Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I always had a weird relationship with SRPGs. In theory I really liked them but in practice they would lose me because they would get too grindy, RNG-dependant or both. The fateful day I found OG1 for the GBA I realized that it was 99% of what I wanted in a SRPG with none of the things that made me drop them and I've been in love with the series since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kanos posted:

Super robots don't tend to have huge accuracy problems without spells in F/FF as long as you're keeping up on their mobility upgrades, since robot mobility in the F/FF system directly influences accuracy. The only time it's really a problem is the awkward middle stretch where you're capped at 5 upgrade slots but the enemies continue scaling, and the solution to that is "okay Dancougar you get to wait a few stages until I can upgrade you again".

I don't remember really needing to use Strike on supers that much except against boss enemies.

You don't unlock upgrades to 10 slots until right before the final stretch of the game. You might be able to hit normal bosses, but against any of the Banpresto Originals, you'll be lucky to see anything above zero for any supers aside from the likes of Ideon/Gunbuster/Mazinkaiser at max mobility, and even your best reals will need Focus up to have a reasonable chance to hit (not that they'd do much damage; even with Valor/Soul it's only a couple thousand for most of them).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EclecticTastes posted:

You don't unlock upgrades to 10 slots until right before the final stretch of the game. You might be able to hit normal bosses, but against any of the Banpresto Originals, you'll be lucky to see anything above zero for any supers aside from the likes of Ideon/Gunbuster/Mazinkaiser at max mobility, and even your best reals will need Focus up to have a reasonable chance to hit (not that they'd do much damage; even with Valor/Soul it's only a couple thousand for most of them).

Oh yeah you'll basically always need spells to hit bosses in F/FF. I just don't remember it being a huge issue to mulch grunts without spell usage.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kanos posted:

Oh yeah you'll basically always need spells to hit bosses in F/FF. I just don't remember it being a huge issue to mulch grunts without spell usage.

By the last few chapters, the vast majority of grunts will be real robots as Gundam and L-Gaim completely absorb the rest of the plot, so your supers will have a lot of trouble hitting them without spending SP on Strike. It's probably even worse in F, honestly, since SP pools are so small. Like, F Final is manageable, if you're careful, but you basically can't use a single point of SP from your supers at all in maps with Guests in F if you want to shoot them down, and even then, it's not even close to a guarantee that you'll succeed (fortunately, all of them have a timer for when they'll bail out in F).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I mostly remember popping bosses in like two hits with Daunt abuse in FF because the morale system is wild in that game. :shobon:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Kanos posted:

I mostly remember popping bosses in like two hits with Daunt abuse in FF because the morale system is wild in that game. :shobon:

Well yeah, but spamming Daunt is something less experienced players would never realize is the way to win at Old SRW.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think i got into SRW by watching G Gundam on a whim, getting really into it, and going "oh hey theres a super robot wars z lp, is this the one iwth g gundam??" (no, but it got me hooked on mechas anyways despite only knowing bits and pieces of the series within)

tho... the only srw game i've played so far is 3/4ths of J :v:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I was young, stupid, and getting into fanfiction, and I discovered this interesting series called Evangelion, so looked it up on Youtube, finding attack compilations from A3 and MX. That got me interested in the series, and later I found OG2 at a game store and picked it up. Been following it more or less since, though only played the new english titles and the J translation.

Also, looks like the new OG battleship in 30 will have a bunch of little upgrades through the new system. It looked like you could probably boost the command aura to +15/20% accuracy and evasion, among other things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've always liked robots but I got into SRW when someone introduced me to Advance and I've been playing ever since.

Edit: What time/where is the stream BTW?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 15, 2021

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I've always liked robots but I got into SRW when someone introduced me to Advance and I've been playing ever since.

Edit: What time/where is the stream BTW?

11pm EST

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDwzdgmugcs in a bit less than two hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks kindly.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

30 has the potential to be a real long game in the end with all the DLC. They give over 40 extra missions all combined.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

30 has the potential to be a real long game in the end with all the DLC. They give over 40 extra missions all combined.

I am assuming they are going to be like the bonus DLC missions from the previous games and mostly be silly short things

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I am assuming they are going to be like the bonus DLC missions from the previous games and mostly be silly short things

Most likely, the only wild card is the DLC missions with new units. With the way they are doing level select in this I could see them being actual stages that show up on the map.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Stream soon, so, for my DLC wishlist, just give me Virtual On and I'll be just dandy.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

Stream soon, so, for my DLC wishlist, just give me Virtual On and I'll be just dandy.

