Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm not really sure about what they mean by "resell" to be honest, but their other documentation explains that the business version allows things like skinning the OS with your own branding, etc.

Not being able to sell it on e.g. ebay if you decide its not your thing would seem to fly in the face of their design ethos. It's probably just unfortunate wording.

e: Also good to keep in mind that KS doesn't allow changing the description of a reward once it has at least one backer, so they might be stuck with it.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't live in the country or in Australia, so I will be fine.

There are not many times that I am thankful for Wisconsin winters, but from the angle of "scorpions cant survive here", I LOVE Wisconsin winters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Great, now I want a VR game where I play as a scorpion.

Or a VR game where I get stung in the face by a scorpion, I'm not picky.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm not really sure about what they mean by "resell" to be honest, but their other documentation explains that the business version allows things like skinning the OS with your own branding, etc.

Not being able to sell it on e.g. ebay if you decide its not your thing would seem to fly in the face of their design ethos. It's probably just unfortunate wording.

e: Also good to keep in mind that KS doesn't allow changing the description of a reward once it has at least one backer, so they might be stuck with it.

Thanks. I couldn't wrap my head around a product being advertised as open with no account requirements, but not able to be resold. Custom branding and reskinning the UI makes way more sense.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Mega64 posted:

Great, now I want a VR game where I play as a scorpion.

Or a VR game where I get stung in the face by a scorpion, I'm not picky.

I nearly shat myself the first few times I got jumped by a giant radscorpion in Fallout 4 VR.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have this ingrained fear of a spider hiding in my headset. And with as delicate as the vr lenses are, I can't exactly blow air into the headset to make sure its clear.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
There is probably a market for a storage bag that you can seal completely tight and suspend from the ceiling with a sticky flytrap rope.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bit harsh to flush it down the bog, it's not even a big scorpion.

I grew up in the desert and was always warned that the smaller scorpions are more dangerous/venomous

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I heard the same thing. Supposedly the big species can just overpower their prey/enemies, but the small ones need the deadly poisons.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm more worried about little bugs like ants or whatever getting into my headset and loving it up than spiders. I had a bad antfestation last summer and I had more than a couple of ants crawl across the lens of my Rift S while I was wearing it. Probably a few dead ones still in there.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well this is a fear I didn't have but absolutely do now so thanks for that time to go shake out my headset

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
I was looking into getting a VR headset for the past few days. Reading around, it seems I should wait a bit to see what news is coming up later this month. However I have a question, as I was looking at getting the Quest 2. If I linked the headset to a fake facebook login I made a while back and that gets banned, can I link it to another one without going through some identify verification or w/e?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

pineapple3k posted:

I was looking into getting a VR headset for the past few days. Reading around, it seems I should wait a bit to see what news is coming up later this month. However I have a question, as I was looking at getting the Quest 2. If I linked the headset to a fake facebook login I made a while back and that gets banned, can I link it to another one without going through some identify verification or w/e?

the issue is your oculus library will get removed so if you buy any games for the headset you wont be able to play them on the new account. It is, however, insanely easy to pirate the in-headset games so it's not as risky as the thread suggests.

Though to be honest I wouldn't recommend a quest 2 for someone who really does not want a facebook account, its just asking for trouble

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
That's fine I guess, if I can link it to another account. Maybe sell it or pass it off to family or friends. I could link it to a real account, but I haven't used facebook in years, and reading some about the banning issues, I don't feel like sending them a picture of my license or passport. Don't know if that would trigger for me or not.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Sagebrush posted:

I heard the same thing. Supposedly the big species can just overpower their prey/enemies, but the small ones need the deadly poisons.

I was out in Eastern Washington rockhounding up on saddle mountain when I found a scorpion under a rock. At first I was confused because I didn't know we had scorpions this far north, then I got really excited because I didn't know there were scorpions this far north! Luckily the ones here aren't dangerous, I did the poor thing a frighten taking pictures of it to show my friends.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Interesting non-game application of VR kit. Wife in the emergency medicine field sent me the link, totally possible she’d find herself using these things in the foreseeable future:

https://syncthink.com/product/

In short: concussion analysis using eye tracking capable HMDs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone who wants a quest but doesn’t want a real Facebook account should all just friend each other and create a fake friends circle. I’m guessing with enough people it wouldn’t trip the nanny bots

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone who wants a quest but doesn’t want a real Facebook account should all just friend each other and create a fake friends circle. I’m guessing with enough people it wouldn’t trip the nanny bots

I have an account that says in the bio "This is for Oculus login purposes only, don't message me here, I won't respond." I think I joined the Oculus facebook group with it when I made it and I've logged into it maybe twice ever since then.

