Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that's ready-to-spray so do not dilute it. The dish soap isn't going to hurt, but I think that formulation already has a surfactant in it.

Just FYI, for $25-30 (probably a little more than twice what you paid for that ready to spray gallon) you can buy a quart of straight 41% glyphosate that you can mix into 10 gallons of ready to spray. Whether that makes sense or not depends on how much you use, but just putting that out there so you know.

I go through enough that I buy it by the gallon, but I'm maintaining fence lines and gravel paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok, message received on both counts.

Thanks for the tree advice!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

what's the name of the lock used for sliding barn doors where there's an upside down J shaped piece of metal you lift and hook into place? I can't find one with any googling.

I usually see them in hotels.

Edit: gently caress, i finally found it.

"Sliding Door Loop Lock"
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Sliding-Door-Loop-Lock-2-1-8-in-Hardened-Steel-Bar-w-Diecast-Base-Chrome-Plated-U-9847/100168244

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Here is your reminder that you should clean off your AC condenser fins every once in a while.

This is only a year or twos worth of build up on mine.

and after cleaning with the hose

Ideally you pull the fan off and rinse from the inside out but my lovely Goodman makes that really difficult so I don't do it every time.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 9, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Do you live next to a dust factory

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Based on the pine straw I'm thinking cottonwood trees or similar.

Mine get nasty in a year or so also, but not "they've woven a carpet over themselvs" kinda nasty.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

brugroffil posted:

Do you live next to a dust factory

Motronic posted:

Based on the pine straw I'm thinking cottonwood trees or similar.

Mine get nasty in a year or so also, but not "they've woven a carpet over themselvs" kinda nasty.

I've got tons of trees around so it's got to be something from them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I just had to blow out my entire condensate line and clean the coils so I guess I'll do that next.

"Hey roomie, stand out here and tell me if anything comes out of the condensate line."

"It looked like someone sneezed but when they sneezed poop came out".

"Perfect, if disturbing."

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Deviant posted:

I just had to blow out my entire condensate line and clean the coils so I guess I'll do that next.

"Hey roomie, stand out here and tell me if anything comes out of the condensate line."

"It looked like someone sneezed but when they sneezed poop came out".

"Perfect, if disturbing."

My condensate line got plugged up and nearly caused some water damage. My wife said what came out of the line was disturbing. Like a mixture of slime, cat puke, half digested oat meal.... It was bad.

I should clean it more often than every other year.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MetaJew posted:

My condensate line got plugged up and nearly caused some water damage. My wife said what came out of the line was disturbing. Like a mixture of slime, cat puke, half digested oat meal.... It was bad.

I should clean it more often than every other year.

I use this stuff, definitely keeps me from having to break out the hot water and plumbing snake.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003N5AS60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ND8VB14BRXC3W81Y20E5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

(And I live in a subtropical hellworld with the AC running 11.25 months a year.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SpartanIvy posted:

Here is your reminder that you should clean off your AC condenser fins every once in a while.

This is only a year or twos worth of build up on mine.

and after cleaning with the hose

Ideally you pull the fan off and rinse from the inside out but my lovely Goodman makes that really difficult so I don't do it every time.

Oh god I did this a few years ago with my Goodman. First off, the fan motor is hard-wired to the case (there's a junction box at the bottom - next time, I'm cutting the wires & installing a Jones plug, because hanging that thing from the window with a homemade 10-gauge hanger was no bueno).

After that, you have to remove the case, which is made up of four panels held to each other with 1,000 sheetmetal screws. So you have to lay down in the shrubbery & be exsanguinated by the Jersey Air Force while removing & replacing.

I combed mine out with a fingernail brush - the fins were not bent. No high-pressure air or water.

After all that there was no appreciable increase in efficiency or cooling. :/

I checked it this year & it has some crud, but not enough to go through that poo poo again.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PainterofCrap posted:

Oh god I did this a few years ago with my Goodman. First off, the fan motor is hard-wired to the case (there's a junction box at the bottom - next time, I'm cutting the wires & installing a Jones plug, because hanging that thing from the window with a homemade 10-gauge hanger was no bueno).

