Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I really liked the Captain Carter one, but I also really like crazy WWII super-science and seeing Nazis get punched in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Because they all tie together at the end, you kinda need to watch them all. Even the “meh” ones are still not objectionable to sit through once.

But if you only watch one, it’s the Doctor Strange episode. That’s the only one I think I’ll go back and watch again at any point. The rest was (fun but) disposable fluff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

Because they all tie together at the end, you kinda need to watch them all. Even the “meh” ones are still not objectionable to sit through once.

But if you only watch one, it’s the Doctor Strange episode. That’s the only one I think I’ll go back and watch again at any point. The rest was (fun but) disposable fluff.

Doctor Strange Lost His Heart was such a gut punch. It really stands above the rest of the season in terms of impact in my opinion. There's also a real gothic horror vibe going on. Has science magic gone too far?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Proteus Jones posted:

Favs in order:

Dr Strange
Party Thor
Ultron Gets Infinity Stones
Watcher Breaks His Oath

That said, if you're introducing someone to the series, ep1 is very solid choice. It takes a familiar story for most viewers and does a find/replace with Steve Rodgers for Buff Peggy Carter.
Mine would be Dr Strange, Party Thor, the finale, and T'Challa Star Lord.

The problem with the Captain Carter episode was that it's basically just The First Avenger again but with Peggy as Cap. So it's just not as interesting to me.

Fury's Bad Week and the Zombies episode were a little too dark for my liking. The Killmonger one seemed a little pointless.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Proteus Jones posted:

Doctor Strange Lost His Heart was such a gut punch. It really stands above the rest of the season in terms of impact in my opinion. There's also a real gothic horror vibe going on. Has science magic gone too far?

It's one of the only stories that isn't just a mashed-up reskin of existing stories. The others are all Thor-is Beuller's Day Off, Captain America The Thicc Avenger, Bleak Panther, uh... Night of the Living Head, and... um ... Ant-Man and the Dead Wasp?

(I thought I had more when I started that sentence.)

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Parkingtigers posted:

(I thought I had more when I started that sentence.)
Yes, but enough about my Saturday night pick-up lines.

Xenomrph posted:

I really liked the Captain Carter one, but I also really like crazy WWII super-science and seeing Nazis get punched in the face
Really why I liked this one. I don't think it's as completely carbon-copy as most say, but I do agree that later entries dove more enthusiastically into the What If... concept. That said, punching Nazis is never not enjoyable. [notaspoiler]Especially because Capt. Carter does it so much better than Capt. Rodgers[/notaspoiler] Still, "Darth Brooks" has it correct, here;

Darth Brooks posted:

Everybody's list is going to be different because the episodes were so different in tone.
And that's a good thing!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's eight 22-minute episodes, none of which are so bad or even so average you could call them skippable. Just watch them all, they're all good in different ways.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Just like the What If comic series, the MCU What If isn't the best or most important offering, but I'm very glad it exists. It's fun to play around with the characters and concepts in a setting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just love the way it celebrated Chadwick Boseman, hearing him again was beautiful. I love that T’Challa is essentially always a dashing, charming, handsome good guy no matter who raises him.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

It's eight 22-minute episodes, none of which are so bad or even so average you could call them skippable. Just watch them all, they're all good in different ways.

Just gonna empty quote because this is the way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If the last episode didn’t hand-cuffed the previous 7, I would have much preferred to see a Star Wars Vision approach where each story is handled by a different studio and given more liberty in terms of art direction. Or say gently caress it and have the last episode play the same but with very distinct art styles clashing as an indication of how different the universes are.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If the last episode didn’t hand-cuffed the previous 7, I would have much preferred to see a Star Wars Vision approach where each story is handled by a different studio and given more liberty in terms of art direction. Or say gently caress it and have the last episode play the same but with very distinct art styles clashing as an indication of how different the universes are.

That would be cool, but people would just call it an Into the Spiderverse ripoff.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zil posted:

Such a great running gag.

I also liked that Queen of Fables has the "sassy black woman" voice (Wanda Sykes voices the character with the full power of Wanda Sykes) but is also just a flat-out loving nightmare of a person otherwise.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is my biggest personal what if for What If. I really wish every episode got to have its own completely distinct style.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the only What-If episode that's generally agreed to be a dud is the Killmonger one, because it doesn't really involve any characters behaving any differently to how they did in the normal canon, they just had some different opportunities. The only new thing you learn about Killmonger is, what, that he liked anime as a kid?

Everything else is personal taste; some might feel that episodes are too dark or too silly or too zombies. Personally I like silly episodes best so Starlord T'challa and Party Thor are my tops.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tenebrais posted:

I think the only What-If episode that's generally agreed to be a dud is the Killmonger one, because it doesn't really involve any characters behaving any differently to how they did in the normal canon, they just had some different opportunities. The only new thing you learn about Killmonger is, what, that he liked anime as a kid?

Everything else is personal taste; some might feel that episodes are too dark or too silly or too zombies. Personally I like silly episodes best so Starlord T'challa and Party Thor are my tops.

The Killmonger ep is the only one I have yet to finish. It was also probably the one most affected by spoilers. I was pretty much spoiled for every episode here. Killmonger was the only episode where I was "Despite knowing the plot points, do I care enough about this episode to watch them fully play out? No. No I do not."

