Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Tbf the concept of having ghosts that live in your head allowing you to inject firagas into your balls to make you stronger is pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

That was what made FFXV unique. The gods are cool, actually. Just a straight-up Chosen Hero of the gods saving the world.

Nah, Bahamut is a shithead which is canon since the Ardyn DLC came out even if you ignore the side material.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of my favorite parts of 8 is when things are going to poo poo on the space station with Rinoa releasing Adel (who thought it was a good idea to take her lmao) and you can just casually challenge someone to TT while they panic.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like how levelling in VIII is more "realistic" in that it doesn't make you exponentially more powerful, but that it's almost entirely the junction system that's turning you into a JRPG character. And then everyone realizes it's giving them brain damage but they just go "oh well" and keep using it because they don't really have an alternative.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

I like how levelling in VIII is more "realistic" in that it doesn't make you exponentially more powerful, but that it's almost entirely the junction system that's turning you into a JRPG character. And then everyone realizes it's giving them brain damage but they just go "oh well" and keep using it because they don't really have an alternative.

I do appreciate that if you were to remove all your junctions that Galbadian soldiers have better stats than the party. Thats because they're actual soldiers and SeeD is just teenagers with spirits in their head.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SettingSun posted:

One of my favorite parts of 8 is when things are going to poo poo on the space station with Rinoa releasing Adel (who thought it was a good idea to take her lmao) and you can just casually challenge someone to TT while they panic.

triple triad ftw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Being able to challenge anyone to a game of TT no matter what was happening is like the best part of 8.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Being able to challenge anyone to a game of TT no matter what was happening is like the best part of 8.

That's because 8's a TCG with jrpg side quests.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, Bahamut is a shithead which is canon since the Ardyn DLC came out even if you ignore the side material.

I mean even if you ignore the DLC, the gods are just assholes in general if your name is Ardyn Izunia. Dude did everything in his power to stop the starscourge, and the gods just went "oh yeah, uh, thanks for that, but you're icky now, gently caress off."

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Final Fantasy VIII is a goofy confusing farce you can't take seriously on purpose, while XIII is a goofy confusing farce you can't take seriously on accident

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Final Fantasy VIII Remake will have Squall challenge someone to Triple Triad only to be asked "That old game? I don't think anybody's played it in decades. Are you sure you didn't mean Tetra Master?"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Asterite34 posted:

Final Fantasy VIII is a goofy confusing farce you can't take seriously on purpose, while XIII is a goofy confusing farce you can't take seriously on accident

With VIII I could see everyone involved laughing and trying to one-up each other with ridiculous ideas, whereas XIII feels like someone trying to tell a very serious story who isn’t very good at it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think you guys are giving VIII too much credit if you think its story is intentionally nonsensical. It's an odd story with a lot of... unusual ideas, told terribly.

So essentially, just like XIII. Except it's not all-serious, all-the-time, and is less numbingly linear and repetitive, and so it's more fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

8's story is told with a completely straight face which makes its absurdity 10 times better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, again, 8's end goal makes sense. Stop the bad person by stopping them. FFXIII never hits this low bar.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also, again, 8's end goal makes sense. Stop the bad person by stopping them. FFXIII never hits this low bar.

Well, the end goal at the end of VIII was:
Step 1: Help the villain succeed in her plan to absorb all of time
Step 2: Hope that Love & Friendship will undo enabling 1.

Not to defend XIII's ending because it is absolute poo poo and the worst part of XIII. I'll never forget back in the day people said XIII gets "better" when you get to Gran Pulse. Lies and deception. FFXIII was at its peak before Pulse and everything from Pulse on is bad.

Now, Eden Under Siege has great music and a wonderfully frantic, desperate atmosphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Y39gMpmI8

but that doesn't make up for how nothing makes sense in the last 3 chapters.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hogama posted:

Final Fantasy VIII Remake will have Squall challenge someone to Triple Triad only to be asked "That old game? I don't think anybody's played it in decades. Are you sure you didn't mean Tetra Master?"

Tetra Master isn't bad, it's just poorly explained, which is ironic considering the game has like 5 separate tutorials devoted to it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its been ages since I played FFVIII to the end but my memory of it was you go to kill Ultemecia with the plan that, ok Rhinoa can absorb her sorceressness and this will fix it and then in the final battle Ultemecia loses and goes "I won't do what you tell me, I'm gonna break time more!!!!" and then that setups the weird closed loop the game swims around in and the whole "remember the time period you are from" is because killing Ultemecia breaks Time Kompression so everything is trying to go back to its proper point in time.

This is, now that I've typed it out, probably 100% wrong.

Fuschia tude posted:

Tetra Master isn't bad, it's just poorly explained, which is ironic considering the game has like 5 separate tutorials devoted to it

Poorly explained implies it is fully explained, which it absolutely isn't on purpose and alludes to the fact its not fully explained in game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

HD DAD posted:

Tbf the concept of having ghosts that live in your head allowing you to inject firagas into your balls to make you stronger is pretty neat

Firaga is stored in the balls.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Barudak posted:

Poorly explained implies it is fully explained, which it absolutely isn't on purpose and alludes to the fact its not fully explained in game.

however, if you go to playonline...

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Barudak posted:

Poorly explained implies it is fully explained, which it absolutely isn't

That is part of the poor explanation, yes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fuschia tude posted:

Tetra Master isn't bad

Yes it is

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

Tetra Master isn't bad

:mods:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wasn't the whole "Let Ultimecia Kompress time" plan Laguna's idea? Complete with "you can survive kompression as long as you all love and cherish your friendships!"