After that, you have to remove the case, which is made up of four panels held to each other with 1,000 sheetmetal screws. So you have to lay down in the shrubbery & be exsanguinated by the Jersey Air Force while removing & replacing.

I combed mine out with a fingernail brush - the fins were not bent. No high-pressure air or water.

After all that there was no appreciable increase in efficiency or cooling. :/

I checked it this year & it has some crud, but not enough to go through that poo poo again.

Yeah the Goodman's have a poo poo design. You have to pop the wires off the capacitor to take the fan completely off. I've seen on other units that they have a flexible conduit so you can just kind of bent it out of the way and work around it it.

I doubt I'll see any efficiency gain but keeping it clean should keep it running longer. With all the gunk in the fins the fan has to work harder and it wears it out faster from what I've read. Who knows though. It only takes an hour or so once a year so It's not a huge chore, and you can get pretty fast at getting those panels on and off with an impact driver!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Exsanguinated by the Jersey Air Force? Skeeters?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Yeah the Goodman's have a poo poo design. You have to pop the wires off the capacitor to take the fan completely off. I've seen on other units that they have a flexible conduit so you can just kind of bent it out of the way and work around it it.

I've had my hands in two different heat pumps (never actually touched the Goodman I had installed at the old house) and both of them effectively had the fan hardwired to where you'd have to disconnect it from the terminals on the contactor / control board / capacitor to not have the whole top hanging from wires not really meant to handle it.

Of course, neither one was even remotely this filthy - the only parts of either that had this kind of buildup were the edges of the coils where they were in direct contact with sheetmetal. The bulk of the coil was effectively clean, even on the Lennox at my old house that had gone at least 13 years without anyone so much as hosing it off.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I just take the top cover off and reach down past the fan to blast the crud off from the inside out. Using a foaming cleaner and a garden hose. Takes 20 minutes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Inner Light posted:

Exsanguinated by the Jersey Air Force? Skeeters?

Yes. Now featuring tiger mosquitoes, which are somehow slightly worse than the standard Culex erraticus and the three other species now draining mammals in your hometown.

It's one of the reasons I worship every spider I can find, and the bats. I pray for genetic elimination of these particular species. The remaining 61-species that infest New Jersey are harmless to humans, so there would be no impact on those that feed on mosquitoes.

/end rant

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 10, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PainterofCrap posted:

Yes. Now featuring tiger mosquitoes, which are somehow slightly worse than the standard Culex erraticus and the three other species now draining mammals in your hometown.

It's one of the reasons I worship every spider I can find, and the bats. I pray for genetic elimination of these particular species. The remaining 61-species that infest New Jersey are harmless to humans, so there would be no impact on those that feed on mosquitoes.

/end rant

Yeah tiger mosquitoes are vile little bastards. More aggressive than the native ones and also active all day.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

armorer posted:

Yeah tiger mosquitoes are vile little bastards. More aggressive than the native ones and also active all day.

are these what have been biting me all day every day this summer? Mosquitoes have been wicked this year.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just bought a new place and want to put some legitimate effort into decorating the place and color coordinating it. Any good recommendations for where I should start?

The walls are a nice neutral grey so I'll likely be trying to avoid painting, rather decorating it through rugs, furniture, etc. I have some furniture from my old place but that will mostly be going to bedrooms and the basement so I have a lot of room to get exactly what I need for the space

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spent a little time last night on EasyClosets using their online tool to design a sweet looking closet space for our master bedroom, with a built-in dresser and tons of shelf space. From that point they would just be shipping the materials to me

Are these kinds of places generally considered overpriced for what they provide, or no? It's obviously more expensive than just buying cheap wire shelves from Lowes but I want my closet to look nice. I may try ClosetMaid's tool to compare

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

slave to my cravings posted:

are these what have been biting me all day every day this summer? Mosquitoes have been wicked this year.