Like, my advice is make an account, see if it survives for a week. If it makes it that far, link it to Oculus and then never touch it again. It looks like the big majority of accounts who get banned are either in the "my account was immediately banned for being a bot" sample (which is why I suggest waiting at least a day or two on a new account before connecting it to Oculus) or the "I accidentally looked at Facebook too long and I couldn't resist telling some nazi to die in a fire" tragedy, which can be avoided by never actually looking at the hell site

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
My brother develops games for the Oculus and they were recently told “no more fake accounts, even for development”. When they asked “what does ‘fake account’ even mean?” they basically just got a shrug back.

That said, since then they have changed nothing and nothing has happened and my nephew has had an account with a fake name since December for his Oculus and has had no issues.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pineapple3k posted:

I could link it to a real account, but I haven't used facebook in years, and reading some about the banning issues, I don't feel like sending them a picture of my license or passport. Don't know if that would trigger for me or not.

My account is in a similar state to yours, I've even deactivated it a few times but if it's an account that's been used and around for a while its probably not going to get looked at, even if it hasn't been used in ages. I've never had any issue with mine, even if I haven't actually posted anything on Facebook in nearly 6 years.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

My brother develops games for the Oculus and they were recently told “no more fake accounts, even for development”. When they asked “what does ‘fake account’ even mean?” they basically just got a shrug back.

That said, since then they have changed nothing and nothing has happened and my nephew has had an account with a fake name since December for his Oculus and has had no issues.

I also dev and I made an account with a photo of a Link action figure's head as the profile photo and friended my boss and followed a meme group and then never logged in again. So far so good.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh dope this is a fortuitous time for this discussion for me, I've also been worrying about the Facebook banning stuff, if someone can actually explain the situation it'd be super helpful since it seems kind of nuts. I made a Facebook account like a year back and immediately got banned; I made it so I could make an art page for self promotion and hadn't even friended anyone or anything which I assumed was the reason, but after trying and failing the first appeal thing it lets you do I wasn't too invested so I gave up. Last May I tried again, literally while I was living on a different continent, and after a few weeks got banned again, I guess since they tied me via facial recognition? The reason is all so completely opaque I still don't really know what happened.

Anyway at the time I was like "well that sucks but whatever," but now I'm wanting to do a VR project again and am planning on getting a Quest 2 for it, but I guess the Facebook linking is actually mandatory now? I made a new account again a few days ago and haven't been banned just yet (and I went and added a friend this time), but is there any recourse if I tie my Oculus account to it and finding I do end up getting banned? I'm not even against using the Facebook account like a normal person, but kinda uneasy about putting down $300 if I'm just hosed if the algorithm decides to screw me.

Also I've been out of the loop for a while, what's this new thing happening in the next month that people are hinting at?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 6, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Koramei posted:

Anyway at the time I was like "well that sucks but whatever," but now I'm wanting to do a VR project again and am planning on getting a Quest 2 for it, but I guess the Facebook linking is actually mandatory now? I made a new account again a few days ago and haven't been banned just yet (and I went and added a friend this time), but is there any recourse if I tie my Oculus account to it and finding I do end up getting banned? I'm not even against using the Facebook account like a normal person, but kinda uneasy about putting down $300 if I'm just hosed if the algorithm decides to screw me.

check out this article about oculess, it's now possible to remove the facebook requirement once you've activated with a facebook account

you lose access to some stuff but you can sideload so it should still be possible to develop with it

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tip posted:

check out this article about oculess, it's now possible to remove the facebook requirement once you've activated with a facebook account

you lose access to some stuff but you can sideload so it should still be possible to develop with it

Sweet, gonna check this out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They gave me a 30% code this month that expires tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to use it on.
Those of you that have tried one or more of these, give me your suggestions:

Demeo
Sweet Surrender
Sam and Max VR
Sniper Elite VR

I think I have most of what's worth having aside from these at this point; I have Puzzling Places on my wishlist too, but since that's only $15 and the rest of these are $30, I'm thinking I should make the best of the discount.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

DoubleT2172 posted:

I keep mine in a sealed harbor freight pelican knockoff to make sure this stuff doesn't happen

Which one did you get? I have the Apache 3800 but I only use it to travel my Index. Fits the whole kit perfect but packing it in isn't a casual affair. I love how compact it is though, figured my future hmd will have less poo poo to carry with it to so will fit even better.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Which one did you get? I have the Apache 3800 but I only use it to travel my Index. Fits the whole kit perfect but packing it in isn't a casual affair. I love how compact it is though, figured my future hmd will have less poo poo to carry with it to so will fit even better.

