Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah same with music. You were exposed to a lot of older stuff between your parent's choices and whatever was on the radio in the car.

I've definitely run into a few "dear god I feel old" moments with my company's newer hires/interns because of it. Like I get not really listening or watching older stuff but they're just entirely unaware of its existence (or the people who made it) in a way that wasn't the case for those of us 8-10 years older who grew up without on demand streaming.

But college students in the 1970's generally didn't listen to Benny Goodman or Glen Miller. That music was 40 years old or so by then.

But now, college students still listen to Dark Side Of The Moon (1973) and other classic rock albums nearly 50 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Last year I read 'The Dead Hand' and 'Command and Control' and, honestly, I can't believe the human race survived the 20th century. It was not through any lack of trying to do otherwise, I assure you.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Imagined posted:

Last year I read 'The Dead Hand' and 'Command and Control' and, honestly, I can't believe the human race survived the 20th century. It was not through any lack of trying to do otherwise, I assure you.

I did some research (and photo shoots on a Foxtrot Soviet Sub) for what was going to be a VR Game based on this incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_B-59

Soviet submarine B-59 (Russian: Б-59) was a Project 641 or Foxtrot-class diesel-electric submarine of the Soviet Navy. It played a key role near Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis, when senior officers—out of contact with Moscow and the rest of the world, believing they were under attack and possibly at war—considered firing a T-5 nuclear torpedo at US ships.

The title was "The Day The World Didn't End."

I may revisit this as a visual novel/adventure.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

AKA Pseudonym posted:

A lot of people grew up in a time when you couldn't easily access older media. Syndicated reruns weren't really a thing until TV had built up a bit of a back catalogue and your only chance of catching an older movie was if it turned up on TV. It's a reference in modern media lost on older audiences.
You know, I work in silent film distribution, and the under 40 and over 80 are the primary markets. It's the middle-aged that are nearly impossible to reach. They care only for things current when they were young in the '70s and '80s -- nothing older, nothing newer. Asking them to watch a film from the 1910s or '20s is like asking them to cut their heads off. College-age kids are easy -- they're receptive to most anything -- I like them.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

...has anyone noticed that Fat Characters in older films are nowadays seemingly not very fat?
Bertha Cool in the Cool & Lam mysteries is portrayed as a positively enormous landwhale at 165 pounds.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 8, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
When I was a kid, the 80s and early 90s, there were always channels showing Looney Tunes, Three Stooges, Bonanza, Batman, Gilligan's Island and whatnot on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
God I miss that poo poo.

Hey silent film goon, what movie is that from in your av? Its October and time for me to watch Nosferatu again.

I've got a small collection of Silents. Some of them are pretty dope.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

wesleywillis posted:

Hey silent film goon, what movie is that from in your av?
One of the slides commonly shown before the show, asking ladies to remove their hats:

There are a bunch. I like this one too:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

dustin.h posted:

One of the slides commonly shown before the show, asking ladies to remove their hats:

There are a bunch. I like this one too:

Lol, that's interesting and fun, the precursor to "shut your phone off" (or in my day, "no smoking"). You should get someone to animate it so it flits between the man and woman behind her (I'd offer but don't know how to gif).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I went to a museum that had a old timey cinema display and the most interesting thing to me and my companion was the seats. Little wooden fold outs, but they had a little wire rack underneath to hold your hat during the flick.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cracker King posted:

Once your kids interact with other kids and realizes they are ‘missing out’ is what you should be worried about and prepare them for.

Social isolation can be brutally simple that way and should be caught early on if it becomes an issue.

Oh boy, my childhood was pretty much this. My parents didnt have cable because of advertising so I grew up without knowledge of most 90s/2000s kids shows. I still have no nostalgic attachment to stuff like Rugrats. In my parents' defense, they didn't really grow up with TV shows the way most people here did. (Late boomer/Early GenX) Also my mom had a Thing were she only wanted me to listen to classical music. That plan torpedoed when I started school because of course it did.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

One I thought of today: having a "little black book". You'd see a character pull out their LBB and you knew it was a list of people who owed them favors, or they'd slept together, etc. It meant something nefarious or lascivious was about to happen, if the character pulled it out and started flipping through it.

Now you just keep those numbers right next to your boss, your partner, and your friends/family on your phone.

(I have to carry a small black notebook around for my job, which I jokingly call my LBB, which... is kinda lost on the young pups there)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

JacquelineDempsey posted:

One I thought of today: having a "little black book". You'd see a character pull out their LBB and you knew it was a list of people who owed them favors, or they'd slept together, etc. It meant something nefarious or lascivious was about to happen, if the character pulled it out and started flipping through it.

Now you just keep those numbers right next to your boss, your partner, and your friends/family on your phone.

(I have to carry a small black notebook around for my job, which I jokingly call my LBB, which... is kinda lost on the young pups there)

That reminds me of the opening lines of what is still my favorite rap song 30+ years later.

Be honest, don't google it, but guess:

Sittin' at home with my d__k on Hard
So I got my black book for a freak to call
Picked up the telephone and dialed the seven digits <---------------- ONLY SEVEN?
Said "yo this marquis baby, are you down with it"?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Won't your mama be so mad if she knew I got that rear end?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

One I thought of today: having a "little black book". You'd see a character pull out their LBB and you knew it was a list of people who owed them favors, or they'd slept together, etc.

I'd say you're overthinking it. The little black book was where you wrote down the numbers you got from approaching women

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'd say you're overthinking it. The little black book was where you wrote down the numbers you got from approaching women

There have been lots of instances in popular media where the LBB was where someone kept all their criminal/military/spy contacts.

When I turned 18 a friend of my mother gave me a little black book as a birthday gift.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I might be the whipper snapper here, but just knowing a phone number cold off the top of your head.

I know mine, a very small list of people I call enough my hand does it by feel, and then all other numbers are vague ghosts only my phone knows.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The only phone numbers I know are my own, and the Pizza Hut number for San Diego County which was continually broadcast on radio and TV commercials when I was a teenager.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t lie to me.

You know who to call for carpet or if you have a structured settlement and need cash now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I know the numbers of all local taxi companies because I'm a responsible boozer.

And also because they had ads in the 90s were the number was rapped and/or sung so it's been stuck in my head from an early age.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I might be the whipper snapper here, but just knowing a phone number cold off the top of your head.

I know mine, a very small list of people I call enough my hand does it by feel, and then all other numbers are vague ghosts only my phone knows.

The concept of a phone call being either local or long distance. If a person in a movie is making lengthy calls to another state (or especially another country), you know they're spending a good chunk of money on it.

Similarly, the area code of a person's phone number being a reliable guide to where they live. These days, it's a somewhat reliable guide to where you lived in ~2005.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

The concept of a phone call being either local or long distance. If a person in a movie is making lengthy calls to another state (or especially another country), you know they're spending a good chunk of money on it.

Similarly, the area code of a person's phone number being a reliable guide to where they live. These days, it's a somewhat reliable guide to where you lived in ~2005.

Yep my number is 510 (Oakland, at least when I lived there). I have lived in Phoenix and now Denver. When I got my mother in law a line on my plan, in Denver, they told me they could only give me numbers from where I originally started my plan, so she also has a 510 area code despite never living in the 510 area code.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Powered Descent posted:

I just moved to a rural area and kept my 20-year-old cell number. On the one hand, every time I call or text it immediately marks me as a foreigner, on the other hand I don't want to give up the phone number all my 2FA is set up to use, and all my friends have in their contacts.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I saw some YouTube video the other day which showed how a long distance call from Seattle to Washington DC in the 1960s cost the equivalent of $18 a MINUTE in today's money.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Xiahou Dun posted:

This one is very personal to me as its a skill I've completely lost along with mobile phones becoming ubiquitous. As a kid in the 90s I had a great memory for phone numbers, and I still remember a bunch of those even though their now worthless. But since the mid 2000s, if I'm told a phone number it might as well be white noise. I don't even know my own number without looking it up on my phone.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
When I graduated high school in 2003 I recall we were gifted a little black book by the school where we wrote our classmates contact details to keep in touch. I think it was a tradition.

Of course, never had the need for it because generally already had the contact details of people in my phone - and Facebook / MySpace and every other digital service that came big in the coming years made it entirely redundant.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

On the subject of phone stuff: I was thinking about the Simpsons prank-call gags last night, and it made me realize how weird and antiquated the entire concept of calling a bar to ask to talk to a customer is. Was this sort of "bartender takes calls and yells for customers" thing ever common? It makes a certain level of sense, in times when nobody had portable phones and people had predictable drinking hangouts, but was it real?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Isometric Bacon posted:

When I graduated high school in 2003 I recall we were gifted a little black book by the school where we wrote our classmates contact details to keep in touch. I think it was a tradition.

Of course, never had the need for it because generally already had the contact details of people in my phone - and Facebook / MySpace and every other digital service that came big in the coming years made it entirely redundant.

I finished college in 2003 and I don't think facebook existed yet, maybe Myspace, I'm not sure, but I think Live Journal was a thing but I'm not even sure what the hell that was TBH.
Anywho, a guy went around to everyone, or almost everyone, had them write their numbers down on a sheet, and he photo copied it and handed it out to a bunch of us.
Problem was, most of us had jobs and moved away to (somewhere at least a few hours away) and we all got new phone numbers within a month or two. There was no number portability like there is now, and not everyone had an email address that wasn't their college email address. The College emails were good for about a year and a half after we graduated which was helpful, but in my experience, it was that time in between the time when you knew like 3 people who had a cell phone, or email/internet and when EVERYONE was connected 24/7

Antivehicular posted:

On the subject of phone stuff: I was thinking about the Simpsons prank-call gags last night, and it made me realize how weird and antiquated the entire concept of calling a bar to ask to talk to a customer is. Was this sort of "bartender takes calls and yells for customers" thing ever common? It makes a certain level of sense, in times when nobody had portable phones and people had predictable drinking hangouts, but was it real?

Yeah, I've been called at a bar a few times. Well, like 20+ years ago or whatever.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Of course it used to be a thing! Why just ask my friend Hugh Jazz, he’ll tell ya! Or if not him, than my other friend, Amanda Hugnkiss!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't remember Facebook until like 2008.

Before that it was all about MySpace which in hindsight was on every single conceivable level a superior platform.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's not just bars, any kind of detective show from the 1970's had someone getting rung up at a restaurant. The fancy ones had the waiter bring a phone out on a platter with (I'm assuming) a very long RJ45 cable trailing behind them. How else are you going to find out Columbo is snooping around your office?

Kids these days will never know how absolutely essential long telephone cords were. The last time I needed to worry about one was probably 2005 when my TiVo still needed to dial out every two weeks for an updated program guide.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not just bars, any kind of detective show from the 1970's had someone getting rung up at a restaurant. The fancy ones had the waiter bring a phone out on a platter with (I'm assuming) a very long RJ45 cable trailing behind them. How else are you going to find out Columbo is snooping around your office?

You might have to provide a description of the person you're trying to reach, so the maitre d' doesn't have to scream the name across the restaurant like a bartender. How else would he be able to identify, say, Abe Froman, the sausage king of Chicago, from any other patron?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

Fun fact: Moe is based on a real bartender.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_Bar_prank_calls

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Before that it was all about MySpace which in hindsight was on every single conceivable level a superior platform.

I dunno, the fact that people can't edit the style sheets on their Facebook profiles to turn them into Lisa Frank nightmares with autoplaying music embedded kind of puts Facebook ahead in this contest.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Behind, you meant behind

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

Facebook wasn't open to the general public until fall of 2006. I remember not being able to sign up because I'd graduated before it was open to my school, but my girlfriend who was a year younger was able to get an account in 2005.

MySpace was the dominant platform and it took a few years for Facebook to really start to get a foothold outside of college students.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

In my industry that was common as recently as the early nineties.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

dustin.h posted:

Bertha Cool in the Cool & Lam mysteries is portrayed as a positively enormous landwhale at 165 pounds.

Nero Wolfe, so fat he famously never leaves his house, is 272 pounds at 5’ 11”.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Facebook wasn't open to the general public until fall of 2006. I remember not being able to sign up because I'd graduated before it was open to my school, but my girlfriend who was a year younger was able to get an account in 2005.

MySpace was the dominant platform and it took a few years for Facebook to really start to get a foothold outside of college students.

facebook reached high school students in 2007-2008 and the public at large in late 2009, which was the Christmas of the Smart Phone. i vividly remember how weird it was to suddenly see every middle-aged person fiddling with phones, something that's so normal as to be totally unremarkable today.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

I dunno, the fact that people can't edit the style sheets on their Facebook profiles to turn them into Lisa Frank nightmares with autoplaying music embedded kind of puts Facebook ahead in this contest.

Living in the Bay Area, it's an occupational hazard that occasionally the strangers I meet in bars will give me their tech pitch. I remember one guy, serial failed entrepreneur, like 5 failed businesses (which, under silicon valley logic is proof that he is destined for greatness). Anyway, his whole idea was to replace Facebook because Facebook is so standard. You go to someone's Facebook page and they all look the same. But what if people could customize it? Like, if you were a band you could have your music playing when you load your page? Or if you are an artist you can have the background be customized to your art? Etc.

I told him that we've already tried that with MySpace and it ended with sparkle unicorns and bad midis. How was his idea any different from that?

He got really angry. Like "about to punch me in the face" angry and then calmed down and just looked defeated. It was heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Before I moved inland from the Bay Area, some guy in my housing development once decided to interrupt my quiet spa time after a swim in the community pool and pitch me on some sort of crypto for nonprofits.

Never mind that not making a profit and crypto are already synonymous.