Especially below the knees. They are rapacious little fucks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

w00tmonger posted:

Just bought a new place and want to put some legitimate effort into decorating the place and color coordinating it. Any good recommendations for where I should start?

The walls are a nice neutral grey so I'll likely be trying to avoid painting, rather decorating it through rugs, furniture, etc. I have some furniture from my old place but that will mostly be going to bedrooms and the basement so I have a lot of room to get exactly what I need for the space
One approach I've seen is to go to websites and clip pictures you like. Not pictures of rooms, just pictures. Assemble a bunch of them, then notice which color schemes predominate: did you pick a lot of yellow with white accents? A lot of jewel tones? A lot of black? Now you know something about yourself. Then approach the house a room at a time, starting with the rooms you spend most awake time in. If you have friends over a lot how can you possibly be a goon consider doing the kitchen or living room first.

Let's assume you started with the living/eating room. Look at the furniture you already have and see if there's any of it you like. If you found a really comfortable chair on the curb, is it worth reupholstering? My own opinion is that in many cases, depending on your budget, you'll be better off buying a decades-old couch/sofa and reupholstering it than you would be buying something new at the same price. We have an armchair of my grandfather's (born early 20th century) that has been through three reupholsterings with us and is still going strong. A good couch/chair can adapt to your style over and over again. Make sure it feels comfortable, shake the chair frame and make sure it's solid. It will last longer than whatever you buy from (for instance) Wayfair.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I've been busy in the basement. I made a lifting platform.

2 Sheets of mdf. Which, I found out, are 49" instead of 48". Live and learn. I didn't want to make a ripcut so I just left some extra at the back, which will be covered in rubber flooring.

I taped the mdf together at the joint. Then laid a sheet of prefinished plywood on it and glued it down with a whole tube of liquid nails.

The cat helped out.

I cut rubber gym flooring to size and glued it down with loctite powergrab. That's a urethane adhesive, so it's flexible and will stick to the rubber and wood.

The cat loved this setup.

Both of them did.

All done! You can see the extra 2" strip at the back, haha. I could've made the rip cut, but I don't mind the platform being a couple inches longer.

Wide shot. You can see the scrap of drywall I screwed to the ceiling to make sure it'll still clear when the ceiling is finished.

I can still do the OHP at full extension using this Titan camber bar. I think there's a fraction of an inch of clearance, but hey. It works. And I won't have to cut a box out of the ceiling.

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 10, 2021

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

And I'm finishing the exterior wall. When I moved in I demo'd the basement because the PO had a rat infestation. I cleaned all the rat turds out, and basically just left it. This wall is kind of an odd setup. There's a poured concrete knee wall, then a framed and insulated wall above it. Due to to remodel work by successive PO's, the interior wall is essentially a double wall.

During quarantine I've been working on drywalling and finishing the whole basement. This summer I had the place earthquake proofed, so now I'm good to insulate and drywall this wall.

Framing started. You see the missing stud there? That's because the hydronic hoses intersect where the stud would join. There was no slack in the line. I could have spliced in some more hose, but why introduce more connections behind the wall? I opted to drop that stud down a couple inches and just frame around the hose. They'll clear the ceiling.

Framed around the hoses. I stapled the wiring up after this shot.

Furred out and insulated. The framing around the concrete wall at the bottom is 2x3 instead of 2x4. Because of that and because it's concrete I went with rigid closed cell foam at the bottom. Fiberglass up top.

Drywalling with 12' sheets. You mostly end up with fewer joints, but they are a lot bigger, heavier, and more of a pain in the rear end to move around.

I got a drywall hoist off Craigslist. My wife has named it "Big Red"

Ready for mudding and taping.

If you look at the furring around the window frame you can see how far off plumb the interior framing over the existing wall was. I brought it all to vertical.

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 10, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sous Videodrome posted:

Wide shot. You can see the scrap of drywall I screwed to the ceiling to make sure it'll still clear when the ceiling is finished.

