Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
enjoy ordering 300 lovely usb port tiles from taobao in five years when that company closes and trying to find the other 299 framework purchasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’ve yet to see a point to the framework other than people who aren’t going to buy it hyping up how customisable it’s going to be like I can’t already cover my MBA in stickers to show how much I love linux

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

r u ready to WALK posted:

apple should be forced to steal the dockable usb-c dongle idea from the framework laptop

those things should become an industry standard, it's such a stupid simple and elegant solution to having the ports you actually want and easily replace them when a port wears out

reminds me of the swappable drive bays on old latitudes. a good idea but going nowhere unless completely standardized

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i ordered an m1 macbook air because lenovo had trouble delivering thinkpads. i am not fully comfortable with the decision but at least its the most degenerate platform anyone will ever run my code on so it is good for testing. and it is supposedly a pretty nice laptop

i hope i did not gently caress up too much

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

hoping for mac mini pro though

big same, though i'd take a monitor and ram limit bump

Jonny 290 posted:

enjoy ordering 300 lovely usb port tiles from taobao in five years when that company closes and trying to find the other 299 framework purchasers

but jonny, just think of how you can cheaply buy another pile of company assets when they liquidate suddenly

those tiles are a core77 student portfolio version of a dongle. they're not bad, per se, but i don't want a pile of tiles in my bag more than i don't want a pile of little cables

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the framework is just another laptop until they make a next gen motherboard upgrade, once that happens it will be my defacto recommended windows laptop

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

matti posted:

i ordered an m1 macbook air because lenovo had trouble delivering thinkpads. i am not fully comfortable with the decision but at least its the most degenerate platform anyone will ever run my code on so it is good for testing. and it is supposedly a pretty nice laptop

i hope i did not gently caress up too much

they’re announcing new macbooks next monday

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i am o.k. with that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no way their bringing back any ports, just keep your fingers crossed for a good number of fully featured usb-c ports. the one other port i think would be huge value to have would be a usb-a port, i still use more usb-a than i do usb-c, and don't foresee many of the devices involved being outdated for another 5+ years. but no way they're doing that either.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

why does anyone pay attention to other people's speculations? remember when the iphone 13 was going to have an always on screen and be a satellite phone?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nope

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
wouldn't surprise me to see hdmi and sd on it again (i'd use the sd slot a lot, the hdmi never, personally). personally i'd just like to see a bunch of usbc on both sides and gently caress usba forever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

IUG posted:

why does anyone pay attention to other people's speculations? remember when the iphone 13 was going to have an always on screen and be a satellite phone?

lmao no

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
new mac book will have no ports and tim apple will introduce a new line of wireless dongles

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/iphone-13-always-on-display-what-it-could-mean-for-you

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/05/report-iphone-13-satellite-features-will-only-be-available-in-select-markets-more/

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The portless MacBook will be a better fluid container than ever, making sure not to spill a single drop of coffee on your desk after you knock a cup into the keyboard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
take care of your expensive electronics instead of just pouring liquids and smearing feces on them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

r u ready to WALK posted:

The portless MacBook will be a better fluid container than ever, making sure not to spill a single drop of coffee on your desk after you knock a cup into the keyboard

can't knock cups into your keyboard when it's just a touch sensitive region of a sealed case

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Perplx posted:

the framework is just another laptop until they make a next gen motherboard upgrade, once that happens it will be my defacto recommended windows laptop

I agree this is going to be the true litmus test of fremaworks ideas

but at the same time I doubt they’ll be able to produce said motherboards in a way that’ll make them come even close to competitive

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it would be super easy to put a seal around the MacBook logic board now that it’s so tiny and low power but they would much rather sell you another machine if you sneeze on it I guess

its like they want to punish the consumer for not buying an ipad, I swear tim actually hates computers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so this framework thing is just a bunch of USB-C dongles that are inset instead of outset

ok

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
yeah it looks like a usb-c dongle but shaped into a square much larger than it needs to be. cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m not denying some blogs ran with a dumb rumour to make a clickbait article but i don’t know a single person who seriously believed any of that

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Perplx posted:

ITS HAPPENING MACBOOKS NEXT WEEK
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/ Oct 18

of course this happens the day I find out I owe a macbook worth of back taxes for some reason

just dont pay your taxes

the new macbook pro sounds very good. todays rumor is that it will have miniled screens which is good probably havent seen the new ipad pro yet. honestly just an air with

Agile Vector posted:

a monitor and ram limit bump

and maybe clocked a touch higher would get me to buy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shaggar posted:

new mac book will have no ports and tim apple will introduce a new line of wireless dongles
god i hate amiibos and all they have wrought

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

take care of your expensive electronics instead of just pouring liquids and smearing feces on them

the iphone 12's waterproofing saved it when i forgot it was in my pocket and jumped in the pool this past summer

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
jumping into a pool with your phone has officially been okay ever since the iphone 7

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i finally stopped reading the ham radio reddit because they won't put the kibosh on "the best ham radio is a $25 baofeng because you can treat it like poo poo and if you drop or lose it you're not out much"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the new floating qr code target on the camera is really bad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

wouldn't surprise me to see hdmi and sd on it again (i'd use the sd slot a lot, the hdmi never, personally). personally i'd just like to see a bunch of usbc on both sides and gently caress usba forever

it'll be hdmi alright

hdmi mini :unsmigghh:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no way would they do SD. what would people use it for?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

no way would they do SD. what would people use it for?

i honestly can’t tell if you’re trolling

it’s extremely useful if you shoot photos and videos on something that isn’t an iphone, and hooking up a cable is a huge pain even if the camera supports it

i use mine constantly.

not suggesting it’s enough for them to bother but it’s still very very useful.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats the point. theyre not going to undermine their "our cameras are amazing" pitch on the iphones by saying "but if you want to use a different camera here's a slot for it"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i finally stopped reading the ham radio reddit because they won't put the kibosh on "the best ham radio is a $25 baofeng because you can treat it like poo poo and if you drop or lose it you're not out much"

what's wrong with this? seems better than advocating the purchase of a $1000 yaesu, which will be sold on ebay after the purchaser discovers that ham radio is 99% chuds and loses his enthusiasm for shitposting on the airwaves

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what's wrong with this? seems better than advocating the purchase of a $1000 yaesu, which will be sold on ebay after the purchaser discovers that ham radio is 99% chuds and loses his enthusiasm for shitposting on the airwaves

That's a common argument and there is a whole spectrum of radio quality/price points.

a yaesu ft-60r is vastly better quality, you pay $150 for it, and if you don't like it, you can sell it for $130-140

a baofeng is trash, you pay $25 for it, and if you don't like it, you can sell it for $0

they're e-waste

i will say they're great second or third radios. horrible first ones.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

thats the point. theyre not going to undermine their "our cameras are amazing" pitch on the iphones by saying "but if you want to use a different camera here's a slot for it"

yes yes i get how apple views its marketing thanks

i'm not sure though. like they'd never include them on the air but it wouldn't surprise me on the pro. either case - them being there or not - is possible imo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wouldnt mind a real deal dock for the pro with sd, 10gig, maybe an nvme slot? fuuuuck

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

a dock is just a dongle that's settled down

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

a dock is just a dongle that's settled down

exactly, that sort of thing exists and is sold by third parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple wants to push their cameras but they also know a lot of people won’t replace their four or five figure pro camera with an iPhone