Cause it being a really stupid plan that just sorta hopes it'll work out is a very Laguna thing.

Fuschia tude posted:

Tetra Master isn't bad.

Please leave.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tetra Master blows, if I wanted a deliberately obtuse jank game I’d just play a SaGa game and be spared the part where the game just decides I don’t win when because it’s luck-based.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Schwartzcough posted:

I still subscribe to this gas-leak in the developer's room theory:
https://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff08

This guy's retrospectives were a blast to read, thank you for reminding me that they exist. :allears:

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
If anyone is still having trouble with the Strangers of Paradise demo, I discovered Swordfighter’s broken-rear end Intercept ability and combined with White Mage Haste just kinda ended up clowning on the bosses. Before that I died about 40 times to the Elementals boss.

Free auto block and parry is
amazing, not to mention if you soul shield during it you get auto counters as well. It lasts so drat long for only 1 MP bar. You can basically activate it and get up in their face gaining tons of MP to activate Lightbringer, refresh Intercept, and continue wailing on enemies. Really fun but maybe they should tone the duration of the buff down a bit.

After that I sailed through the first mission on Hard. Really looking forward to the full game, just hope they clean up the graphics/frame rate issues, but I have faith in Team Ninja.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I wonder if Tetra Master is more fun if you go into it with the expectation that it's an RPG rather than a card game.

It blew basically all its potential by presenting itself as a follow up to Triple Triad, which had a well-defined and explained ruleset. TM fucks it up double by having a ruleset that isn't explained in-game and is actually an RNG-filled mess when you do understand it.

It's especially silly because TT seems to be a mundane, every day card game that can inexplicably produce relics of unimaginable power, but TM is a magical card game with shifting, evolving cards that are completely worthless and inconsequential to the rest of the game.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I always loved the idea of playing this world spanning card hobby, and then getting into a game and playing cards with yours and yours friends faces on them.

“Uhhh yeah so what it’s a card of me? Big deal. Yeah it has a 9A corner, but look it’s get a 5 it’s not that overpowered!!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tetra master isnt fun to play because its nonsense the rules might look simple at first but when you actually try to play it you learn that every card has some kind of value to it that is barely explained and not even the people who have datamined final fantasy 9 can figure out what the deal is. you also don't get anything out of tetra master for playing it with the exception of rebirth ring for winning the tournament

triple triad is a simple game with simple rules and as long as you keep the lovely rules like random from spreading it stays fun. the tangible in-game rewards also reward you for playing the game and collecting cards

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 11, 2021

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Boy of Joy posted:

If anyone is still having trouble with the Strangers of Paradise demo, I discovered Swordfighter’s broken-rear end Intercept ability and combined with White Mage Haste just kinda ended up clowning on the bosses. Before that I died about 40 times to the Elementals boss.

Free auto block and parry is
amazing, not to mention if you soul shield during it you get auto counters as well. It lasts so drat long for only 1 MP bar. You can basically activate it and get up in their face gaining tons of MP to activate Lightbringer, refresh Intercept, and continue wailing on enemies. Really fun but maybe they should tone the duration of the buff down a bit.

After that I sailed through the first mission on Hard. Really looking forward to the full game, just hope they clean up the graphics/frame rate issues, but I have faith in Team Ninja.

This game is really making me come to terms with the fact that now I'm an Old. It's a Final Fantasy game, so of course I want to play it, but I just can't do action games anymore. I keep getting my rear end handed to me over and over again by regular mobs, and after an embarrassingly long time on the first boss, I discovered I could just cheese his second phase by staying the gently caress away and letting the other two beat him down. Now I'm in the second area and any mixed mob encounter just chain beats me to death, and I don't have the free time anymore to git gud. Maybe when the full release is out I'll give it another go.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would have been better if there was more fishing games instead of cards with nonsense rules.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

Ultimecia sucks but I like Seifer a lot and for minor goons you had Fujin, Raijin, Biggs, and Wedge. What did XIII have? Jihl who is painfully generic and you never even fight her until a XIII-2 DLC.

Barthandelus had a lot of potential, and he has one of the best moments in the entire game, but he's a prime victim of XIII's storytelling. Nobody gets any focus (pun unintended) except the protagonists. Absolutely nobody.

There's uh, Yaag Roche I guess? I don't blame anyone for forgetting about him though. All the times he's in combat, he's in a weird/not-impressive robot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My favorite XIII character was Lightning’s mustachioed former boss.

Also Rygdea was cool. Everyone forgets that guy.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The only reason I remember Yaag was because he died literally twice on screen and SE just left both versions in the game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
seifer is an rear end in a top hat the entire game and never apologizes or learns from his actions and it owns

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 11, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Asterite34 posted:

Square absolutely meant for FF8 to be taken seriously when they made the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember how Quistis rightfully calls Rinoa a clueless dipshit wannabe revolutionary to her face then feels bad about it so she abandons her mission critical time sensitive post to traverse what's one of the worst sewer levels in jrpg history just to apologize to her?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

Remember how Quistis rightfully calls Rinoa a clueless dipshit wannabe revolutionary to her face then feels bad about it so she abandons her mission critical time sensitive post to traverse what's one of the worst sewer levels in jrpg history just to apologize to her?

lmao not until just now i didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Calaveron posted:

this is why teenagers make bad soldiers imo