Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HopperUK posted:

It's not information exchange. It's ritual.

Yup, it's a simple interpersonal transaction where you each validate the other person's existence. There are all sorts of simple rituals you share with acquaintances, and more complex ones you share with friends, family, or lovers.

You can check out this book for more detail, Games People Play:

https://smile.amazon.com/Games-People-Play-Eric-Berne-ebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like a lot of things, abusive parents love to stunt your growth by turning basic activities like social niceties into horrific death marches without reason or sense.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like a lot of things, abusive parents love to stunt your growth by turning basic activities like social niceties into horrific death marches without reason or sense.

You speak enormous amounts of truth.

The weaponization of what should be small simple easy things done out of joy and affection, (gift giving, smiling, saying thank you and/or please and many many others), and turning them into joyless rote rituals that exist now as things to punish you when you get them wrong is a horrible horrible thing.

I have had "politeness" beaten into me by years of private schooling and strict appearance conscious parents. This has worked in my favour many times in formal situations, but it still makes me a little sad when I see friends and acquaintances being casually affectionate with each other, and I still have to use my best "yes sir, no sir" Sunday manners with my parents. I also revert to using these formal "courtly" manners whenever I am nervous or unsure, which is why it has worked in my favour when meeting a boss or older person or something, as it comes across to them as very respectful, when in reality it is rote learning and muscle memory.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite is the Chinese equivalent of "how are you" but "have you eaten?". That's a very subtle "are you doing good" and also "maybe we can hang out" all in one.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

You speak enormous amounts of truth.

The weaponization of what should be small simple easy things done out of joy and affection, (gift giving, smiling, saying thank you and/or please and many many others), and turning them into joyless rote rituals that exist now as things to punish you when you get them wrong is a horrible horrible thing.

I have had "politeness" beaten into me by years of private schooling and strict appearance conscious parents. This has worked in my favour many times in formal situations, but it still makes me a little sad when I see friends and acquaintances being casually affectionate with each other, and I still have to use my best "yes sir, no sir" Sunday manners with my parents. I also revert to using these formal "courtly" manners whenever I am nervous or unsure, which is why it has worked in my favour when meeting a boss or older person or something, as it comes across to them as very respectful, when in reality it is rote learning and muscle memory.

I had to call my dad “sir” growing up from as long ago as I can remember and it definitely put a divide between us—me the progeny and he the one in charge, never to be equals. In his eyes we still aren’t

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was always interrupted to be told to say things like "thank you" before I even had a chance to open my mouth. It pissed me off so much. Just let me have the chance to prove I'm not a jerk for once instead of always painting me as one.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Picnic Princess posted:

I was always interrupted to be told to say things like "thank you" before I even had a chance to open my mouth. It pissed me off so much. Just let me have the chance to prove I'm not a jerk for once instead of always painting me as one.

The loving worst. I used to be on the phone with relatives after a holiday with my dad in my other ear all, "Have you thanked them yet? Be sure to thank them. I haven't heard a thank you yet." I'll work it into the loving conversation naturally, not blurt it the gently caress out in the middle of a sentence or interrupt them to do so. Chill.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's textbook bullying like a dog worrying sheep. Never give them any time to get things right or ask what they are doing wrong, just keep barking.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I know we've moved on a bit but it's also fine to not be particularly interested in pets, but then I assume you wouldn't get one because it's the 'done thing' and then decide to put them down when you failed to bond and they bored you. The disturbing thing in that family story isn't that the mother wasn't fond of pets, but that she'd gotten at least one anyway and then treated the cat so carelessly. Even rehoming a pet with someone who loved the sort of pet they are would be much much much better, but presumably that didn't occur to her bc she didn't understand why someone would go through the trouble.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I also revert to using these formal "courtly" manners whenever I am nervous or unsure, which is why it has worked in my favour when meeting a boss or older person or something, as it comes across to them as very respectful, when in reality it is rote learning and muscle memory.
When my father was angry, he insisted on being called "sir". Not the rest of the time. My brother says it's been very handy when pulled over by police, because he reflexively shifts into "sir". Hey, you take what you can scrabble from the ashes.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's textbook bullying like a dog worrying sheep. Never give them any time to get things right or ask what they are doing wrong, just keep barking.

