Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

withak posted:

I just upgraded to ios15 and there isn’t a scroll bar visible in threads. There is one on the bookmarks page.

Yeah and my fix for this causes white flashes on page loads, so that needs a little more time in the oven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

withak posted:

I just upgraded to ios15 and there isn’t a scroll bar visible in threads. There is one on the bookmarks page.

Are you on oled using pure black? Cause it's visible in normal dark and light modes for me with my 11

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

Are you on oled using pure black? Cause it's visible in normal dark and light modes for me with my 11

Probably, if I switch to “classic dark” theme then I can see a dark scroll bar. It’s on an iPhone Excess.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

carry on then posted:

It’s not too bad when developing, most of the time it comes up we’re responding to some change in the OS is a simple if available check is all that’s required.

I definitely get it though, I’m stuck writing Java 6 for one of the main products at my job.

6u35 😩

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Counter to that, I’m looking at your post on ios15 whatever and there is a huge (vertical) scroll bar.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Counter to that, I’m looking at your post on ios15 whatever and there is a huge (vertical) scroll bar.

It's dark mode reading the thread where the scroll bar disappears.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

commie kong posted:

Yeah, it's a battle between html character encoding and Apple's smart punctuation (autocorrect/suggestions/etc). Apple's injected punctuation can sometimes use characters outside any of the encodings typically used on the web. The missing characters are actually there and saved to posts, but they are not rendered. Not in the app, not in a browser, not in the bloody xcode debug console! But they are present in the source.

I do have a "fix", but it involves decoding and encoding text multiple times, which seems pretty inefficient. I can hand this over if anyone wants to have a look. There has gotta be a better way!

Edit: This is for viewing, which is all I've got so far. We should also check our encoding for posting, as it would be nice if those characters weren't sent to SA to begin with. (Tho we can only control posts from the app and I wouldn't be surprised if posting via a MacOS desktop browser does the same thing if autocorrect is enabled?)
If you want to match the browser's behavior, you should be html-encoding anything outside of cp1252. I would very much like it if you'd respect the accept-charset attribute of any forms, and if a form doesn't have that, using encoding specified by the http response. It is not particularly well documented, but my understanding is that browsers will html encode any character outside of those encodings upon submission. This way your posts will still render the stupid smart quotes, assuming they have a valid html encoding.

For thread titles, things are hairier, but for post text, this should be good enough.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
The PYF meme thread just had some quote spamming of very tall images, that I wouldn’t expect to be very big file sizes, and should only have to cache in once, but for some reason loading those pages seems to take a long time, like I would expect opening a gif-packed page of the schadenfreude thread, for example.

Is this a quirk of the process being used to convert the forums page to the app’s format? Or is my internet just extra poop today? I feel like it affected both cellular and WiFi loading, since it did it again after I got home and hit next page.

Also my phone might just suck I guess, but thought I would ask here! The double tap feature was great for skipping the posts in question once the page loaded though :)

Edit: after this post the meme thread went hard on tall posts and apparently started crashing the Android app, sorry I brought this evil into the world.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 14, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

It's dark mode reading the thread where the scroll bar disappears.

Ah, fair point. I have the app seat to reflect system stats or whatever so it’s not Super Black all the time. Appreciate that feature devgoons.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The app doesn’t want to open this link for me. If I click it nothing happens, if long press it and pick Open in Awful nothing happens.

Edit: If I visit the new subforum directly from the forums list it loads and after that the link works

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 13, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it worked for me the first time without my ever having looked at that forum before.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It didn’t work for me either until I did a pull to refresh on the forums list. I’m guessing it’s not about having visited the forum, but about the app being aware the forum exists.

b_d posted:

it worked for me the first time without my ever having looked at that forum before.