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Starlord is my fav episode because it really makes good on the promise of the show: one turn of fate can change so many people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

One issue is that too many episodes are 'What If The Villain Won' which makes some of the plots stale.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I have to admit I didn't like the Starlord episode because all the others feel like a fairly reasonable 'the road not taken' and here it's just 'T'Challa talked Thanos out of his plan by being awesome and also isn't really that different a person despite having a totally different upbringing'. Like once you've established your protagonist removed Thanos as a threat through sheer force of charisma it's hard to feel there's any risk to them. Also I just don't buy The Collector as an uber super-villain.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 11, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah my biggest issue is them making The Collector into a major threat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I will never poo-poo more Benicio Del Torro. :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chilled out Thanos is cool even if he has that RPG boss problem where he's more of threat fighting against the heroes then he is fighting with the heroes.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Electric Phantasm posted:

Chilled out Thanos is cool even if he has that RPG boss problem where he's more of threat fighting against the heroes then he is fighting with the heroes.

In Infinity War he had the various stones and a big-rear end space army.

In Endgame he had the space army, that big double-sword things and occasional use of the stones.

In the What If? episode he had none of those things, so reasonable power downgrade.

Meanwhile, I've been checking the Marvel Rising/Secret Warriors stuff. I Flove Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel/ Kamala is adorable as well and that series damned well better let her have/keep her embiggening powers, too.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I watched most of the episodes; I skipped 2, 5, and 6. In hindsight, 3 also felt skippable. I enjoyed the rest, though, and I liked it coming together in the last couple of episodes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thanos bareknuckle boxed The Incredible Hulk and beat his cracker rear end, he doesn’t need poo poo

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

surf rock posted:

I watched most of the episodes; I skipped 2, 5, and 6. In hindsight, 3 also felt skippable. I enjoyed the rest, though, and I liked it coming together in the last couple of episodes.

So you skipped over a third of the episodes but liked it all coming together?

It's 8 episodes less than 30 minutes each, I don't know why anything needs to be skipped

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

So you skipped over a third of the episodes but liked it all coming together?

It's 8 episodes less than 30 minutes each, I don't know why anything needs to be skipped

I didn't need to skip the last half or so of 6. I wanted to because I already knew the plot at that point and just didn't care enough about the episode itself to finish it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Of all the must-watch TV out there it's probably fine to skip whatever episodes you want to of the animated marvel spinoff meant entirely as fanservice of no consequence

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Skipping episodes of a show that weaves them all together seems like texting/being absent through a good chunk of a movie, or skipping chapters of a book. Enjoy your entertainment however you please, but to me it's like you didn't really watch it.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I liked Chadwick as Black Panther. His movie was pretty good and he was just great on screen in general.

But I find it absolutely cringe how many people seem to fetishize him. Feels like that kind of terminal Lib poo poo where you don't buy a ticket to see his movie because "you wanted more seats for black people available."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Everyone posted:

I would guess probably not going to be a thing then.

She got reasonably buff for the new Mission Impossible. Besides, do some hand-wavey "Works different with women, they get the same benefits, but just look more athletic than buff" technobabble and you're golden. Or just tell people to gently caress off, she's in shape and has super strength.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bust Rodd posted:

Thanos bareknuckle boxed The Incredible Hulk and beat his cracker rear end, he doesn’t need poo poo

He had the stone from Xandar at least at that point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, I just assumed from that scene that Thanos was just from a planet like Venus with like 100x Earth’s gravity and acid diamond hail and everyone from the purple side of the planet was just an ultra-hulk badass. He appeared to be comparably strong, but with finesse and dexterity that caught Hulk off guard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its not like Hulk is unbeatable. He's taken down by the Hulkbuster. And just one movie prior Thor goes toe to toe with him without his hammer.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

twistedmentat posted:

He had the stone from Xandar at least at that point.

The movie doesn't show him using it though, does it?

Thanos also beat the poo poo out of Iron Man, Mjolnir Cap, and Stormbreaker Thor at the same time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kazil posted:

The movie doesn't show him using it though, does it?

Thanos also beat the poo poo out of Iron Man, Mjolnir Cap, and Stormbreaker Thor at the same time.

He is wearing it in the gauntlet at the time, so he presumably gets a power boost from that alone.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Everyone posted:

Meanwhile, I've been checking the Marvel Rising/Secret Warriors stuff. I Flove Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel/ Kamala is adorable as well and that series damned well better let her have/keep her embiggening powers, too.

The rumor is that they're changing Ms. Marvel's powers to be more like light constructs around her such as Green Lantern rather than her stretching. Maybe in part to keep her different from Reed Richards, maybe because stretching powers usually look pretty terrible and unsettling in live action, and maybe because of budget.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Didn't they cancel the Squirrel Girl thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a bunch of animated movies called Marvel Rising that focuses on the Secret Warriors a team of teen heroes like Ms Marvel, Inferno, Spider-Gwen and others including Chloe Bennet voicing Quake. Milana Vayntrub voices Squirrel Girl in those.

There was a New Warriors (a different team of teen heroes) live action pilot for Freeform that was supposed to star Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl. That got passed on and died before any of it came to light.