Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Put on a wig, a polo shirt, and a bad accent, and pretend to be the fancy fridge repair person.

No can do, if we put the food in the beer fridge then the beer has to go someplace else, and we obviously wouldn't want the fancy fridge repair person to be drinking our beer. I would have to be present to store the beer in my stomach. It's all quite the conundrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still funny how literally all these 'smart' devices are made exclusively for the use cases of single white men living in apartments.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still funny how literally all these 'smart' devices are made exclusively for the use cases of single white men living in apartments.

Smart thermostats are p cool

And if I had kids I would definitely want the smart fridge that emails you when you runow of stuff, kids will just munch on the poo poo that you had planned for dinner, so knowing to pick some up would be useful. I guess this is true with roommates.

Other poo poo is absolutely for tech bros tho

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The wifi lightbulbs are a godsend in our house, as is voice control of the TV when your kids know they want Dora the Explorer but would need 10 minutes to type that in.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It's only a matter of time before these helpful monitoring features are used to deny warranty claims, if it's not already happening.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ponzicar posted:

It's only a matter of time before these helpful monitoring features are used to deny warranty claims, if it's not already happening.

Apple already does this with replacement parts.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/gwestr/status/1447592750216478724?t=r8UoglvV8W7Tm4sXSEAR6Q&s=19

Neat!

A friend of mine talked to an NVIDIA engineer in Silicon Valley who is working on the AI that Tesla, GM, Ford, etc. are all using to develop their own autopilot systems to deploy ASAP.

Said engineer claimed all vacations at NVIDIA are suspended until 2022 so they can complete the chips.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I got 39kwh for free at an Electrify America charger yesterday and I was wondering why.

This is why;

“ Fun fact about electrify America/greenlots: They can’t process more than 168 simultaneous charging requests at a time. If more than that occurs the servers throw away the request and the charger either wigs out and stops working or goes into freevend mode.”

Who in heck do they have writing that stuff?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VideoGameVet posted:

Who in heck do they have writing that stuff?

People who are exhausted and havent been on vacation :rimshot:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

thecluckmeme posted:

Seriously, gently caress Samsung

:argh::hf::mad:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My 15 year old KitchenAid has the original ice maker still functioning, and I am loathing the day I have to replace it.

My wife wants to get a side by side but I want one of those 4 door multi zone ones.

I've got a "French door" fridge with 3 doors and it is loving amazing. I love the extra width and never having to worry about space. I was going to get a four door, but heard too many stories about the zones getting wonky.

I would also never buy one that sends me loving emails or twitter alerts. If you stand there for too long with the door open, it beeps like a truck backing up. That's all I need and/or want.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 12, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like a refrigerator would be legitimately strained to keep food at a safe temperature if you were opening the door enough times in a row to average 44 times a day.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like a refrigerator would be legitimately strained to keep food at a safe temperature if you were opening the door enough times in a row to average 44 times a day.

I'd be worried about all the noise the butter was making

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A general domestic one won't work very well + the compressor is likely to fail pretty fast. Commercial ones (think like a fridge case in a gas station) are designed with different compressor size/duty cycle and internal fans for moving air around after the door is opened/closed.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's kids guys. As soon as kids can forage around I'm the fridge and cupboards for snacks they do. They also like to stand there with the door open staring into the fridge as of it were some empty abyss or eldritch horror, only to close it a minute later having gotten nothing.

I'm in my 40s and I still open the fridge, stare at it, close the fridge, go back 5 minutes and repeat the cycle somehow expecting the contents to have changed. I refuse to alter my ways.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mister Facetious posted:

People who are exhausted and havent been on vacation :rimshot:

Yes. That would be a good bet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still funny how literally all these 'smart' devices are made exclusively for the use cases of single white men living in apartments. tacking on 20% extra to the price for questionable usage

Fixed

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

At least they can't get to the thermostat yet.

I just got goosebumps, and I suspect every other dad who read this did as well.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I'm in my 40s and I still open the fridge, stare at it, close the fridge, go back 5 minutes and repeat the cycle somehow expecting the contents to have changed. I refuse to alter my ways.

I still do this on occasion, but to counter the effect I've been buying extra things that I forget about a couple days later.

Let me tell you, I have never been more excited to see a random sugar free jello cup in my life.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

In case anyone is bored enough to put together a greatest hits compilation, someone at the white house as been reading Wired and wants to know about all the stupid poo poo people are doing with biometrics. Obviously there's not going to be any positive impact because market-based solutions, etc. - but it's a good place to scream into the void if that's your thing.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

I see these kinds of "Everything is on fire, the employees have checked out, and the endeavor is hours away from failure" kinds of stories about multiple tech endeavors and they pretty much never pan out. It smells of hyperbole. LIke:

quote:

They need a $2 billion data center and what they have is one proto board on a lab bench.

Yeah I don't believe that. Elon is a dumbass but there's no way their lab is just one proto board, I don't care how incompetent he is.

ryde fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 13, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I just saw an add on the front of some junkmail about an LG fridge with that LCD glass*

There's also this one that has a camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBJtx6DRZg

I'll just stick to opening the loving door like a luddite, I suppose.

* This stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_6DfedKqWU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Couldn't you just have a fridge with a smoked glass door and a button on the outside that turns on a bright internal light, if the idea is to usually not be able to see in your fridge except on command?

Or just have a loving window in your fridge door you can look in through

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gort posted:

Couldn't you just have a fridge with a smoked glass door and a button on the outside that turns on a bright internal light, if the idea is to usually not be able to see in your fridge except on command?

Maybe.

