Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Once you take the Plasticpill you never go back

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/health/plastic-chemical-early-death-wellness/index.html

We are collectively poisoning ourselves to insane degrees because of mass addiction to fossil fuels.

gee thanks for telling me now, oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/health/plastic-chemical-early-death-wellness/index.html

We are collectively poisoning ourselves to insane degrees because of mass addiction to fossil fuels.

Reading Death by rubber duck was what pinged me back in the day. It covers all of the above and more - the example around what happened with T-fal was an extremely angering one.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You guys spend so much time thinking about how to shoot our trash into space when we have so much trash and it takes so much rocket fuel. Well, you're not thinking like an engineer. If gravity is an obstacle the answer is obviously to cool our planet's core and reduce the gravitational pull so we can more easily shoot trash rockets into the sun. I don't know why it takes me to come up with the solutions for this stuff.

e: If that's not enough we could try fracturing it into multiple pieces for good measure. I don't think we really need much of that eastern hemisphere or whatever.

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Oct 13, 2021

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
just build a mountain of trash that reaches through the stratosphere and throw stuff out/off the planet and let the sun's gravity do the rest

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

don't mind me just building a space escalator into the side of trash mountain so we can baseball pitch garbage bags into the void

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oh no the garbage bags have returned after going through an elliptical trajectory around the earth who could have seen that coming???

(the garbage bags are a metaphor for carbon)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i hate when you go to toss your bag of trash into space and the drat bottom gives out mid-throw!!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The simplest solution of "generate less trash" continues to evade the modern consumer mind. :hmmyes:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rime posted:

The simplest solution of "generate less trash" continues to evade the modern consumer mind. :hmmyes:

The reduce part of reduce recycle reuse is degrowth which makes number sad.

Number's happiness is humanity's most sacred value.

Don't oppress the sole worldwide religion.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
we don't need a space elevator if we do those anti-alien "weapon" ""designs"" of detonating nukes in deep pits underneath giant plates to launch them into orbit

we just put our trash on the plate. Boom, orbit.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
maybe i should patent the orbital nuclear trash tube idea before elon musk steals it and makes 90 billion more dollars

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

just throw all that poo poo in the ocean. we are really good at doing that already and if it is going to boil, who cares?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
holy poo poo how have we not seen this before we've had thermonuclear weapons for most of a century now we could just pile up a shitload of trash around some decamegaton nuke and blow it up

it's perfect

i'm patenting this

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Sylink posted:

Same, I'm a dumb millenial who rents his parents' house. Though maybe in the next few years if some plans work out :lol:

But we have a lot of grass/lawn, and I've slowly been changing it into productive gardens or wild fields with cover crops and the change in wildlife has been stark. Except for the deer who came in and ate the tops off my carrots lmao.

never move out. enjoy the garden

i saw my first christmas beetle in about 5 years yesterday. not sure why i'm seeing it in october though. lmao

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-27/where-have-all-the-christmas-beetles-gone/10669820 lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rime posted:

Careful, if you keep saying this people might call you a fascist.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i dropped my thing in the right colored bin what the gently caress more do you want from my you loving gently caress

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

holy poo poo how have we not seen this before we've had thermonuclear weapons for most of a century now we could just pile up a shitload of trash around some decamegaton nuke and blow it up

it's perfect

i'm patenting this

i wonder what radioactive microplastics would do to something that ingested them

we should find out

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I'm reading a book on jellyfish and the author is going on a little tangent on corals. Apparently corals have survived ocean acidification and global warming before and we see them emerge onto the fossil record after ocean acidification events.

A scientist the author interviews posits that some coral (particularly in the red sea) will likely survive past the end of the century. Ocean acidification means that they cannot build structures that act as habitat for thousands of fish but the polyps themselves survive and will begin building structures after the oceans return to a suitable pH.

So if we are able to keep global warming under 10 degrees then in tens of thousands of years the ocean might have coral reefs again.

