Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sonatinas posted:

So west ham going to compete for a champions league spot next year with Richmond lol?

Rupert don’t have those deep of pockets unless both teams pull off a leicester with less money

Maybe they'll compete to avoid relegation instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I still assume it’s Man City they’ll face for the title.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sure, Nate will need his chance to redeem himself by suggesting tactics for Richmond in the climactic match after he’s been humbled

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Season 3: Nate gets relegated

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I still assume it’s Man City they’ll face for the title.

This would be a good one, since I don’t think they’ve beaten them yet.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sonatinas posted:

So west ham going to compete for a champions league spot next year with Richmond lol?

Rupert don’t have those deep of pockets unless both teams pull off a leicester with less money

Couldn't they? I mean, if they go up to a higher league doesn't that open them up to more or better sponsors and a higher income in general? I think they'd probably have a tough few years where they get relegated back out, then promoted again, rinse repeat until they're built up enough but it should be possible right? Otherwise there'd be no point in being the top of their new league or the bottom of the one above that.

Zero One posted:

When talking to Keeley he hid his true feelings about not being included which is something he has been doing all series. Hiding how he really feels. When talking with the coaches he did finally let his emotions out… to people he felt safe with and not who he really needed to talk to about it (Keeley). I felt that what he was saying was that he felt that Keeley didn’t need him. That she was moving beyond him and had abandoned him. Later at the end of the episode their interaction reenforces this… he is clearly upset that she doesn’t want to vacation with him and tells him to go away for 6 weeks and leave her alone (which wasn’t what she intended but what he felt she said).

If he had slightly more emotional maturity he would have been better able to handle both those situations without thinking that Keeley was breaking up with him because she didn’t need him anymore. He still isn’t willing to talk to Keeley and tell her the truth… that she hurt him.

Anyway, I still love Roy and just hope they intended this self improvement journey for him and it isn’t just some cheap relationship stuff for next season.

Nate had a journey this season, I just see Roy and Keeley as one of the things they'll tackle next season. They're in a relationship, it's getting heavy and she's starting up a fairly big business that's going to take a lot of her time. She's following her dreams, Roy is going to have to come to terms with it while he's doing his own thing. They're in a tough spot in a relationship but it's not like its insurmountable.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LionArcher posted:

Calling Roy’s lack of caring about the kiss a micro aggression is dumb.

i would say that nate's low self esteem is the lens through which that action gets interpreted as a micro-aggression. if nate had a more well-balanced state of mind in that moment, he wouldn't see it as a micro aggression because he would be able to realize the difference between "coworker acts out office crush inappropriately one time" versus "former shithead-boyfriend tells old flame he still loves her". but because of nate's inferiority issues, he uses that interaction to reinforce his idea that he's not important enough for to roy to have a strong emotion about

i don't see any big problems in the tweet by nick mohamed, even if some of the items are really subtle things that i would probably never pick up on during a first viewing. looking back on this season, i thought nate's slide into depression and resentment might be one of the more well done character arcs of the season. and that kind of gets at one thing i didn't like about this season, that being that a lot of the character arcs felt kind of meandering or confused. nate's story this season isn't the most epic "sad guy turns into bad guy" of all time, but i thought it was fairly well done as its own little self contained story

one thing i'm curious about in terms of my "meandering" comment above is that i wonder if i'd have the same opinion if i had watched this season's episodes all back-to-back. i sometimes forget little details if i don't keep a story fresh enough in my mind to remember them all

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sonatinas posted:

Maybe the sponsor that Rebecca told to gently caress off this season will back him instead. That would work as a way to actually make that storyline have some kind of repercussion.

Or alternatively maybe Rupert will get some random dating app to fund him also.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
We're talking about the Morning Show here as well, right?

It's really kind of insane to me just how out of touch the characters are with the COVID-19 news. That poo poo had been reported on for months in the US at that point and their own reporter/presenter was stuck in Beijing for two weeks yet no one on the show or even the head of news at the network seems to give a gently caress. Really shows both how stuck in their own bullshit they are and a bias favoring anything east coast/NYC.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

njsykora posted:

I think it just fell through the cracks, it happens to a lot of stuff especially on a relatively small service like TV+. Like I've never seen anyone say anything about most of the TV+ series' outside the really big ones. Acapulco started and I've seen nothing about that, no-one talks about Truth Be Told and Schmigamagoon was basically forgotten after the first episode.

I did enjoy that trailer for The Afterparty that was before Lasso this week though, even though it doesn't seem to be on TV+ and has no release date and jesus christ why is it so hard to just give the app a single library section to show everything.

