Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rime posted:

Okay, but then why are you (doomers collectively, not you in the singular) still posting here? You all seem to be aware of what the allowed range of discussion is in this thread. You also appear to believe that this range of discussion is insufficient.

But every time someone wants to actually discuss things within the allowed range, one of you is here to poo poo all over their ideas. Every time one of you lemming-posts, you're here to whine about them getting probed/banned.

It's 100% you lot's fault that "these conversations always go in circles or end in moderation". If you want that to change, be my loving guest.

they really can't loving handle the idea that some people just want to talk about how hosed everything is, that there are no good solutions, and even the unethical ones they accuse us of WANTING wouldn't fix poo poo anyway

they couldn't even grok the "you got cancer and 6 months to live" analogy

they also can't understand that a lot of doomers probably do more than most to try to fix things at a personal and organizational level as well (admittedly i could do a fuckload more, though i will die childless so i already win that "competition")

*do more or have done more than most normal people, i mean

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I have a modest proposal

Bomb the ocean

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

speaking of magical solutions, thanos snapping every human, manmade object, and byproduct of our activities out of existence would do the trick

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cold on a Cob posted:

they also can't understand that a lot of doomers probably do more than most to try to fix things at a personal and organizational level as well (admittedly i could do a fuckload more, though i will die childless so i already win that "competition")

yeah i have zero interest in sharing exactly what I'm up to fix things like I have something to prove to anyone but myself.

You better believe we out here though

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

It's time to blow up a mako reactor, I cut off my hand to replace it with a machine gun but all I could find was a nerf maverick

Please tell me you have the materia

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

a real hero would've destroyed the holy materia and ensured that meteor did its job

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

yeah i have zero interest in sharing exactly what I'm up to fix things like I have something to prove to anyone but myself.

You better believe we out here though

among other things, my dad spent the last six months of his life ranting about the loving doctor that missed his cancer until it was too late. it made him feel good, i think.

i actively encourage everyone to do their worthless poo poo that won't move the needle

open your eyes wide, take it all in, accept your fate, and scream into the void

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rime posted:

Okay, but then why are you (doomers collectively, not you in the singular) still posting here? You all seem to be aware of what the allowed range of discussion is in this thread. You also appear to believe that this range of discussion is insufficient.

But every time someone wants to actually discuss things within the allowed range, one of you is here to poo poo all over their ideas. Every time one of you lemming-posts, you're here to whine about them getting probed/banned.

It's 100% you lot's fault that "these conversations always go in circles or end in moderation". If you want that to change, be my loving guest.

propose to this thread something that 1) actually prevents catastrophic biosphere collapse and 2) is even a little plausible will happen.

nothing fits both of those requirements. you seem mad that you can’t think of something and that we won’t lie to you that things will be okay. they won’t be.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Just to be clear I've been doing a bit all day, I haven't spontaneously developed Lib-brain.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh lol I didn’t see that was you

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Good to know the windmills haven't tilted you yet.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Rime posted:

Just to be clear I've been doing a bit all day, I haven't spontaneously developed Lib-brain.

I like your material, was it made from recycled poo poo tickets

Asking for a friend

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The D&D climate thread evolution and devolution is pretty funny

Their increasing anxiety and meltdowns as they run out of excuses isn't what is funny, just that even the walled garden of protected intellectual DeBaTe can only flip their poo poo and melt down if they try and honestly talk about the situation.

The only hope left is to basically go write climate fanfic where Elon Musk discovers an alien fusion reactor and Doctor Doom's time platform

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mr.Tophat posted:

I have a modest proposal

Bomb the ocean

they tried to in the 60s, they nuked it even, and it did nothing!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The only hope left is to basically go write climate fanfic where Elon Musk discovers an alien fusion reactor and Doctor Doom's time platform

posted this elsewhere - the latest time this happened was today at lunch:

Cold on a Cob posted:

my boss keeps bringing up The Great Reset so i keep bringing up The Great Filter in response.

lol. lmao.

and after i explained what the great filter is he brought up Elon Musk and i lmaod

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

they tried to in the 60s, they nuked it even, and it did nothing!

