Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think one important thing to remember about Sin is that the one in FFX still has a host that hasnt been fully consumed by yu yevon yet. ones in the past that were around for decades or centuries were probably a lot more dangerous and may have attacked larger settlements like Bevelle and Luca. I think a part of sin deterrence may be like someone else said and involve the Crusaders using sinspawn to lure it away to a less populated area where Sin slaughters them and is then satisfied enough to go back to sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Yeah Jecht was probably able to hold more control over it than others because he was actually a dream like Tidus. Doesn't he say he attacks Tidus near the beginning of the game to help convince Tidus to become a Guardian by displaying the power of Sin.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was Sin being more aggressive toward technology something confirmed in Spira or was that another lie from Yevon?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don’t believe Yevon’s lies!

I’m Captain Wakka of the Besaid Aurochs!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

It was the original purpose of the monster. To be a devastating first strike against the Machina using Bevelle as tensions were growing between them and Zanarkand.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FFX kicks rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FFX kicks rear end.

And thats why it should get a pixel demake

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

It probably has the most interesting world and history in the series but I was never big on the gameplay or characters, probably cause of the mostly bad voice acting and I prefer ATB over the Legend of Heroes Trails style combat system.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think gameplay mods generally don't work with Moguri, Alternate Fantasy has a special version for compatibility. I was hoping you had something I didn't!

I had wanted to try that David Bowie Edition (I think a goon made it?) but at this point I just can't play without Moguri

Yup I'm the goon who made DBE. Basically in order to make a mod work with Memoria/Moguri the mod needs to be saved in a dramatically different format than normal. While it's possible to do this in the go-to modtool, Hades, my initial impression is that it is very cumbersome. Hades already seems to have problems with mods with lots of different kinds of changes and will crash without warning if you try to save something it doesn't like, it's a powerful tool but it's slow to load content, often arcane and can be frustrating to troubleshoot.

I do intend to attempt adding Moguri support after I toss in some bonus fights and have them bug free. I've been holding off on it since it's likely to be a massive pain in the rear end and testing is going to have to be as arduous as the first iterations of the original mod were. It's just a lot.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Yup I'm the goon who made DBE. Basically in order to make a mod work with Memoria/Moguri the mod needs to be saved in a dramatically different format than normal. While it's possible to do this in the go-to modtool, Hades, my initial impression is that it is very cumbersome. Hades already seems to have problems with mods with lots of different kinds of changes and will crash without warning if you try to save something it doesn't like, it's a powerful tool but it's slow to load content, often arcane and can be frustrating to troubleshoot.

I do intend to attempt adding Moguri support after I toss in some bonus fights and have them bug free. I've been holding off on it since it's likely to be a massive pain in the rear end and testing is going to have to be as arduous as the first iterations of the original mod were. It's just a lot.

yeah, I figured it'd be a huge pain in the rear end. no aspersions cast here

whenever you do begin testing, feel free to include me, I've enjoyed doing that kind of thing for other mods

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

yeah, I figured it'd be a huge pain in the rear end. no aspersions cast here

whenever you do begin testing, feel free to include me, I've enjoyed doing that kind of thing for other mods

I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks. I'm hoping to get it going fairly soon, just need to stop distracting myself.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah Jecht was probably able to hold more control over it than others because he was actually a dream like Tidus. Doesn't he say he attacks Tidus near the beginning of the game to help convince Tidus to become a Guardian by displaying the power of Sin.

Tidus' narration mentions it after Operation Mi'ihen goes tits up, saying that Sin slaughtered everyone to show Tidus that, father or not, he has to be stopped.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was Sin being more aggressive toward technology something confirmed in Spira or was that another lie from Yevon?

Its confirmed because Yu Yevon wants the Spirans to suffer and never find dream zanarkand so destroying everything that could possibly make reaching it easier is top priority

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There are elements of FFX's storytelling that aren't the best. The idea that Dream Zanarkand is just A Place that anybody could take a boat to for example never occurred to me or I suspect most players because it's loving called Dream Zanarkand and they mention how Tidus and Jectht "became real" and Auron says stuff like "being dead has its advantages, I was able to ride Sin to your Zanarkand."

This all sounds very mystical and metaphysical and not so mundane as DZ is literally just a location you can go to and walk away from at your leisure.

Maybe there's something lost in translation or culture. In my own amateurish layman studies of philosophy, this sharp dualism between reality and unreality isn't as common everywhere. "Dreams" vs. 'Reality" might not mean exactly the same thing to people in Japan. I have no idea, that is just something I've wondered about in more recent times.

