Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

abigserve posted:

in BL3 I got a new gun that does 600k damage per bullet

then, without even advancing a level, I got one that does 10 million and has no ammo

Balancing??!

That rules, balancing sucks.

I'm half serious.

Number inflation is dumb, but I would like a game where you have guns without numbers but a vague Low-Medium-High sort of ranking. You don't make the gun stronger or whatever, and instead of hunting X version of the gun from a boss you combine character skills and gun mods to make a playstyle that works for you. Add a barrel that makes all bullets weaker but they're fireballs, combine with a character ability that makes fire hurt more. poo poo like that.

gently caress number inflation, but also if combos of mods and abilities break the game then it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Why the gently caress is there neither a PC port of the Power Stone collection nor an indie knock-off of it?

nvidiagouge posted:

The writing in Borderlands 2 was fun the first playthrough and got old really fast due to leaning heavy on very current pop culture references. I can't stand it at all now but I bet in 10 or 15 years it will be an entertaining sort of flashback for a lot of tangential things to spur on your memory of a very specific time period.

Does it though? Everyone always complains about how it's nothing but memes and....it's just...not. This isn't a defense of the quality of the writing or how funny it is, just that to the best of my memory 99% of the meme poo poo is isolated to incidental text like challenge names and such.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Borderlands dialogue being memes is a meme.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Borderlands 2 has the quest where the quest giver wants you to shoot them in the face and berates you for not shooting them in the face which puts its quest writing above 90% of other games.

I played Final Fantasy Origins and "Final Fantasy Dark Souls" was pretty fun for the tutorial until I learned it was "Final Fantasy Nioh" and piles of garbage loot I'm supposed to sort through popped out of the first few enemies and I just quit the demo and uninstalled it right there.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the loot in nioh isn't as big of a deal as people think, I barely thought about it until the end of the game

it lets you do some really crazy stuff that makes it worth it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I have no right to have an opinion on Nioh, i played what must have been 2 minutes before returning the rental, its tied with assassins creed odyssey for videogame that took least time for me to switch off

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John Murdoch posted:

Why the gently caress is there neither a PC port of the Power Stone collection nor an indie knock-off of it?

Does it though? Everyone always complains about how it's nothing but memes and....it's just...not. This isn't a defense of the quality of the writing or how funny it is, just that to the best of my memory 99% of the meme poo poo is isolated to incidental text like challenge names and such.

it's kind of self-consciously quirky, I think is people's issue with it and that's the shorthand for it.

i agree, I thought it was fine, and definitely way better than the bland pabulum of, e.g., the modern tombraiders or a Cod/Battlefield.

it's a very silly hobby, there's no reason it has to take itself seriously imo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Vakal posted:

I remember when I first started to really get into Morrowind I ended up coming down with one of the worst flus of my life.

After I recovered, whenever I tried to go back and play it again I would get a associative sick feeling and have to quit.

I remember my first night playing morrowind somehow because I was high and I totally missed the silt strider and tried to walk to balmora through the swamp. the first thing I found outside seyda neen was that wizard who falls out of the sky with the acrobatics scrolls and then i got owned by that bandit playing bridge troll

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The Nioh games really show that more is not always better. I don't like the loot system, but the games would still be pretty fun if they just consisted of the main campaign. What really wears me down are the repetitive side missions though, which you are nevertheless strongly incentivised to do because there's important upgrades in them. They're good 30 hour games stretched out to 60h+ length. It feels like games have gotten longer and longer over the last decade and I don't like this trend at all. I'll happily pay full price for a 10-15 hour game if contains no filler.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
BL3 has some decent writing in it and some excellent set pieces which is mired by the almost impressively bad dramatic/serious parts of the story. Overall it's a very well made, enjoyable game, it looks great, it plays great (balance issues notwithstanding, and they always fall on the side of "my character is now broken and this game is trivial" not the other way) but holy poo poo the story beats are bad

edit; for those that haven't played it, you spend the entire game fighting two main antagonists who are taunting you every two minutes and derailing the plot every 5 minutes. You kill both in boss fights where your reward is a 2 second long animation of them falling over and going "ugh!!!". It's insane how bad it is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Borderlands games have always been really bad with that, just no concept of pacing, stakes, or incorporating story into gameplay.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wanted to play through the borderlands games again, and I just can't. The bullet sponge enemies are just too bad

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo fans are annoying especially smash brothers fans and how excited they get over Nintendo's marketing deals for characters

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Isaac from Golden Sun should be in Smash as a playable character

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

hawowanlawow posted:

I wanted to play through the borderlands games again, and I just can't. The bullet sponge enemies are just too bad

I like the borderlands games more than most people on this forum and there's no effin way i would play them again

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jokes posted:

Isaac from Golden Sun should be in Smash as a playable character

Only if his moves are all emoticons and that one old farts name. Make his ultimate a giant text dump that's utter nonsense.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finished Disco Elysium at the weekend, its by far the best recommendation I've had on these forums but it was unfufilling because its a 30 hour game that's now finished

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

runnypoops posted:

Hey just an FYI for any isometric RPG fans like me dont buy encased, it stinks!

itry posted:

Also can confirm Encased not very good

I specifically searched forums to find what goons thought about Encased, because I'm really enjoying it so far (10+ hours in). It's a bit janky in places, but out of all Fallout clones (ATOM, Underrail, Wasteland, etc.), it's by far the most competent, restrained, and with the most working gameplay changes to the original formula. It's no Pillars of Eternity or Divinity, its scope is much more limited, but what it tries to do, I feel it's doing well enough.

