Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

quote:

To anybody not in the Neopets community y’all are missing the craziest hobby drama™️ right now. Basically tl;dr is that Neopets’ parent company announced that Neopets would be releasing THOUSANDS of NFTs without even telling the actual staff team responsible for the Neopets site. They literally initially state that they think the NFT announcement is a scam. Once it comes into light that it’s not a scam, Neopets users very very loudly protest this and vocally express that they are against this decision, which goes completely ignored. More details pop up and the whole thing starts to look really suspicious: The NFTs are going to be produced and managed via a third party company that just popped up about a month ago. They are affiliated with Neopets’ parent company in nebulous ways that suggest money laundering. They run an official Neopets Metaverse Discord where the word “gay” is autobanned by a bot but the word “human being” gets thrown around (as well as alleged racism and transphobia going unmoderated). When people in the server complain about this one of the mods starts spewing insane NFTbro accusations that the people complaining are just trying to spread anti-NFT propaganda or something. Later, it’s revealed that the NFTs themselves are made using stolen/uncredited assets from a Neopets fan site. This is revealed because they don’t even bother to fix a visual glitch that is unique to that site. They refuse to address this or give credit when it’s pointed out, so they aren‘t just taking assets without acknowledgment but this means they cannot even produce their own drat art for the thing. NFTbros start joining Neopets and hacking/buying old accounts to act like long time players in “support” of NFTs. Actual users start protesting with log-off days, unsubscribing from premium membership, sending anti-NFT art to the art gallery, etc. Sketchy Neopets Metaverse Twitter starts promoing NSFW/18+ NFT projects and posting 4chan-tier NFTbro wojak memes (think “virgin X chad Y” type stuff), totally obliterating the whole “Neopets is a family friendly all-ages game where even writing that your Neopets are married to each other or saying the word cuCUMber can get you banned” thing. Finally, most recently, Neopets Metaverse announces their end goal plans for the Neopets NFT project: An entirely pay-to-play version of the site, where everything you do is powered by cryptocurrency microtransactions. To make matters worse, this announcement reveals that the third party does not know a SINGLE THING about Neopets, and describes “pay to play” features that literally are not a thing on the site, while not mentioning a single aspect of the site that is actually possible. This is alongside the fact that the actual, FREE to play Neopets website is currently almost completely unplayable since they have not converted it since Flash died. This makes it look like Neopets is slowly being switched over to entirely pay-to-play via cryptocurrency microtransactions.

Here are the real kickers:

1. Neopets actually did a cryptocurrency project a few years ago. The project died with a whimper and never saw any end results, leaving a ton of people having sunk their money into something completely worthless.

2. The “NFTs” are literally just randomly generated stock Neopets. With thousands and thousands of pet/color/clothing combinations to choose from, they all inevitably look like absolute poo poo. You cannot dress them up, change their color or species or outfit, or even name or care for them or pick their gender. And given the nature of NFTs, your “ownership” of them at all is nebulous at best. Functionally, you have significantly more ownership of your Neopet by just making a drat account on the website and creating it there for free, where you have full customization abilities and it is attached directly to your account information.

https://thepavi.tumblr.com/post/664700342361063424/to-anybody-not-in-the-neopets-community-yall-are

:prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lets get in on the ground floor

we need some bonzi buddy nfts stat

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Penisface posted:

lets get in on the ground floor

we need some bonzi buddy nfts stat

ponzi buddy

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

gschmidl posted:

ponzi buddy

:buddy:

mystes
May 31, 2006

gschmidl posted:

ponzi buddy

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Neonazipets

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

njsykora posted:

this is a fun one, the british museum selling nfts which feels a lot like they're making as much money as they can before the countries demanding their stuff back get too loud and potentially fighty to ignore
https://twitter.com/NotBrunoAgain/status/1446894543014699009
https://twitter.com/neapel/status/1447167209629962241

owns that they've found a new way to overcharge tourists for worthless tat in the gift shop

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Halloween / Spooky Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: ponzi buddy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

EorayMel posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Halloween / Spooky Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: ponzi buddy

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

gschmidl posted:

ponzi buddy

EorayMel posted:

:yossame:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Adding my confirmation to the laughchain.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

EorayMel posted:

yes please

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EorayMel posted:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

gschmidl posted:

I'm seeing multiple unconfirmed instances of "ponzi buddy" on the postchain so I'll do the crypto thing of claiming I came up with it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

gschmidl posted:

ponzi buddy

:golfclap:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EorayMel posted:

:drat:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

gschmidl posted:

ponzi buddy

:yeshaha:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

here's a fun question about all the nfts using other people's ip or trademarked content: who do the rights holders sue?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gschmidl posted:

ponzi buddy

goddamn that's a perfect thread title.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

gschmidl posted:

ponzi buddy

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Hammerite posted:

Neonazipets

this also is p. good

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
maybe you can reissue that one as "ponzi buddy cash"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
ponzi....from a bud?!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Ponzi Butty(tm)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Weatherman posted:

maybe you can reissue that one as "ponzi buddy cash"

Oh, you mean pbcash?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

gschmidl posted:

Oh, you mean pbcash?

DONT USE THAT WORD IT'S CALLED PONZI-BUDDY-CASH I'M TOO RICH TO BE INSULTED LIKE THIS

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Butt Buddy

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

gschmidl posted:

ponzi buddy

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
ponzi my neopet hole

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Blockchain's finally made it big.

quote:

In a world-first, Jaguar Land Rover has trialled the use of secure blockchain technology to ensure full transparency and complete accuracy within a sustainable supply chain.

I can't believe Jaguar is putting their entire supply chain on the blockchain oh wait it's just for sourcing the leather.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

gschmidl posted:

Blockchain's finally made it big.

I can't believe Jaguar is putting their entire supply chain on the blockchain oh wait it's just for sourcing the leather.

good thing you couldn't believe it. that kind of credulity would be embarrassing

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

we will use bit-coin to guarantee that all our jaguar leather is 100% ethically sourced

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

KnifeWrench posted:

good thing you couldn't believe it. that kind of credulity would be embarrassing

:hmmyes:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Boxturret posted:

we will use bit-coin to guarantee that all our jaguar leather is 100% ethically sourced

by ethically we mean on the ethereum blockchain

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Penisface posted:

by ethically we mean on the ethereum blockchain

this startup was trying to claim just that today. "this is the ethical blockchain!!"

https://twitter.com/usefathom/status/1447969519784251394?s=20

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

please sell me the pixel cats made by the analytics company, internet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

One stormy night (dark-mode was obviously enabled), the cats on Fathom’s website got together to Frankenstein our source code, turning it from website analytikz into the first-ever NFTTIME-INTERWEB-MACHINE!

Their initial stop was the late-90s when everything was ridiculously pixelated (no one knows why...). Here, they ran into other cats in their lineage, the FathomCatz.

ughhhhhhhh

i think i rolled my eyes so hard they came out of my skull

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

they link to polygon's website on how it's more eco-friendly and besides supposedly being proof of stake the big thing i'm noticing is that it's pretty much entirely centralized onto 90 specific AWS instances

thus decentralization proves its usefulness yet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bitcoin Bodice Rippers Are Romance’s Most Sizzling New Subgenre