EDIT:

Like, you're telling me in a thousand frickin' years nobody in DZ except Jecht ever thought to go out to sea on a boat? Maybe can "headcanon" this too that this is more signs of how Yu Yevon is deteriorating, I dunno

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 6, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dream Zanarkand being an actual place anyone can actually go to rubbed me the wrong way when the notion was first brought, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized an actual, literal ghost town is actually an amazing concept.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also it jibes with the concept of the Aeons. If one Fayth can dream up a dragon that can punch you to death, a bunch of Fayths can dream up an entire city.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dream Zanarkand being an actual place anyone can actually go to rubbed me the wrong way when the notion was first brought, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized an actual, literal ghost town is actually an amazing concept.

It’s also really beautiful aesthetically. Like you can kind of imagine a misty, brightly colored city just sort of floating above the ocean

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
One of final fantasy's big flaws when it comes to storytelling is that a lot of important details for the games end up buried in a guide book that was never released outside of Japan. I think its likely the people living in Dread Zanarkand were probably conditioned in some way to not want to leave the city and Jecht just ended up being unlucky because he was practicing blitzball in the ocean when Sin was nearby. No one on the mainland is going to find Dream Zanarkand because Sin has forced the world into technological stagnation and anyone that gets close to it via boat is probably crushed by Sin too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

In a mod that is generally much, much easier than Unleashed, Necron is about equal to Unleashed Necron in how ridiculously hard he is.

I never beat him so all I can do is wish you luck. Try to have Eiko to Dispel that Regen immediately is all I can remember.

I did it in an incredibly stupid and just lucky manner with lv 80 characters after like 10+ attempts.

So all of necron's attacks are elemental and he really isn't a threat damage wise, blue shockwave and his dummies doing -aga spells are what usually murder someone.
Ribbons and protect rings can cover the agas and holy spells. Neutron Ring is earth so I threw on any armour that would guard against that if they didn't have a protect ring.

To handle blue shockwave instead of trying to have Eiko heal through it auto-regen and auto-potion handled that. Regen ticks though animations so since auto-potions take up time they usually healed enough to cover the follow up spell.

Vivi was the main damage dealer with return magic and magic element null. Necron will start adding absorbing elements part way through the fight so you need the null element ability. Vivi basically will use focus for like a few turns and then start throwing flares as much as possible.

Zidane I had just attacking constantly since he did around 7000 a hit. Quina I was going to have do support like remedies and stat cures but I ended up just having them throw Lv5 Flare constantly (Necron's Lv75)

At that point it's just luck and a lot of time, if grand cross decides to throw too many status effects on a character you're probably going to spend too much time covering those to keep up with Necron's healing.

The winning fight was boring and the worst grand cross did was insta death and doom, you have no idea on if you're making progress or not and with grand cross it could be reset at any moment.

I looked up his stats afterwards and turns out he has 40000 hp which is less then vanila with 54100 hp. It's the healing that makes it a pain.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

One of final fantasy's big flaws when it comes to storytelling is that a lot of important details for the games end up buried in a guide book that was never released outside of Japan. I think its likely the people living in Dread Zanarkand were probably conditioned in some way to not want to leave the city and Jecht just ended up being unlucky because he was practicing blitzball in the ocean when Sin was nearby. No one on the mainland is going to find Dream Zanarkand because Sin has forced the world into technological stagnation and anyone that gets close to it via boat is probably crushed by Sin too.

Dread Zanarkand sounds like a badass techno-pirate

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

I looked up his stats afterwards and turns out he has 40000 hp which is less then vanila with 54100 hp. It's the healing that makes it a pain.

It may wind up being much higher than that. Because monster HP in FF9 cannot go beyond 65535 by default, modding in higher totals involves adding a counter in the monster's script that silently changes the enemy's HP once it drops below a certain threshold. So for example when Necron gets knocked down below 20000 HP an invisible counter might fire off to bring him back to 40000 HP and this may be possible several times per fight. Zeromus in FF4 is meant to work the same way in most 2D versions, that's why he has effectively 100000ish HP. IIRC it's also possible in some versions to kill Zeromus before the refresh happens if timed correctly.

In vanilla the same idea is used for special enemy death animations as well. Ozma actually has 65535 total HP, but when it gets under 10000 HP a script fires to end the fight and force it to perform its special death animation. Presumably I think this is why multi-hit attacks aren't in the game, from what I understand they work kind of screwy.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 6, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

What is David Bowie Edition anyway? I haven't really messed with mods of PS1+ era games, but the name alone intrigues me.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

DQ6 has a similar concept too but I think it makes less sense.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Mega64 posted:

What is David Bowie Edition anyway? I haven't really messed with mods of PS1+ era games, but the name alone intrigues me.