Note that I'm playing it in Russian, but from what little I played in English, the translation seemed on about the same level of writing as the original. Voice acting is definitely flatter in English, though.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Finished Disco Elysium at the weekend, its by far the best recommendation I've had on these forums but it was unfufilling because its a 30 hour game that's now finished

did you try to be a cop or a drugged out commie

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/L-q6Gz_4Yqc

Sora from Kingdom Hearts is the final Smash Brothers character.

Commence the unpopular videogame opinions.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

OPAONI posted:

I tried to play it kinda straight, no drugs, no communism, average intelligence but great motor skills

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Hopefully now people can shut up about characters making it into Smash.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cartoon Man posted:

Smash is cool but i grew out of it, Kingdom Hearts sounds like a very weird thing for an adult to play

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cartoon Man posted:

Opinion incoming: I don't know anything or care to know anything about Smash.

Paladinus posted:

I specifically searched forums to find what goons thought about Encased, because I'm really enjoying it so far (10+ hours in). It's a bit janky in places, but out of all Fallout clones (ATOM, Underrail, Wasteland, etc.), it's by far the most competent, restrained, and with the most working gameplay changes to the original formula. It's no Pillars of Eternity or Divinity, its scope is much more limited, but what it tries to do, I feel it's doing well enough.

Note that I'm playing it in Russian, but from what little I played in English, the translation seemed on about the same level of writing as the original. Voice acting is definitely flatter in English, though.

TBH, I'm not sure what it is they were trying to do. Combat-wise, it's weaker than Wasteland 3. On the story and world design front, it's weaker than Underrail. General gameplay, quest design, character specialization is weaker than both. It has companions, but W3 has better ones. When I played it I could see the seams where it looked like they gave up on interactivity midway. Also it crashed my PC a couple of times.

Edit: Don't know about ATOM because that game seems like a gross game infested with racism and other weird crap.

itry fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 5, 2021

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Yeah underrail kicks the poo poo outta encased in every possible way. Atom was pretty fun just cuz it didn’t take itself too seriously and had allot of reactivity

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
ATOM's a janky, slav mess that stays in the so-dumb-its-funny-again territory. Wonder how the sequel is?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The first time I ever played Smash I was really cajoled into it by a guy who insisted it was great, and it was all he played all the time, so it must be good.

I thoroughly hated it, and totally kicked his rear end. I think you'd probably call what I was doing 'cheesing' it, or something, but it just seemed like the best strategy, and never ceased to be the winning play. (It was something like just constantly going underneath and electrocuting with Pikachu, or... something? I dunno, I don't remember it was a billion years ago).

That he couldn't ever do anything about it, and that it was so obvious to me the best plan, and the fact he'd been hyping it up so much and was kind of a dick made me just think, "Yeah, never mind".

I suspect if I'd been introduced to it in other circumstances, I'd have really got on with it, I loved Power Stone, its spiritual forebear.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

!Klams posted:

The first time I ever played Smash I was really cajoled into it by a guy who insisted it was great, and it was all he played all the time, so it must be good.

I thoroughly hated it, and totally kicked his rear end. I think you'd probably call what I was doing 'cheesing' it, or something, but it just seemed like the best strategy, and never ceased to be the winning play. (It was something like just constantly going underneath and electrocuting with Pikachu, or... something? I dunno, I don't remember it was a billion years ago).

That he couldn't ever do anything about it, and that it was so obvious to me the best plan, and the fact he'd been hyping it up so much and was kind of a dick made me just think, "Yeah, never mind".

I suspect if I'd been introduced to it in other circumstances, I'd have really got on with it, I loved Power Stone, its spiritual forebear.

lol

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

OPAONI posted:

fascism is hard mode

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

!Klams posted:

Same but replace Pikachu lightning bolt with "Falcon Punch"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Original Samus Gameplay was steadily building up your kamehameha beam while you avoided all conflict.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i liked link because i can just throw bombs everywhere. really i wanted to play as bomber man :shrug:

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I tried to play it kinda straight, no drugs, no communism, average intelligence but great motor skills

You need to be dumb as bricks and on as many drugs as possible. And all the communism

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

:unsmith:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

OPAONI posted:

You need to be dumb as bricks and on as many drugs as possible. And all the communism

and if you don't start every convo going I AM THE LAW are you really living?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

meat police posted:

and if you don't start every convo going I AM THE LAW are you really living?

alternatively "hi, have you found my gun?"

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I refunded Disco Elysium because the story and gameplay was not really interesting

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Altared State posted:

I refunded Disco Elysium because the story and gameplay was not really interesting

Thirty page derail incoming

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I've never played the game, does it actually have disco in it or is this a case of despicable false advertising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I've never played the game, does it actually have disco in it or is this a case of despicable false advertising?

this is not a very *disco* question