Sous Videodrome posted:

And I'm finishing the exterior wall.

If you look at the furring around the window frame you can see how far off plumb the interior framing over the existing wall was. I brought it all to vertical.
Hell yes to all of this

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Sous Videodrome posted:

2 Sheets of mdf. Which, I found out, are 49" instead of 48". Live and learn. I didn't want to make a ripcut so I just left some extra at the back, which will be covered in rubber flooring.

I taped the mdf together at the joint. Then laid a sheet of prefinished plywood on it and glued it down with a whole tube of liquid nails.

The cat helped out.

I cut rubber gym flooring to size and glued it down with loctite powergrab. That's a urethane adhesive, so it's flexible and will stick to the rubber and wood.

The cat loved this setup.

Both of them did.

All done! You can see the extra 2" strip at the back, haha. I could've made the rip cut, but I don't mind the platform being a couple inches longer.

I can still do the OHP at full extension using this Titan camber bar. I think there's a fraction of an inch of clearance, but hey. It works. And I won't have to cut a box out of the ceiling.

Great work my dude. I hope this doesn't happen to you, but I suspect that mdf is going to turn to mush within a year in contact with the concrete floor. You might try to mitigate it by putting some 3 mil plastic under it then trimming to size.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I have a non-working fireplace that looks like this

I want to add some peel and stick mexican tile that looks like this

The problem is that the hearth is 10" deep on the left but only 9" on the right. Do you guys think it would look better with 5" tiles or 4" or another size? Or do I need to get some solid edge tiles to make it not look weird?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tell me where you found those tiles, please!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

QuarkJets posted:

Spent a little time last night on EasyClosets using their online tool to design a sweet looking closet space for our master bedroom, with a built-in dresser and tons of shelf space. From that point they would just be shipping the materials to me

Are these kinds of places generally considered overpriced for what they provide, or no? It's obviously more expensive than just buying cheap wire shelves from Lowes but I want my closet to look nice. I may try ClosetMaid's tool to compare

We did EasyClosets for a couple closets in our house, and would happily do them again. They look nice, the drawers/hardware are pretty solid, definitely good for the price I think. Way cheaper than the local custom closet places. I have had cabinet/shelf units made completely to my spec that are nicer than the EasyClosets stuff, but for the price and ease of installation, I would totally do easyclosets again for every closet in my house when the time comes.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tell me where you found those tiles, please!

They're from here

https://www.etsy.com/listing/568122772/sticker-set-mexican-tile-tile-stickers

Here's a quick mockup

5"

4"

I'm leaning towards 4". I think the two full rows looks better.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ROJO posted:

We did EasyClosets for a couple closets in our house, and would happily do them again. They look nice, the drawers/hardware are pretty solid, definitely good for the price I think. Way cheaper than the local custom closet places. I have had cabinet/shelf units made completely to my spec that are nicer than the EasyClosets stuff, but for the price and ease of installation, I would totally do easyclosets again for every closet in my house when the time comes.

I went googline around and it seemed like EasyClosets is high-value for what you get, better-made than the Ikea system or all-in-one things you get from big box stores but not as expensive as some boutique retailer. ClosetMaid has an alright digital designer but very few options and fixed sizes, whereas EasyClosets has a lot of customization options. They have 15% off right now so we've placed an order for the massive reach-in closet in our master bedroom

At a previous house we had installed a cheap wire shelving system, which was fine and all. But while we were shopping for houses over the previous ~6 months I saw some really nice-looking closets and I think I'm just about sworn off of the wire shelves now. Our current closet is a single long wire shelf and a single long hanging bar so we're getting a done of shelves and drawers to make the space more useful and also pretty

