Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Some Barstool dickhead confronted John Cusack, saying he wasn't allowed to cheer for the White Sox, so John Cusack asked him some White Sox trivia and the guy had no idea.

https://twitter.com/barstoolchicago/status/1447351741498990597

https://twitter.com/johncusack/status/1447459426248626176?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Barstool loving sucks

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

#ChangeTheGame

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

camoseven posted:

The games don't start til 1pm eastern today

You're right, I hosed up when looking at my app.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't help that the MLB app adjusts to your time zone but their website displays everything in EST.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Some Barstool dickhead confronted John Cusack, saying he wasn't allowed to cheer for the White Sox, so John Cusack asked him some White Sox trivia and the guy had no idea.

https://twitter.com/barstoolchicago/status/1447351741498990597

im always confused by this genre of video where people just post themselves getting Owned. You get a lot of anti-mask people shooting videos of this in stores too

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

barnold posted:

seeing a bunch of people online saying the Renfroe thing should be ruled a home run no matter what in the future. I'm no rules expert but I don't think a ball that hits the ground in play should be a home run. thanks I'll take my reply off the air

I thought that people just wanted Yandy to be able to score, why would anybody think it's a home run?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't think it's really a big deal and i think it's just a social media thing where every recent event gets outsized importance instead of just accepting that weird rear end things happen in sports sometimes

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
what exactly is "barstool sports"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought that people just wanted Yandy to be able to score, why would anybody think it's a home run?

Not necessarily a homerun but more like if you toss the ball into the stands and have to hope whoever got it gives it back so you can throw it in

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bewbies posted:

what exactly is "barstool sports"

athletics maga

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Some Barstool dickhead

Thanks for starting off with this so I can skip over and continue ignoring anything coming out of barstool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
apropos of nothing the most amazing thing i've seen is a ball going out of play after striking a batter costing New Zealand the last Cricket World Cup which is one of the most unlucky things i've ever seen in sports

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im always confused by this genre of video where people just post themselves getting Owned. You get a lot of anti-mask people shooting videos of this in stores too

The top reply sums it up nicely

https://twitter.com/Pliny_theElder/status/1447375939726462978

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Inspector_666 posted:

no idea but it's easily the funniest of the hot takes I've seen so far this morning. people are just angry and not doing so much brain thinking feels like

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They are so into their bubble where a bunch of college kids worship them online that they have no clue that the world will just point and laugh at them.

I never understood the people who give you poo poo for cheering for both teams in town. Cusack is also supposedly a massive badass.

quote:

Trejo understandably brings with him an intense reputation to any movie he is part of, likely intimidating some of his co-stars, but of all of his collaborators, the one Trejo would least like to take on is Con Air's John Cusack.

"You're not gonna believe this, but, trying to think of his name now. Who was the guy in Con Air ... John Cusack was trained by Benny 'The Jet' [Urquidez]," Trejo confessed. "I watched John Cusack kick a bag, he'll break your ribs, but he's the nicest guy in the world. You would never suspect him, that he could break your jaw, but he is the nicest guy in the world."

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/1447594245163036679

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1447599390697431040

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Hooray I get to go to a playoff game tomorrow

Sorry for your loss

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1447567146461007876?t=xwhx3DQPsLTPHDMzCOAa1A&s=19

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1447599065357770763?t=V8Vu6puV5nRaCvV6RQgy5Q&s=19

Bob does it AGAIN.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

barnold posted:

no idea but it's easily the funniest of the hot takes I've seen so far this morning. people are just angry and not doing so much brain thinking feels like

Jose Canseco effect on multiple levels.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Imagine not having a retractable roof :smuggo:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I get the argument for it being a homerun if like... there was some sort of expectation that the fielder has to get the ball ANYWHERE it lands, even outside the field of play, and return it to the infield. But that's not how baseball works.

I think in an ideal world, the runner would have been allowed to score. To me, that was really the only egregious or absurd aspect to all of this. It was a 3-2 count with 2 outs so the runner was off and running with the pitch and probably halfway to second before the ball left the infield. There's just NO WAY he should have been held up at third and kept from scoring - I mean, if the umpires have the ability to award additional bases at their discretion, that would ABSOLUTELY be the time to do it. If they're not going to award the runner an extra base in that situation, then I truly don't see the point of umpires even having that ability in the first place.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's absolutely insane that it isn't an extra base, the same as throwing it away.

