Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

In before FitForDanga says Ego isn't funny either.

E: Not a great post in general, but a really lovely post to start a new page, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This season of Masterclass has been absolutely fantastic.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

beer gas canister posted:

Wow the Vanessa Bayer segment at the top of the latest CBB is just excruciatingly banal. Wasn't she funny enough to be on SNL?

She was more miss than hit on SNL but her guest appearances on What We Do In The Shadows and Shrill were excellent.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Matt Mira uses the few brain cells he has to misunderstand the plot, of No Time To Die in today's episode of James Bonding.

It's little wonder Matt Guyers didn't make time to do any pandemic podcasts with Mira.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Getting caught up with Teacher's Lounge: Alumni Week and these episodes are exceptionally loose, it's almost like four buddies are getting to hang out in person after being socially distanced for 18 months and their energy is through the roof. The narrative may not be 100% but the standard Big Grande "Let's chase a dumb idea as far as we can" mentality is fully locked in.

We don't know how to get O'Creavis to leave, but to summon him you yell "O'Creaaaaaaavvvvviiiissss"
O'Creavis is out of his absolute loving mind.

I'm loving this new season. The long episodes are so meandering and fun.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Masterclass is the GOAT. I love it so much.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I don't know how I didn't see Shonk penning his own "Grey Man as a breakup metaphor" song coming, but I didn't, and the reactions were perfect.

Why don't you command the same respect as your father?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

JethroMcB posted:

I don't know how I didn't see Shonk penning his own "Grey Man as a breakup metaphor" song coming, but I didn't, and the reactions were perfect.

Same, got caught off-guard and it was brilliant

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I'm ashamed that I read that spoiler without listening to the latest episode, but I'm putting it on immediately.

Every MonsterClasp has had it's through-line joke, and I didn't expect Petey the Sugar Glider to be better than Shonk's sickness making his hands grow from S2, but drat it the guests, especially Tawny Newsome, just put their own spin on it and elevate it.

The Songs Aren't Metaphors bit from the Tawny Newsome episode is probably my favorite bit of the season.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i can't believe there's another episode left still after that ending lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just feel sorry for imagine dragons

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Man....I really didn't think Minsterclass could get better than the previous two seasons.....and I am continuously proven wrong.

And....as I've said before....check out the show 'Ten Year Old Tom' on HBO Max. A brilliant animated show that is almost exactly like the previously brilliant 'The Life and Times of Tim'. Bang Rodgeman plays the bus driver who just steals the show whenever he's in one of the episodes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jealous of how much y'all love Masterclass. Listened to the first season and it didn't do anything for me at all.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Are you familiar with the survivalist concept of the grey man?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Did anyone else get the September Shadow Wolves episode, even though they aren't at the Shadow Wolves tier?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

feedmyleg posted:

Jealous of how much y'all love Masterclass. Listened to the first season and it didn't do anything for me at all.

first season is way weaker than the later two imo, writing and music as concepts gave them more stuff to play around with and the third season is really on par with a good teacher's lounge season for me

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, I bailed on Masterclass S1 because it was just vibing as Hollywood Handbook with not enough Hayesman, but I went back and revisited a couple of months ago because of how much people were praising it and it was definitely worth pushing through (although I did think S1 was better than I remembered on second listen)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Masterclass actually left me cold on my original listen, but on a second pass it landed hard for me. I just gave the first two seasons another spin over the last week or so and would definitely agree that the second season is stronger than the first overall. (Basically any time you give Shonk an excuse to write/revise a script that other people perform it leads to good stuff; Bang and Mary Holland performing his "I'm dying, Mommy" scene is the highlight of S1.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 14, 2021

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I’ll echo HM growing on you over time. Which is weird since anyone listening to it will already be familiar with the characters and vibe.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Did anyone else get the September Shadow Wolves episode, even though they aren't at the Shadow Wolves tier?

I think it might have just been a promo thing like how some ActionBoyz eps are run on High & Mighty.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
HM season 1 has Mary Holland as an acting coach, and her breathing exercises alone is enough to make me laugh.

HM season 2 hits an even greater stride. Probably because it has a little somethin' for the boys

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I actually started with the free first episode of the third season and enjoyed it enough that I stopped and went back through the first two seasons and it was a fun way to see kinda where those characters were going to end up and seeing it progress over the two seasons

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tarranon posted:

I’ll echo HM growing on you over time. Which is weird since anyone listening to it will already be familiar with the characters and vibe.

