Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Eej posted:

I don't think it's possible to make strong cards that never get banned, actually. Eventually you'll overshoot or an unforeseen meta develops. I don't think Card Design Quality scales infinitely with Time Spent either.

The reality is that people aren't devoting every hour of their life in designing new cards for the next sets and sometimes they can look at their past work and think maybe Oko would be fairer if we changed some numbers and we have the ability to do that in a digital environment. It also takes less effort to do than trying to make a functional, fair replacement in a new set with a limited number of cards per set.

I don't know how the concept of "maybe they wanna fix old cards and now the technology exists to do that easily and quickly" is so hard to understand.

I understand the concept it’s not hard to understand. I don’t have to agree with it!!

I think looking back is good and I think mistakes are ok - I don’t have a problem, personally, with bans.

I think wizards should be more transparent and should make more scheduled changes. It feels very scattershot right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
What was the consensus on Tibalt’s, will I get WC’s for crafting a set of 4? (Since it is still legal in standard)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Well, at least there's always MODO.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

uggy posted:

I understand the concept it’s not hard to understand. I don’t have to agree with it!!

I think looking back is good and I think mistakes are ok - I don’t have a problem, personally, with bans.

I think wizards should be more transparent and should make more scheduled changes. It feels very scattershot right now

The frequent bans have been good and changed the format up a ton when it gets stale. Even if nothing was overpowered, it would still get solved and boring.

Keep doing scattershot bans the game has been fun

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Huxley posted:

Like, 3 months from now:

"We changed the abilities on the Digital Only cards in Historic a while back as an experiment, and we were happy with the results! So as a further experiment, we're going to remove Memory Lapse from the Suspended List, but change its casting cost to UU (or 1U or 1UU). We believe the increased commitment to blue will keep it from being such a back-breaking tempo play in the early game. The card will also receive a new set logo, the Arena logo used on Arena-only cards and cards in the event where we weakened some banned cards, as a visual signifier that the card is different in Historic than in paper. Please remember that these changes will ONLY be made to cards legal in Historic. Cards currently legal in ANY physical format (Standard, Pioneer, Modern, etc) will always reflect the printed versions of the cards.

"This is a test run, so let us know what you think!"

This was likely always the plan from the moment Arena showed that it could be viable and profitable but I wonder how much the pandemic sped things up.

Edit: Wait, how does this affect Historic as a competitive organized play format? Seems like that could a fairly big problem as in person play eventually comes back.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 13, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Born in Bexhill posted:

What was the consensus on Tibalt’s, will I get WC’s for crafting a set of 4? (Since it is still legal in standard)

cards that get outright banned will have wildcard refunds, cards that are suspended won't. the only exception is when cards get banned multiple times over multiple B+R's, so you can't (say) get 4x mythics when a card gets banned from standard and then another 4x mythics when it gets banned from historic a month later

Mat Cauthon posted:

Edit: Wait, how does this affect Historic as a competitive organized play format? Seems like that could a fairly big problem as in person play eventually comes back.

historic from day 1 has had cards in it that were not playable in paper (as in the physical cards did not exist). you have never been able to play historic in full in paper; it's always been an arena-specific format

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't care about any of this since I don't play historic and even if I did I only like to build and play decks that are off-meta anyway lol

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Time posted:

The frequent bans have been good and changed the format up a ton when it gets stale. Even if nothing was overpowered, it would still get solved and boring.

Keep doing scattershot bans the game has been fun

I don’t disagree - I think with the way they currently have seasons occurring every month that it would not be a bad idea to have bans/unbans every month to keep things fresh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They should start by banning islands

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm picturing historic events at meatspace events with cool OLED touch tables and tablets or some poo poo

lets get cyberpunk

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Goddammit, jumpstart won't give me Slivers! How many things are there :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

smarxist posted:

i'm picturing historic events at meatspace events with cool OLED touch tables and tablets or some poo poo

lets get cyberpunk

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

flatluigi posted:

cards that get outright banned will have wildcard refunds, cards that are suspended won't. the only exception is when cards get banned multiple times over multiple B+R's, so you can't (say) get 4x mythics when a card gets banned from standard and then another 4x mythics when it gets banned from historic a month later

historic from day 1 has had cards in it that were not playable in paper (as in the physical cards did not exist). you have never been able to play historic in full in paper; it's always been an arena-specific format

I think they should make Historic in paper real and bust open the Reserved List so we can play Merfolk

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

There are literally 46 different packets and only two of them are slivers

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are some tricks to Jumpstart. Theoretically, you'll always be offered at least one pack you've never taken before. But it seems not to remember correctly what you have and haven't taken so that's not reliable.

