Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've definitely had a few instances where I've been traversing a zone from one end to another where getting caught would loving suck but yeah getting caught in the first room is like lol

I do like the vague puzzle element of killing them where you have to find a big rear end open plane, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah taking down EMMI 3 was fun because of having to run around to manipulate it into where you want it to go so you can destroy it. I'm looking forward to future fights and hope they're even more involved.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I get caught the first few times, of course, because i'm not actually a god at video games, but then once you figure out their zone, you realize there is a samus only accessible path that forces the EMMI to take the long way around. So you can literally just wait until it almost get's you, slide through the samus only path, and then they will turn around and take the long way to get to you again. You can do this is as many times as you want until you figure out what button you are supposed to push to proceed.
i see you have only played up through the second one

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seriously play more of the game before making GBS threads on the EMMI folks they get way more difficult.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm getting mixed signals on the game's writing. Is it like fine but a bit dumb or is actually a problem again?

so far it seems fine, but a bit dumb. it's kinda like fusion.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Can't believe Walmart didn't have it. At least Best Buy was around the corner, but I almost walked out of there without a copy as well. None in the Switch section, not even a display for it that was empty, and I just happened to notice a shin high display by the checkout on my way out. Retail stores are somehow more terrible than they used to be.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Some dude said the music was amazing but it's just real loving monotonous so far

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

the only thing i wish i could do is map aim to ZL, much as it is in like every other console game with shooty things

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Kirios posted:

Seriously play more of the game before making GBS threads on the EMMI folks they get way more difficult.

Im on the 4th actual one and no, they are still basically the same.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

the only thing i wish i could do is map aim to ZL, much as it is in like every other console game with shooty things

I feel like every Switch (and WiiU) game does this and acts like the upper shoulder button is the main one when the reverse should be true. Games say press ZL and I have to think to myself every time 'which one is that again?'

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shyfted One posted:

Can't believe Walmart didn't have it. At least Best Buy was around the corner, but I almost walked out of there without a copy as well. None in the Switch section, not even a display for it that was empty, and I just happened to notice a shin high display by the checkout on my way out. Retail stores are somehow more terrible than they used to be.

I haven't been able to find it, have to hope it's more like Skyward Sword Zelda and less like the original 2 pack.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Alright I need a cute lil hint. I've got the wide beam, and looked everywhere for the next thing to do. even backtracked to the second area. just need a cute lil tip pals

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Interesting that the Varia suit doesn't protect against cold when it did in Fusion. I know it's because they wanted to open access to the hot rooms earlier than the cold ones but it still stands out as odd. I assume the Gravity suit is going to be the cold protecting one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A Big... Dog posted:

Alright I need a cute lil hint. I've got the wide beam, and looked everywhere for the next thing to do. even backtracked to the second area. just need a cute lil tip pals

You're on the right track if you've returned to the second area. Make sure to carefully examine the E.M.M.I. zone there.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 8, 2021

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Frankston posted:

Some dude said the music was amazing but it's just real loving monotonous so far

That was me- i appreciated the mood of it but was basing that on a stream of the opening area. My copy still hasnt turned up :bang:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

dropping in to say: game good, i'm getting a little frustrated that my way back keeps getting cut off arbitrarily, but i'm enjoying the combat more than any other metroid i've played. looks good, sounds good, feels good.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Muscle Tracer posted:

dropping in to say: game good, i'm getting a little frustrated that my way back keeps getting cut off arbitrarily, but i'm enjoying the combat more than any other metroid i've played. looks good, sounds good, feels good.

I was frustrated by this as well, but once I got the speed booster it felt like it opened up pretty decently to backtracking, and stuff wasn't being arbitrarily changed to prevent you from going backwards.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Enjoying it so far, but I feel like I'm running in circles at this point. I just got the Spider Magnet but one of the normal doors has just sealed up for no reason and I can't seem to get back to the higher areas of the map now.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
So I made it all the way through the second section without fighting a boss or picking up a new ability, did I miss something or am I supposed to move onto the 3rd section now and come back with the heat suit?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Senator Drinksalot posted:

So I made it all the way through the second section without fighting a boss or picking up a new ability, did I miss something or am I supposed to move onto the 3rd section now and come back with the heat suit?

Move on to the third section. You'll have more stuff to do in the second section when you get the item from there.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

JordanKai posted:

You're on the right track if you've returned to the second area. Make sure to carefully examine the E.M.M.I. zone there.

This helped - I found it totally by accident in a panic after reading that. Thanks!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
i really hope the game comes up with better gameplay then different colored doors to open that all require a corresponding button to press when encountering them. i feel like im at doom level design, but fewer weapons and enemies and the bfg is only used for one enemy exclusively.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

have you ever played a metroid game before

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Protip: if you discover a new type of door, go to the map, hover over it and use "highlight icon", it'll show other instances of that kind of door. Might help you navigate or find your path.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

just got morph ball, love this game

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Heads up to anyone looking for the special edition that if you're in Maine or New Hampshire, Bullmoose has copies in almost every store. I walked in intending to buy a standard edition but once I saw the special edition box I ended up buying it. It's huge, much bigger then I was expecting. About the size of a large coffee table book. Going to crack it open and dive into this game tomorrow

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ZeeBoi posted:

Protip: if you discover a new type of door, go to the map, hover over it and use "highlight icon", it'll show other instances of that kind of door. Might help you navigate or find your path.

thanks that is pretty helpful, never noticed that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm having a lot of trouble with the Corpious boss fight :negative: I keep taking a lot of damage despite attempting to counter attacks. Sometimes I'll make it to the second stage, but I keep loving up and dying.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
has anyone figured out the timing for the EMMI counters? like, is there a specific tell I'm not seeing?

I've done it once, on accident.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
also wtf is with adam? its like the creepy creator of samus' self-insert who really cant stand that fans thought of samus as a lone strong female protagonist who could deal with anything on her own, and just has to create weird Kinbaku-bi and restriction scenarios. He even looks directly into the camera and says even at full power [Samus] cannot withstand the EMMIs.

i got weird vibes about that in Fusion and with Other-M and this i see my instincts were correct.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

has anyone figured out the timing for the EMMI counters? like, is there a specific tell I'm not seeing?

It's the yellow flash during the cutscene when they grab you, you have two opportunities, just before they grab you and just before they spike you. I think every counterable enemy has that yellow flash, the EMMI just have incredibly tight though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

One chance on the arm flash when they grab you, one chance on the eye flash before it stabs you. I think it's probably too fast to truly react to, so you just have to get a feel for it. That said, I've only gotten it a couple times.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Those of you wishing you could change the controls, you can. You have to do it in the Switch console options, and it affects all games, you choose which buttons become which other buttons. It's a Nintendo system, things aren't allowed to be intuitive or 100% useful.

I tried playing with my 8bitdo SN2+ or whatever the latest version is. The control stick is way too sensitive and makes free aim completely useless, so I had to go back to the regular Switch controller that I hate. At least I can aim now.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
They flash and make a robot noise, but the timing is really tight on it and you almost have to predict it rather then react to it.

EFB

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ZeeBoi posted:

:eyepop:

That is super helpful. Thank you.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Right after you get the speed booster, there's two rooms with a small tube between them that has speed boost blocks on either side of it. For the life of me I can't figure out how I'm supposed to break them, there's not enough room to build up a charge. I know it isn't necessary for progress but it's irritating the hell out of me, also there's a Missile+ tank in the second room that also has speed booster blocks and it'd be nice to get that.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

also wtf is with adam? its like the creepy creator of samus' self-insert who really cant stand that fans thought of samus as a lone strong female protagonist who could deal with anything on her own, and just has to create weird Kinbaku-bi and restriction scenarios. He even looks directly into the camera and says even at full power [Samus] cannot withstand the EMMIs.

i got weird vibes about that in Fusion and with Other-M and this i see my instincts were correct.

There's an in-universe reason for it this time

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barreft posted:

just got morph ball, love this game

I love that the game still hasn't given me the morph ball but has shown me hundreds of passages that need the ball to get through. I feel like I'm going to have a field day when I finally unlock it.

Is this the longest you go without the ball in the series?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaziken386 posted:

The timing depends on the animation used when it catches you, you pretty much have to memorize the timing of the two counter openings and hope you pressed the button right as it was going to flash. If your in water it’s a bit easier as it’s slowed. But more or less don’t rely on it, don’t get caught if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm getting stuck on a boss (mini-boss? There's a fuzzy line between the two but this was behind an eye door) well into the game, 6th EMMIs area.

For the lightning beetle, how do I dodge the seeker shots? Haven't found a way to do it reliably and they attrition me down.