Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Hey all, COVID SIMULATOR UPDATE

A new version is up, and thanks to all the advice from SA - you can now create your own levels in the level editor!

You must have doors and rooms marked for it to save. If you create impossible rooms (unreachable areas) it will definitely crash your game so don't do that :p

some instructions via gif at https://i.imgur.com/frPyfxF.gif

You can see the update notes at https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator/devlog/302738/v6-is-live-with-a-level-editor

OR

You can download Covid Simulator FREE at https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What a beautiful post to start a page with! This looks amazing.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, recent nonsense told to me is that there was some doctor who treated thousands of patients who had COVID 'at home' with ye old nonsense medication (hydrocloriquin or whatever and ivermectin) and they were all fine; supposedly the idea was he started doing it as soon as they were diagnosed instead of 'they got so sick they had to go to the hospital'' and that made the difference, so don't use the vaccine it's bad. I couldn't find anything via a google search because I didn't have a name, anyone heard of this so I can fact check it and reveal why it's likely yet another pack of well presented lies?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, recent nonsense told to me is that there was some doctor who treated thousands of patients who had COVID 'at home' with ye old nonsense medication (hydrocloriquin or whatever and ivermectin) and they were all fine; supposedly the idea was he started doing it as soon as they were diagnosed instead of 'they got so sick they had to go to the hospital'' and that made the difference, so don't use the vaccine it's bad. I couldn't find anything via a google search because I didn't have a name, anyone heard of this so I can fact check it and reveal why it's likely yet another pack of well presented lies?

The onus is on them to provide that information for you, as you cannot logically prove a negative.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

It's not based on anything specific, it's pure 100% fiction. This doctor is either made-up or blatantly lying.

That said, giving the miracle cures as soon as they're diagnosed rather than waiting for them to show symptoms is a pretty good way to trick rubes into thinking the miracle cures are effective, because the majority of people that are infected with COVID don't get sick enough to need hospitalization in the first place.

If someone took ivermectin and didn't get seriously sick, that doesn't mean the ivermectin actually did anything. There's plenty of people who test positive for COVID, take nothing at all, and still don't get seriously sick. That's why real COVID treatments are evaluated with clinical trials to (among other things) gather data demonstrating that they're more effective than a placebo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are dozens if not hundreds of “doctors” making such claims, some of whom hold current medical licenses.

You’re going to have to be more specific.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cornwind Evil posted:

eh I don't really think it's worth fighting unless you have a close personal relationship with this person or they respect you as some sort of authority

there are several doctors who get cited as "experts" on how they're prescribing ivermectin to miraculous effect

this is the home base: https://covid19criticalcare.com/

If you get anyone citing that site or vaguely pointing to "front line" doctors they are full of poo poo horse paste conspiracy theorists. I don't know what to tell you, it's not a battle you can win.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I would tell them to Google "regression to the mean" but I doubt an argument based on logic will have much sway so instead just

:rubby:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Interesting little roundup of expert opinions on what it means / what it will look like when the pandemic is "over", on Gizmodo.

https://gizmodo.com/when-will-the-covid-19-pandemic-be-over-1847825560

e: adding the quotes

quote:

The uncertainty is really too large to put any kind of specific date on it, although it’s pretty clear that we still have a long way to go. In terms of how it ends—as much as I would love to see us reach “COVID zero”, at this point I would expect we’re headed toward endemic, probably seasonal transmission, where most people have been vaccinated or have some degree of immunity due to previous infection and so infections tend to be less severe. This makes sticking with prevention strategies like masking and getting vaccinated (and expanding global vaccine access!) so important to reducing transmission and strain on healthcare systems, to minimize the toll of deaths and severe outcomes incurred on the way to Covid-19 becoming endemic.

When it comes to criteria, I’d expect the pandemic to be thought of as “over” when cases, hospitalizations, and deaths due to Covid-19 are consistently down to relatively low, manageable levels. In terms of numbers, it will probably vary from country to country, but one might see something similar to what we would normally see from flu, which causes an estimated 12,000-61,000 deaths per year in the US (compared to the 375,000 deaths caused by COVID-19 in the US in 2020, and around 295,000 more so far in 2021).