I think the app must have fetched the list of forums for you some time between when the forum was added and when you tried clicking the link.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If you want to match the browser's behavior, you should be html-encoding anything outside of cp1252. I would very much like it if you'd respect the accept-charset attribute of any forms, and if a form doesn't have that, using encoding specified by the http response. It is not particularly well documented, but my understanding is that browsers will html encode any character outside of those encodings upon submission. This way your posts will still render the stupid smart quotes, assuming they have a valid html encoding.

For thread titles, things are hairier, but for post text, this should be good enough.

Ahh thanks for this. I will do my best to honour your recommendations.

On that note, regarding the convo earlier (months ago) about DateTime formatting: I have an experimental build where I'm displaying pure values as received from the forums. This actually looks much better in the posts view, but for Private Messages it kinda sucks. "Oct 1, 2021 at 8:08 PM" is too long. Whereas "1 Oct" or "22 Sep" is a much nicer formatting for messages. So I may not honour the directive there (or I may provide an option to format dates differently)

Diabolik900 posted:

I think the app must have fetched the list of forums for you some time between when the forum was added and when you tried clicking the link.

This is exactly it. I'm making a change so that it taxonomises the forums index if the app attempts to route to a forum we haven't persisted yet

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

The app is still saying “image upload failed” when in fact the problem is that my posting is happening too rapidly

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Error message should just be the “it’s time to stop posting” cat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

commie kong posted:

Ahh thanks for this. I will do my best to honour your recommendations.

On that note, regarding the convo earlier (months ago) about DateTime formatting: I have an experimental build where I'm displaying pure values as received from the forums. This actually looks much better in the posts view, but for Private Messages it kinda sucks. "Oct 1, 2021 at 8:08 PM" is too long. Whereas "1 Oct" or "22 Sep" is a much nicer formatting for messages. So I may not honour the directive there (or I may provide an option to format dates differently)

This is exactly it. I'm making a change so that it taxonomises the forums index if the app attempts to route to a forum we haven't persisted yet

Hey can you deliver these fixes as you make them? When you hold a ton of changes out and drop them in all at once it makes it difficult for me to find bugs to work on since I don’t know which ones you’ve already fixed or have made significant changes in the area of. Thanks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a gesture or other form of input that would allow a user to go “back” to their bookmarks/forum browser/etc from a thread without having to interact with the top left corner of the phone screen? It’s not a major issue but for larger screens single hand browsing can be troublesome. I know there’s that iOS level “squash things down” gesture but I can never get it to work right.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

can't you just drag right from the left edge?

i've got a super corner case type of request which would probably affect 1 person 1 time ever. but if i'm editing my post and close it and save a draft, then i go to quote another post, it asks me to delete the draft. i'd prefer it if it added the quote to the end of the draft like it does when you're drafting a new post.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I’ve had the same annoyance for ages and Commie and I are working to make a solution to it!

e: the top left corner thumb strain, that is

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 16, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

But why not use the left edge drag which already exists and is pretty reliable?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

b_d posted:

i've got a super corner case type of request which would probably affect 1 person 1 time ever. but if i'm editing my post and close it and save a draft, then i go to quote another post, it asks me to delete the draft. i'd prefer it if it added the quote to the end of the draft like it does when you're drafting a new post.

Just press this one:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

But why not use the left edge drag which already exists and is pretty reliable?

I do use that atm but with a case on the phone it’s the tiniest bit unreliable

Warbird
May 23, 2012

b_d posted:

can't you just drag right from the left edge?

Son of a bitch. I had tried that a few times but it never took. Must be the the case or something. That pretty much addresses my concern.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still say it should work like the iPad version where dragging anywhere takes you back.

The left edge does work but being able to swipe from the middle would also be great. That’s how it works on the iPad and it’s nice.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

MarcusSA posted:

I still say it should work like the iPad version where dragging anywhere takes you back.

The left edge does work but being able to swipe from the middle would also be great. That’s how it works on the iPad and it’s nice.

Well that would suck for the phone experience

I really love how every new iteration of this app has been an improvement. A great goon project

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Diabolik900 posted:

Just press this one:

i didn't see that button at all.. but i just tested and it's there.. doh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cat Hassler posted:

Well that would suck for the phone experience

Why?

