Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

Ludosity is a PC dev through and through, they aren't even the ones handling the console ports - I highly recommend anyone interested in the game gets it on PC. It will get hotfixes first (though bigger patches/DLC will be simultaneous) and there's a good chance it'll have a PC beta branch in the future. Plus mods yeah.

They have said they plan to continuously improve the game both in gameplay and polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

mango sentinel posted:

They have said they plan to continuously improve the game both in gameplay and polish.

Every company says that about every game.

I believe them though, I feel like they really wanted to make this game a monster and had the talent/willpower to do so but just ran dry on cash.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The game is weirdly good and feels great to play. I've only played about 5 matches but online seemed fine at around 70ms. The game is fast paced as hell and really neat, so I hope the devs get more money to polish the game and add single player for the casuals. It's fun to play a platform fighter not on a gc controller and have it feel good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm assuming the voice thing is because CBS are cheap as hell

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
e: oops nvm

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I'm really frustrated with the implementation of autocombos in MBTL as a new player. Because most messed-up or improvised inputs will result in autocombo, it feels like you either have to do perfectly clean scripted & practiced inputs or you may as well mash, with little room inbetween to play around. I found learning my first combo significantly more fun in UNIST even though Phonon's bnb is a lot more complex than Saber's, here I feel like I hit a wall before even getting to play against another human being...

There's a lot I like about the game, it looks & feels great, really I enjoy just about everything so far except for this one mechanic that's really screwing with me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah. autocombos are bad in type lumina because melty is one of the most fun games to dick around with combo routes in ever, and there's this giant chain around your ankle when you try and do that in type lumina

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Melty Blood's auto combos actually kind of killed it for me as a complete casual, because I was playing it on the dreamcast emulator, and it was way more fun to figure out that stuff on the fly and mix it up. A lot of moves chain into each other really well when you mash, but if you press any button after starting the auto combo it goes into the next part of the auto combo, meaning you can't really mix stuff up. Then again, I could maybe just not be understanding the mechancis behind it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Boba Pearl posted:

Melty Blood's auto combos actually kind of killed it for me as a complete casual, because I was playing it on the dreamcast emulator, and it was way more fun to figure out that stuff on the fly and mix it up. A lot of moves chain into each other really well when you mash, but if you press any button after starting the auto combo it goes into the next part of the auto combo, meaning you can't really mix stuff up. Then again, I could maybe just not be understanding the mechancis behind it.

nah, you've pretty much got it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the auto combos are if anything at their worst for the players theyre ostensibly there to cater to. you have to actually know the game to understand how to negate them and work around them and how to do the inputs precisely enough not to trigger them, and their existence discourages new players from engaging with melty's fun combo system at all.

literally all they need to do is patch in an option to turn them off. there no unique functions or moves tied to autocombos so surely thatd be an easy thing to do. its a shame cause i really enjoy the game otherwise. i dont think autocombos kill the game or anything and i dont mind them existing as an option, but them being mandatory at all times is kind of ridiculous.

i dont even mind the autocombo in fighterz because its more freeflowing, you can move into and out of it, and its pretty hard to get it accidentally unless you're really mashing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's weird how much worse they seem than UNI's Smart Steer

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I thought Uniel (and DBFZ uses the same system I think?) autocombos were fine. Mash jab when you don't know what to do. Don't mash jab when you know what to do.
Even though I'm not new to fighting games it let's me dick around with different characters without having to do labwork beforehand.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Since it seems that everyone universally dislikes the auto combo as is I'm certain French Bread will patch in an option at some point to disable it, so you just need to be patient.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

They will never patch out autocombo because it DOES have unique functionality, the second auto combo hit is a unique move that you can't get otherwise and is integral to some combo routes on some characters. I hate it too but the only option is to clean up your inputs and live with it, or quit because it's not leaving.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Glagha posted:

They will never patch out autocombo because it DOES have unique functionality, the second auto combo hit is a unique move that you can't get otherwise and is integral to some combo routes on some characters. I hate it too but the only option is to clean up your inputs and live with it, or quit because it's not leaving.
i choose quit then tbh. sucks because the game is really good otherwise and sticks to melty blood's formula and 'feel' really well the controls are just completely hosed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cool.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah the auto combos are if anything at their worst for the players theyre ostensibly there to cater to. you have to actually know the game to understand how to negate them and work around them and how to do the inputs precisely enough not to trigger them, and their existence discourages new players from engaging with melty's fun combo system at all.

literally all they need to do is patch in an option to turn them off. there no unique functions or moves tied to autocombos so surely thatd be an easy thing to do. its a shame cause i really enjoy the game otherwise. i dont think autocombos kill the game or anything and i dont mind them existing as an option, but them being mandatory at all times is kind of ridiculous.

i dont even mind the autocombo in fighterz because its more freeflowing, you can move into and out of it, and its pretty hard to get it accidentally unless you're really mashing.