The second trick actually does work as intended. Basically, you will never be given a 3 color deck (outside of the 5c sliver one). So if you are gunning for the RW sliver deck, you have to take either a red deck, a white deck, or another red white deck as your first pick. If you take a deck with black, green, or blue in it, you CANNOT be offered a red white deck.

If you take a UG deck first, all your 2nd picks will be mono blue, mono green, or also UG.

I think you can be offered the 5c deck at any time, or maybe it's only offered first, or maybe only after you take a 1c deck first? Honestly, I remember reading some rule about it but can't find it anywhere now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There are literally 46 different packets and only two of them are slivers
Fucksakes!

Also, are "perpetual" and "conjure" online-only keywords? They seem to be taking advantage of the whole "perfectly fair all-seeing computer keeping track of everything" and seem like they'd be a bit of a bear to make work at the table. It feels more like they're dipping a toe into Hearthstone's design space, where they can do poo poo like "create literally any card that exists in the game, regardless of if you own it, at random".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Fucksakes!

Also, are "perpetual" and "conjure" online-only keywords? They seem to be taking advantage of the whole "perfectly fair all-seeing computer keeping track of everything" and seem like they'd be a bit of a bear to make work at the table. It feels more like they're dipping a toe into Hearthstone's design space, where they can do poo poo like "create literally any card that exists in the game, regardless of if you own it, at random".

Yep. Some of the cards in JHH are brand new digital only and they made digital only keywords. Seek is another one, it grabs a random card of a certain type from your library

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

CapnAndy posted:

Fucksakes!

Perpetual is pretty fun, especially davriels withering because people forget about it and try to recur their 0 health creature pretty frequently

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Huxley posted:

Like, 3 months from now:

"We changed the abilities on the Digital Only cards in Historic a while back as an experiment, and we were happy with the results! So as a further experiment, we're going to remove Memory Lapse from the Suspended List, but change its casting cost to UU (or 1U or 1UU). We believe the increased commitment to blue will keep it from being such a back-breaking tempo play in the early game. The card will also receive a new set logo, the Arena logo used on Arena-only cards and cards in the event where we weakened some banned cards, as a visual signifier that the card is different in Historic than in paper. Please remember that these changes will ONLY be made to cards legal in Historic. Cards currently legal in ANY physical format (Standard, Pioneer, Modern, etc) will always reflect the printed versions of the cards.

"This is a test run, so let us know what you think!"
Ugh this is so well-written, I can't stop reading it

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I have been barking up this tree forever. That and the squirrel swarm.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Remember that the second deck offered will be one that guarantees your deck is two or fewer colors only (with the exception of the 5-color sliver deck, which can be offered no matter what). So if you want the R/W slivers deck and you pick a deck that contains colors other than Red or white in your first pick, you'll never be offered the R/W slivers deck in your second pick.
e,fb serves me right for not reading

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Fucksakes!

Maybe that's :thejoke: but...

https://scryfall.com/card/j21/28/pool-of-vigorous-growth

lol

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Blorange posted:

Lunarch Veteran is a key card for UW, specifically because the lifegain lets you force a race when they have fliers of their own. If they have bigger fliers and bigger ground creatures then something went wrong on your deck construction, what were you spending mana on?

I'm not sure why you say removal is hard to come by, the set is loaded with removal options. It's also loaded with things that draw cards or come back, so 1-1 removals that don't exile or reshuffle a creature (curse of the drowned) are a lot less effective.

I had one veteran, but that didn't help every game. In one, it was drawn far too late to make a difference. The removal I got was not that useful. This deck had a ton of disturb creatures, when they worked they were great, but on a couple of occasions they just couldn't keep up.

little munchkin posted:

removal is overrated, all it does is kill a single threat your opponent has. if you draft good proactive cards then you can just ignore your opponents threats and kill them faster than they can kill you.

let's see a draft log.