People who sell smart glass claim it’s energy smart, but I don’t know how it compares to a partially silvered triple pane or whatever. The “put bright lights on the other side” tactic isn’t an option for house windows.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gort posted:

Or just have a loving window in your fridge door you can look in through

A window? You mean like many commercial fridges have and all retail stores that sell chilled and frozen items?

No. No, we can't possibly do something like that.

That's just being ridiculous!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just saw an add on the front of some junkmail about an LG fridge with that LCD glass*

*knocks on door*

Ah, yep, I see that I still have the ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard that is kept in the door

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Galaxy brain: no door, like the meat section at the supermarket

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the point of the fridge tv/camera thing is to add a wildly huge markup to a fridge when you're selling a fridge to the kind of person who wants some jetsons gimmick fridge

there's nothing stopping a person from buying a commercial fridge with a glass door in front, except that it would look weird in your house

e: doing a little price shopping and the cheapest samsung "smart" fridge is still a thousand dollars more expensive than the cheapest brand new commercial glass door fridge i can find. the commercial fridge is a bit more expensive than the cheapest possible residential fridge but still pretty within range as fridge prices go

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 13, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Maybe.

People who sell smart glass claim it’s energy smart, but I don’t know how it compares to a partially silvered triple pane or whatever. The “put bright lights on the other side” tactic isn’t an option for house windows.

cheaper by adding another e component that become e waste and has worse Insulation then just a solid door?

Also maybe normal people should consider switching to chest fridges and freezers, like not just for basements, like for normal kitchen use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fridge on top, freezer drawer pulls out on bottom. Best of both worlds, but it can’t have an icemaker*, so no one wants them.

*Someone has probably tried to put an icemaker in one anyway.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

Smart thermostats are p cool

And if I had kids I would definitely want the smart fridge that emails you when you runow of stuff, kids will just munch on the poo poo that you had planned for dinner, so knowing to pick some up would be useful. I guess this is true with roommates.

Other poo poo is absolutely for tech bros tho

How does that work? Do you scan stuff when you take it out of the fridge or does it have like cameras with object recognition or a small gnome in the back with a phone?

Tech bros might love all this IOT stuff but I feel like it gets a lot more useful with large households and large houses. I live alone in a small apartment so it's really not a chore to manage the thermostat or lighting or keep track of stuff in the fridge. If I were living with a bunch of other people in a large place it could probably have some uses.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

there's nothing stopping a person from buying a commercial fridge with a glass door in front, except that it would look weird in your house

I see you've never been around commercial refrigeration.

First of all, it's going to use a ton more power. Secondly all of it is very, very loud. Much too loud for use in a typical home.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Commercial fridges tend to be noisy, more expensive, and much less energy efficient than a residential fridge. Glass door residential fridges certainly exist for the folks who want one.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Platystemon posted:

Fridge on top, freezer drawer pulls out on bottom. Best of both worlds, but it can’t have an icemaker*, so no one wants them.
I have one. Turns out a fridge is secretly also an icemaker.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Platystemon posted:

*Someone has probably tried to put an icemaker in one anyway.

This is my fridge/freezer combo, and it has an ice bin in the freezer that produces ice, so... yeah, it definitely can have an icemaker.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cheesus posted:

https://twitter.com/gwestr/status/1447592750216478724?t=r8UoglvV8W7Tm4sXSEAR6Q&s=19

Neat!

A friend of mine talked to an NVIDIA engineer in Silicon Valley who is working on the AI that Tesla, GM, Ford, etc. are all using to develop their own autopilot systems to deploy ASAP.

Said engineer claimed all vacations at NVIDIA are suspended until 2022 so they can complete the chips.

Yeah, one of my friends works on chips there and he's been non-stop for 7 months already this year. Normally the crunch for a chip release for him is like 1-3 months so he's burning out quickly.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
All for a product that isn't ready and isn't likely to ever be "ready" for anything other than driving on an empty expanse, genius.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mercury_Storm posted:

All for a product that isn't ready and isn't likely to ever be "ready" for anything other than driving on an empty expanse, genius.
The same friend claims to know more about the automotive industry than I and that all manufacturers are chomping at the bit to release self-driving cars as monthly subscription service directly to customers which if successful, would rival whatever they make from dealers.

With what I've experienced in the software industry, I can see a C-level conversation like:

"Well based on those injury and fatality numbers, 'ready enough' isn't good enough! Just turn it off until they fix it!"

"And lower our MRR? No way!"

I told him that it made me think of 2022 as the year of Judgement Day but way stupider and he just nodded sadly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Owling Howl posted:

How does that work? Do you scan stuff when you take it out of the fridge or does it have like cameras with object recognition or a small gnome in the back with a phone?

Tech bros might love all this IOT stuff but I feel like it gets a lot more useful with large households and large houses. I live alone in a small apartment so it's really not a chore to manage the thermostat or lighting or keep track of stuff in the fridge. If I were living with a bunch of other people in a large place it could probably have some uses.

I have no idea, I just know that its one of the things I see touted as a reason to buy a smart fridge. I'll never have the money to buy one unless I marry rich, and its a bit late in life for that.

Smart thermostats are handy for anyone who likes to go out, and so has an unexpected schedule, or have kids that like to try and mess with the thermostat, etc etc.

And I don't think anyone find managing lighting a chore, its just that some of us grew up on sci fi like star trek and want rooms to respond to us walking in because its cool.

There is nothing wrong with wanting something or doing something impractical but harmless because its cool.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Using your phone as a remote control for all your appliances seems fairly useful, but so much of this IOT poo poo is solutions looking for problems. Although the real problem they are trying to solve is how to convince consumers to pay recurring fees for what used to be a one time purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Just make every appliance KDE Connect compatible. :colbert:

I'm hardly even joking…