It created godzilla and I think that's an okay result

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The D&D climate thread evolution and devolution is pretty funny

Their increasing anxiety and meltdowns as they run out of excuses isn't what is funny, just that even the walled garden of protected intellectual DeBaTe can only flip their poo poo and melt down if they try and honestly talk about the situation.

a fusion reactor wouldn't save us, we would just use the additional free unlimited power to consume even more

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rime posted:

I just wrote a serious post and scrolled and saw this. Close call.

If anyone seriously doesn't understand why people in a doomed world post doom commiserate with other people posting doom feel free to ask or just think about it for five or ten minutes instead

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

a fusion reactor wouldn't save us, we would just use the additional free unlimited power to consume even more

thats where the time machine comes in genius

we detonate the fusion reactor in the primordial ooze

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mr.Tophat posted:

I have a modest proposal

Bomb the ocean

The ocean has been absorbing the energy equivalent of a 300kt nuclear bomb every second for the past three to four decades. :science:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rime posted:

The ocean has been absorbing the energy equivalent of a 300kt nuclear bomb every second for the past three to four decades. :science:

Is this good? Or bad? :)

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
it sounds pretty loving sweet to me

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Rime posted:

Hm.

The ocean is very big, but still... it seems like you couldn't do that for very long before it caused... problems

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like the ocean needs to calm down

quick, someone write their senator

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
yeah seriously if there were that much energy going into the ocean surely someone would do something about it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
wow. that's a lot of stored energy, can i burn ocean water in a car engine??

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

so you’re telling me that nuking hurricanes won’t stop the storms

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Tekne posted:

so you’re telling me that nuking hurricanes won’t stop the storms

if a nuclear-hypercane obliterates a large swath of landmass, but nobody lives there, does it make a sound?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

Hm.

The ocean is very big, but still... it seems like you couldn't do that for very long before it caused... problems

nah, nature is infinite we can do whatever and there'll always be more frontier

[presses finger to ear]

this just in, the poles are opening up to development, stay tuned to hear our analysts discuss the rich natural resources and verdant land waiting underneath the former glaciers and permafrost

apparently there's so much natural gas up there it's just coming out of the ground and our energy company sponsors are calling it a bonanza unseen since the gushers of the early 20th century

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Protagonist posted:

if a nuclear-hypercane obliterates a large swath of landmass, but nobody lives there, does it make a sound?

A long running experiment which will finally return conclusive results in 60-80 years! :downs:

Rime has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Oct 7, 2021

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

even if it’s pointless, air bursting a tsar bomba in the eye of a massive hurricane has artistic and inspirational merit

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Rime posted:

aw I was hoping to start charging a commission for the material generated over there before you dropped the bit

my favorite part is the constant "we're trying to have a mature discussion about serious ideas over here and you doomers keep ruining it" interspersed with the thread just being 100% loving dead when nobody is trolling it. I think they still think Sharkie was being sincere, even

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i guarantee we can stop a hurricane with nukes, we have shitloads of nukes

we haven't even tried to make bigger ones for a long time

make me president

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Irony.or.Death posted:

aw I was hoping to start charging a commission for the material generated over there before you dropped the bit

my favorite part is the constant "we're trying to have a mature discussion about serious ideas over here and you doomers keep ruining it" interspersed with the thread just being 100% loving dead when nobody is trolling it. I think they still think Sharkie was being sincere, even

I'm LOL'in at being Lord Doom: Goon Thanos, bogeyman of D&D, guiding the doomers from exile here in doomland where we do nothing and bitch about it, while simultaneously building a gigawatt of wind converters in under half a decade. Alas, if only this mythical lifestyle of idle nihilism achieving naught were mine, I sigh, punching out hour 36 of this week tonight. :sigh:

It's all sold to fossil fuel companies on 25 year contracts so that they can shift the carbon credits over to the O&G division and declare those operations carbon neutral on paper, of course. 100% of it. :ssh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

I sigh, punching out hour 36 of this week tonight. :sigh:

i thought you were quitting your wind job?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rime posted:

i was just catching up on unread posts and when i realized you were the one posting that garbage i thought i was having a stroke

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stereotype posted:

Narrator: unlimited free fusion power wasn't free, the companies offering it charged more than they ever did for coal, gas, or nuclear, claiming they needed to to "recoup their R&D costs."

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
yeah its fun how the people who yell the loudest always do the least.

every time a leftist gets mad online they should have to prove they donated a fresh $5 to a charity

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
\

Rime has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Sep 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
rime have you never seen a movie

don't you know how "one last job" always ends