Agree with all your points. This is the only place online I check for discussion on any Apple shows. If something isn’t mentioned here or is disliked by the few posters here, I’m much less likely to check it out.

I do plan on watching Acapulco but just haven’t had time yet.

Solkanar512 posted:

We're talking about the Morning Show here as well, right?

It's really kind of insane to me just how out of touch the characters are with the COVID-19 news. That poo poo had been reported on for months in the US at that point and their own reporter/presenter was stuck in Beijing for two weeks yet no one on the show or even the head of news at the network seems to give a gently caress. Really shows both how stuck in their own bullshit they are and a bias favoring anything east coast/NYC.

They aren’t at the point where people in America cared much yet, they haven’t even gotten to people singing from balconies in Italy yet. I think the Morning Show is nailing the early pandemic vibe, I’m excited to see the rest of this season. Alex moderating a debate with Trump in it could be interesting.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 10, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bradley is such a dumbass lmao

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
The Morning Show continues to be baffling. I still can't figure out whether the acting is actually really good or really bad. I keep expecting some scenes that show that at least some of these characters are more cynical and self-aware and have some depth to them, but it never happens. The show seems to be 100% serious about these fake pseudo-journalists and their really lovely TV show.

Yet somehow I keep watching. I think it's solely because of Billy Crudup at this point. I have no idea what his character actually wants or what his goals are, but drat is he fascinating to watch.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mc.schroeder posted:

Yet somehow I keep watching. I think it's solely because of Billy Crudup at this point. I have no idea what his character actually wants or what his goals are, but drat is he fascinating to watch.

Oh nice, he was my favourite part of season one so I’m glad he’s back!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mc.schroeder posted:

Literally one hundred percent this hahah

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Spacebump posted:

Agree with all your points. This is the only place online I check for discussion on any Apple shows. If something isn’t mentioned here or is disliked by the few posters here, I’m much less likely to check it out.

I do plan on watching Acapulco but just haven’t had time yet.

They aren’t at the point where people in America cared much yet, they haven’t even gotten to people singing from balconies in Italy yet. I think the Morning Show is nailing the early pandemic vibe, I’m excited to see the rest of this season. Alex moderating a debate with Trump in it could be interesting.

America as a whole might not care, but they’re a news/entertainment organization who sent one of their own top hosts to China and he barely got out before a lockdown, and it’s like nothing happened! Maybe that’s supposed to be a heavy handed example of how they still don’t care about minorities and differing views, I don’t know.

Plenty of news organizations were covering this story almost daily to daily in January (NPR/PBS/etc) and their own president of the news is all “I heard it was like the flu!!1!” I get it if not everyone was taking this seriously or even talking about it, but plenty of folks were. I would just expect people working inside of a multi-billion dollar news and entertainment company would be a bit ahead of the curve.

And holy poo poo, Yanko is a loving dumbass for not understanding what appropriation is and his bosses are even bigger dumbasses for not taking the time to explain it to him. “Spirit animal” isn’t the worst thing in the world, but stop being so loving mad that you have to say you’re sorry. Grow up dude.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 10, 2021

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One thing I thought about is that after Nate complains that Ted would throw him under the bus if their strategy didn't work (which isn't true), I was imagining that during the press conference that Ted would have given him the credit for it. I'm surprised they didn't do that, because it also would have been a natural way to tie into Nate getting the coaching position at West Ham

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Glass of Milk posted:

One thing I thought about is that after Nate complains that Ted would throw him under the bus if their strategy didn't work (which isn't true), I was imagining that during the press conference that Ted would have given him the credit for it. I'm surprised they didn't do that, because it also would have been a natural way to tie into Nate getting the coaching position at West Ham

That really annoyed me about nate because in the last episode he was complaining about not getting credit for his false 9 play.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Ted already gave him credit for his strategies before, and there is no way he wouldnt have a second time. Heck I expected the strat to fail and Ted would accept the blame and not even mention Ned in the post game scrum

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching Foundation, and ugh, I really want to like this show but this storyline just loving sucks. It has such a beautiful looking world too, even if its ideas are not inspired so much as just outright ripping off other better sci-fi.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
yeah, I'm getting bored with it. It looks great and Lee Pace is good, but there is not enough Jared Harris and overall it is just kinda dull

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's more charisma in Lee Pace's arm than there is in the entire Terminus crew.

