Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A big problem with prerendered backgrounds is that they also don't play as nicely with HD. The original FFs were made before that was even a consideration and the art design plays into that to try to hide some of the seams as best it can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't think FFX had two of its main characters swap personalities by popular perception for years so I think FFVII wins out on that front

I was gonna say "You mean four?" but people replying to this post demonstrated that already haha

And to be fair, that's just as much on the writers for all the subsequent FF7 EU garbage as it is the fans

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Where the gently caress is 5 pixel remaster

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are there any modern games that have tried to do pre-rendered backgrounds the same way the FF games did? Or is the quality gap between what can be pre-rendered and what can be done in-engine just so small that it wouldn't be noticeable now?

Fantasian has backgrounds made entirely as real, physical dioramas that were scanned into the game, which looks pretty cool.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MatchaZed posted:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pigbuster posted:

All the Final Fantasies have wildly misleading cultural osmosis, but FFX has got to the worst in that regard. Going in mostly blind you'd be familiar with, like, the laughing meme, the tropical setting, blitzball, and maybe funny accent man. Then you find out that the story is depressing, the setting is tropical because it's flooded constantly, blitzball isn't fun to play, and Wakka is a bigot.

I feel like IX got that the most just because nobody played it at release. VII and VIII were huge hits, then it came out right around the PS2 launch which overshadowed it and immediately made it look dated and boring, and then X came out the next year and that was another absurdly popular game that completely displaced it. It's only been in the last few years that people have given it a second look.

You go into it, maybe you've heard of Vivi, "the crystals are back" and it's a return to FF's fantasy roots (but what do you care because you only played the cyberpunk/modern games), and the character designs are all exaggerated and cartoonish again like in VII and earlier. Looks like a lighthearted romp.

And then :unsmith: :gbsmith: :smith: :smithcloud: :smithicide: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

Are there any modern games that have tried to do pre-rendered backgrounds the same way the FF games did? Or is the quality gap between what can be pre-rendered and what can be done in-engine just so small that it wouldn't be noticeable now?

The Eternity Engine games did exactly that, like Pillars, Tyranny, and Numenera. But those were explicitly hearkening back to the Black Isle style CRPGs, not J.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MatchaZed posted:

They gave it to Gilgamesh to deliver. Shouldn't have made it sword shaped.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I forgot the Desert Palace is actually a pretty short dungeon. I mean, most dungeons in FFIX are short, but I am pretty sure there is some 'random encounter limiter" for the candle puzzle rooms like the first big room and the library. I know you can get attacked there if you take too long like a stupid teenage me did but not a single fight this time or last time.

So it's definitely a lower encounter rate for the Steam/mobile versions in general (which I assume is what you're playing), but the idea of a limiter got me thinking whether or not there is a significantly lower encounter rate in the Desert Palace than usual, so I took a look at the scripts. For the first big candle room, there definitely is a lower encounter rate than in most areas (albeit not by much), but I think the big thing is that it has you transition out into the big isometric stairway screen while you're solving the puzzle, which causes the step counter (which determines when you get into an encounter) to reset when you enter the candle area again. At least I think that's how it works, if so I think that's a big reason why encounters are so uncommon in the Desert Palace in general, there's a lot of transitioning to other screens to activate candles which, if I'm right, resets the step counter towards an encounter.

Generally speaking in FF9 larger rooms have lower encounter rates and smaller rooms have higher rates, but in the Steam version the chances for a random battle are lowered to the extent that if you're running through a more linear dungeon you're not often going to get into a fight unless you actively try to do so. The Desert Palace is especially guilty of this; I remember when I was working on making edits in the battles in the area and it very tedious to test each screen due to how much running in circles you have to do to actually get a fight going.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bruceski posted:

They gave it to Gilgamesh to deliver. Shouldn't have made it sword shaped.

Damnit he's gonna come back with an FFV remake complete with a fully modern engine and voice acting.

Faris will not sound like a pirate.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mustached Demon posted:

Damnit he's gonna come back with an FFV remake complete with a fully modern engine and voice acting.

Faris will not sound like a pirate.

Or she'll sound EVEN MORE like a pirate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Or she'll sound EVEN MORE like a pirate.

*the monkey's paw curls*
She's voiced by Laura Bailey, Butz is Troy Baker

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Does anybody have some general combat tips for stranger of paradise.

I've played Nioh but this games combat just isn't clicking and I'm chugging potions like crazy. The Chaos fight was fine but every other fight is big group fights that are a mess for me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

A big problem with prerendered backgrounds is that they also don't play as nicely with HD. The original FFs were made before that was even a consideration and the art design plays into that to try to hide some of the seams as best it can.
They play exactly as nicely with HD as they are rendered. The problem is with evolving standards of HD and availability of good scaling technology. And scaling of data space i.e. its often smaller to pack textures and code models of a 4k 3d rendered scene than store prerendered 4k anything. Or you use similar or the same data as a 1080 scene and it just has more pixels.

It's a technique that gets brought out occasionally because you can make super luxe isometric or fixed perspective backgrounds that simulate ambient occlusion and other expensive rendering techniques because you bake them into the render. You trade physical storage for either rendering expertise, rendering quality or system requirements.

I am pretty sure the Pillars of Eternity series still does this (it was also the technique adopted in the original Infinity Engine games its paying homage to) and its backgrounds are prerendered static images or looping movies and even with a ton of modern techniques to layer renders to get multiple times of days and render runs muxed together its just comically large and takes long to load a map compared to doing something similar but less good looking with a dynamic render.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

zedprime posted:

I am pretty sure the Pillars of Eternity series still does this (it was also the technique adopted in the original Infinity Engine games its paying homage to) and its backgrounds are prerendered static images or looping movies and even with a ton of modern techniques to layer renders to get multiple times of days and render runs muxed together its just comically large and takes long to load a map compared to doing something similar but less good looking with a dynamic render.

To be clear, Deadfire's prerendered backgrounds look really good though. Pretty much best in class.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I remembered Faris was in WOFF and checked for her cutscenes and sure enough they hosed it up and didn’t give her a bad pirate accent. It’s still a good voice otherwise though IMO:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e809LqZSVkI
3:20, idk how to do time stamps sorry

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

MatchaZed posted:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I did notice that in steam 5 went from "scheduled release: 2021" to "this title is not yet available" so I'm in :f5: mode for news at this point.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MatchaZed posted:

theyre saving the best for last...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MatchaZed posted:

Where the gently caress is Mystic Quest pixel remaster

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

In that case where's 6?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

FF8 PS5 Remake?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

I've played Nioh but this games combat just isn't clicking and I'm chugging potions like crazy. The Chaos fight was fine but every other fight is big group fights that are a mess for me.

I don’t have an answer but I was the exact opposite. Other than the first bomb hallway I didn’t have much trouble dealing with trash but it took me probably 30 tries to beat Chaos

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

We're getting an FFT Pixel Remaster????

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Clever, guys, but let us not remember this immutable fact:

Final Fantasy 5 is the best Final Fantasy that isn't Final Fantasy 14.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Evil Fluffy posted:

jokes posted:

Clever, guys, but let us not remember this immutable fact:

Final Fantasy 5 is the best Final Fantasy that isn't Final Fantasy 14.

both of these posts, somehow, are 100% true.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Some people don't like the mobile version FFT but I think its really good. Even the touch controls are pretty intuitive once set them up properly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Golden Goat posted:

This may help, since I apparently missed it and went through the whole first and second demo up to try 200 or so on the second boss:

Soul Shield is not a very demanding parry where you have to hit and let go during the attack connect. As long as you had it on before the attack hits and you re-tap it before the next one, it will protect you. It will also protect you from attacks at any angle.

For group fights, magic has very long range that you can cast before they're aware of you. Also you can trade aggro with your AI companions to either run back and charge another spell, or pick off enemies at the edges of groups.

Also Lightbringer is your friend for quick groups. Make sure to use other command abilities too, I settled into a good rhythm with the Monk's Counter (which halves break drain and doubles MP earned from shielding) and Dragoon's Swayback (1 MP for a low startup dodge with lots of invincibility frames and restores break). Weaving those into fights meant I could just have shield up most of the time lol

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cheers! I'll try and use lightbringer and abilities more. I was mostly forgetting about them in fights.

FFVIII: The forest owls plan hinges heavily on nobody looking out the window to see two new cars coupling with their own.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Look, you can’t expect a low-level operation like the Forest Owls to have the resources to deal with things like “windows” and “people having eyes”.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If Rinoa got her planning abilities from General Caraway I guess it's not surprising how weird the train heist idea is

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It all works out in the end because Galbadian soldiers are incredibly incompetent.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the train heist is weird and stupid because final fantasy 8 is weird and stupid and thats why it owns

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

God I love the forest owls huddling in a corner planning.

Also Cid: "We're loaning you SeeDs until Timber achieves independance."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The game makes it pretty clear that the Forest Owls are really bad at this and the plan only works because it was a trap in the first place.

Also the whole thing is literally Rinoa's teenage rebellion against her dad.

FF8 is probably the most accurate depiction of teenagers being absolute dipshits.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm wondering if FF8 is actually any more stupid and incoherent than the 2D FFs but it's just noticed more because birdbrained poo poo like 'travel a major ocean by jumping in the sea with a diving helmet on and letting the current take you' reads better with cartoon sprites than it would have with photorealistic (for the time) high fidelity 3D

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 10, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FFVIII is absolutely the best teenager simulator ever put into videogame form.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The game makes it pretty clear that the Forest Owls are really bad at this and the plan only works because it was a trap in the first place.

Like their theme song is a big give away that this is a comedy segment.

It's really good.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

multijoe posted:

I'm wondering if FF8 is actuall any more stupid and incoherent than the 2D FFs but it's just noticed more because birdbrained poo poo like 'travel a major ocean by jumping in the sea with a diving helmet on and letting the current take you' reads better with cartoon sprites than it would have with photorealistic (for the time) high fidelity 3D

final fantasy 8's plot feels like a chunk of it got cut out at some point but tbh it isnt really that incoherent compared to some other JRPGs. the plot is just really stupid but that doesnt make it bad either and i think final fantasy 8 is actually pretty underrated in a lot of ways once you get past the half baked gameplay systems and a plot that goes off the rails after disk 1

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the whole thing is literally Rinoa's teenage rebellion against her dad.

I never really liked this interpretation. Like, could that be part of it? Sure but reducing Rinoa to "is mad at her dad" just feels insulting. FFVIII insults Rinoa enough without fans adding to it.

Also she (and the plot) stops caring about her dad after Disk 1 so he clearly isn't the center of her world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The plot going off the rails after disc one is why it’s good. It just keeps escalating the bizarre until you invade a Moon Cube and reality implodes on itself.