Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, I like the idea in theory but I've not seen anything that I felt compelled to actually want to read. I almost did Zdarsky's but I opted not to. A friend of mine did the Hickman one and said it's been mostly dossiers and backstory so far which is one of the reasons I didn't go for his so I'm glad I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Must admit given the whole deal of Substack serving as a platform for bunch of transphobes and alt-right shitlords to harass people (and apparently pay them to do it!) I've not followed anyone on there. I'm sure a lot of the creators didn't realise given how at least a few have pledged to donate their advances to charity, but I'm still giving it a pass.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 10, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Right after hearing about substack from some of these artists, I heard about how lovely the platform is. I barely have time for the comics I do buy, I can't go through the extras.

Also, I'm hoping that Image (and Ahoy) announce some drm-free store soon with Amazon's closing of Comixology. Otherwise I'm opening up a file at my comic shop again. (Stopped because my daughter was born, but she's almost 9 months now.) I'm just more used to the digital way of reading now, I need a whole lot less filing cabinets this way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only reason I signed up for patreon was for Evan Dorkin. I don’t know if I want to sign up for another one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What's this about comixology shutting down? Googling didn't give me anything useful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kwyndig posted:

What's this about comixology shutting down? Googling didn't give me anything useful.

It's not. It's just further integrating into Amazon as part of the Kindle store. The Comixology storefront itself will go away.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That might explain why they just bribed with a $3 Amazon gift card to take a survey that mostly asked how much of their brand identity was tied to their "comixology" logo. Spent 5-10 minutes insulting their graphic designer.

A few days ago I got tired of waiting for a cheaper price (I'm cheap, sue me--no don't actually) on Sex Criminals vol.6 and got it at half off. I think my last post about it was me saying the series was still good, but I'd lost a lot of interest in where the story decided it wanted to go.
I still like the characters and watching them do their things with each other, but this did nothing to change my view that the plot direction shift in vol.4 or vol.5 didn't appeal to me. It was enjoyable, but odds are I'm going to entirely forget about this series now that I've read the last of it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

A few days ago I got tired of waiting for a cheaper price (I'm cheap, sue me--no don't actually) on Sex Criminals vol.6 and got it at half off. I think my last post about it was me saying the series was still good, but I'd lost a lot of interest in where the story decided it wanted to go.
I still like the characters and watching them do their things with each other, but this did nothing to change my view that the plot direction shift in vol.4 or vol.5 didn't appeal to me. It was enjoyable, but odds are I'm going to entirely forget about this series now that I've read the last of it.

Yeah, completely agree. I still like the series in general but I think it really suffered when they decided to take it into a "serious" (to a degree) direction, and it was really hard for me to slog through the last volume in contrast to blowing (heh) through the early issues as soon as they came out.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
my mum raised me on ElfQuest

until a few weeks ago, i was under the impression that basically literally nobody cared about it after like, 1990

never heard anyone else even mention it

so i'm re-reading it. just finished the Original Quest. even better than i remembered!

i never actually read past Kings of the Broken Wheel, because i seem to recall silly stuff like ELVES IN SPACE

now that i'm older, i'm fully onboard for the series getting bad and silly (if it does)

does it get bad or are my fears unfounded??

Skywise rules
Cutter drools

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It gets pretty horny and up its own rear end later but nothing straight up problematic that I remember

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

It gets pretty horny and up its own rear end later but nothing straight up problematic that I remember

it was always horny.

the stuff that wasn't made by Wendy is hit or miss, but I love Elfquest so much. I think reading that at the age I did (grade 3-7) seriously impacted the way I looked at sex and relationships, though I didn't realize it until my late 20s when I went back to it again.

I never read final quest though, I need to make some time and do that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On a vaguely similar note, has anyone read White Ash and got an opinion? I read the FCBD issue and was curious.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jordan7hm posted:

it was always horny.

the stuff that wasn't made by Wendy is hit or miss, but I love Elfquest so much. I think reading that at the age I did (grade 3-7) seriously impacted the way I looked at sex and relationships, though I didn't realize it until my late 20s when I went back to it again.

I never read final quest though, I need to make some time and do that.

big agree with all this haha

my mum raised me on it and i legitimately got a lot of "life lessons" out of it

though i did notice on my reread how it's REALLY REALLY HETERO until after the Original Quest. Like, I recall Wendy saying that almost all of the elves were pan and poly, citing that Cutter and Skywise were definitely fuckin, but like... it's REALLY not on the page, you don't see any gay kissing or gay couples, which comes off as weird considering how open it was about everything else

actually i'm gonna make an ElfQuest thread because there's a LOT i wanna unpack there

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

actually i'm gonna make an ElfQuest thread because there's a LOT i wanna unpack there

Don't forget to include how the Pinis were good friends with Piers Anthony at one point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

On a vaguely similar note, has anyone read White Ash and got an opinion? I read the FCBD issue and was curious.

It's not bad. A little too horny for its main female lead sometimes but it does some fun stuff with Norse mythology in a small mining town in Pennsylvania.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

Don't forget to include how the Pinis were good friends with Piers Anthony at one point.

goddamn it i did not need to know that ugggghhhhhhhh

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/ew/status/1446918406129786881?s=10

:woop:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool to see! Good time for me to get reading that stack of trades.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I caught up on the last two issues of Love & Rockets and like-- I think the Tonta stuff is great, I love it, the story with her and Maggie on the beach was fantastic, but I feel like Beto has completely just lost me. I feel like all of the Fritz stuff has been kind of a decline but I was surprised to find myself at the point where I went from skimming to just skipping his pages. Does anyone want to take a stab at a defense of his recent work? I don't want to dislike it, I just can't find my way in at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I mean that's good news, but at the current pace I will probably die of old age before the series is completed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I mean that's good news, but at the current pace I will probably die of old age before the series is completed.

Now, now, don't exaggerate. At the current pace it will finish in 2028. 16 years for 108 issues is nothing when you consider Planetary.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have Comixology Unlimited, check out The AllNighter by Zdarsky. They dropped the first two issues and it seems pretty cool so far.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Saw this retweeted by Zdarsky:

https://twitter.com/cbwupdx/status/1455197610952708100

Edit: The link doesn’t work, go here:
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/image-comics-staffers-form-a-union-comic-book-workers-united/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:toot:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Good for them. It is a funny contradiction given how Image was started by a bunch of artist trying to get better deal.

edit: Good on Jim Valentino for supporting the staff.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 1, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

side_burned posted:

Good for them. It is a funny contradiction given how the Image was started by a bunch of artist trying to get better deal.

They sometimes did, it's just their better deal didn't include the people who weren't drawing or writing books in the equation. (Sometime not including people writing in the case of Neil Gaimen and Spawn).

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Skwirl posted:

They sometimes did, it's just their better deal didn't include the people who weren't drawing or writing books in the equation. (Sometime not including people writing in the case of Neil Gaimen and Spawn).

McFarlen killing Angela to spite Giamen will always make me laugh.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

side_burned posted:

McFarlen killing Angela to spite Giamen will always make me laugh.

Gaiman selling Angela to Marvel for a buck will always make me laugh

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Madkal posted:

Gaiman selling Angela to Marvel for a buck will always make me laugh

To be fair, Gaiman sold the character for a buck and, more importantly, a chance to finish his run on Mircleman; which was the same deal offered when McFarlen owned the rights to Mircleman. Marvel didn't ask for anything that Giaman had not already offered. Selling an intellectual property that hadn't been used for much of anything since the end of the 90's for the opportunity to finish a passion project sounds like a good deal to me.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 1, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A bunch of notable comic book pros, chief among them Greg Pak, have tweeted in support of the Image workers union. Warms my heart. :unsmith:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JordanKai posted:

A bunch of notable comic book pros, chief among them Greg Pak, have tweeted in support of the Image workers union. Warms my heart. :unsmith:

:toot:

Good for them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This week's Hellboy comic was really good. I stopped paying attention to the Mignolaverse for a while since I felt like it was really slipping when Scott Allie was co-writing it, but I'm getting a feeling things are back on track again. I guess I should go back and read all of the stuff I missed since Allie got the boot.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anybody read that comic Bermuda? By Layman/Bradshaw, looks pretty fun.

Any opinions on Birthright? That sounded kind of intriguing. How about Seeley's Bequest? And various fantasy romp or related fantasy-ish kind of comics in general, lot to choose from. Helm Greycastle?

And how about those action-y thingies like Deep Beyond and Nocterra? Brzrkr any good? For older stuff, I've been interested in some of those D&D comics, and Skullkickers, and Tellos. And just oodles of series on the list to check out. Like Outpost Zero, The New World, Killadelphia, anybody read Oblivion Song or Kirkman's recent stuff, Motor Crush, The Kill Lock, Higher Earth, about a zillion comics of interest. Comics folks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

Anybody read that comic Bermuda? By Layman/Bradshaw, looks pretty fun.

Any opinions on Birthright? That sounded kind of intriguing. How about Seeley's Bequest? And various fantasy romp or related fantasy-ish kind of comics in general, lot to choose from. Helm Greycastle?

And how about those action-y thingies like Deep Beyond and Nocterra? Brzrkr any good? For older stuff, I've been interested in some of those D&D comics, and Skullkickers, and Tellos. And just oodles of series on the list to check out. Like Outpost Zero, The New World, Killadelphia, anybody read Oblivion Song or Kirkman's recent stuff, Motor Crush, The Kill Lock, Higher Earth, about a zillion comics of interest. Comics folks.

I read Nocterra. It's a like a fun horror take on 70's trucker movies.

The best D&D comic was the 4E one John Rogers wrote, but the Jim Zub Baldur's Gate stuff is fun.

You sound like you really should read Oni Press' Dryad which is currently on hiatus as they work to finish the last of it in a graphic novel instead of releasing monthlies. Once and Future is great, too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

D&D comics? How does a meta angle work for you? Die, Critical Role, Adventure Zone, and Rick & Morty vs Dungeons & Dragons are all neat. Rolled & Told is a periodical with lots of campaigns and advice, with visual aids and comic pages sprinkled throughout - not a graphic novel, but still fun to read.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks folks! That all sounds good to me. My brother has the Adventure Zone graphic novels, I hadn't thought of that since I only listened a little, but that could be fun as well.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Heavy Metal posted:

Recommendation request

Birthright - dragged a bit in the middle but I liked it a lot overall
Helm Greycastle - dropped after one issue
Deep Beyond - dropped after a couple issues
Nocterra - kind of generic but worth a look
BZRKR - same
The New World - I recall the story being a bit hackneyed but it's worth it for the art
Killadelphia - interesting concept but it never really grabbed me
Oblivion Song - I quite like it and it's wrapping up soon which is handy
Motor Crush - checked it out but dropped it

For fantasy, I'd second Die, Dryad, and Once & Future. Magic seems good but someone who knows the card game might appreciate it more than I do. Descender and Ascender cover both sci fi and fantasy. Seven to Eternity and the Realm have similar vibes. Folklords was short but sweet, as was Berserker Unbound. Isola and the Autumnlands were off to good starts but seem to be on indefinite hiatus. Scales and Scoundrels was cute.

Yes there are indeed many comics to read!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, comics ahoy! Good to know, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Skyward from Image was a good recent fantasy-ish (technically sci-fi, but the world it depicts is fantasy for all purposes) comic you might like. Plus it's only three volumes in total so very readable.