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
This is an extremely long shot but figured it's worth a try considering the alternative: does anyone here happen to have a Zephyr Titan hood? I know a couple folks have Zephyrs, but we're having trouble with a fault on this one in particular and Zephyr can't troubleshoot and just want to send us a new one; normally that would be great, except with backorders it'll be a while anyways, and now I'd have to pay someone to remove our hood and install the new one. I can't believe we're the only people who own this and thus have this problem but while I try and self-troubleshoot now and decipher wiring diagrams I figured there might be a chance to compare to someone whose system is working.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I have Zephyr hood but it's the ZVE, not the Titan. What's wrong with it? There's not that much in 'em, is there? Motor, speed controller, lights, control panel. It seems like it'd be possible to track down a faulty part.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Sous Videodrome posted:

I have Zephyr hood but it's the ZVE, not the Titan. What's wrong with it? There's not that much in 'em, is there? Motor, speed controller, lights, control panel. It seems like it'd be possible to track down a faulty part.

That's my hope, it's just the motor/fan, control board, and power cables as far as I can see. It gives us a fault code (but still works) that Zephyr says means the two fan control cables for a two fan setup are plugged in, and one needs to be unplugged since we don't have a second fan. If you unplug that second cable (or the first) nothing powers on. I think they're wrong because this is how it's shipped and it seems odd that my install would require me to open it up and disassemble the factory connections but whatever. They sent out two local subcontracted tech companies, but they didn't troubleshoot anything; they just verified that yes, unplugging that cable does actually cut all power and also tried again with a new control board. That only leaves one other board so issue has to be there but I'm not well versed in electrical diagrams to see if everything is right.

I figured I'd someone else had one I would know if they also had to go unplug a control board out of the box, and what their wire runs look like since I have a hanging cable they doesn't connect to anything right now.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 15, 2021

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

PageMaster posted:

That's my hope, it's just the motor/fan, control board, and power cables as far as I can see. It gives us a fault code (but still works) that Zephyr says means the two fan control cables for a two fan setup are plugged in, and one needs to be unplugged since we don't have a second fan. If you unplug that second cable (or the first) nothing powers on. I think they're wrong because this is how it's shipped and it seems odd that my install would require me to open it up and disassemble the factory connections but whatever. They sent out two local subcontracted tech companies, but they didn't troubleshoot anything; they just verified that yes, unplugging that cable does actually cut all power and also tried again with a new control board. That only leaves one other board so issue has to be there but I'm not well versed in electrical diagrams to see if everything is right.

I figured I'd someone else had one I would know if they also had to go unplug a control board out of the box, and what their wire runs look like since I have a hanging cable they doesn't connect to anything right now.

There's a wiring thread that might be able to help you out with the diagram/how to test components if you try there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3090739&perpage=40&pagenumber=398#pti15

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I’m redoing my small bathroom, the second one in my house. I learned a lot from my little mistakes on my first one and this one is going a lot faster and smoother. I’ve had no issues reframing the shower stall, hanging cement board, tiling, grouting, etc.

But HOLY poo poo silicone caulk is just the worst stuff in the world to work with and I’m convinced that I won’t ever be able to apply it without also using an entire roll of paper towels.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

But HOLY poo poo silicone caulk is just the worst stuff in the world to work with and I’m convinced that I won’t ever be able to apply it without also using an entire roll of paper towels.

Sounds about right. Caulk can be a bitch to work with. I usually make the smallest opening in the tube possible, then slowly build.

I also bought a bunch of syringes from Amazon and those work great for detail caulk work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RSTQ6RV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 16, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been on-and-off restoring a vintage Chambers stove for almost the last 2 years and finally got it moved into the kitchen today and setup. It rules and I have to brag. Unfortunately I'm too tired from moving it and getting it setup to actually cook anything on it tonight. :irony:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good goddamn that's a thing of beauty

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I've been on-and-off restoring a vintage Chambers stove for almost the last 2 years and finally got it moved into the kitchen today and setup. It rules and I have to brag. Unfortunately I'm too tired from moving it and getting it setup to actually cook anything on it tonight. :irony:

Hot drat does that look nice. Good job!

Somebody bought the Chambers name and logo and they're selling refrigerators with that same logo now. We have one and we freakin' love it. It looks like this: