Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I....don't think I'd order the Pulpo :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pulpo is great

dont order it from these peeps christ

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

A restaurant only using local ingredients is a great idea... but not when it's a "Mexican" restaurant in the UK. That doesn't make any sense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I am trying to think of... any mexican ingredents that are native to the UK and I can't. Like you have no peppers, no spices, no corn, no avocado...

I guess you just have to eat eggs while wearing a sarape or something.

Maybe local means grown locally, not native. If somebody managed to grow avocados on the Cursed Islands, it would also count.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
What’s the famous restaurant in Denmark where they only use ingredients native to Denmark, so all the acid flavors are either ferments or ants?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
noma

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

pulpo is great

dont order it from these peeps christ

I just don't think I could handle a whole grilled octopus showing up on my plate.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont be a coward wey

(its usually not whole in mexican preparations lol)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
at least you know its dead

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How do you even whole grill an octopus? Octopus shape doesn't seem like it would be conducive to grilling.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was trying to look it up to get a better idea of the serving style, and welp :rip:

e: oh wait, there it is

That's not as horrifying as I thought, I expected a whole whole octopus

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

How do you even whole grill an octopus? Octopus shape doesn't seem like it would be conducive to grilling.

i think they just clip the tentacles off the bottom leaving them connected and that's "whole" octopus, they aren't leaving the head on it.

efb lmao

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I am trying to think of... any mexican ingredents that are native to the UK and I can't. Like you have no peppers, no spices, no corn, no avocado...

I guess you just have to eat eggs while wearing a sarape or something.

Well, that's gonna be the result of a cuisine that evolved for hundreds of years on a separate continent with an entire biosphere isolated from Afro-Eurasia.

Although UK cuisine is kinda infamous for being the least exciting and appealing of any national cuisine. Partially because when you separate food into national cuisines, you have to take out all the foreign stuff that they got out of their empire.

I don't even know what they mean by "smoked chilli". You'd think they could afford a spellcheck.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would eat at the dumb restaurant, it's probably pretty decent, even if it's a stupid gimmick
Someone else is paying though

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Turns out that carbonated water and chocolate flavor is a really bad combination.

I like soda water with chocolate syrup and milk, or a chocolate ice cream soda.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although UK cuisine is kinda infamous for being the least exciting and appealing of any national cuisine.

I know this is the stereotype but I also won't stop complaining about it when Germany, most of central and Eastern Europe and all of Scandinavia exists

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Should have gone with the spice rack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aimMTZ-rUBc

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Butterfly Valley posted:

I know this is the stereotype but I also won't stop complaining about it when Germany, most of central and Eastern Europe and all of Scandinavia exists

Yes, it's unfair all those places have way better cuisine than the UK, but that's life.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Here's a few more dishes from that UK/Mexican restaurant. Let me grab my magnifying glass and I'll give you a critique

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also separating 'foreign stuff that we got from the empire' is absurd. Are we going to separate tomatoes from Italian cuisine while we're at it? One of the best things about British cuisine is how adaptable and readily accepting of foreign influences it is, and that's been the case for centuries.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also separating 'foreign stuff that we got from the empire' is absurd. Are we going to separate tomatoes from Italian cuisine while we're at it? One of the best things about British cuisine is how adaptable and readily accepting of foreign influences it is, and that's been the case for centuries.

Imagine all those centuries of adapting and enrichment and at the end you are still stuck with British food, lol

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I like soda water with chocolate syrup and milk (edit: a New York egg cream. Couldn't remember the name earlier), or a chocolate ice cream soda.

quote is not edit, dumbass

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine all those centuries of adapting and enrichment and at the end you are still stuck with British food, lol

Food culture in the UK is genuinely excellent and you can eat incredibly well in any average sized city there which is more than I can say for many other places I've been and lived. I currently live in Luxembourg surrounded by France Germany and Belgium and I would chew my arm off to have anything like the range and quality of restaurants here that I did back in the UK.

As an aside, the French have been huffing their own farts for decades when it comes to cuisine and many of the French people I know are some of the most boring and unadventurous eaters imaginable.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

American food owes a lot more to German expats from 1848 than it does to England.

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's a whole thing that's kinda arbitrary, but it's how it goes when you separate food into national cuisines, despite all foods naturally being a whole melange of influences all at once.

Like if an english person tries to design their own burrito, they'll naturally use all the influences they have available to them, but if they want to make an "english burrito", they'll be calling upon a specific weird exaggeration of what they consider "english", so they won't put in peppers or curry or whatever, they'll try putting in like potatoes and cod or bush's baked beans. That's what "regional cuisine" is, the dumb stereotypes of what people expect out of a place, and lemme tell you guy, England has some of the dumbest.

Like I dunno what places branding themselves as "american-style food" serve abroad, but they probably don't offer like General Tso's Chicken, even though that's American as apple pie.

Butterfly Valley posted:

As an aside, the French have been huffing their own farts for decades

True dat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

axolotl farmer posted:

Turns out that carbonated water and chocolate flavor is a really bad combination.

It wasn't the first Swedish chocolate soda either. This Chocolate Zingo is from the 1970s.

I think the problem isn't insurmountable, Coke with a couple squirts of Hershey's chocolate syrup is pretty good for example

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

As mentioned above, egg creams (chocolate syrup, carbonated water, and milk, no eggs or cream) are actually really good. I first had one in an old-timey soda fountain that was part of some museum, and I was blown away by how well it worked.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Like I dunno what places branding themselves as "american-style food" serve abroad, but they probably don't offer like General Tso's Chicken, even though that's American as apple pie.

It could run the whole gamut from burgers to hot dogs to tex-mex to southern barbecue or cajun style food, which should illustrate further my point about it being slightly ridiculous to try to separate food with heavy influence from immigration/slavery/empire/whatever. There's recipes for curry in British cookbooks older than the United States.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, that's gonna be the result of a cuisine that evolved for hundreds of years on a separate continent with an entire biosphere isolated from Afro-Eurasia.

Although UK cuisine is kinda infamous for being the least exciting and appealing of any national cuisine. Partially because when you separate food into national cuisines, you have to take out all the foreign stuff that they got out of their empire.

The UK, IMO is perfectly capable of making very nice food, if you want to get weird about it you probably have to remove poo poo like garlic despite that being endemic to the UK for like two millenia because the romans probably brought it over, but people have been making great stuff out of what you would think of as "native" stuff like root vegetables and poo poo, love me a good stew or lancashire hotpot, haggis neeps and tatties are really nice too, IMO a better cheese game than France and plenty of savoury pies and pastries.

But I highly doubt there are many places in the UK you can get anything that would pass muster as "mexican" because we're a zillion loving miles away from the place and if you refuse to use anything that only grows in the new world then yeah you are just making some weird loving challenge food.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think it could be an interesting challenge to oneself to try to adapt a method or dish from one place to the native ingredients of another, but a that restaurant looks.....special.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the "english burrito" is a mcdonalds breakfast wrap.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

OwlFancier posted:

SEVENTY loving QUID FOR A STARTER

It's 70 for the 6 course tasting menu dog. And 105 for the 9 course, which is downright reasonable.

Not gonna lie that menu sounds absolutely dope and I would eat there in a heartbeat. The chef there is native to Mexico, and was headhunted by Rene Redzepi to run the Noma Mexico project, so the the dude 100% knows his poo poo and is treating that style cuisine with respect. Making drat good food with what you have available locally instead of carting poo poo all over the globe is as far from AFP as you can get.

Butterfly Valley posted:

As an aside, the French have been huffing their own farts for decades when it comes to cuisine and many of the French people I know are some of the most boring and unadventurous eaters imaginable.

:hai:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: I don't know what I was expecting, but goddamn they're terrible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm one of the few candy corn supporters and those look like a travesty (I'd still try them)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess at least you get them in different pieces, rather than what I had feared, which was that they were all flavoured like turkey dinner and apple pie and coffee at the same time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Uhhh... Are the green bean ones savory? Can't imagine candy green bean flavor - but at least they are color coded for easy discarding.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Casu Marzu posted:

What was the worse one in your opinion? Also is that a stadia controller?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Uhhh... Are the green bean ones savory? Can't imagine candy green bean flavor - but at least they are color coded for easy discarding.

They all start very generic sweet and then you get hit with whatever flavor it's supposed to be.

Zil posted:

What was the worse one in your opinion? Also is that a stadia controller?

From least worst to most worst: coffee, apple pie, cranberry, stuffing, turkey, the plastic package, green beans

And nope, it's a xbone controller.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Merkin Muffley posted:

Not gonna lie that menu sounds absolutely dope and I would eat there in a heartbeat. The chef there is native to Mexico, and was headhunted by Rene Redzepi to run the Noma Mexico project, so the the dude 100% knows his poo poo and is treating that style cuisine with respect. Making drat good food with what you have available locally instead of carting poo poo all over the globe is as far from AFP as you can get.

"The Danish love him" is not the Mexican food flex that you seem to think it is.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

https://twitter.com/momofnorank/status/1446149270793555971

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
"unidentifiable food item" is my favorite genre of AFP, and where better than a fine dining restaurant to find it? And where is more fine than Trump International Hotel?