It’s important to underscore that different places will probably reach the end of the pandemic at different times (based on vaccine access/uptake, social distancing and other mitigation measures, etc.), and that even when the pandemic is “over”, we will still have to grapple with many of its longer term effects—whether that’s Long Covid, mental health impacts, issues of misinformation and mistrust, or economic aftereffects.

quote:

I don’t think we, as a society, have defined what it would mean for the pandemic to be over. Will it be ‘over’ when there are no more cases of Covid-19? Will it be ‘over’ when the levels of hospitalization are such that we no longer worry about overwhelming our healthcare system? Will it be ‘over’ when the number of deaths falls below a certain number? Regardless, I think most people would agree that we are nowhere near the threshold below which Covid-19, the worst public health crisis of our lifetimes, is no longer an urgent concern. I don’t think we’re going to attain that level of stability any time soon. Certainly, it’s not going to happen while young children are still ineligible for the vaccine; nor while, around the world there are many, including the most vulnerable among us, who do not have access to the vaccine. At some point, we will have to reach a new understanding of what it might mean for this pandemic to reach a steady state, where it’s no longer top of mind in every one of our decisions. But we’re nowhere near that point now.

quote:

That pandemic will be over in a global sense when most nations of the world are able to treat Covid-19 like other respiratory viruses they deal with year in and year out. SARS-CoV2 is an efficiently spreading respiratory virus with a wide spectrum of symptoms that circulates in an animal host—it cannot be eliminated or eradicated. The goal is to remove its ability to cause widespread levels of severe disease, hospitalization, and death. This is best achieved by vaccinating those at highest risk for complications so cases are decoupled from hospitalizations but there will always be a baseline level of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations. Natural immunity post-infection also plays a significant role as well but is not the optimal way to tame the virus. The pandemic will eventually transition to a state of endemicity and the post-pandemic world will be one in which Covid-19 still exists but in a much more manageable setting.

quote:

The honest answer is that no one can know for certain, partly because of the unknown future regarding variants that can escape vaccine-induced protection, and partly because it remains unclear when we will get a higher proportion of the world’s population vaccinated. But the future is most likely one in which SARS-CoV-2 regularly circulates in the human population and becomes more of an endemic infection/disease, with perhaps a seasonal pattern a la influenza. I think that scenario won’t be with us for at least another 12-18 months.

quote:

The job of producing enough vaccine, and getting it into everybody’s arms, while outpacing the virus’ ability to mutate—it’s not a quick one. I think it will be at least a year until the pandemic ends, and that’s being extremely optimistic. The inequities involved in vaccine production, and the degree of resistance we’re seeing to vaccination, means it could be a couple of years before this actually concludes.

It’s humbling. In the first place, our knowledge of coronaviruses simply wasn’t as good as it should have been. We did not predict how rapidly this could mutate. Meanwhile, our knowledge of human behavior was, as we’re learning, imperfect. We did not foresee the levels of miscommunication we’d be faced with, nor the lack of scientific literacy. People know that some of the vaccines use mRNA but if you don’t know enough about genetics or the science involved that can just end up being scary rather than reassuring. People start going off onto tangents—“well, what does that do to you?”—without understanding how genetics work. It’s understandable to me that people have those concerns or fears, but this is leading to a tremendous amount of vaccine hesitancy. That is too bad because the science tells us that mRNA doesn’t alter the body’s DNA in any way.

Then of course there’s the problem with developing a vaccine for children, which has turned out to be more daunting than I, as a pediatrician, ever thought it could be. The virus is still circulating among kids, and that’s keeping this pandemic alive, because as long as kids are circulating the virus, we’re going to see more breakthrough infections in the adults around them.

We’ll know this pandemic is over when we’re no longer observing excessive rates of death due to Covid on a daily basis—in the whole world, not just the US. The one thing we know is that this pandemic will not be over as long as Covid is circulating somewhere in the world. That doesn’t mean we have to eliminate every case. What we might end up with is a situation where—through immunity of the population, or mutation, or (more likely) both—the virus ends up being more like the cold or the annual influenza, where we certainly have to pay attention to it, perhaps as a seasonal transmission every winter, and have to vaccinate people every year, but we no longer have these very high rates of mortality.

How are u fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 11, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

If someone took ivermectin and didn't get seriously sick, that doesn't mean the ivermectin actually did anything. There's plenty of people who test positive for COVID, take nothing at all, and still don't get seriously sick. That's why real COVID treatments are evaluated with clinical trials to (among other things) gather data demonstrating that they're more effective than a placebo.

Yup, anecdata can be a major headache when discussing how to treat or otherwise deal with something.

The problem is when you're trying to deal with someone you care about who is already heading down that path. My first question is, "so you think 90%+ of medical doctors understand that ivermectin or HCQ or whatever are cures/preventatives for COVID but aren't giving them?" That can establish pretty quickly what type of conspiracy weirdo you're dealing with. It does, however, boggle my mind at the conspiracy weirdos who come to the conclusion that it's all obfuscated and hyped up so that people get vaccinated (usually because the vaccine supposedly does bad stuff/population control/whatever). In the event there was a major world government trying to get people vaccinated to take them over/sterilize them/do nefarious things to them, why would there be a way out that is simply saying, "no!"? If they were limiting the world's population, why would they allow those who would be harder to control such an easy out? The only conspiracy thing that even makes the remotest sense is that it's intending to leave those more difficult to control behind because the maker was "one of them" and fighting against the one world government, etc., but that would be idiotic because it would require everyone else in the vaccine and medical business to absolutely miss issues with the vaccines.