Hopefully this is enough to change the rule.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

thehoodie posted:

Sorry for your loss

son of a bitch. At least it helps the pitching rotation

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pungry posted:

Bob does it AGAIN.
His power is growing. Now he controls the weather!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I'm surprised it's not just an extra base from where folks are like a throw into the dugout would be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The obvious problem seems to be a lack of consideration for time and advancement. Like if a ball rolls around the field and gets kicked into the stands after the bases clear do you just call everyone back because its a double? That seems dumb. A ground rule double that's like a line drive that darts into the stands should be handled differently then one that takes awhile to develop, IMO.

And obviously this sort of thing happens with ground rule doubles all the time and its always kinda bs. But its just elevated by the stakes and circumstances.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I wonder how many mlb parks have a wall low enough for that play to even happen.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

STAC Goat posted:

And obviously this sort of thing happens with ground rule doubles all the time and its always kinda bs. But its just elevated by the stakes and circumstances.

But at least with most ground rule doubles, the ball never touches a player. In last night's case, the ball never would've ended up in the stands had it not hit the outfielder first.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

STAC Goat posted:

The obvious problem seems to be a lack of consideration for time and advancement. Like if a ball rolls around the field and gets kicked into the stands after the bases clear do you just call everyone back because its a double? That seems dumb. A ground rule double that's like a line drive that darts into the stands should be handled differently then one that takes awhile to develop, IMO.

Now I want to know if anyone has rounded second base before their ground rule double went out of play. Seems probably impossible.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Now I want to know if anyone has rounded second base before their ground rule double went out of play. Seems probably impossible.

I guess if there was an extreme shift in the outfield or a two man outfield with one of them coming in to play fifth infielder and there was a popup that hit right on the line and bounced into the stands

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

But at least with most ground rule doubles, the ball never touches a player. In last night's case, the ball never would've ended up in the stands had it not hit the outfielder first.

Exactly, it's loving insane the outfielder is allowed to botch the play and it benefit his team.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, you can imagine a scenario where the defense fumbles the ball around or takes forever to get it. That happens plenty. But the hard part to grasp is the player somehow involuntarily sending it into the stands. The idea that that is part of the blanket ground rule double rules seems odd and simply like something no one actually thought about before yesterday.

Like logically it seems like if the player misplayed it and made physical contact than its an error. And that seems like it should change the ruling.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

does it have to ricochet off a body part or can you try to scoop it off the grass with your glove and whoopsie poopsie just launched it 50 feet into the stands

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

does it have to ricochet off a body part or can you try to scoop it off the grass with your glove and whoopsie poopsie just launched it 50 feet into the stands

The other instance that someone found is kind of like that. Don't think it was on purpose then either, but it's a lot dumber looking. Of course it happened in July and not a drat extra inning playoff game.

https://twitter.com/RedSoxLife/status/1447391426426413057

Just make sure you're a good actor and go hog wild.

The real moral of the story is that if your team is going to benefit from being a clumsy outfielder, it's best to just make obscene throws like Cespedes instead of this bobbling balls over the fence nonsense.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

The other instance that someone found is kind of like that. Don't think it was on purpose then either, but it's a lot dumber looking. Of course it happened in July and not a drat extra inning playoff game.

https://twitter.com/RedSoxLife/status/1447391426426413057

Just make sure you're a good actor and go hog wild.

The real moral of the story is that if your team is going to benefit from being a clumsy outfielder, it's best to just make obscene throws like Cespedes instead of this bobbling balls over the fence nonsense.

Bottom of the 9th, ball hit down the line, no chance to throw the runner from first out before he scores. FLING IT IN THE STANDS

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Bases loaded, 1 out.

Ball off the left fielder into the stands. All runners advanced 2 bases but the batter didn't get a double for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE54ld69x9M

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think weird poo poo can happen in sports without it triggering some kind of existential rules crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Now this is the good stuff

The White Sox pitcher should be forced to personally apologize to the known cheaters for accusing them of cheating again.

https://twitter.com/pgammo/status/1447567596316921860?s=21

Maybe if you get away with cheating to win a World Series and suffer no consequences, you’re just gonna have to deal with people accusing you of cheating from now on? Bit of a “made your bed now lie in it” situation.