Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Franchescanado posted:

I assume it's the same transfers that are on HBO Max streaming?

If so, they still look great and owning them on physical will still be an improvement.

Some of the Nightmares will be getting 4ks next year. With the success of the Friday the 13th box and the Halloween 4ks, they'd be ridiculous not to announce them before Q3 of 2022.

Yeah, same transfers. I've brought it up before, but my big beef is with the audio on Nightmare 1 that's missing some music cues and sound effects. Been that way since 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Shout getting to release the big 3 franchises would be pretty neat even if I think Shout overprices their releases

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Shout getting to release the big 3 franchises would be pretty neat even if I think Shout overprices their releases

Shout's latest F13 box set was under $100 on Amazon last I checked.

Edit: VVV Mine, too!

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 12, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

Shout's latest F13 box set was under $100 on Amazon last I checked.

Well drat 95 is a great price. Curse my impatience

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I didnt mind paying full sticker for that F13 box. its super cool and I'm glad I did (even though I know full well I'll replacing at least a handful of the with UHD's sometime in the future. Probably just Parts 3,4,6 and 7).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

i mostly bought this out of FOMO but it's nice to have Jerry Maguire and Stripes in 4K, not familiar with the other movies and won't be watching them

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cloks posted:

i mostly bought this out of FOMO but it's nice to have Jerry Maguire and Stripes in 4K, not familiar with the other movies and won't be watching them

You can just send the ones you arent watching to me. that's cool.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Good because the last thing you would EVER want to do is watch a movie you're not familiar with...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I'd jump all over that if I hadn't already bought it the day of release.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Spatulater bro! posted:

Good because the last thing you would EVER want to do is watch a movie you're not familiar with...

thank you for understanding

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The first set is going for over $900. The reality is I'm losing out on $900 because I refuse to give up Lawrence of Arabia, which is pretty dumb because there's a digital version available in 4k that I probably should be happy to settle for. And yet...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat I should sell my set if I can get 900. Think of all the movies I could buy from Vinegar Syndrome!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

drat I should sell my set if I can get 900. Think of all the movies I could buy from Vinegar Syndrome!

That's like all of 2022 if you can save it until Black Friday

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MacheteZombie posted:

Sell it and then buy everyone a copy of The Man Who Saves The World.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's selling for about $300. No single 4k disc is worth anywhere near that much to me, but to each his own. :shrug:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

That's like all of 2022 if you can save it until Black Friday

:hmmyes:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

It's selling for about $300. No single 4k disc is worth anywhere near that much to me, but to each his own. :shrug:

The listing on Amazon is $900 but yea I guess that doesn't mean anyone is actually paying that price.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

The listing on Amazon is $900 but yea I guess that doesn't mean anyone is actually paying that price.

Tell that to the people paying wild prices for what should be fairly easily to find vinyl releases :smug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I find it really hard to believe that Lawrence of Arabia won't be sold as a standalone release.

dorium posted:

Tell that to the people paying wild prices for what should be fairly easily to find vinyl releases :smug:

WHO DARES SUMMON MY WRATH?

(Discogs wants lists are your friend.)

(The wrath is because those dickweeds ruined record collecting not because I'm one of those dickheads that will pay 40 bucks for for a Prince album or something of similar popularity and availabilty.)

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 13, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Target currently has a buy 2 get 1 free sale going on for most DVD/bluray/UHDs and there does not seem to be a upper limit on how much you can get free. Briefly had the LotR 4k set, Mission Impossible 4k set, and Kubrick 4k set in my cart and it will give me $80 off the total. Sale goes through 10/16.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just discovered that Amazon has all the Tom Baker Dr Who blu ray sets for around $20 each, which is a substantial discount.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just discovered that Amazon has all the Tom Baker Dr Who blu ray sets for around $20 each, which is a substantial discount.

I'm torn between what a good deal that is and my insistence on never buying anything from Amazon.com.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Has anyone had issues returning broken movies to Best Buy? I ordered a brand new DVD box set from them recently and one of the discs was dislodged during shipment and scratched to hell. I started a return, sent the set back, and then today I get it sent back to ME in the mail by Best Buy, with a letter telling me that they can't accept the return because I opened it. This is insane—how am I supposed to assess the damage without opening it? Quite the scam they've got going on, with that as their policy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

codyclarke posted:

Has anyone had issues returning broken movies to Best Buy? I ordered a brand new DVD box set from them recently and one of the discs was dislodged during shipment and scratched to hell. I started a return, sent the set back, and then today I get it sent back to ME in the mail by Best Buy, with a letter telling me that they can't accept the return because I opened it. This is insane—how am I supposed to assess the damage without opening it? Quite the scam they've got going on, with that as their policy.

