Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Based on the prompt, mayo and some green dye. Given the restaurant's gimmick, I'd guess sorrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Green Marzipan

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you want to see a cool “food of x country made entirely with ingredients of y country” concept check out the first ever 100% German bowl of ramen:

https://youtu.be/GMr8Ra6Baiw

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

London has local avocados. :colbert:

Not available commercially, to be fair.

avocados are a new world fruit.

Also ignore that corn, potatos, tomatos, chili, and a ton of other things are too.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hedrigall posted:

If you want to see a cool “food of x country made entirely with ingredients of y country” concept check out the first ever 100% German bowl of ramen:

https://youtu.be/GMr8Ra6Baiw
I do always enjoy correctly guessing the youtuber from context.

Andong's a good youtuber, this is probably his best work

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why do europeans think a tortilla is just flatbread

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
It reminds me of that fascist lady who was dating a manly alpha proud boy (who she financially supported by talking about how women should be barefoot and pregnant for the master race) who refused to eat anything that wasn't Aryan in origin. Someone told him about how Ketchup was from Indonesia and he decided to make it a cheat meal, since pretty much all he eats are steak and french fries.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

but potatoes are from south america?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OnlyBans posted:

It reminds me of that fascist lady who was dating a manly alpha proud boy (who she financially supported by talking about how women should be barefoot and pregnant for the master race) who refused to eat anything that wasn't Aryan in origin. Someone told him about how Ketchup was from Indonesia and he decided to make it a cheat meal, since pretty much all he eats are steak and french fries.

Seems like good content for the thread. Can you find it again?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mak0rz posted:

Seems like good content for the thread. Can you find it again?

It was Lauren Southern.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Where is your sister in all this?

Showering more than I do.

EDIT: I'll have to ask her if she put her hair up, pretended to put her hair up, or left her hair down.

hooman has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Oct 11, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From memory that was Lauren Southern if it helps find it.

E: and that’s how I found out I hadn’t refreshed the page.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

OnlyBans posted:

To follow this guy's logic, why wouldn't he eat everything? If you spend your life justifying colonialism I think you can make the case that food from other cultures is the spoils of war or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

grittyreboot posted:

To follow this guy's logic, why wouldn't he eat everything? If you spend your life justifying colonialism I think you can make the case that food from other cultures is the spoils of war or something.

Just ask England, who conquered half the world for spices and then decided they didn't want any.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhazonLink posted:

avocados are a new world fruit.

Also ignore that corn, potatos, tomatos, chili, and a ton of other things are too.

I would say that “no one cares about where the species is native to” because the local food movement is ostensibly supporting local agriculture and minimizing “food miles”.

But there are also a bunch of people with pseudoscientific ideas about eating the “same” food their ancestors did, and it’s possible that the restaurant is catering to them.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just ask England, who conquered half the world for spices and then decided they didn't want any.

Funny enough, one of the reasons the English don't like flavor is because spices were very popular. Basically the lower classes loved it and aristocrats started refusing it to set themselves apart. Their argument was that their food was so high quality it doesn't need spices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

grittyreboot posted:

Funny enough, one of the reasons the English don't like flavor is because spices were very popular. Basically the lower classes loved it and aristocrats started refusing it to set themselves apart. Their argument was that their food was so high quality it doesn't need spices.

An entire country run by the people who refuse to eat anything but chips and nuggies. At least they used to have the excuse they could just hire chefs from France.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

grittyreboot posted:

That sounds interesting. Do you happen to know of an article or something that describes it in more detail?

I'm wondering about what common people made with the spices.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

grittyreboot posted:

It makes more sense if you think of it as just ordinary manchild picky eating disguised as political grandstanding to save face.

Anyway, these were retweeted by @dril

https://twitter.com/Usmani21st/status/1101100836149706752

https://twitter.com/Usmani21st/status/1127533181756944384

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Goon Boots posted:

That sounds interesting. Do you happen to know of an article or something that describes it in more detail?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/03/26/394339284/how-snobbery-helped-take-the-spice-out-of-european-cooking

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Goon Boots posted:

If you look up traditional cookbooks you'll see plenty of spices being used in them. Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice are all very common along with a load of herbs. The spice trade was such a big deal because people in the UK and Northern Europe were buying them in large quantities. Sausages, pickles etc all make a lot of use of those spices.

In more recent time, chicken Tikka Masala is a peculiarly British dish.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why do europeans think a tortilla is just flatbread

Because we’re wacky and crazy and also dumb, just utter maroons

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Oh good another derail where the land of the cheese in a can talks out of its arse about what British food is.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

You guys put corn on pizza

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The thing is, America has so many more people than the UK that we only need like 20% of people to have decent taste in food and we have more people with decent taste in food than there are people in the UK. And it's not like it's the people that eat cheese in a can making these comments.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beartaco posted:

So what's the stuff that looks like avocado then? Melon?
5 wilted leaves of cabbage

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh good another derail where the land of the cheese in a can talks out of its arse about what British food is.

The French can gently caress off talking about British food.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Mega Comrade posted:

I am all in favour of the inventors of cheese in a can.

Particularly this cheese in a can.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

You guys put corn on pizza

Isn't this a Japanese thing?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
thai pizza is the best pizza

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, as psycho as there new point is, them not removing that original comment is... Hmm, I want to say admirable? Not sure if that is the best adjective. But them not deleting it is better than them trying to hide the fact that they ever made a comment in the past.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samovar posted:

Well, as psycho as there new point is, them not removing that original comment is... Hmm, I want to say admirable? Not sure if that is the best adjective. But them not deleting it is better than them trying to hide the fact that they ever made a comment in the past.

Check the date. They “evolved” over the course of three months.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dewgy posted:

September 7 was 1 month ago

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bismuth posted:

September 7 was 1 month ago
Unless the last reply is from the future they're using a sensible date format.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Who cares? They changed their mind. Unless you have a minimum period of self reflection required to change your mind I don't get what the issue is.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Splicer posted:

Unless the last reply is from the future they're using a sensible date format.

oh they're not using freedom units, gross

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aramoro posted:

Who cares? They changed their mind. Unless you have a minimum period of self reflection required to change your mind I don't get what the issue is.

I don’t know what the minimum period I’d expect for some random internet weirdo to stop being stupid is, but I know it’s a hell of a lot more than three months.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’d think there’d be some transition period between using the word freely in one’s own speech and going on unprompted tirades against the word while refusing to type its full name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1446919439107100680

Which one of us is having a stroke? :shepface: