Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dolphin posted:

hey cspam do you know how i know ur gay

because i really enjoyed the blowjob you gave me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

zetamind2000 posted:

Normal economy with twenty seven million people not being hired

https://twitter.com/whet/status/1446999503266058241

lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Resumes should be illegal

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
insofar as the alternative to resumes is fawning letters and "knowing someone," I'll stick with resumes tyvm

however thou shalt not make an ATS in the likeness of a human mind

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
my goon, fawning letters and knowing someone is still the most surefire way to get a job. automated resume processing has red lining written all over it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xeom posted:

after 6 months just off yourself really. sorry u did something else but work for 6 months and that shows you might not want to be our wage slave!!!

if you demonstrate that you can survive outside of the wage system they know you could just escape again any time you want. it ruins the leverage

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Harvard: the lack of workers is due to 'filter' not 'poo poo pay for poo poo jobs'

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ammanas posted:

because i really enjoyed the blowjob you gave me
well i guess I'll just start a thread in qcs

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

no, please, you still have so much to live for

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stopped at the grocery on the way home from work. Signs everywhere apologizing about the supply shortage. It's officially here :unsmigghh:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

thousands of jobs go unfilled every year as most companies opt to use a "sonic fan" filter

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Good soup! posted:

thousands of jobs go unfilled every year as most companies opt to use a "sonic fan" filter

it's just good sense

Griz
May 21, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Stopped at the grocery on the way home from work. Signs everywhere apologizing about the supply shortage. It's officially here :unsmigghh:

I haven't seen any product shortages at the crappy local grocery store (can't go to the big supermarket because my car has been broken for 2 weeks) but one of the deli coolers has been broken for over a month, and now the deli closes at 5pm because everyone quit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Nobody wants to work!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
none of the employees want to work, and none of the employers want anyone working for them. a rare moment of unity

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

dont you live in a really out of the way part of wisconsin

im seeing weird random shortages but they're like, very small scale (like the burger thing) but nothing really out of stock when im looking for it in a grocery store yet

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the in-store starbucks at my local grocery store has been closed. there is a sign taped up more or less saying that no one wants to work anymore

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Casey Finnigan posted:

none of the employees want to work, and none of the employers want anyone working for them. a rare moment of unity

The service industry is desperate but they don’t want to pay or implement Covid policies

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anime was right posted:

dont you live in a really out of the way part of wisconsin

im seeing weird random shortages but they're like, very small scale (like the burger thing) but nothing really out of stock when im looking for it in a grocery store yet

Well I suppose Green Bay is "out of the way" for people who live in the puckered rancid butthole of NYC/LA but it's also a major Great Lakes port

Shortages here don't bode well for other places further inland

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Well I suppose Green Bay is "out of the way" for people who live in the puckered rancid butthole of NYC/LA but it's also a major Great Lakes port

yeah weird. maybe higher CoL areas pay higher prices for goods and so they outcompete the lower CoL areas?

this is also mostly anecdotal so mb portland is just like... lucky or something idk

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

zetamind2000 posted:

just say you're contracted.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

were they short of anything you needed?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Radirot posted:

were they short of anything you needed?

No, from my very cursory investigation it looked like the shortages were mostly on random poo poo in the processed foods aisles. I was there for some ground chuck, spices, stuff from the bakery, and caffeine.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SKULL.GIF posted:

but it's also a major Great Lakes port

I’m afraid it’s a relatively minor Great Lakes Port.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

zetamind2000 posted:

quote:

Manna was everywhere, and it was managing about a half of the workers in the United States through headsets, cell phones and email. Manna moved in and took over a big chunk of the government as well. There came a point where tens of millions of humans did nothing at work unless told to do so by a Manna system.

You can imagine what would happen. Manna fires you because you don’t show up for work a couple times. Now you try to go get a job somewhere else. No other Manna system is going to hire you. There had always been an implicit threat in the American economy — “if you do not have a job, you cannot make any money and you will therefore become homeless.” Manna simply took that threat and turned the screws. If you did not do what Manna told you to, it would fire you. Then you would not be able to get a job anywhere else.

quote:

The effect of Manna was to stratify out all the minimum wage workers in America. At the bottom you had the people who were unemployable. They had screwed up and been blacklisted by Manna. They were back living with their parents or sleeping on the sofa with a friend. You could get yourself un-blacklisted, but if you got blacklisted more than a couple times, you were dead.

Then there were all the unemployed people. Between Manna improving efficiency and forcing out the managers, plus overseas outsourcing taking out white collar jobs, plus machines like the automated checkout lines and burger flippers coming on line and so on, there were plenty of people who were unemployed. Unemployed people went around all day applying to jobs. But in a sense, that was pointless. All of the interconnected Manna systems knew every single person in the job pool. Manna also knew the performance of every single person who had ever worked in the system. You were in an incredibly bad spot if you were unemployed.
-Marshall Brain, "Manna"

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

bedpan posted:

the in-store starbucks at my local grocery store has been closed. there is a sign taped up more or less saying that no one wants to work anymore

This fuckin rules and i hope we see more and more of it everywhere, just bullshit jobs cancelled as far as the eye can see, may a million "this job is not necessary in any way and nobody wants to do it"s bloom

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ram dass in hell posted:

This fuckin rules and i hope we see more and more of it everywhere, just bullshit jobs cancelled as far as the eye can see, may a million "this job is not necessary in any way and nobody wants to do it"s bloom

return of the automat baby

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i want to talk to nobody's manager

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Gazpacho posted:

i want to talk to nobody's manager

they quit

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol CNN is back to headlining the "corporate workers working fast food!" now.

Whoever works the copy desk for the weekend at CNN is totally trying to S O S

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

silicone thrills posted:

lol CNN is back to headlining the "corporate workers working fast food!" now.

Whoever works the copy desk for the weekend at CNN is totally trying to S O S

wow they actually get to do real work for once in their lives

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I have a lot of sources from corporate who would tell you that their normal job is in fact harder. This is probably a vacation for them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sign at the place I went for lunch today:

"Please be patient with the workers who showed up today"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Palladium posted:

wow they actually get to do real work for once in their lives

I work in corporate IT now and I used to work in fast food. I have a hard time seeing myself go back because holy gently caress it was hard on my body, i was tired all the time and i swear to god it never felt like I was able to get the smells out of my hair.

People in food service deserve more pay than I make.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

zetamind2000 posted:

Just fuckin lie idiots.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

apatheticman posted:

Just fuckin lie idiots.

June 2016 to July 2017 - Personal Projects and Educational Study

"so what did you do?"

"I worked on a coding project and took coursera and community college classes"

"oh thats super cool! Way to better yourself!"

(all bullshit)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

nomad2020 posted:

I have a lot of sources from corporate who would tell you that their normal job is in fact harder. This is probably a vacation for them.

for some people, deffo, especially if they are earning white-collar wages to do physical labor

hell if I got paid what I earned now working bars or even my first job in a bakery it would be far more appealing just for the sheer stimulation of endorphins alone

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the most important thing is to just lie about having a current employer

its about beating the resume processing algorithm, not what to lie about when you're in the seat.

have a few variations of your resume that you just straight up rip keywords from desired job listings. it sucks but thats the only way to sneak through i think.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
to be clear: the system is hosed up and stupid and should be ripped apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The goal of the hiring process is for plausible deniability, change my mind