Basically a personal project I started a couple years ago, scope kept expanding and I eventually threw it online. It's meant to be a lightish gameplay remix/rebalance, keeps the vibe of the classic game but introduces new stuff to screw around with. Also tried to add some quality of life improvements and balance the game around the Steam version's lower encounter rate. I wanted it to be like LFT for Final Fantasy Tactics if that helps at all.

To be honest the David Bowie thing was because I had named each of Zidane's skills after Bowie songs and I couldn't think of an actual good name for the mod. It's purely a gimmick.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It may wind up being much higher than that. Because monster HP in FF9 cannot go beyond 65535 by default, modding in higher totals involves adding a counter in the monster's script that silently changes the enemy's HP once it drops below a certain threshold. So for example when Necron gets knocked down below 20000 HP an invisible counter might fire off to bring him back to 40000 HP and this may be possible several times per fight. Zeromus in FF4 is meant to work the same way in most 2D versions, that's why he has effectively 100000ish HP. IIRC it's also possible in some versions to kill Zeromus before the refresh happens if timed correctly.

I was using the Hades Workshop tool to check that but it makes more sense the way you put it. I should check how the scripts work for him.

Just on Alternate Fantasy: I thought that the changes to steal so it's guaranteed you'd get all items within 5-10 steal attempts would feel better but honestly its better off being a 100% chance when there's multiple items on an enemy anyway.

Also Virus is dumb and shouldn't exist.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Golden Goat posted:

I did it in an incredibly stupid and just lucky manner with lv 80 characters after like 10+ attempts.

So all of necron's attacks are elemental and he really isn't a threat damage wise, blue shockwave and his dummies doing -aga spells are what usually murder someone.
Ribbons and protect rings can cover the agas and holy spells. Neutron Ring is earth so I threw on any armour that would guard against that if they didn't have a protect ring.

To handle blue shockwave instead of trying to have Eiko heal through it auto-regen and auto-potion handled that. Regen ticks though animations so since auto-potions take up time they usually healed enough to cover the follow up spell.

Vivi was the main damage dealer with return magic and magic element null. Necron will start adding absorbing elements part way through the fight so you need the null element ability. Vivi basically will use focus for like a few turns and then start throwing flares as much as possible.

Zidane I had just attacking constantly since he did around 7000 a hit. Quina I was going to have do support like remedies and stat cures but I ended up just having them throw Lv5 Flare constantly (Necron's Lv75)

At that point it's just luck and a lot of time, if grand cross decides to throw too many status effects on a character you're probably going to spend too much time covering those to keep up with Necron's healing.

The winning fight was boring and the worst grand cross did was insta death and doom, you have no idea on if you're making progress or not and with grand cross it could be reset at any moment.

Necron has 40,000 HP x 4 in Alternate Fantasy. When you deplete 40,000, he consumes an orb and gets 40,000 more. Or maybe it was 30,000 I can't remember. This happens three times, and apparently he also gets faster each time.

Anyway reading your post made me glad I gave up on that fight. My party was around level 45, I'm not sure I could have ever done it without incredible luck and/or hours of grinding. Like you said, Grand Cross is the only dangerous attack but it's just so variable and impossible to completely protect against

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So grinding was actually quick in AF. The hawaii set gives you a 400% exp increase when you're over lv50 so each battle in memoria gave everybody like 1-2 levels.

That paired with speed boosts made things fairly quick.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

AFAIK, Dream Zanarkand wasn't called that until further down the line. I don't think it had a distinctive name to differentiate it from the real Zanarkand. Honestly, the Dream title is kind of a mistake in English, at least, for making clear what it is. Calling it Aeon Zanarkand or something would have cleared it up before the confusion ever started.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Golden Goat posted:

-ga spells, you mean. We went over this!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Agaga

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

jokes posted:

-ga spells, you mean. We went over this!

Sorry could you run through it again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wake me up before you -agaga

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Fal'Ciaga

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lady Waterga

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This reminds me that in SOPFFO that WHM has Dia as a spell and I have been playing too much SMT games because I tried to heal with that and whoops Dia does not do that

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a dream I was playing FF6PR and Celes got hit with the "Permanently Butter" status and I didn't have any Toast items in my inventory so she stayed that way for a while.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ter, Terra, Terga

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

jokes posted:

Ter, Terra, Terga

Ter, Terra, Teraga

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
A status effect, but it’s just called “Status Effect : )” and appears to do nothing except give you an overwhelming sense of paranoia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Status effect of "Not Tired" that you cure by looking at the world map