Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If there's a boy who gets to kiss or date or marry a girl in a comic, and it's written by a boy, the character is a self-insert.

Sometimes they're self-inserts even if not all of these qualifiers are true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Wonder Girl, Donna Troy, was married to a much older professor named Terry Long. Some think Marv Wolfman based the character on himself. Whether that's true or not I leave to the reader to decide but at one point in time Donna was drawn wearing a t-shirt saying 'Terry Long Fan Club' which was at the least kind of weird.

Has this been retconned like so many things with Donna Troy?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Has this been retconned like so many things with Donna Troy?

I think so. The last time I looked her origin was essentially Diana's one of being sculpted of clay and created by magic.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

If there's a boy who gets to kiss or date or marry a girl in a comic, and it's written by a boy, the character is a self-insert.

Sometimes they're self-inserts even if not all of these qualifiers are true!

I'm a Kong = Bendis truther.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If Claremont is horny for someone, I feel like there’s usually a bdsm component. Kitty Pryde is in her underwear a lot in Excalibur, and the New Mutants are in their underwear a lot, but they’re not in their underwear in giant electrified birdcages while the White Queen breaks their wills.

When Kitty was held captive by the White Queen in New Mutants, I think she was just tied to a chair or something else low-effort while still wearing a winter jacket. Which is definitely for the best.

How old is she supposed to be, anyway? In the 90s when I was reading Ellis’ Excalibur, I got the sense that she was around 30, but now I’m reading the Dark Phoenix era of Claremont’s X-Men, and she’s 14-15.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How old is she supposed to be, anyway? In the 90s when I was reading Ellis’ Excalibur, I got the sense that she was around 30, but now I’m reading the Dark Phoenix era of Claremont’s X-Men, and she’s 14-15.

Comic time means it's weird. You could make the case for mid-to late teens until Ellis' Excalibur where for Reasons she suddenly started acting more like in her twenties.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

IIRC Kitty is explicitly either 12 or 13 and a half when she's first introduced (I remember the "and a half!" being said a lot). She celebrates her 15th birthday in an early issue of Excalibur, then she gets rapidly aged up to 18 near the end of the run because Warren Ellis thought she was much older than she was and put her in a relationship with Pete Wisdom. I have no idea how old she's supposed to be now, 25ish maybe? She's definitely not 30 though, because none of the X-Men are allowed to be 30.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rochallor posted:

IIRC Kitty is explicitly either 12 or 13 and a half when she's first introduced (I remember the "and a half!" being said a lot). She celebrates her 15th birthday in an early issue of Excalibur, then she gets rapidly aged up to 18 near the end of the run because Warren Ellis thought she was much older than she was and put her in a relationship with Pete Wisdom. I have no idea how old she's supposed to be now, 25ish maybe? She's definitely not 30 though, because none of the X-Men are allowed to be 30.
Beast turned 30 in like 1992!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Beast turned 30 in like 1992!

That’s how many crimes against humanity he committed this year!!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
TIL that a bunch of the Guthrie family debuted in ROM. Man I wish I could read that book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

TIL that a bunch of the Guthrie family debuted in ROM. Man I wish I could read that book.

The entire series was scanned ages ago and seeing as there's no way to legally purchase it you shouldn't feel too bad for just pirating it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Yup, it's been widely available in :filez: form for a minute now.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Beerdeer posted:

If you want to read it for the Guthries, they're only in it for a few pages.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is ROM worth reading anyway?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bessantj posted:

It's not like Watchmen or anything like that but it does have some interesting ideas. Like how Rom doesn't have any proof to show that he isn't just rolling up and murdering random people because his detector only shows him who the Dire Wraiths are and when he zaps them to Limbo it looks like he's disintegrating them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

I thought it was fun. Of course, I was ten when I read it. 

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It depends on how much you like Bill Mantlo's tics because it's very Bill Mantlo. Which means you take the good with the bad-- Hybrid is a fun and legitimately spooky villain concept with a great visual, but he spends most of his appearances ranting about raping humans. I don't regret reading it but I'll probably never reread the whole thing-- to me it's definitely Mantlo at his most invested and coherent overall though; perhaps a bit less polished than his Hulk and less gleefully deranged than his Alpha Flight but when it's good it's really quite good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

It happens in Excalibur a bunch, not so much X-Men or New Mutants

I was actually listening to Jay and Miles X-plain the X-Men covering Crosstime Caper and while from their descriptions it happens a lot to Kitty, it also happens to literally every member an almost equal amount. As they say say, the book is basically what's left of the comics code away from a sex farce.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Was it always the plan to reveal that Peter’s parents coming back was Harry’s posthumous scheme? Or was that a quick retcon to get rid of them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

Was it always the plan to reveal that Peter’s parents coming back was Harry’s posthumous scheme? Or was that a quick retcon to get rid of them?

I thought it was Chameleon's scheme? or did they do it twice? I'm talking about the 90s time they did it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I thought it was Chameleon's scheme? or did they do it twice? I'm talking about the 90s time they did it.

Chameleon was just a henchman. It was all Harry beyond the grave. Who knows what the original plan was as the clone saga was about to begin. It’s very possible the original plan was for them to be the actual parents but then they decided clone time so had to get rid of them

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was both, I think. Harry had the Chameleon do it, maybe?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It just didn't sit right emotionally. He had a cool death but then finding out it was his plan all along it felt like we were supposed to go "oh right, gently caress that guy I guess?"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lobok posted:

It just didn't sit right emotionally. He had a cool death but then finding out it was his plan all along it felt like we were supposed to go "oh right, gently caress that guy I guess?"