I also got the 3800 and agreed it's not a casual affair but i don't want to have it get dust or anything on the lenses so i always pack at least the HMD and cables away post use. I also only put the HMD and controllers in the case, not the lighthouses or anything

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say it dips towards plagiarism a little bit tbh. It's entirely possible and valid to draw from something else to make your own thing, literally everything does to some extent, but when they're cribbing off Minecraft right down to the UI style it's a bit eyebrow-raising.
What? Are we talking about the same game? Ancient Dungeon is plagiarism? We're saying this looks exactly like Minecraft?

"Down to the UI style"? What part of AD's UI looks like Minecraft?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

raditts posted:

They gave me a 30% code this month that expires tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to use it on.
Those of you that have tried one or more of these, give me your suggestions:

Demeo

I think I have most of what's worth having aside from these at this point; I have Puzzling Places on my wishlist too, but since that's only $15 and the rest of these are $30, I'm thinking I should make the best of the discount.

I can't recommend Demeo, a friend and myself bought it a while back and got through a couple games of it and haven't been back. It's a great concept and it's really really well done and fun to interact with but without any progression or anything you're starting from scratch every time you play. It feels like the framework of an incredible tabletop game but there's not much driving me to come back to it. Also if you don't have friends to play with it's definitely a skip.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I really wanted to love Demeo, but lack of save kills it for me. Haven't played past my first few games, and I def would have refunded if the first game hadn't taken me outside of the return window. Table of Tales is much better if you want a similar single player experience.

Out of that list I'd say Sniper Elite gets my vote, it was surprisingly good.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are not many times that I am thankful for Wisconsin winters, but from the angle of "scorpions cant survive here", I LOVE Wisconsin winters.

They have scorpions in places like South Dakota that have insanely brutal winters. It's not the weather that's keeping them, it's that even scorpions don't want to live in Wisconsin

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just got this email

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Gonna dip you in the vats

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Vib Rib posted:

What? Are we talking about the same game? Ancient Dungeon is plagiarism? We're saying this looks exactly like Minecraft?

"Down to the UI style"? What part of AD's UI looks like Minecraft?

I'll be honest. as someone who's spent the last 24 hours researching mod packs and setting up a server, you could tell me thats a modpack for minecraft and I wouldn't blink. I'm pretty average joe when it comes to MC in general and really the similarity to me is there for sure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The game looks nothing like Minecraft, just like American Dad looks nothing like Family Guy.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I got a $10 credit on the oculus store. I was thinking of getting yuki but I can’t remember if it’s cross buy with steam through the oculus store. Otherwise looking for cheapish and preferable cross buy stationary games if anyone has any recommendations

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SnatchRabbit posted:

I was thinking of getting yuki but I can’t remember if it’s cross buy with steam through the oculus store.

nothing is cross buy between steam and oculus, only between quest store and the oculus PCVR store

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

The Eyes Have It posted:

The Lynx headset launched on kickstarter today I've been following this French company for a while, it's a working and complete design basically using KS for preorders ahead of full manufacturing.

It's got really interesting optics, plus a seamless full-color passthrough for AR/VR. Also, it's not locked to anything or any service, it's being explicitly made open. Compatible with SteamVR via wireless streaming, plus native applications, etc (it's Android 10 under the hood) Cool to see an independent with an actual working design that is genuinely different.

Backed this today, I think it's really interesting how not-so-far off they ended up from the Quest 2's price. And it comes with SideQuest too, so I'll have access to a whole other library of games on top of SteamVR streaming. It's more futuristic than anything else on the market lol. I think the focus on *good* passthrough will really open it up for non-game (or hell, why not play some Eleven with passthrough on) applications. Basically, stuff I couldn't already do.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Theres something to be said for the Go's simple interior where there were no cracks or crevices for anything to hide...

yeeeeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

EbolaIvory posted:

I'll be honest. as someone who's spent the last 24 hours researching mod packs and setting up a server, you could tell me thats a modpack for minecraft and I wouldn't blink. I'm pretty average joe when it comes to MC in general and really the similarity to me is there for sure.
I don't know what to say. It looks to me like any other low res voxel game, and more in the sense of voxel models than in the sense of Minecraft's voxel world-blocks. I've played it and Vivecraft and it definitely felt more Compound than MC. I'd say it's just a matter of opinion but at the very least I can't see how it looks like an intentional ripoff of Minecraft specifically, or how the UI is apparently identical.