Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

have u seen elon talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

have u seen elon talk
The VIPs are more Zuckerberg than Musk. More robots with pre-programmed bad writing than organic true-to-life stupid assholes.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, I'm not bothered that VIPs are portrayed as awkward dipshits talking in cliches. The problem is that it comes off as the show's production failing, rather than a deliberate choice in the characters' writing.

Honestly I saw it as a deliberate characterization, like they were all trying to be bigger big shots than they already are. They don't know who the other VIPs are, so they want to try to impress them by acting snootier, when they're all a bunch of weirdo dorks. Made them look more disgusting and pathetic for how they were acting.

Getting some not-so-great actors actually helped.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, I'm not bothered that VIPs are portrayed as awkward dipshits talking in cliches. The problem is that it comes off as the show's production failing, rather than a deliberate choice in the characters' writing.

Yeah most of those people from companies like hedge funds are pretty much weirdos and morally bankrupt deviants like all the various high net worth individuals in the Epstein / Lolita Express logbooks.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I don’t know how anyone can defend the delivery of the 69 lines lol

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Paperback Writer posted:

I don’t know how anyone can defend the delivery of the 69 lines lol

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

If you've ever seen any K-drama you know that it's a proud tradition for roles like 'American businessman' to be played by absolutely terrible actors. To the point that in some cases I'm convinced they cast the first random white guy they found in the street. My favourite being when Teddy Roosevelt was played by somebody who was very obviously Dutch or German or something.

It's not like there's a wealth of western acting talent available and a Korean audience wouldn't know they are bad actors because it's really hard to pick up on that if you don't speak the language the actor is acting in.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Frankly, I'm entirely unsurprised that Americans seeing our worst as portrayed by artists from another country would entirely miss the irony in crying foul about it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

Frankly, I'm entirely unsurprised that Americans seeing our worst as portrayed by artists from another country would entirely miss the irony in crying foul about it.

At least here one could understand what they were saying, most of the time a Dutch person is depicted they might as well be speaking some other language.

Steve Yun posted:

I’m also confident in saying that Squid Game surpasses Battle Royale as a death game, the episodic format really gives you time to get attached to characters and flesh out their stories, making each loss way more painful. I’m also way more fond of the criticism of capitalism in Squid Game

Good point, so far Squid Game is my favorite as well.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 11, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Battle Royale is a very campy movie and whole fun is hsrfly the best out there. I still remember the end scene where the coach gets shot several times and falls down, just to answer his wife's phone call and go "uuhhhhh" and dies.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Random Integer posted:

It's not like there's a wealth of western acting talent available and a Korean audience wouldn't know they are bad actors because it's really hard to pick up on that if you don't speak the language the actor is acting in.

I think this is why people thought Emelia Clark was good when she was speaking Dothraki, but was just kinda average to bad with the English dialogue. I have a feeling it’s also why a lot of people prefer subs to dubs.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I think the show would’ve been a hit without the production design, the story is just too compelling

I’m also confident in saying that Squid Game surpasses Battle Royale as a death game, the episodic format really gives you time to get attached to characters and flesh out their stories, making each loss way more painful. I’m also way more fond of the criticism of capitalism in Squid Game

I agree that it's better than Battle Royale, but for those who watches BR 2 decades ago when it was fresh especially at that time period, I would say the effect of seeing such a dark and violent scenario for the first time was much more shocking then.

However it's a movie with a bunch of young, bad actors and cheesy Japanese action tropes. In terms of pure quality, it was never that good and should be fairly easy to surpass

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked this show.

I thought, save a few scenes, everything about it was cheesy but I like this kind of cheesy. My main complaint is how long the misery of the main character goes on in the first episode but I understand they have to establish his life is a utter misery for us to have no doubts about the kind of people they get for the squid game so although it felt dragged for me, I was okay with it.

It was predictable in a nice way. My friends and I had different predictions for plot twists and it turned out we were all correct, lol. I wish dude had visited his daughter at the end but eh.

I love the absurdity and sometimes nonsensical nature of the games. I actually enjoyed the show *more* when they were at the most absurd. Like when the guy at the bridge does the math and realizes the odds of pass through are 1 in 32,768 and I'm thinking "yeah shouldn't there be a solid chance every member dies in this game lol" and then when someone figures out the trick, making the game *solvable*, dude just goes and turns off the lights. That kind of poo poo is so nonsensical, like it blurs a line between writing self-awareness merging with characters who are out of their mind, I loving love that poo poo man.

Also the first game gave me an impression 70-80% of the contestants or more had been killed. For some reason watching that genuinely shocking scene where there's a bloodbath and finding out half passed made me go from "holy poo poo this is brutal" to "lmao I love the camp".

Anyway 8/10 I think this is a great show I never intend to rewatch other than a few highlight scenes but it was a great ride. I loved the absurdism of it more than I did Battle Royale movies.

Edit: People barely moving and getting shot at the first game was a highlight too. The motion sensor set to "gently caress you".