It goes both ways - catch a boomer/narcissist in a mistake, and they will :words::words::words: about anything and everything except what they did wrong

Regardless of what they say, there are two things a boomer/narcissist will never do - admit fault, and give a genuine compliment.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When my father was angry, he insisted on being called "sir". Not the rest of the time. My brother says it's been very handy when pulled over by police, because he reflexively shifts into "sir". Hey, you take what you can scrabble from the ashes.

:same: My dad was in the army, and my grandfather before him, so in his rages he would expect us to stand at attention and have this entire faux-military respect thing. Its worked out well for me, like your brother - in tough situations most people assume i'm ex-military, especially cops

The drawback is that I don't actually know what I'm doing in those situations - I go into complete anxious disassociation if a cop turns on their lights behind me, let alone pulls me over.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i had to call my mom "ma'am". my younger sisters' (both in their late teens/early twenties) call her Mommy on reflex. its creepy and weirds me the gently caress out

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Chairman Mao posted:

That sounds insane. That sounds like the kind of ritual an insane person would have.
As an autistic person, I've noticed that a lot of social rituals sound insane if you strip them down to their essential function/pattern and just describe them like that, but it doesn't stop them from being important to the people doing them(which sometimes includes you!). All these little stock phrases and stock conversations("hi, how are you!"/"good, how are you"/"fine, thanks"*) serve as several kinds of social lubricrant - letting you acknowledge someone without putting a ton of energy into an interaction, letting you judge if something's off with someone because they're wildly off-script, letting you get to know someone safely without getting into heavy/intimate topics, etc. Of course, there are problems both with people just assuming kids will learn these things without ever being explicitly taught them & with people assuming that people not following the script are always intentionally trying to piss you off/dispense TMI.

*Incidentally I've never had trouble with this one but I've seen a lot of other autistic people annoyed by how fake it is/how it basically requires you to lie. Usually along the lines of "why are you asking how I am if you don't actually want the answer? Why am I expected to say fine when I'm not fine?" Finding out the term 'phatic expression' may help a lot in trying to explain them, thanks to Arsenic Lupin for that.

PetraCore posted:

I know we've moved on a bit but it's also fine to not be particularly interested in pets, but then I assume you wouldn't get one because it's the 'done thing' and then decide to put them down when you failed to bond and they bored you. The disturbing thing in that family story isn't that the mother wasn't fond of pets, but that she'd gotten at least one anyway and then treated the cat so carelessly. Even rehoming a pet with someone who loved the sort of pet they are would be much much much better, but presumably that didn't occur to her bc she didn't understand why someone would go through the trouble.
And also you don't look at people who have and love pets and assume they're freaks or just pretending to love their pets. And if they were sad about something related to their pet, you'd be able to show basic empathy(presumably).

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Psychologists confirming what everyone already knew - estranged parents blame manipulative spouses and mental illness rather than looking at themselves.

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2021-85856-001

does anyone has access to a journal subscription? I'd be interested in seeing if it was a basic survey report or if the researchers draw any broader conclusions.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dongsturm posted:

Psychologists confirming what everyone already knew - estranged parents blame manipulative spouses and mental illness rather than looking at themselves.

does anyone has access to a journal subscription? I'd be interested in seeing if it was a basic survey report or if the researchers draw any broader conclusions.

If you can't get it from sci-hub or find it on ResearchGate or Google Scholar, just email the corresponding author. They can usually share their own articles and are too excited someone is actually reading it to say no.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Dongsturm posted:

I have access to the article through my job. The study was done through a survey with 1,630 respondents (all mothers), and here are some of the findings.

From the discussion section (bolding mine):

quote:

One of the most popular reasons for estrangement these mothers endorsed was that family members turned the child against them, often implicating the adult child’s spouse or partner or the child’s other parent, consistent with prior research (Agllias, 2015; Carr et al., 2015). In our study, estranged women who believed family members contributed to estrangement reported lower contact frequency with children and longer time since last contact. These mothers also reported that most estrangements happened after their adult child had married or partnered and after the birth of grandchildren. Some parents have a hard time accepting their reduced feeling of importance in the life of their adult child, and may respond with negativity or anger, creating distance rather than a movement toward greater closeness (Agllias, 2018; Coleman, 2007). Generational conflict about grandparents’ advice and involvement may further strain parent–adult child relations (Mott Poll Report, 2020), which could precipitate estrangement.

quote:

Another commonly endorsed cause of estrangement was disagreements about values, consistent with prior research (Agllias, 2015; Gilligan et al., 2015). From the parent’s perspective, these disagreements did not center around issues such as sexuality or religion. Considering that children’s perspectives on estrangement often reveal longstanding feelings of disconnection from the parent and family, “differences in values” may have different meaning for parents and children. Moreover, even though mothers reported receiving complaints from children about physical and emotional abuse and neglect, relatively few mothers admitted abuse or neglect or implicated them as reasons for estrangement. This is striking given that adult children cite abuse (or enabling abuse) and “toxic” parental behavior as key reasons for estrangement (Agllias, 2016; Carr et al., 2015; Scharp et al., 2015). One exception was that estranged mothers with lower levels of income tended to report that the causes of estrangement included neglect of their child, in contrast with higher income women who were less likely to believe that their own issues contributed to the estrangement. Perhaps this distinction is explained by differential access to socioeconomic resources and other supports.
Here's the final paragraph of the conclusion:

quote:

Although parents’ reluctance or inability to accept their own role in estrangement may reflect parent defensiveness, generational differences in the conceptualization of inappropriate and destructive parental behavior may play a part. Haslam (2016) notes that definitions of abuse, trauma, and neglect have expanded to incorporate more symptoms and to pathologize experiences once considered normative. Helping estranged parents adopt the adult child’s concepts and language is critical to reconciliation (Coleman, 2007). This can be achieved by acknowledging the “separate realities” of family life where a parent could reasonably believe their behavior was not problematic, while their adult child could reasonably experience it as hurtful or harmful. Helping parents express empathy, take responsibility, and avoid a “right versus wrong” perspective is essential to increased understanding and conflict resolution.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I got a copy via the author myself (PM me if you want a copy)

SCHOPPE-SULLIVAN, et al posted:

Data were drawn from the Understanding
Parental Estrangement Survey conducted by
the University of Wisconsin Survey Center in
2019. Parents were recruited from a listserv of
roughly 10,000 individuals who are experiencing
and interested in discussing parental estrange-
ment. The total sample included 1,630 partici-
pants, a majority of which (95%) had experienced
estrangement from one or more children. The
present study focused only on parents who iden-
tified as women (n = 1,035). To be eligible,
participants had to be able to read English. All
study procedures and materials were approved by
an independent Institutional Review Board. Par-
ents provided informed consent to participate in
the study. Incentives were not used.
Most mothers had been estranged from one
(n = 895; 71.03%) or two (n = 280; 22.22%)
children. Sixty-four percent (n = 659) were mar-
ried. Among these mothers, 363 (34.97%) re-
ported being married to or in a marriage-like
relationship with the estranged child’s biological
father. The median household income was
between $75,001 and $100,000 per year. The
median level of education for participants was
a bachelor’s degree, with 62.71% of mothers
having obtained at least a bachelor’s degree.
Most participants identified as White (94.20%;
n = 975). Participants were between the ages of
37 and 87 years (M = 63.93 years; SD = 7.23).
Mothers completed online surveys about their
experienceswithestrangement,includingendorse-
ment of common attributions for estrangement
(from their most recently estranged child, if they
were estranged from multiple children). Questions
were developed based on prior research (Carr
et al., 2015; Gilligan et al., 2015). Immediately
after these questions, mothers reported their
estranged child’s perceptions of them, and in
particular, the child’s complaints and accusa-
tions. Mothers also reported their contact with
the estranged child(ren).

Interesting that this confirmed my suspicion that a significant amount of estranged parents are white, though that may be a bias of the methodology (had to speak english, survey was online, etc)

For this group, this table is probably the biggest thing that would be seen as important:

Seems other spouses are a problem for estranged mothers.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm curious about the "other values" are that aren't sexuality or religion that these mothers think drove a wedge between them. I suspect it's the "respect and obey your parents no matter what" value.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm curious about the "other values" are that aren't sexuality or religion that these mothers think drove a wedge between them. I suspect it's the "respect and obey your parents no matter what" value.

Racism

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Politics

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Perception of perfect obedience

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Trying to convince their own kids that the grandkids should be abused into compliance.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Or believe that their grandkids exist to be their emotional bandaids

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks everyone.

It looks like the paper roughly confirms what we saw on the estranged parents forum - parents blaming someone else for stealing their children. I was wondering if that was selection bias on the forum, but it looks like it is a general pattern.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

18% of estranged mothers recognizing that their own issues are partially at fault is much higher than I expected

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

deep dish peat moss posted:

18% of estranged mothers recognizing that their own issues are partially at fault is much higher than I expected

I mean there had to be some percentage of estranged parents who aren't raging narcissists and whose estrangements really are just due to mistakes they regret or circumstances beyond their control (like poverty or their kid having issues they didn't know how to handle). Those just wouldn't be the types of people posting on forums about how their kids are ungrateful little shits who abandoned them for no reason.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Is the estranged parents forum still on full lockdown?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rabbit Hill posted:

I have access to the article through my job. The study was done through a survey with 1,630 respondents (all mothers), and here are some of the findings.

From the discussion section (bolding mine):

Here's the final paragraph of the conclusion:

That bit about mothers of lower income being more likely to recognize their neglect of their child while richer mothers do not is just heartbreaking.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

There were some posts where the estranged parent said sonething like "it's my fault for being too loving/indulgent/good/awesome" when they very obviously weren't. possibly these responses got counted as self awareness.

Also all the ones that started with "I wasn't the perfect parent, but it's not my fault that (insane abuse story goes here)", which might count as acknowledging that there is an issue

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I shared it with my high school friends group. It's funny how all the women in the group I went to high school with are now estranged from one or more parents.

My mom blames my dad. She thinks he's the reason I cut off contact 2 years ago. In a weird way he sort of was. Once she ran away from home I had no reason to put up with her bullshit so I could keep a relationship with him. He was the one trying to convince me to forgive her at first. We're all on the same page now after the shenanigans she is trying to pull in their divorce. It's super angering that she doesn't think I have enough agency to make my own decisions.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Samovar posted:

That bit about mothers of lower income being more likely to recognize their neglect of their child while richer mothers do not is just heartbreaking.

My mom is upper middle class and frequently points to that as a reason why I couldn't have possibly experienced abuse. She gave me money! That means she can physically push me around any time, you see, because the money makes up for it. Everyone knows well-off people are incapable of abuse because that's poor people behavior (according to her) :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More estranged parents in the making.

AITA for admitting I resent the forced babysitting?

quote:

My dad married Susan last year. She was divorced and her ex is not in the picture. Her kids are 7, 4 and 3 (she was pregnant when they met, they dated long distance for two years). My dad started dating her about three months after my mom died. I knew about it but he told me it was online so it wasn't the same as going out and dating at the time. It's been awkward as hell for me. I have been placed in the role of babysitter so they can have date nights and stuff and my dad tells me to do it out of a love and obligation for the family. Only, I love him, he's my dad and all, but his wife? Her kids? I really don't care about them. I kinda wish I didn't have to interact with them. And I hate that I'm stuck babysitting. Susan told me her kids love having a big brother who spends time with them and it kinda struck me that it's part of why they do it. They want me to spend actual quality time with her kids and be their big brother and saw babysitting as the only way to enforce it at my age (16). My dad told me they were going out Friday night and I would need to babysit again and I grumbled. He said I make it sound like a chore. I told him it's how I see it. He told me it's time with my siblings. I told him I resent it and I don't see them as siblings, they're his wife's kids, just like his wife is his wife. I told him I do it because I love him not because I love all of them but I still resent having to do it.

He said I had a lovely attitude and to think of how the kids would feel if they knew I didn't at least like them. I told him that's always a risk you take when you hype someone up as a sibling to younger kids without asking the older kid(s) how they feel. He told me not to talk about it around them and to fix my attitude because it's an rear end in a top hat's attitude.

AITA?

AITA for saying no to blended family Christmas?

quote:

I (18f) just started college a few weeks ago and I moved out of state. I left my dad, stepmom, stepbrother, stepsister and half siblings back in my home state. They started planning a big blended family Christmas right after I left. With my dad's family and his wife's family included. I said I wouldn't be there. I want to spend Christmas with my mom's family. I didn't get to do that since I was 8. My mom died when I was 6 and they were always at Christmas when she was alive. But the year my dad remarried there was drama because they wanted a little bit of alone time with me and not to have to include my stepsiblings in that. My dad said no. That they either accept the whole family equally or they were out. I always hated that. They brought gifts for the other two and everything but they wanted 30 minutes just me and them and were told no. And after that everything was a battle and I got to see them way less. And I missed them. I always felt it was unfair. Even when I went to see them my dad or stepmom would pressure me to "just bring" the other kids along so it would be on my grandparents to say no to the kids and be the bad guys. I always wanted some time with them though. Not family time. But time with people who didn't just love me but loved my mom. And understood there was a hole that just never got filled. My dad and stepmom always assumed she filled it. That she was my new mom. Even when I never called her mom, or never introduced her as my mom, the assumption was there. And it drove a wedge because they figured she was enough to make me not miss time with my grandparents and they didn't ever really hear me when I spoke about it.