Have you tried doing an in store return? A lot of the wage slaves at lovely big box stores don't give a poo poo and will just do the exchange. Half they time they don't even care if you have the receipt.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

Have you tried doing an in store return? A lot of the wage slaves at lovely big box stores don't give a poo poo and will just do the exchange. Half they time they don't even care if you have the receipt.

It's not available in any stores near me, so I don't know how that'd go down, but yeah it might be worth a shot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

codyclarke posted:

It's not available in any stores near me, so I don't know how that'd go down, but yeah it might be worth a shot.

I've never seen a return policy that didn't do exchanges on defective merchandise. That's weird.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

The first set is going for over $900. The reality is I'm losing out on $900 because I refuse to give up Lawrence of Arabia, which is pretty dumb because there's a digital version available in 4k that I probably should be happy to settle for. And yet...

I think it's cool to have high value items in my collection

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Sirotan posted:

Target currently has a buy 2 get 1 free sale going on for most DVD/bluray/UHDs and there does not seem to be a upper limit on how much you can get free. Briefly had the LotR 4k set, Mission Impossible 4k set, and Kubrick 4k set in my cart and it will give me $80 off the total. Sale goes through 10/16.

Hmmmm that Demons 1&2 4K is $60 on Target but $85 on amazon… I wonder if amazons price will change once we get closer to release day 🤔

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

When da gently caress is the Scream Factory sale

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Roth posted:

I'm pretty sure it's starting late this year. If I recall correctly it'll be on the 16th.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I got my first DVD on May 14, 2000 and I've been collecting ever since. So when I browse through my collection it's like a visual history of how my tastes have evolved over time. Putting my DVDs in a binder would be like putting a piece of myself... in a binder? I dunno.

Ultimately you have to decide how much stuff you keep, unless you're a hoarder that keeps everything - or you live in a mansion, I guess. I have a two-room flat. I still have my CDs in boxes in the attic, but they'll go to a 2nd hand shop if I ever have to move again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I find it really hard to believe that Lawrence of Arabia won't be sold as a standalone release.

We've been saying that for a year and a half already

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Roth posted:

The week of the 18th. Arrow sale should be the same week too. And then next month is Criterion and Black Friday. So just go ahead and take out a loan or two.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

We've been saying that for a year and a half already

It’s absurd. Is it a window they have to leave open? Rights issues? Lack of will?

Just nutty that it’s right there to put out. Let me buy it, Sony. Please.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

It’s absurd. Is it a window they have to leave open? Rights issues? Lack of will?

Just nutty that it’s right there to put out. Let me buy it, Sony. Please.

They released Bridge on the River Kwai 4k so I don't know what logic they could possibly be using to not release Lawrence unless yea maybe there's a rights issue. I mean, sure, I get not wanting to release it until 6 months or maybe even a year after the Columbia Classics set, because you don't want to undercut that but those sets are all gone, it's not like they're still trying to sell those.

Anyone watch the Green Knight UHD that came out yesterday? I picked it up but won't be watching it until after October.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

They released Bridge on the River Kwai 4k so I don't know what logic they could possibly be using to not release Lawrence unless yea maybe there's a rights issue. I mean, sure, I get not wanting to release it until 6 months or maybe even a year after the Columbia Classics set, because you don't want to undercut that but those sets are all gone, it's not like they're still trying to sell those.

Anyone watch the Green Knight UHD that came out yesterday? I picked it up but won't be watching it until after October.

It's spooky enough to count for the October challenge, if you'd like.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I still have the foil packaged SUPERBIT edition DVD of Lawrence of Arabia if any of you guys need to borrow it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

It's spooky enough to count for the October challenge, if you'd like.

ooooh, well guess im rewatching it this month then. it was just going to sit there till November.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually haven't seen it yet, I just blind bought it because by all accounts it's a visually stunning film that seems like it would be amazing on UHD.

But yea, I'll probably watch it this week then if it qualifies as horror or at least horror adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I actually haven't seen it yet, I just blind bought it because by all accounts it's a visually stunning film that seems like it would be amazing on UHD.

But yea, I'll probably watch it this week then if it qualifies as horror or at least horror adjacent.

It’s not, like, scary horror, but the whole thing is supernatural and spooky that it totally fits the challenge.