I always felt more pity. It’s a reminder how hosed in the head he was when he was in goblin mode and the damage his father did. He did a good man, but he still did a bunch of crazy poo poo in his last days

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

I always felt more pity. It’s a reminder how hosed in the head he was when he was in goblin mode and the damage his father did. He did a good man, but he still did a bunch of crazy poo poo in his last days

But he was doing crazy poo poo right up until the last thirty or so seconds of his life, though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

He was hounding Spider-Man for months and arranged a fake charity ball he was going to blow up as a mass- murder suicide to kill Spider-Man and everyone his dad was friends with and probably a few hundred other random people, but then when he realized those other few hundred people included his son and Mary Jane he decided not to kill everyone and died, so technically he was a good man for the last few minutes of his life, even if that 'good man' clause involved Harry Osborn sacrificing himself to thwart a mass murder that Harry Osborn had planned earlier that day.

And then yeah he also left a digital copy of his evil brain behind as a Dead Man's Switch to continue to plan diabolical acts from beyond the grave, so he lived a bad man, died a good man, and then immediately restarted being a bad man from beyond the grave.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

And then yeah he also left a digital copy of his evil brain behind as a Dead Man's Switch to continue to plan diabolical acts from beyond the grave, so he lived a bad man, died a good man, and then immediately restarted being a bad man from beyond the grave.

Ah, yes, one of the seven basic plots.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

radlum posted:

I don't think they had a plan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vincent posted:

I'm a Kong = Bendis truther.

The fact that Bendis contrived ways to have Kitty switch from the X-Men to a title she typically had no affiliation with to date the lead character on two seperate occasions, plus I believe his own admission in the letters columns does suggest he at least has a lot of affection for the character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

The fact that Bendis contrived ways to have Kitty switch from the X-Men to a title she typically had no affiliation with to date the lead character on two seperate occasions, plus I believe his own admission in the letters columns does suggest he at least has a lot of affection for the character.

For a long time I thought it was Kitty that Bendis did that... at best extremely questionable joke when Peter and Wolverine switched bodies but it was MJ.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Look she just really has a thing for guys named Peter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kitty and Peter are two euphemisms that belong together.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m now surprised that I can’t think of a Marvel character named Richard who goes by “Dick.”

Maybe Clint Barton would fit on that list, depending on who’s lettering the issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I’m now surprised that I can’t think of a Marvel character named Richard who goes by “Dick.”

Maybe Clint Barton would fit on that list, depending on who’s lettering the issue.

Nova is too close to just outright smut if he used that diminutive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

:doom: DIIIIIICKS

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lobok posted:

:doom: DIIIIIICKS

DICKARD!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Kitty and Peter are two euphemisms that belong together.

But Kate belongs with either Ilyan or Rachel.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Edge & Christian posted:

He was hounding Spider-Man for months and arranged a fake charity ball he was going to blow up as a mass- murder suicide to kill Spider-Man and everyone his dad was friends with and probably a few hundred other random people, but then when he realized those other few hundred people included his son and Mary Jane he decided not to kill everyone and died, so technically he was a good man for the last few minutes of his life, even if that 'good man' clause involved Harry Osborn sacrificing himself to thwart a mass murder that Harry Osborn had planned earlier that day.

Peter,

I, Harry Osborn, have uncovered a dastardly plot by Harry Osborn to murder Harry Osborn. I have thwarted this plot by murdering Harry Osborn.

Your loyal friend, Harry Osborn

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

But Kate belongs with either Ilyan or Rachel.

I always read it as Ilyana being the best friend and Rachel being the girlfriend (and Storm being the first crush).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Peter,

I, Harry Osborn, have uncovered a dastardly plot by Harry Osborn to murder Harry Osborn. I have thwarted this plot by murdering Harry Osborn.

Your loyal friend, Harry Osborn

This reminds me of a question that's been lurking at the back of my mind for many years now: who was The Hobgoblin?

As a kid I had access to most of ASM #200-#300, but not all of it, and very few issues preceding or following that, and, and at least in the issues I had, the Hobgoblin's identity was A Big Deal that was never actually resolved. At one point Flash Thompson is "revealed" to be the Hobgoblin but it quickly becomes clear that Flash was just a dupe who was brainwashed and dressed up in a Hobgoblin outfit as a distraction. At another point the Hobgoblin is unmasked but proves to be a hireling with the real Hobgoblin monitoring him remotely (who then remotely kills the hireling before he can be questioned). I don't think his identity was ever revealed in the issues I had; IIRC the last we see of him he's working with the Rose and while Spidey kicks the poo poo out of him a few more times he always escapes.

I know that #300 kicks off Venom as a new major antagonist, but I don't have many issues after that, so did they ever revisit the Hobgoblin and actually reveal his identity? Did they keep doing "the Hobgoblin UNMASKED lol jk it's just another brainwashed sap" storylines until the end of time? Or did the whole character just get quietly dropped?

As I type that out I realize that the idea that there is no "real" hobgoblin and it's just an endless succession of people acting as brainwashed decoys for each other, propagating some sort of infectious, self-replicating hypnotic brainwashing effect, could actually be kind of interesting, but I don't get the feeling that's what they were going for.

Vincent posted:

I always read it as Ilyana being the best friend and Rachel being the girlfriend (and Storm being the first crush).

There are a lot of valid reads on the Kate-Ilyana-Rachel-Ororo dynamic, the important thing is that none of them are at all straight