Fritz the Horse posted:

If you get anyone citing that site or vaguely pointing to "front line" doctors they are full of poo poo horse paste conspiracy theorists. I don't know what to tell you, it's not a battle you can win.

And important to note here, that group is raking in the money giving telemedicine consultations in order to prescribe people their stupid protocols.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cornwind Evil posted:

Your initial assessment was correct, but in the future if folks want to ask about something here for fact checking, I'd appreciate at least a mention of a source. Mostly because if there's some new purestrain bullshit making the rounds, if we all know about it up front, it'll make it easier for everyone to call it out. A lot of this stuff is cut and dry, but for the benefit of anyone lurking who might be hesitant to ask, or so we can cut our chops practicing to deal with idiot family members, it would be nice to know exactly what you're referring to.

Not a thread rule or anything, just try to be as clear as possible what you'd like the thread to debunk if you're going to come in and ask.

e: I realize you said you didn't get a name of the doctor or anything, but that'd be step one if this was anecdotal from a family member "who? what doctor? do you have a link to an article? a name?"

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 11, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

How are u posted:

We did not foresee the levels of miscommunication we’d be faced with, nor the lack of scientific literacy.

"Miscommunication" is a hell of a euphemism

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Professor Beetus posted:

Your initial assessment was correct, but in the future if folks want to ask about something here for fact checking, I'd appreciate at least a mention of a source. Mostly because if there's some new purestrain bullshit making the rounds, if we all know about it up front, it'll make it easier for everyone to call it out. A lot of this stuff is cut and dry, but for the benefit of anyone lurking who might be hesitant to ask, or so we can cut our chops practicing to deal with idiot family members, it would be nice to know exactly what you're referring to.

Not a thread rule or anything, just try to be as clear as possible what you'd like the thread to debunk if you're going to come in and ask.

e: I realize you said you didn't get a name of the doctor or anything, but that'd be step one if this was anecdotal from a family member "who? what doctor? do you have a link to an article? a name?"

You are correct, but this type of critical thinking is totally alien to, I’d wager, 90% of the population.

Maybe they could use a link to the Debate & Discussion Media Literacy Thread :troll:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lil poopendorfer posted:

You are correct, but this type of critical thinking is totally alien to, I’d wager, 90% of the population.

Maybe they could use a link to the Debate & Discussion Media Literacy Thread :troll:

Fun goon project idea: buy accounts for conservative family members and point them at CSPAM. Tell them the C stands for Conservative and they should go post there.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Professor Beetus posted:

Fun goon project idea: buy accounts for conservative family members and point them at CSPAM. Tell them the C stands for Conservative and they should go post there.

If you need help convincing them, tell them it was started by people banned from Facebook for their conservative views.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

If someone took ivermectin and didn't get seriously sick, that doesn't mean the ivermectin actually did anything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just teaching people that "literature review" doesn't mean "look for and assemble specifically the studies which confirm my chosen viewpoint" would be amazing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A while back in this thread or the previous one, someone posted a link to really good goon-recommended N95-style masks. Does anyone have that link handy?

Our usual cloth "protect other people" masks are fine for the grocery store, but we're going to a show in a couple months and we should probably get some serious "protect ourselves from everybody else" masks for the occasion.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Powered Descent posted:

A while back in this thread or the previous one, someone posted a link to really good goon-recommended N95-style masks. Does anyone have that link handy?

Our usual cloth "protect other people" masks are fine for the grocery store, but we're going to a show in a couple months and we should probably get some serious "protect ourselves from everybody else" masks for the occasion.

The Bona Fide KN95s are pretty excellent, and they come in different sizes, styles, and colors. They're Goon-recommended and also recommended by Wirecutter. We ordered a 10-pack to check them out, and then a 50-pack once we knew we liked them.