Will the DLC have new series included? I'd rather they include additional series only if they can be fully folded into the main story in some fashion, and otherwise stick to OG units/characters. I'm happy if they just give me the Dynamic General Guardians or the Masou Kishin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Will the DLC have new series included? I'd rather they include additional series only if they can be fully folded into the main story in some fashion, and otherwise stick to OG units/characters. I'm happy if they just give me the Dynamic General Guardians or the Masou Kishin.

I think they previously said "no new series" but with the series lineup there are ways they could get around that. (Most likely Unicorn Gundam, least likely Grendizer)

Since Cybuster is already confirmed I doubt we'll get anyone else except maybe Shu.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

I think they previously said "no new series" but with the series lineup there are ways they could get around that. (Most likely Unicorn Gundam, least likely Grendizer)

Since Cybuster is already confirmed I doubt we'll get anyone else except maybe Shu.

IIRC they already said the Unicorn won't be DLC.

Which I interpret as "it's a (likely secret) unit in the main game already" because there's no reason to have Banana and not the Unicorn.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Is this the first time they've done a stream with subtitles?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I have a very fond memory of visiting a friend of mine in 2001 who was introducing me to Gundam and other things and said "hey, I need to show you this cool game" and loads up Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden on a modded PSX - I was really shocked by "holy moly a cool Japanese song at the title screen!"

Then he loaded a random stage and was said "Let me show you this robot called Combattler V." I still remember what my face must've looked like during CHOOOOOOOODENJIIIIII TATSUMAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

It was a good time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaze Dragon posted:

IIRC they already said the Unicorn won't be DLC.

Which I interpret as "it's a (likely secret) unit in the main game already" because there's no reason to have Banana and not the Unicorn.

This is going to be my guess. Since, canonically, isn't the unicorn just vaguely "in storage" or something during the events of the movie? I'm really interested to see what kind of secrets we get this time. Personally I'm half expecting Unicorn and the Zanspine.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My DLC prediction is that we're gonna see some fan-favorite OYW suits, Char's Zaku II seems likely. But as a super longshot prediction I'm gonna say the Zeong will be playable, bonus points if they give it legs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not only is the Unicorn 'in storage' you actually see it briefly in storage, and also there's flashbacks to it. Thus, it is technically a part of narrative. So there's no need for Unicorn to be on the series list for it to be in the game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alacron posted:

My DLC prediction is that we're gonna see some fan-favorite OYW suits, Char's Zaku II seems likely. But as a super longshot prediction I'm gonna say the Zeong will be playable, bonus points if they give it legs.

Legs are just for show.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

Legs are just for show.

But without legs how will Char do a flying kick?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Legs are just for show.

Except legs and arms are canonically one of the things that make mobile suits more maneuverable than space planes. I don't think you knew what you were talking about random Zeon engineer.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Ethiser posted:

Except legs and arms are canonically one of the things that make mobile suits more maneuverable. I don't think you knew what you were talking about random Zeon engineer.

Just slap a flight module or a minovsky craft in there to turn its Air terrain to S and grant it flight. Problem solved.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

AWWWW HELL YEAH HIDEO BABA CANT KILL US BABY

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

oh my god sakura wars

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow what the gently caress Sakura Wars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its insanely cool to finally have sakura wars (and cool to see voltes v again) but them being dlc sucks rear end

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
gently caress yeah Kusuha

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ethiser posted:

Except legs and arms are canonically one of the things that make mobile suits more maneuverable than space planes. I don't think you knew what you were talking about random Zeon engineer.

If I recall correctly the idea is that in the models without legs the boosters it has where the legs would have gone are powerful enough to compensate for that, and the onscreen performance of it backs that up(if Amuro hadn't been around to distract him Char probably could have turned the battle into a victory for Zeon), the Federation is lucky that Zeon only had enough time to get one unit ready

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

wait theres no pv3 what the gently caress

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

its insanely cool to finally have sakura wars (and cool to see voltes v again) but them being dlc sucks rear end

This

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

We are fools for having believed this. All the DLC is new series.

RyuKoOh and KoRyuOh were kind of predictable, but I don't think anyone could've seen Sakura Wars coming, much less three whole units from it. Feels like they could be part of the plot at that point but I'll take what I get. Combattler V without Voltes V felt incomplete so it's nice it gets in, I imagine the usual combination move will be available too.

Also Hi-Nu Gundam, which I imagined would get in one way or another after T.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

wait theres no pv3 what the gently caress

Yeah, that was known. This was just a reveal of DLC 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I want to meet the person who is excited for Hi-Nu DLC so I can kick them in the loving chest