Also reminder that Foundation has a thread of its own if you want to chat in more detail.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 11, 2021

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
oh also noticed Ted Lasso's little trend they're doing for final games of the season

season 1: last second loss
season 2: last second tie
season 3: assuming last second win for the title, just realized this might be a penalty kick situation since that'd make for good tv

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's funny, when I saw that last shot of Nate my immediate reaction was "they turned him into Mourinho!" So I appreciated seeing Nick Mohammed making that exact comparison.

Strong finale, my big prediction for next year is that Nate's going to get fired from West Ham halfway through the season.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I also like the long term stuff they did. First shot of season 2 starts zoomed in on Nate's eyes, last shot is the same thing

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

mc.schroeder posted:

The Morning Show continues to be baffling. I still can't figure out whether the acting is actually really good or really bad. I keep expecting some scenes that show that at least some of these characters are more cynical and self-aware and have some depth to them, but it never happens. The show seems to be 100% serious about these fake pseudo-journalists and their really lovely TV show.

Yeah this is all on point. Ultimately it's trashy TV (that I'm still watching ugh) carried by a couple really good performances. I did start to see some potential in last week's episode with everybody slowly starting to become unhinged. This is something that Jennifer Aniston handles relatively well as Alex - that mix of always seeming to be on the brink of losing her poo poo, but with enough narcissism to keep going. Crudup is obviously charismatic as hell, and the Greta Lee character is a nice add. Her scene with Alex was a good one.

But the other characters are largely terrible. I have 0 interest in/sympathy for Bradley, and her rapport with Alex is nonexistent (maybe that's the point, idk). I can only guess Mitch is still on the show to keep Steve Carell involved and on screen because the character feels completely superfluous this season. There's a lot of dead weight between those two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think he's going to be a view into how Italy handled Covid. Throughout the early part of the pandemic, Italy was a few weeks ahead of the us, and could have easily served as a lesson of what not to do for other countries. Maybe that will be a plot they will use. Someone will be saying that the pandemic is following Italy exactly but on a few week lag and the US needs to do something. Though I don't think anyone really needs a show about Covid when we are still dealing with it now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Though I don't think anyone really needs a show about Covid when we are still dealing with it now.

The first season dealt with hot button issues as well, I think it's just how the show rolls.

Plus, at this point it's just reality. I'd rather fiction hold a mirror to the world as it is, particularly if it wants to say anything about that world. Otherwise I might as well be watching a Marvel film.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Season 3 of Lasso is off to a great start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njuNk_6dQLI&t=30s

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think he's going to be a view into how Italy handled Covid. Throughout the early part of the pandemic, Italy was a few weeks ahead of the us, and could have easily served as a lesson of what not to do for other countries. Maybe that will be a plot they will use. Someone will be saying that the pandemic is following Italy exactly but on a few week lag and the US needs to do something. Though I don't think anyone really needs a show about Covid when we are still dealing with it now.

Well yeah, that's definitely where they're going with that, but imo it's a pretty threadbare character vehicle and transparent excuse to keep trotting out one of their A-list actors, especially if he's only loosely tied to the main action via the lawsuit instead of engaging meaningfully with any of the main characters (save for the odd phone call) on a regular basis

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i would say that nate's low self esteem is the lens through which that action gets interpreted as a micro-aggression. if nate had a more well-balanced state of mind in that moment, he wouldn't see it as a micro aggression because he would be able to realize the difference between "coworker acts out office crush inappropriately one time" versus "former shithead-boyfriend tells old flame he still loves her". but because of nate's inferiority issues, he uses that interaction to reinforce his idea that he's not important enough for to roy to have a strong emotion about

i don't see any big problems in the tweet by nick mohamed, even if some of the items are really subtle things that i would probably never pick up on during a first viewing. looking back on this season, i thought nate's slide into depression and resentment might be one of the more well done character arcs of the season. and that kind of gets at one thing i didn't like about this season, that being that a lot of the character arcs felt kind of meandering or confused. nate's story this season isn't the most epic "sad guy turns into bad guy" of all time, but i thought it was fairly well done as its own little self contained story

one thing i'm curious about in terms of my "meandering" comment above is that i wonder if i'd have the same opinion if i had watched this season's episodes all back-to-back. i sometimes forget little details if i don't keep a story fresh enough in my mind to remember them all

This was my read as well. Same with how not getting the Nespresso machine isn't actually a microaggression (none of the coaches got one) but I think what we're meant to take from Nick's tweet is that Nate sees it as one.