That plan worked in one of the games I played, where I could attack past them and not get beaten up. For the others, I repeatedly got lands of one color and mana of another, or was essentially out-aggroed. Your statement about removal being overrated doesn't make sense considering that in several of the matches drawing removal was the difference in who won. (And one loss from incorrectly using it, but that's on me.)

Does this work for looking through the draft? 17lands didn't record the draft, just the decks.

Going through it again, I could have picked up another Candletrap or one or two three and four drops, which may have helped. Is it possible to have had too many two drops? Both blue and white seemed open.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Its great to see them finally using the digital nature if the game to it's full benefit! The future looks bright for Historic again finally, after so many 'hands off' adds to the format.

Trickery and Lapse going is just icing on the cake at this point.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm fine with them doing whatever they want with Historic, but I still wish they'd have a second eternal format on Arena that remains true to paper, even if it just starts with Kaladesh and they never get around to adding older sets. I don't think there's any way they're doing that though, unless it's as a consolation offering when they finally close MODO someday.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 14, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sinteres posted:

I'm fine with them doing whatever they want with Historic, but I still wish they'd have a second eternal format on Arena that remains true to paper, even if it just starts with Kaladesh and they never get around to adding older sets. I don't think there's any way they're doing that though, unless it's as a consolation offering when they finally close MODO someday.

pioneer is still something they're planning to do and are working on it behind the scenes still

there were a few articles going around saying that it was dead, but it was misreporting -- they weren't able to fit in the 'pioneer masters' set this year as planned + people jumped to conclusions, but as it turned out they couldn't do pioneer masters because they were doing historic horizons and that was sucking up all the dev time they could fit in between the cracks of all the standard sets coming out

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

pioneer is still something they're planning to do and are working on it behind the scenes still

there were a few articles going around saying that it was dead, but it was misreporting -- they weren't able to fit in the 'pioneer masters' set this year as planned + people jumped to conclusions, but as it turned out they couldn't do pioneer masters because they were doing historic horizons and that was sucking up all the dev time they could fit in between the cracks of all the standard sets coming out

This doesn't make me feel very optimistic that Pioneer is ever coming as an actual format even if more sets get added at some point:

Pausing Work on Pioneer Masters

Historic experienced rapid growth and change over the last year, and it developed into a unique and compelling format. We are excited to have Historic feel distinct, and we want to continue to build on that.

Unfortunately, our schedule doesn't have room to focus on growing that unique identity for Historic and fully supporting Pioneer. Some steps toward Pioneer will come as part of Historic's growth, but we have paused work toward the Pioneer Masters sets for the time being. We do not anticipate a Pioneer Masters release in the next year. We have a solid plan for those sets, but for now, we will be focusing on expanding Historic in other ways.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sinteres posted:

This doesn't make me feel very optimistic that Pioneer is ever coming as an actual format even if more sets get added at some point:

Pausing Work on Pioneer Masters

Historic experienced rapid growth and change over the last year, and it developed into a unique and compelling format. We are excited to have Historic feel distinct, and we want to continue to build on that.

Unfortunately, our schedule doesn't have room to focus on growing that unique identity for Historic and fully supporting Pioneer. Some steps toward Pioneer will come as part of Historic's growth, but we have paused work toward the Pioneer Masters sets for the time being. We do not anticipate a Pioneer Masters release in the next year. We have a solid plan for those sets, but for now, we will be focusing on expanding Historic in other ways.

yes, that's the bit that made people spin up the misreporting -- there's later statements that say that it's still in the plans, including people on the arena dev team outright saying that they're still working on it within the last few weeks on discord

like i said in my post it was before they'd announced what they were doing with AFR or the existence of JHH; the former meant they didn't have the low-mechanic core set break like they've had in previous years and the latter meant they had a LOT of new mechanics to implement including some that were brand new to arena, meaning it took priority over other things they could spend development time on

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

yes, that's the bit that made people spin up the misreporting -- there's later statements that say that it's still in the plans, including people on the arena dev team outright saying that they're still working on it within the last few weeks on discord

like i said in my post it was before they'd announced what they were doing with AFR or the existence of JHH; the former meant they didn't have the low-mechanic core set break like they've had in previous years and the latter meant they had a LOT of new mechanics to implement including some that were brand new to arena, meaning it took priority over other things they could spend development time on