And now I'm an adult I want to have the control to spend time with people who mean so much to me. I want Christmas with them. I want time where I can talk about the letters mom wrote to me for my 18th birthday and the start of my life after high school. I can't talk to my dad about it because he always tries to include my stepmom and she always wants to read my letters from my mom.

So I told them I wouldn't be there. That I had made other plans for Christmas and poo poo hit the fan when I told them what those plans were. They accused me of choosing cruel people over them. Saying my grandparents chose to exclude my siblings and chose to make them feel inferior and to treat my stepmom as an intruder when they only tried to include them as part of the bigger, wider family. I told them I missed my mom's family and wanted that time with them. What I said cut my stepmom because I haven't seen anyone in her family in 2 years now and by saying what I did she saw it for what it was, that I don't miss them the way I miss my mom's family.

They are so mad about it. My stepsister blew up my WhatsApp about how poo poo I am and nuclear family should come before extended.

AITA?

And for anyone wondering, the bg is included in case someone asks why I don't invite mom's family to the blended family Christmas.

YOU WILL BE A HAPPY LOVING FAMILY BECAUSE WE SAY SO... what do you mean you're going to college far from home?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

"I moved on, and you're just an extension of me, so you moved on too!" is some loving nutso thinking, but is clearly what is going on here.

Also, any time anyone says "<Specific type of> Family comes before anything", they're being an rear end in a top hat.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

More estranged parents in the making.

AITA for admitting I resent the forced babysitting?

quote:

I told him I do it because I love him not because I love all of them but I still resent having to do it.

He said I had a lovely attitude and to think of how the kids would feel if they knew I didn't at least like them. I told him that's always a risk you take when you hype someone up as a sibling to younger kids without asking the older kid(s) how they feel.
Good for that kid for saying that to his dad! I wish I could tell him I'm proud of him for advocating for himself so articulately and maturely. His dad and step-mom suck.

Goddamnit, I hate it when parents take their good-natured kids for granted.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Samovar posted:

I suspect it's that richer mothers who are estranged expect material goods to replace love and affection while poorer mothers who are estranged are more likely to have wanted to spend more time with their children but simply been too exhausted trying to get everyone fed and clothed. Really sad.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Dongsturm posted:

There were some posts where the estranged parent said something like "it's my fault for being too loving/indulgent/good/awesome" when they very obviously weren't. possibly these responses got counted as self awareness.

When I was a kid I was very attached to my toys and my neighborhood because I didn't have much close connection with other people, and my mom caused me a lot of stress (hitting, screaming, saying crazy things). Later on as an adult, when I was happier, I realized I didn't still feel that fierce attachment to inanimate things and places as much.

But when I was a child and said to my mother that I wanted to live in a house on our street when I grew up (because I felt a lot of dread and anxiety about moving to a new place, and thought I would miss my street terribly), she said to me "Ah, maybe we've made it too comfortable for you here."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took a personal phonecall while around my mom today which reminded me of this whole thing she does.

She spends a lot of time on the phone with her siblings and they talk to each other about everything. I know what they talk about because she absolutely insists on talking to me at least once a week and walking me through every conversation she has had since she last saw me. That's everything from a little bit of small talk with a stranger at the grocery store to embarrassing or dark family secrets that her siblings shared with her. I know every single bit of drama that every single one of my aunts and uncles has ever experienced, I know their medical history and I know my cousins' medical history, I know about their struggles with mental health, I know about all of the fights they get in with their children and half the time I even know what they had for lunch and dinner every day. I have seen each of them fewer than 10 times in my entire life. I also know what comment a woman at the grocery store made about a cracker brand that I've never tried, or what someone said to her about the weather.