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 11, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pandemic-friendly Halloween plans sorted

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Random Integer posted:

yeah that’s exactly what I was saying

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This doesn't hold a candle to Battle Royale imo

I started Alice in Borderland and it's been entertaining to half pay attention to

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7016345554519215365

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The top part of the mask has a ton of filament that’s not stuck together. I’m guessing it was upside down during printing.

Is this something I can gently wave a blowtorch over to get to melt together?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Elentor posted:

I love the absurdity and sometimes nonsensical nature of the games. I actually enjoyed the show *more* when they were at the most absurd. Like when the guy at the bridge does the math and realizes the odds of pass through are 1 in 32,768 and I'm thinking "yeah shouldn't there be a solid chance every member dies in this game lol" and then when someone figures out the trick, making the game *solvable*, dude just goes and turns off the lights. That kind of poo poo is so nonsensical, like it blurs a line between writing self-awareness merging with characters who are out of their mind, I loving love that poo poo man.

Actually, given that everyone can see where the people before them went, each successive player has at least double the chance of the previous one, and the expected number of survivors if everyone just plays normally is just over 7.

If we imagine that all the players collectively decide on a single sequence that they will all follow except where a previous player has fallen, then the number of people who die will be the number of mistakes in that sequence. Given there are 18 panes, the average number of mistakes will be half that, leaving 7 survivors (the actual expected value is slightly higher because 17 or 18 mistakes don't result in a negative value)

With this system, Gi-hun actually had a 99.93% chance of surviving

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Actually, given that everyone can see where the people before them went, each successive player has at least double the chance of the previous one, and the expected number of survivors if everyone just plays normally is just over 7.

If we imagine that all the players collectively decide on a single sequence that they will all follow except where a previous player has fallen, then the number of people who die will be the number of mistakes in that sequence. Given there are 18 panes, the average number of mistakes will be half that, leaving 7 survivors (the actual expected value is slightly higher because 17 or 18 mistakes don't result in a negative value)

With this system, Gi-hun actually had a 99.93% chance of surviving

Why'd you ruin it for my dumb brain : (

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah but there are other considerations like what if everyone wastes time out of fear, then Gihun is at highest risk because he’s last to cross

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Alice in Borderland is amazing. Highly recommend it

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Binged the show yesterday.

I think they went a bit overboard during the first minutes with the main character's negative traits (at least in my case since I was raised alone by my mother who broke her rear end working to make sure I wouldn't lack anything, so seeing him steal her credit card and take money from her bank account and cancel her social security to go bet on horse racing made me really dislike him, specially since he was doing all this while sober and in control of his senses).

Despite everything that happens later I really couldn't grow to sympathise with him and would have much rather preferred that Sae Byok won the games, since she never had a chance whereas the protagonist and Sang Woo had a decent life and wasted it away, but I guess that it would have been harder to work a season 2 that way .

The twist reveal at the ending that the old man created the whole thing because " are bad" felt too anime and didn't really add much to anything while taking away from a touching moment in an earlier episode

Another thing that I found pointless was the whole organ traffic subplot. I guess it was there to give the cop something to do instead of just hiding and snooping around for 9 episodes? If the intention was to show how strict the Front Man was about giving all players a fair chance, then he failed because by that point the whole game was already tainted since a lot of people were able to beat the 2nd and 3rd game due to have prior knowledge of what to expect.

Liked it but not loved it.

Also honest question, can someone realistically be that good at that paper turning game the Salesman was nailing at the beginning or was he somehow cheating because like wtf :psyduck:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
This came up earlier in the thread but there is actually skill to that game, yeah, and presumably the salesman guy is legitimately really good at it. They even televise it and stuff.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

lezard_valeth posted:

Also honest question, can someone realistically be that good at that paper turning game the Salesman was nailing at the beginning or was he somehow cheating because like wtf :psyduck:

I think that's for sure the type of game someone would be able to be really good at. But also maybe he's not supposed to win that many times in a row and Gi-hun is just really bad at gambling games?

As to the rest, the show does a pretty good job of showing there's not actually any good guys involved in the Squid Game, they are all pieces of poo poo in society. Which is why they can all be abducted to go play the game and not a single one's loved one actually calls the authorities to report them missing or anything. (Even the old man who comes off as an odd nice guy in the series turns out to be a piece of poo poo behind it all...[/spoiler)

Maybe you could argue that Sye Bwok and Abdul Ali are not total pieces of poo poo though I guess.

As for the organs, there is for sure a few plot points in the show that just end without having any real meaning to the actual plot of the show. The organs & the cop reveal are both relatively pointless to the actual plot of the show. [spoiler]Even the old man revealing he is behind the games is pretty much pointless to the plot

And even the VIPs, they actually don't add anything to the show. Although I don't mind the bad western acting as it's relatively normal for media across the globe to get how foreigners to their country actually should act...

In total honestly, you could probably turn off and just stop watching the last episode once Gi-hun wins and sees he actually got the money at the end. The rest of it after does absolutely gently caress all to the plot or story of the show.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I liked it. I thought the acting, cinematography, set design, costume, all of that was really top tier. I watched with subs over the course of a few days and felt that was better than binging it.