The autocombo gets you a confirm even when you've used most of your normals and the unique autocombo normal itself is also very good (at least for warc), turning it off would be just kneecapping yourself for no reason.

The autocombo doesn't flow into the melty chain system very well but it functions on it's own since you can special both hits and is still useful once you can drum three buttons in a row.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

They could just map the autocombo specific move to 5AA

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's a shame they thought they needed to add this autocombo system and shield RPS to a game that would be fine without them.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I don't see them removing autocombo in a patch or anything because that would be a pretty major change in gameplay

I could see them redesigning it/removing it in a new version, though, given how unpopular it seems to be. Are JP players complaining about it too?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean they don't have to remove them, just toss in a manual/auto switch on the character select screen or something. They might have to disable chaining A together infinitely for parity but otherwise it wouldn't be too disruptive.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the autocombo since it lets me reliably mess around with the entire cast more and there's still lots of "real" combos to learn as you start specializing

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like the autocombo precisely because it isn't a tacked on optional noob trap that everyone ignores

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

TGLT posted:

I mean they don't have to remove them, just toss in a manual/auto switch on the character select screen or something. They might have to disable chaining A together infinitely for parity but otherwise it wouldn't be too disruptive.

You're missing that your rapid beat attack is literally an attack you can't do in any way except by triggering the auto combo and they have properties that are only on that move. Some characters use them as part of important combos. Even if they allowed you to turn them off people are going to be forced to keep them on because sometimes that move is key to your gameplay. It's woven in too deep to remove even if it's optional. It's extremely disruptive because taking it out means basically offering up an option to players that's like "here's the manual mode option that is actively shooting yourself in the foot but you might not know that because it's not something we can easily surface to you, the player, who might not even understand the combos system yet".

Edit: You can't put an option in the game that straight up takes a normal away from the player for convenience, that's just a super bad look, even if the alternative is a pain.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

In Training posted:

I like the autocombo since it lets me reliably mess around with the entire cast more and there's still lots of "real" combos to learn as you start specializing

:same:

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I'd be fine with the autocombo system in Melty if you weren't so committed after the second hit. Like, after doing 5BB, hitting C shouldn't do the third part of the autocombo. You should only get that if you hit B again. For me, changing that would largely fix my problems, because you wouldn't be so screwed when you accidentally get the second attack.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

Speaking of the melty autos, they are inspiring me as someone new to fgs to at least think about working on my inputs but I’m finding that process kinda baffling so a question:

Basically the reason I double tap (or worse) inputs is that seems to be the only way to get the expected poo poo to come out (picked up this habit in strive first but I bet it’s pretty common across games). I just cannot figure out the timing on tons of poo poo and can try endlessly being like, “ok maybe a little earlier, maybe a little later,” and whether the next command comes out seems totally arbitrary, and even if I got it closer I’d never be able to keep it together outside training mode. Thus the habit of hitting something a few times til you see it startup, but in melty that puts you in rapid beat.

Am I missing something generally about how to buffer stuff, or like, how do you know what can be buffered and when? I do feel like if I figure this out a ton of stuff, like confirms etc, would be way more feasible.

Also any good discords around for finding beginner-lvl matches?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

AshtonDragon posted:

I'd be fine with the autocombo system in Melty if you weren't so committed after the second hit. Like, after doing 5BB, hitting C shouldn't do the third part of the autocombo. You should only get that if you hit B again. For me, changing that would largely fix my problems, because you wouldn't be so screwed when you accidentally get the second attack.

Shoot, even smart steer in UNI avoided this, right? So weird that TL decided to go that route

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Glagha posted:

You're missing that your rapid beat attack is literally an attack you can't do in any way except by triggering the auto combo and they have properties that are only on that move. Some characters use them as part of important combos. Even if they allowed you to turn them off people are going to be forced to keep them on because sometimes that move is key to your gameplay. It's woven in too deep to remove even if it's optional. It's extremely disruptive because taking it out means basically offering up an option to players that's like "here's the manual mode option that is actively shooting yourself in the foot but you might not know that because it's not something we can easily surface to you, the player, who might not even understand the combos system yet".

Edit: You can't put an option in the game that straight up takes a normal away from the player for convenience, that's just a super bad look, even if the alternative is a pain.

As ConfusedPig said, you can tie that extra move to 5AA. Or more likely 4AA since you wouldn't need that input to mash A without triggering the autocombo in a manual mode.

Lore Crimes posted:

Am I missing something generally about how to buffer stuff, or like, how do you know what can be buffered and when? I do feel like if I figure this out a ton of stuff, like confirms etc, would be way more feasible.