So naturally she feels like she has an inalienable right to listen in on her kids' phone calls or private/personal conversations. If you walk away to talk in private she will find reasons to follow you and hover near you. If you close a door she will press her ear against it. In fact, if there's a part she misheard or didn't hear, she will actually ask you about it later, just this tacit outright admission that she was listening and that she feels entitled to ask for clarification about your private conversations that she was eavesdropping on. Not indulging will then often turn into her telling her siblings the entirety of your conversation that she overheard and then them all speculating together on what the part that she missed was, and her recapping that speculation for you later.

Something like 15 years ago I tried several times to explain to her that this is exactly why I never open up to her or talk to her about anything but she couldn't get past denying that she does that for long enough to go "oh ok"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 14, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Oh god Christmas chat lol

I wasted years trying to convince my mom we should all do Christmas together. It seemed kind of ludicrous that we had to have alternating separate Christmases because the only family on my side that lived in the same city was my mom, so it would be one year with all of my husband's family, and then just him and me and my mom the other year. Everyone except my mom agreed it made way more sense to do it all together every year, but she always refused. It was over a decade of inviting her and her turning us down that I found out she loving HATES my MIL and has since 1999 because if a misinterpreted sentence in a letter MIL wrote my mom when I joined them for a weekend out of town at their new ranch they just bought. Which mom drove out and took me home that evening and never spoke a loving word to MIL since.

They've been in the same room twice, at a yearly special event through my university, where my mom would just sit silently beside me and see about how mad she was that I seemed happier in the presence of my friends. She would wander off when we were standing and chatting in a group.

The misinterpretation was "You won't need to worry, PP is safe with us", which in my mom's head didn't mean "I know we haven't met, but we're good people", it meant "PP is clearly NOT safe with you so we're kidnapping her lol sucks to suck you lovely mother".

And she still believes it over 20 years later even though I've explained it, and explained it to other members of my family who my mom told, and they were subsequently baffled that it could be taken any other way than what it actually meant.

All that came out in 2016 when I risked my job to travel halfway across the country to have Christmas with my mom at my sister's place, and was threatened with being disowned if I didn't go. There were a couple times she went out there in the past and I wasn't able to because Christams was the second vusiest time of year at work and we were contractually obligated to work the entire season. So I had to plead my case that I should be able to travel, and then the whole thing out there was a huge fuckign disaster and I learned the full scope of misconstrued ideas and decades of resentment held against me and my MIL.

I haven't had a Christmas with my mom since, and have had every one with my MIL aside from last year due to lcokdown. But she still dropped off a gift basket full of fresh baked goodies, and now we're currently temporarily living with her while we do renovations and fixing up mold poo poo in the foundation, so we'll have Christmas with her again and it's going to be wonderful.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

So naturally she feels like she has an inalienable right to listen in on her kids' phone calls or private/personal conversations. If you walk away to talk in private she will find reasons to follow you and hover near you. If you close a door she will press her ear against it. In fact, if there's a part she misheard or didn't hear, she will actually ask you about it later, just this tacit outright admission that she was listening and that she feels entitled to ask for clarification about your private conversations that she was eavesdropping on. Not indulging will then often turn into her telling her siblings the entirety of your conversation that she overheard and then them all speculating together on what the part that she missed was, and her recapping that speculation for you later.

Something like 15 years ago I tried several times to explain to her that this is exactly why I never open up to her or talk to her about anything but she couldn't get past denying that she does that for long enough to go "oh ok"

Same deal here. It was especially fun when I moved out of home and in with a boyfriend, and since Mum worked at the phone company and had access to every phone number we were calling and our billing activity. We forgot to pay the bill one month and the account got suspended and when I had it reconnected, the first call I got was from my mum going off her rocker at me for not paying the bill. When I told her to mind her own business she got lovely and hung up on me like I was the one in the wrong for pointing out that she shouldn't be using her job to look at our bill, which was actually in my boyfriend's name.

The idea that she doesn't have an automatic right to know everything going on in my life is just completely beyond her comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

bee posted:

Same deal here. It was especially fun when I moved out of home and in with a boyfriend, and since Mum worked at the phone company and had access to every phone number we were calling and our billing activity. We forgot to pay the bill one month and the account got suspended and when I had it reconnected, the first call I got was from my mum going off her rocker at me for not paying the bill. When I told her to mind her own business she got lovely and hung up on me like I was the one in the wrong for pointing out that she shouldn't be using her job to look at our bill, which was actually in my boyfriend's name.

The idea that she doesn't have an automatic right to know everything going on in my life is just completely beyond her comprehension.

isn't that the sort of thing that could have easily got your mom fired?