Wife and I agreed the VIP dialogue was pretty hammy. The only other thing was why the hell did Gi Hun dye his hair red??? Other than that we basically predicted the twists but we’re surprised when they cancelled the game. I thought it gave the universe and audience a little bit of time to breathe and just really get into the mindset of these characters in an organic way. We both think this will likely have True Detective syndrome for season 2 (I.e. first season so good because someone devoted 10 years of their life to it, 2nd season a rush job), but even if that is the case, I’m not too beholden to it where it can’t just be enjoyed as a solid show. Especially a foreign one that hits the same positive vibes we felt for Parasite.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The red hair is suppose to show his inner anger towards the game apparently?

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/squid-game-netflix-ending-director-b1936053.html

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

As for the organs, there is for sure a few plot points in the show that just end without having any real meaning to the actual plot of the show. The organs & the cop reveal are both relatively pointless to the actual plot of the show. Even the old man revealing he is behind the games is pretty much pointless to the plot

I think there is something to the fact that the loan shark in ep1 specifically made Gi-hun sign away the rights to his eyes and kidneys, considering those are the organs being harvested by the guards. I think we are meant to infer that the organ harvesting is tied into the recruiting process; or at least that those guys have ties to the loan sharks pushing people into the game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crazyweasel posted:

The only other thing was why the hell did Gi Hun dye his hair red??

I don't know if this is related but in the novel "Edinburgh" the main character is korean and a major theme is that he has red hair mixed in with his black hair, as does his father, and that there is a lot of superstition about that, like if you find a red hair it means your ancestor was a supernatural being like a witch.

But it's kinda presented as a thing kids will razz you about more than any sort of like, real actual racism. So I wonder if it's a superstition that is the korean version of cooties. Like he is doing the children's game but like a take on "I have become cooties" like a kid would see their mom had a single red hair that grew weird, say "mama, you have red hairs" and then mom would say "rar, it's because I'm a witch and will eat you up!" type thing. Like he's claiming he's not human anymore via a child's game.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

tgacon posted:

I think there is something to the fact that the loan shark in ep1 specifically made Gi-hun sign away the rights to his eyes and kidneys, considering those are the organs being harvested by the guards. I think we are meant to infer that the organ harvesting is tied into the recruiting process; or at least that those guys have ties to the loan sharks pushing people into the game.

My takeaway was that the guards are not just helpless innocent victims forced into being part of the games; some of them also actively exploit what's happening to their benefit in ways that aren't orchestrated by the overseers.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I know a lot of people thought the police officer substory was kind of pointless but I thought it was all part of the shows very blunt and unsubtle critique of capitalism as its mostly concerned with showing that the guards, while have a degree of power relative to the players, are ultimately just as much bound by the system. When they are not working they live in tiny cells, live under constant surveillance, must obey the arbitrary rules of those in power and may be punished or exploited at any point. They are permitted a certain degree of exploitative power over the players so long as they don't interfere with the interests of those in charge. Front Man states that outright. The parallels with the real world, and the gangsters chasing Gi Hun, are pretty clear where those in power are indifferent to crime and corruption are so long as they dont interfere with the interests of capital.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Well that’s kind of weak, nobody got that!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think a lot of the seemingly pointless bits and aborted arcs, particularly in the last episode, were sequel hooks to be fleshed out later. I don't think this needs another season, but it seems almost certain to get one, so.

I did like, how in the last game Gi-hun and Sang-woo pretty much immediately go "gently caress it" and have a straight up knife fight.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm glad I didn't really have to understand the rules of the squid game, because I couldn't follow those at all.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Defenders are inside the squid, offense on the outside. The ultimate goal is for offense to run from the bottom of the squid to the circle at the tip of the triangle, but offense has to hop on one foot. If an attacker can run crossways across the squid (from one circle to the other across the center line) then they get to use both legs when running for the goal. I'm not sure defense has a victory condition other than making offense give up.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
There are boundaries, so you have to knock the offense out of bounds sumo-style.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ymgve posted:

I'm glad I didn't really have to understand the rules of the squid game, because I couldn't follow those at all.

Squid game is a variation on another game, the real game is a set of squares drawn on the ground and people from outside have to run in and through the squares to the end while defenders try and like... block them or beat them up or push them back out. Like red rover basically.

Squid game is a very bloated and overcomplicated version with a bunch of silly rules and modes. Like the rules a literal group of children would make. Like the fact you 'die" instead of get out in one specific case, or that you become "inspectors" for no reason when you do something. The rules are tenuous. Instead of squares it's a bunch of wacky shapes, you hop on one foot, you get titles, you can "die", the rules of flimsy. A child wrote them.

Like the game DOES have rules, but the name of the show might be something like "calvinball" if it was an american show. squid game is a referance to a game with childlike nonsensical rules.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Any similar shows or movies for the survival game genre that people would reccomend?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

etalian posted:

Any similar shows or movies for the survival game genre that people would reccomend?

Circle (2015) is a decent movie, not exactly great but fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
This was pretty good, what's some other K shows I should watch