Crack

Ping

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Complications posted:

i wonder what radioactive microplastics would do to something that ingested them

we should find out

if nothing else nuclear medicine and imaging people would be happy their job's easier

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm reading a book on jellyfish and the author is going on a little tangent on corals. Apparently corals have survived ocean acidification and global warming before and we see them emerge onto the fossil record after ocean acidification events.

A scientist the author interviews posits that some coral (particularly in the red sea) will likely survive past the end of the century. Ocean acidification means that they cannot build structures that act as habitat for thousands of fish but the polyps themselves survive and will begin building structures after the oceans return to a suitable pH.

So if we are able to keep global warming under 10 degrees then in tens of thousands of years the ocean might have coral reefs again.

Crack

Ping

Which book? I know a coral guy who could use some good news.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

nomad2020 posted:

Which book? I know a coral guy who could use some good news.

It's called "spineless". I read about the red sea corals in another book as well. It's pretty cool from an adaptation standpoint but it's still pretty sobering to think of how dire even a best case scenario is.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Much of the content within Trasande et al's latest study is demonstrably inaccurate," wrote Eileen Conneely, ACC's senior director of chemical products and technology. She added the study lumped all phthalates into one group and failed to mention that the industry says high-molecular-weight phthalates like DINP and DIDP have lower toxicity than other phthalates.

"Studies such as these fail to consider all phthalates individually and consistently ignore or downplay the existence of science-based, authoritative conclusions regarding the safety of high molecular weight phthalates," Conneely wrote.

Somehow I'm not reassured. Reminds me of the old saying that there's a limit to the number of rat turds that can be present in the grains used for your breakfast cereal. That limit is not zero.

Especially since the rats seem to be the ones setting the limits here.

Rime posted:

We recently switched from garbage cans and blue boxes to automated pickup wheelie bins in black/blue/green. Three sizes, default is the medium, you pay extra for the large and the smallest black garbage bin gets you a yearly discount. A number of my neighbours have upgraded to the largest size and still haul it out for pickup every two weeks like clockwork. I'm kind of impressed.

We only need the smallest bin because I diligently sort out our plastic bags to be sent off to Turkey and burned on the beach.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

Careful, if you keep saying this people might call you a fascist.

he truly is goon thanos, he wants to just snap away half of the trash, and with it, half the profits!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"opportunities for improvement are everywhere!"

So the problem is loving massive, got it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah its bad but at this point it's like the white rabbit reading the list of alice crimes just unfolding infinitely. just another tick on the chalk board on a long line of poo poo we've hosed up permanently.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lostconfused posted:

That's because people just cut them down again. Planting trees would have to be a massive global and long term effort to show any results.

Edit: Arguing if it would work or not is entirely academic and it doesn't matter which side is right. It's never going to happen in the first place so it doesn't even matter if it would work or not.
i agree its moot and we are on the same page.

but for funsies we've dug up hundreds of millions of years-worth of 100000 petragiga tons of carbon that was nicely sequestered. tree's kinda have a somewhat net-zero cycle overall in that at best it'd be taking out carbon from previous burnt trees and poo poo but when they die they mostly decay back into co2. also we've destroyed and used up almost every acre of land for human habitat and farming. and then climate conditions leading to increasingly worse prospects for tree growth and actually turns out photosynth cycle is getting way worse.

like yeah maybe we could 'engineer' (lol) some new trees that grow faster in harsher and more extreme-tolerant conditions and plant it writ large and it would drop co2 a little bit, but then they mature and eventually stall or die and decay back. assuming we razed all our cul-de-sac tract houses + mega ag farmland and gave back all the land to nature (lol)

still should be done to provide some semblance of habitat for whatever meager critters are remaining.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1412974177292742658?s=20

hmm

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
cant wait to go fury road larping in the northwestern wastelands with ma bratnas