When is someone doing a left swipe for anything except to go back?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Instagram has a swipe left to right to go to camera, and it never seems to accidentally trigger. That’s basically it, right?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I accidentally swipe back sometimes which loses my place in the thread but it’s easy enough to go back one page and set it manually again. I’ve never intentionally used it, always like this :shepicide:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

You can also swipe leftwards from the right edge of your Bookmarks page or a forums view in Awful to resume reading your last-viewed thread! This doesn't update anything, it just redisplays the previously-dismissed thread at the same scroll location, so you don't even have to re-find your place either.

(I've been hoping that a right arrow might at some point appear on the Bookmarks/Forums views to expose that functionality at a glance, and also to remove the swipe-to-mb-delete-bookmark so it cannot interfere with the swipe-to-resume gesture. If you do get stuck in that state, you can still swipe from the top right corner of the screen, within the top bar, where there's no bookmark that can be swiped-to-mb-delete!)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

carry on then posted:

Hey can you deliver these fixes as you make them? When you hold a ton of changes out and drop them in all at once it makes it difficult for me to find bugs to work on since I don’t know which ones you’ve already fixed or have made significant changes in the area of. Thanks.

Sorry, you should be safe to go ahead now

Anything that I've posted about but is not currently in Main is still in progress. Namely, character encoding and new forum dead links.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Grace Baiting posted:

You can also swipe leftwards from the right edge of your Bookmarks page or a forums view in Awful to resume reading your last-viewed thread! This doesn't update anything, it just redisplays the previously-dismissed thread at the same scroll location, so you don't even have to re-find your place either.

i use this function a lot. there's something that's annoying about it, though. if you swipe from the right edge on the bookmarks list, sometimes it will take you back to the thread. and sometimes it will pull a bookmark to the left to show the buttons or whatever. i cannot figure out what makes ios pick which one it wants to do. i try to do it on a line between bookmarks but im not sure if it makes a difference.

i'm sure this is an ios thing and not something you can really do anything about.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

b_d posted:

i didn't see that button at all.. but i just tested and it's there.. doh

ah ok im not blind or crazy, i just figured out what i did before. if you quote a post, save the draft, THEN edit your post you only have the options to delete the draft or cancel. i guess the desired behavior in this situation is a lot less clear, so that makes sense. maybe there could be a button to add the draft to the end but me just doing it the other way around makes more sense.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

b_d posted:

i use this function a lot. there's something that's annoying about it, though. if you swipe from the right edge on the bookmarks list, sometimes it will take you back to the thread. and sometimes it will pull a bookmark to the left to show the buttons or whatever. i cannot figure out what makes ios pick which one it wants to do. i try to do it on a line between bookmarks but im not sure if it makes a difference.

i'm sure this is an ios thing and not something you can really do anything about.

Yep! I would love it if the swipe-to-mb-delete-bookmark gesture were just wholesale removed so that it wouldn't collide with the swipe-from-right-edge gesture to resume reading a thread. (You can already longpress on a bookmark core the option of deleting a thread bookmark!)

Any excellent Awful app devs who wish to be profusely thanked + praised by me, take note :frogc00l:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i would really miss swipe-to-delete on bookmarks

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

can you maybaps restrict the left swipe on bookmarks so that it won't trigger next to the right edge.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

b_d posted:

can you maybaps restrict the left swipe on bookmarks so that it won't trigger next to the right edge.

i like this idea

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have had problems where the swipe left gesture triggers when "scrubbing" on an embedded youtube video, by the way. It's easy enough to dismiss the side panel again, but a little weird.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just got a TestFlight update tonight and looks like automatic dark mode is broken in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just got a TestFlight update tonight and looks like automatic dark mode is broken in it.

How so? I don't use the feature but switching my ios settings between light and dark mode seems to change the theme as I'd expect