I enjoyed Nate's arc this season, in particular how it contextualized his pep-talk/roast last season. Back then it was funny because it came from mild-mannered Nate of all people and his jabs were broadly taken in good fun but in retrospect there really is a genuine mean-spirited streak woven through it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

christmas boots posted:

This was my read as well. Same with how not getting the Nespresso machine isn't actually a microaggression (none of the coaches got one) but I think what we're meant to take from Nick's tweet is that Nate sees it as one.

I liked the Nespresso part because it took me back to my first grad job where the traders and salespeople were always given all of these lavish gifts that they absolutely didn’t need (because they already had them, or could easily buy them) but the support staff didn’t get anything, but would have been the ones to appreciate it.

Like the footballer who is just planning on giving the machine away.

Obviously it’s not a micro aggression, but someone like Nate can see it as “I came up with this tactic, but I don’t get any recognition”.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Watching Foundation, and ugh, I really want to like this show but this storyline just loving sucks. It has such a beautiful looking world too, even if its ideas are not inspired so much as just outright ripping off other better sci-fi.

3 episodes in.

Awesome effects.
Awesome universe they've built, there.
Great novels it is based on.
They'd better get to the loving point, and dump the stupid romance subplots, or they're going to lose me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

christmas boots posted:

I enjoyed Nate's arc this season, in particular how it contextualized his pep-talk/roast last season. Back then it was funny because it came from mild-mannered Nate of all people and his jabs were broadly taken in good fun but in retrospect there really is a genuine mean-spirited streak woven through it.

Yeah Nthing that the term "microagression" isn't really accurate but the idea is more that this is a really insecure guy who held onto all these various minor non-incidents as if they were insults to him as a person. Just like the "Wonder Kid" thing being something everyone else thought was cute and funny and not really a big deal because it was his success, while he laser focused on this one thing he found embarrassing.

I also get thinking the idea that "Ted and Nate don't have an on scene screen together, and that is the characterization" would be overly cute and dumb for the writers to try, but I don't think that was the intended storytelling. I think the overall idea for this arc was that Nate goes on a downward spiral but Ted is too busy with his own therapy/issues to notice, although maybe that wasn't conveyed as well as it could have been.

howe_sam posted:

Strong finale, my big prediction for next year is that Nate's going to get fired from West Ham halfway through the season.

My more specific prediction is that it is going to become obvious at some point that Rupert -- being the petty and vindictive dick he is -- only hired Nate as a way to gently caress with Ted and really doesn't give a poo poo about Nate's specific skills as a coach. Maybe with Rupert even outright stating this, since my other prediction is that Rupert is going to become an even more overt villain since I agree with previous posts to the effect that this season badly needed one now that Rebecca is everyone's best friend boss.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sure there will be some sort of scene where Rupert brags about snatching up Nate and then it hopefully backfires when Nate isn't actually all that great of a coach. I'm guessing Nate starts out ok, then eventually gets in over his head, the team starts sucking, Rupert hires an actual coach who belittles Nate, then Nate realizes what he's lost and attempts to redeem himself by helping out Richmond at the end of the season or something dumb like that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm really not sure how effective Nate is meant to be. You could read him as a blow hard who's high on his own supply, or you could read the show as legitimately arguing he's impressive without having effectively conveyed that.

The goopy logic associated with the club's financial and competitive tribulations, plus some of the exit interviews with Nick Mohammed, leads me to think it's meant to be the latter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Finally got around to watching the finale, Danny looks like he aged about a decade since last season

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If anyone is a college football fan this is a perfect summation. I called who Nate was immediately and the Coach Beard comparison is spot on.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1447996253279825924?t=vV92A1xUibyheJPp0kYlWw&s=19

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Ted Lasso really needs its own thread at this point. I'm not a huge fan of the show, so I probably shouldn't do it, but if someone who is wants to take a stab they should go for it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I got some Luke Skywalker tempted by the dark side vibes from Nate at the end of S2, especially with him dressing in all black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm really not sure how effective Nate is meant to be. You could read him as a blow hard who's high on his own supply, or you could read the show as legitimately arguing he's impressive without having effectively conveyed that.

The goopy logic associated with the club's financial and competitive tribulations, plus some of the exit interviews with Nick Mohammed, leads me to think it's meant to be the latter.

Nate’s thing is obviously meant to be strategy and general knowledge of soccer, while Ted excels more at pep talks/subtle leadership techniques and Roy is the former player who can give practical advice from experience. They’ve basically been hammering Nate’s talent this since the beginning of the series, although to be fair if this is meant to be a head coaching job that’s a pretty abrupt ascendancy and if anything where he will likely fail is his inability to manage players well.