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Crack

Ping

The biosphere sustained 90%+ diversity destruction several times from cosmic catastrophes on a power scale humans thankfully may never reach like the permian event asteroids and extreme temperature cycles, and bacteria, plants, fungus, algae, insects, anelids and simple ocean organisms like plankton corals and jellies lived through all that

as always it's not so much a "life on earth" problem as a "all currently existing complex life on earth, including us" problem, and the way we handling this i bet you can add a few zeroes to that tens of thousands

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

uniquitous plastics in consumer products and the food supply poisoning everyone? -- that's okay, I'll keep eating that garbage

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Broken Box posted:

uniquitous plastics in consumer products and the food supply poisoning everyone? -- that's okay, I'll keep eating that garbage

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Even if some humans somehow survive the eco collapse, there's gonna be that scene from Wall-E where he finds a plant, except instead of going on an epic adventure to make sure it survives the human is just going to take a big bite(and then probably spit it out) and then keep rummaging through the trash

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jg8yj8/ted-cruz-says-bitcoin-mining-can-fix-texas-crumbling-electric-grid

What even is this?

Is Ted Cruz suggesting that they pay individual bitcoin miners to shut down their operation during an energy crises in Texas? Does that mean bitcoin miners can effectively hold the state and electric company for a ransom?

What even is that thing about renewables? What the gently caress is this?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
I'm really sick of hearing "oh climate change doomsday scenarios will just scare people into doing nothing."

No I'm pretty sure assuring people, that "there is a chance, we CAN fix this" is lulling them into a false sense of complacency.

The planet has cancer, and the only thing done so far is drinking a lot of kale smoothies.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's going to scare people into swallowing the poison pill climate change solutions from on high, which are just poorly disguised fascist social control and bottom-to-top wealth transfers. Here are some headlines, you've seen some of these already:

How warm do you really need to be?
How much food do you really need to eat?
How much water do you really need to drink?
How much air do you really need to breath?
How much smoke is bad for you, really?
Do you really need shoes with soles?
Do you really need sweaters with sleeves?
Do you really need to see your dying relatives?
Do you really need to choose where you live?
Do you really need to travel?
Do you really need an education?
Do you really need a pet?
Do you really need to hike?
Do you really need to be compensated for socially useful labor?
Do you really need sunlight?
Do you really need more living space than a bedroom?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've written a lot about this in the old thread. I don't know if people require more elaboration or not? You should be paying attention to things like this here: https://unlimitedhangout.com/2021/10/investigative-reports/wall-streets-takeover-of-nature-advances-with-launch-of-new-asset-class/

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

White Rock posted:

I'm really sick of hearing "oh climate change doomsday scenarios will just scare people into doing nothing."

No I'm pretty sure assuring people, that "there is a chance, we CAN fix this" is lulling them into a false sense of complacency.

The planet has cancer, and the only thing done so far is drinking a lot of kale smoothies.

https://twitter.com/MrMatthewTodd/status/1447832590350700547

Unfortunately, we already hit the iceberg and we're drowning in the cold dark sea. But other than that he's correct

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

lollontee posted:

cant wait to go fury road larping in the northwestern wastelands with ma bratnas

The Expanse future implies that humanity at some point managed to collaborate enough to occupy the solar system.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AnemicChipmunk posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jg8yj8/ted-cruz-says-bitcoin-mining-can-fix-texas-crumbling-electric-grid

What even is this?

Is Ted Cruz suggesting that they pay individual bitcoin miners to shut down their operation during an energy crises in Texas? Does that mean bitcoin miners can effectively hold the state and electric company for a ransom?

What even is that thing about renewables? What the gently caress is this?

Demand Response, the idea of paying big electricity users to shut off during peak loads, is a good idea for a more flexible grid. Because unlike a hospital or a neighborhood, a steel recycler has a very specific price point where turning off their arc-furnace to save the grid will be worth it. In a post-market economy, a multi-criteria value analysis could replace pricing for prioritization.

So of course, because we live in a collapsing empire, instead we're wasting electricity on materially worthless electronic tokens and then paying the token-makers extra when our grid is collapsing to suspend wasting energy for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1448310556667138063

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1448315162096775170