It really is the most surprising part of masterclass. Superficially, it's the same premise as Handbook and some of the tone can make you feel you're listening to an old-school episode. But there's something subtly special about the heightened reality of masterclass. On Hollywood Handbook, nobody/everybody is the idiot. On Masterclass, it's just sad how much Bang just can't seem to get it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManoliIsFat posted:

It really is the most surprising part of masterclass. Superficially, it's the same premise as Handbook and some of the tone can make you feel you're listening to an old-school episode. But there's something subtly special about the heightened reality of masterclass. On Hollywood Handbook, nobody/everybody is the idiot. On Masterclass, it's just sad how much Bang just can't seem to get it.

It's expected for Bang to fail and suck poo poo, but he always finds a way to fail and suck poo poo in the wrong way.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I had a similar experience with HM, I started listening to season 1 around the time it came out and I was just getting into HH at the time. Felt too similar so I dropped it for a while, but eventually went back and re-listened and loved it. I think it was Bang as Sebastian the Crab saying "I'm scared of the slenderman" that really won me over, just one of those things that will pop into my head randomly and still make me laugh.
That and "You ain't Judd"

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

feedmyleg posted:

You clearly never watch film and said "hey.....I can do that." Watching an old stagecoach running over the indian bones......

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am listening to the "scott hasn't seen" episode with sean and hayes that got put up on the flagrant ones feed, and man. it's been a while since i've heard scott on a podcast and he is exhausting

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
so far, what are the things that “scott hasnt seen”

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

scary ghost dog posted:

so far, what are the things that “scott hasnt seen”

Space Jam
Space Jam 2
Addams Family

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
They've named a few of the other upcoming movies but the only one that springs to mind is Top Gun, which I'm very excited to hear. I also only saw that for the first time a few years ago and my immediate reaction was "That sucked" and within like a week I had completely turned around on it.

I binged all of the TMNT series after subscribing to CBB World and it was really fun to hear Scott suffer through these movies and to hear "Sprague" realizing more or less in realtime that maybe the franchise kinda sucks and he only truly ever enjoyed the first movie as a child. Shocked by the revelation at the end that they bought thought Batman vs. TMNT was genuinely pretty good.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

JethroMcB posted:

They've named a few of the other upcoming movies but the only one that springs to mind is Top Gun, which I'm very excited to hear. I also only saw that for the first time a few years ago and my immediate reaction was "That sucked" and within like a week I had completely turned around on it.

I binged all of the TMNT series after subscribing to CBB World and it was really fun to hear Scott suffer through these movies and to hear "Sprague" realizing more or less in realtime that maybe the franchise kinda sucks and he only truly ever enjoyed the first movie as a child. Shocked by the revelation at the end that they bought thought Batman vs. TMNT was genuinely pretty good.

That’s because it is genuinely pretty good. Maybe the best possible mash-up you could do. .

Yes, I did rent it after listening to the podcast.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
A real highlight of the TMNT series was Michael Ian Black's episode where he tells the story of how he got roped into dropping out of college to travel the country visiting Pizza Huts in a decaying turtle costume to promote the bizarre musical touring show.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

cams posted:

i am listening to the "scott hasn't seen" episode with sean and hayes that got put up on the flagrant ones feed, and man. it's been a while since i've heard scott on a podcast and he is exhausting

I had to skip the part before Sean and Hayes came on but that was mostly due to the weird voice the other host was doing. I guess it’s a character he’s done on CBB but it was weird where he’s basically just being himself with a funny voice.

anyway I really liked the ep and it made me realize how much better professional writers are at finding things to laugh about in a bad movie than the chapo guys

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm definitely in the baffled by Shaun Diston doing a character for this podcast category. However it originated, by the time you're doing the spinoff of the spinoff, I think people will probably forgive you if you drop the bit, especially when Scott's actually the star in the first place. There's no way he's still doing the character a year from now, right?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Sinteres posted:

There's no way he's still doing the character a year from now, right?

Nah, I think he's going to keep doing it. They'll have to change the song if he drops Sprague!

I don't find the voice annoying at all and I think it's hilarious because of how stupid of an idea it was.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i for one love the increasingly thin line between sprague and shaun

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

He stays in character because it started with that character hiring Scott to write a TMNT movie on CBB. But he also barely stays in character, lol.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Look, he just knows a lot of intimate details about his client.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
CCHC is mostly good but every few episodes Carl has an exhausting spiel about how it should be illegal to tweet at a famous person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
It's like if Gabrus did an Italian accent the first time he came on as Gino and then just got stuck with it for the next eight years