Website: https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/kn95-respirator-face-masks/

Coupons: https://www.wethrift.com/bona-fide-masks#deal=F3A85T8BV

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Honestly upgrading from cloth to N95 or similar 100% of the time is probably the biggest easy thing you can do to protect yourself and others during "open Biden" delta surges. You can find the Asian masks for like 70c a pop on sale. I have a bigger face and these are my favorite for not popping off my chin. https://behealthyusa.net/products/special-blue-kf94-3d-mask-large-black-adult-size-100pcs-special-free-shipping Haven't worn a cloth/surgical since last summer.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

My go to is Demetech https://www.demetech.us

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:siren: Updated OP today, :siren: thanks for posting the mask supplier recommendations folks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Many thanks for the links, I now have a 10-pack from Bona Fide on the way. :tipshat:

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Many thanks for the links, I now have a 10-pack from Bona Fide on the way. :tipshat:

I recommend the headloop ones if you have to wear them for hours on end. The normal kn95 can cut into your ears if your unlucky like me.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Professor Beetus posted:

:siren: Updated OP today, :siren: thanks for posting the mask supplier recommendations folks.

For Canadians I recommend Vitacore CAN99 masks. https://www.vitacore.ca/can99-respirator I find them quite comfortable.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I do wish the 3M Aura N95s didn't have 3M plastered all over them, but I guess that's just me being vain.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Fighting Trousers posted:

I do wish the 3M Aura N95s didn't have 3M plastered all over them, but I guess that's just me being vain.
It is, also having 3M NIOSH N95 plastered over the front says “I’m not a moron that buys knock-off KN95s on Amazon.”

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Fighting Trousers posted:

I dont know why this made me think I was reading the PC Part Picking/GPU thread but im glad it did.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
3M should diversify into a fashion brand. Sell handbags patterned with the logo.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I would say wearing anything less than a respirator 18 months into a airborne pandemic is vanity as opposed to finding comfort in a stamp of approval from a trusted government entity that tests respirators.

e: and buying knock-off KN95’s, or even KN95’s shown to have inferior filtration efficiency (Powecom), because you don’t want to wear something that will actually protect you? yeah that’s vanity.

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 13, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Honestly I don't have a problem with vanity if it doesn't compromise safety (which for sure cloth masks do). I wear my N95 to most places, but my black KN95 looks better despite not getting as good a seal (I'll still wear that one if I'm taking my kids to a playground, but never indoors / in crowded places), and I wish that I had colour options outside of white for my good masks.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who think the same way, and I hope manufacturers start to realize that and people can get more protected while not having to abandon every effort to look OK in a mask.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Fashion choices may be silly when it comes to considering protecting yourself from a deadly pandemic, but it's a good thing to normalize and make masks cool so that more people are like "poo poo yeah, gonna rock my purple respirator today" and not "gently caress wearing a good mask, I hate looking like a dork." Giving people the option to not have to choose between stylish and safe would absolutely be a good thing. Until then, yeah if you're reading this thread don't compromise your personal safety for fashion ffs

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
we would be in a better place if we had normalized mask wearing as masculine and had dads competing with each other for the coolest respirator on the block.

but alas, masks are a sign of weakness rather than utility.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Masklab sells KF94s with art prints on them.

Elastomeric respirators are customizable.

N95s will always have the rating and model and phone number and warning printed on them because it’s a regulatory requirement. It’s a good requirement for industrial use, but new standards should have been implemented for the pandemic, not just for people to vain to wear real protective gear, but for kids. N95 is an occupational standard. Respirators in kid sizes aren’t made and aren’t tested in the U.S. because kids officially don’t work in dangerous industries.

They should have done it years ago for wildfire smoke, but the second best time is today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/mrssebald/status/1445478002477789190

I wish these Canadian teachers all the best in fighting this ruinous policy.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Has there been any news of new variants of worry after Delta? I saw a couple in the news a few weeks ago but nothing recent has sounded alarming.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

dalstrs posted:

Has there been any news of new variants of worry after Delta? I saw a couple in the news a few weeks ago but nothing recent has sounded alarming.

from what i have read, currently delta is outcompeting all the new variants--Mu was recently eradicated in america i believe

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

dalstrs posted:

This website is handy if you want to see how Delta has basically taken over everywhere:
https://covariants.org/per-country

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/mrssebald/status/1445478002477789190

I wish these Canadian teachers all the best in fighting this ruinous policy.

I hate this stupid rule every time I go to the hospital. I understand that it's because 99% of the masks people are asking to remove are lovely cloth ones, and they don't know how long I've been using whatever I'm wearing, but you would think that medical professionals would get that replacing a N95 with a basic surgical mask isn't exactly an upgrade, especially for immunosuppressed people. Thankfully I've convinced them that I can put it over my existing mask.

For teachers it's even more ridiculous, since you can vet what they're wearing a bit better when they're someone you see every day instead of just another random person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
If anyone wants to bridge the gap between respirators and N/KN95s, Honeywell/Sperian makes vented P100 headband-style masks that have a good seal. It's what we use when we go around crowds/indoor spaces and they currently (EDIT) DON'T have some on Zoro

Whoolighams fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 13, 2021