I think the only way you can get a feel for it is to just hop into practice mode and focus on it. Force yourself to not double tap and experiment with how early you can tap a button to get your next hit. I think the launcher isn't a bad place to start with that? Nice long animation to screw with, You can hit a button something like halfway through the leap and have it come out, but too early and it'll get dropped.

You can also practice with motion inputs while falling then hitting the button for a special when you land.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 7, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Glagha posted:

who is it integral for

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
worst case scenario you could just make the autocombo button like everyone's 3B or something.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lore Crimes posted:

It varies between games but afaik most modern games will have a smaller general input buffer for pretty much everything and then a larger input buffer for cancels. The buffer in Lumina is fairly generous so just doing ABC doesn't require much timing and you can chain the A normals a couple times to make it even more reliable.

MechaX posted:

Shoot, even smart steer in UNI avoided this, right? So weird that TL decided to go that route

Smart steer was also useless for actually helping new players.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

AshtonDragon posted:

I like this suggestion a lot, I feel that's something they could easily implement without messing up the current design too badly and it'd go a long way towards addressing my issues.

Lore Crimes posted:

Basically the reason I double tap (or worse) inputs is that seems to be the only way to get the expected poo poo to come out (picked up this habit in strive first but I bet it’s pretty common across games). I just cannot figure out the timing on tons of poo poo and can try endlessly being like, “ok maybe a little earlier, maybe a little later,” and whether the next command comes out seems totally arbitrary, and even if I got it closer I’d never be able to keep it together outside training mode. Thus the habit of hitting something a few times til you see it startup, but in melty that puts you in rapid beat.

Also any good discords around for finding beginner-lvl matches?
I'm struggling with this myself so idk if this is great advice, but what I do right now is only tap the 2nd input once and see what happens - if the character does nothing, I'm too early, if the attack happens but the enemy recovers out of it I'm too late. So I'll look at the input display to see how many frames passed between input 1 and 2 and try to get more/less next time, and once I get it right I just keep trying to hit that til I get a feel for the right rhythm.

Something like Saber j236B 2C is weird for this 'cause you need to wait almost exactly 100 frames to get the link, no easy buffers for that...

Also, what region & platform are you on? I'm looking for fellow beginners to play with too, so maybe we could try a match.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hace posted:

who is it integral for

What, do you want me to go look up everyone's combo routes and look for every instance of rapid beat? I dunno, Kouma does like 5CC command grab as an ender or something in some of them. The point is it's a move people use how is that worth getting weirdly snarky about it? I already said I don't like autocombo either but it's pretty baked in and it's a bigger ask to take it out than people are making it out to be. Even if you put it on another button you've now opened up a DIFFERENT can of worms where now everyone can do that move off of any normal and not just off of rapid beat which changes up a bunch of poo poo. Probably not a huge deal but still impactful.

Even bigger question, does anyone really think they're gonna put time in for this? Like, autocombos are there for new players right? We're talking about stripping out a baked in part of the mechanics of the game even as an optional mode which actually makes this harder, not easier to implement, for the use case of like specifically players who are experienced enough and serious enough to want to do non-rapid beat combos but not quite experienced enough to have clean enough inputs to work with the autocombo system for optimal combos and/or are willing to sacrifice combo damage for convenience which is just... such a weird subset of players I really don't think it's worth development time. Maybe removed in Type Lumina Ultra or something, probably not patched in this version.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

TGLT posted:

As ConfusedPig said, you can tie that extra move to 5AA. Or more likely 4AA since you wouldn't need that input to mash A without triggering the autocombo in a manual mode.

This is no good either because some characters want to do the unique normal off of B or C. Noel's unique rapid beat normal for instance is a two hit move that vacuums the opponent out of the air so it makes certain things much more stable. Locking that into having to do 5A first ruins certain routes.

There were legit bugs in UNIST that didn't get fixed until CLR so I don't think French Bread is going to make a huge system change in a patch.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
I like melty autocombos because my inputs are rear end and in scramble situations where we're both just mashing I can get a baby combo and oki instead of just a stray hit or whatever. this game rules

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dave Matthews Big Fan! posted:

I like melty autocombos because my inputs are rear end and in scramble situations where we're both just mashing I can get a baby combo and oki instead of just a stray hit or whatever. this game rules

:same: i mean i haven't played it yet but i agree that being able to flail and still do something is nice

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kitfox88 posted:

:same: i mean i haven't played it yet but i agree that being able to flail and still do something is nice

But old melty didn’t have autocombos and flailing still did cool poo poo

The one thing I want luminas autos to do is just not trigger if you hit a different button. AAA should be auto, but AAB shouldn’t.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
they should put moons back in, and you can have leave autocombos on the dark side of the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Auto combo is good because Saber’s second hit is incredible and super useful in a ton of combos to vacuum people in from way further distances then she could confirm otherwise