Did they ever say they're adding Pioneer as a format specifically is in the plans, or adding Pioneer cards to Historic? There's a huge difference.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sinteres posted:

Did they ever say they're adding Pioneer as a format specifically is in the plans, or adding Pioneer cards to Historic? There's a huge difference.

the former, for a long while now

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welp from Diamond 1 to risking dropping out of Diamond 2. I'm feeling pretty beat up, just a string of losses and I don't know what I can do except take a break.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Onmi posted:

Welp from Diamond 1 to risking dropping out of Diamond 2. I'm feeling pretty beat up, just a string of losses and I don't know what I can do except take a break.

take that break!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fell Fire posted:

I had one veteran, but that didn't help every game. In one, it was drawn far too late to make a difference. The removal I got was not that useful. This deck had a ton of disturb creatures, when they worked they were great, but on a couple of occasions they just couldn't keep up.

That plan worked in one of the games I played, where I could attack past them and not get beaten up. For the others, I repeatedly got lands of one color and mana of another, or was essentially out-aggroed. Your statement about removal being overrated doesn't make sense considering that in several of the matches drawing removal was the difference in who won. (And one loss from incorrectly using it, but that's on me.)

Does this work for looking through the draft? 17lands didn't record the draft, just the decks.

Going through it again, I could have picked up another Candletrap or one or two three and four drops, which may have helped. Is it possible to have had too many two drops? Both blue and white seemed open.

p1p9 could have been consider which would have been nice for your deck. falkenrath perforator is pretty bad and you're not really seeing red signals so why bother
p2p4 should have been search party captain for sure.
p3p4 revenge of the drowned is the kind of removal you want. sure they can draw the card again if they want but instant speed lets you set up a really strong timing. castaway reads good but the 17lands stats on it are pretty bad
p3p6 skaab wranger is pretty bomby and seeing one this late was a gift you missed out on. this is i mean when i say that you don't need removal if you have good proactive cards. it's cheap, can attack, and takes over games when things go long
p3p7 wrangler is def better than triskadekaphile as well. don't think you need zombies to make it good, it's a house in any blue deck. disturb actually plays decently with it because it means you can trade off creatures and still have the bodies to activate it

you did see strong answers to your opponent's cards but you missed out on them. the interaction you did have, candletrap, and drowed in the cemetery, are so much worse because as auras they leave a body behind for your opponent to sacrifice, turn on coven, use activated abilities, etc. they're also real bad if your opponent is trying to block.

the rest of your draft looks solid though, you find an open color pair and really get hooked up. but look up the 17lands stats on wrangler and drowned, then look up the stats of the cards you took over them

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 14, 2021

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

flatluigi posted:

take that break!

Takin' that break.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Born in Bexhill posted:

You will not get WC’s refunded for Tibalt. You only receive WCs for cards that are banned outright (outside of brawl).

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fell Fire posted:

This is a filthy looking deck, but bad beats can screw over even the best decks

Munchkin alredy went over your draft picks, but I should also mention that Larder Zombie, Falcon Abomination, and Flip the Switch should basically never be in the sideboard of any blue deck

Could have definetely cut some dud cards to put those in, like Sungold Barrage (conditional removal is rarely good. at best its a 1 for 1 trade at a decent rate, at worst its a completely dead card. its just not worth it) Flare of Faith (not the kind of trick UW wants, Nebelgast and Blessed Defiance are way better tricks for you) and Locked in the Cementery (Munchkin already mentioned why its bad)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

denimgorilla posted:

You will not get WC’s refunded for Tibalt. You only receive WCs for cards that are banned outright (outside of brawl).

You received wildcards for Winota when it was banned in Historic, even though it was still legal in Standard.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Jabor posted:

You received wildcards for Winota when it was banned in Historic, even though it was still legal in Standard.

This poo poo is so confusing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

denimgorilla posted:

This poo poo is so confusing.

flatluigi posted:

tomorrow you will get wildcard refunds for tibalt and brainstorm, since they're banned; you won't get refunds for memory lapse because it's suspended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Onmi posted:

Takin' that break.

Taking a look over the losses, I really am just being crushed by Green and White. I wonder how I can improve my list for that match up.