.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 5, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The vanilla ice fight in Jojo is a weird tone change because we meet Dio’s elite group and they’re mostly jokers who don’t end up as much of a threat besides the Bird and Sword, then he shows up and takes out a third of the cast without much effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
It's not a true roguelike unless you suffer massive head trauma and total amnesia prior to playing, and it procedurally generates entirely new gameplay systems each time you boot it up.