Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
"Am I an rear end in a top hat?"

"You are the rear end in a top hat"

"Wow, there's no need to call me rude names!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

8one6 posted:

I can neither confirm nor deny the removal of the flow restrictor from my current showerhead.

You can also use a power drill to open that bore up a few more mm.

The biggest thing i did for my shower flow was pouring 4 gallons of 45% acetic acid (vinegar, but 9x the normal 5% acetic acid required to be called vinegar) into the water heater, turning on the hot tap until it smelled vinegary, and letting it sit in the pipes overnight. If you live in an area with hard water, that lime scale can build up in your pipes really quickly, even as little as 3-5 years will make a noticeable difference in the flow rates.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for locking myself and my newborn in the guest bedroom so that I could finally spend some time with her away from my wife?

quote:

Hello reddit, my daughter is 2 weeks old. I have barely held her since she was born. My wife constantly has her. When I do get to hold her, my wife just starts crying hysterically until I give her back. I asked her why and she said she was anxious that something would happen to our daughter and that's why she felt the need to hold her so close.

No matter how much I tried to reassure her, she just wouldn't let up. I practically begged her just to let me hold her so that my wife could shower, eat, and care for herself but nothing worked. I felt like I was losing precious bonding time with my daughter so I did what I thought I had to do. My wife fell asleep on the sofa with our child, I took her, went to the guest bedroom and locked the door.

My wife woke up shortly after, very upset of course that our daughter wasn't with her. She soon realized I was in the guest room and begged me to open the door. She was crying, kicking, and screaming. I didn't open it though, and spent a good couple hours with our daughter in there.

Apparently my wife had called her mom, because I got a call from my mil cussing me out, saying how I shouldn't be taking a newborn from her postpartum mother and other things like that. My wife has been furious with me and won't speak and I'm just so frustrated because I really just wanted to spend quality time with my child but maybe that wasn't the way to do it. AITA?
:stare:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Funktastic posted:

AITA for not punishing my daughter for stealing?

Oh, honey, she already knows you have rose petals in the house, otherwise she wouldn't have made rose-petal brownies.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for locking myself and my newborn in the guest bedroom so that I could finally spend some time with her away from my wife?

When an ignorant husband meets a post partum psychosis wife. Lets see, do I help my obviously mentally ill wife? NO! Instead I shall take the baby from her while she melts down in horror.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nothing's gonna happen to the baby, except well it might disappear with a man while you sleep and you won't get it back despite begging

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

I'm floored. He basically set her possible recovery back ages because now her paranoia that someone could take her baby away from her is justified.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
His wife is undergoing an incredibly difficult mental health episode. She is trying to deal with that, and a newborn.

He is dealing with a wife undergoing an incredibly difficult mental health episode , and a newborn that he is being denied access too.

Both have my utmost sympathy. I can’t really judge him harshly for it.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Is it not standard to be informed about PPD and the signs people should be looking out for?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh no, I glanced at the comments. She had mental health issues BEFORE she got pregnant. How the hell was nobody prepared for a just-in-case in this situation?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I had an electrical outlet that was professionally installed as part of a minor bathroom renovation, it is perfectly safe, with a gfci, proper ducting and wiring, but is technically illegal because it is under the vanity cabinet, which required it to be placed less than 15 inches above the ground, but having that outlet there is way safer than running extension cords all over the bathroom.

One weird trick: girlfriend suggested putting a box of tampons in front of it during the code inspection to guarantee no one will find it. worked great

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I had an electrical outlet that was professionally installed as part of a minor bathroom renovation, it is perfectly safe, with a gfci, proper ducting and wiring, but is technically illegal because it is under the vanity cabinet, which required it to be placed less than 15 inches above the ground, but having that outlet there is way safer than running extension cords all over the bathroom.

One weird trick: girlfriend suggested putting a box of tampons in front of it during the code inspection to guarantee no one will find it. worked great

A man is like a T-Rex where seeing a tampon makes them recoil in horror. A group of women dressed as tampons robbing a bank staffed 100% by men wouldn't even be stopped while they emptied out the vault.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

Sisal Two-Step posted:

convincing my wife that no one will take the baby away by taking the baby away

Seriously though she obviously has PPD on top of her previous issues, I really hope he listens to all the people yelling at him that his wife needs actual help from medical professionals

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Dazerbeams posted:

Is it not standard to be informed about PPD and the signs people should be looking out for?

Not in America, no.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Tampon box camouflage also works well for sneaking little airplane bottles of booze into a concert. We used to open those small tampon boxes super carefully, load 'em up, and then reglue them so it would look like a brand new box, but as long as you pick a security line with a man doing bag check, it's easier to just leave one tampon peeking out and they'll act like it's not even there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Total Meatlove posted:

His wife is undergoing an incredibly difficult mental health episode. She is trying to deal with that, and a newborn.

He is dealing with a wife undergoing an incredibly difficult mental health episode , and a newborn that he is being denied access too.

Both have my utmost sympathy. I can’t really judge him harshly for it.
He stayed inside the bedroom for hours -- by his own account -- while his two-weeks-postpartum wife was kicking and screaming at it. Why? Not for the baby's safety, but to get "bonding time".

I'm trying to think of circumstances where I'd let my husband be screaming at the door for hours, and they all involve threats of personal violence. Not "I want this baby more than you do right now." Any decent human being would be thinking "Something is seriously wrong with my wife, this is more than just a tantrum."

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Invisible Clergy posted:

Not in America, no.

In America, the main concern is that you get back to work in 6 weeks you loving cog. (child due in feb, I hate this country)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Two weddings and a relationship.
AITA for uniting my fiancée's parents and sister from our wedding? (yes, that's a typo)

quote:

Last week my fiancée had an appointment at a bridal store. Since her friends are all over the country for work or school and also because of pandemic protocols the appointment had to stay small so only her parents and sister went with her. My fiancée got home from the appointment in tears. She said when they got to the bridal store her sister was looking at dresses instead of paying attention to the appointment and then their parents especially their mother started looking with her and she started trying on dresses herself and then her parents bought her sister a dress. Her sister is single. Not engaged. The appointment was supposed to be for my fiancée but her sister took over and my fiancée didn't even get to try on a single dress. When we announced our engagement her parents said they couldn't help us with the wedding but we didn't ask or even expect them to. The dress they bought her sister was more then what our budget was for my fiancée's dress. And her sister isn't engaged or even in a relationship. Her parents called me a few hours later to 'warn' me my wife got emotional and dramatic at the appointment. I told them that both of them and her sister were no longer invited to the wedding because of their actions.

Normally I wouldn't interfere with my fiancée's family and if my she wanted to overrule me I would 100% support her but she was so upset when she got home from the appointment I felt I had to do something. It's been almost a week and my fiancée is ignoring her parents and sister's calls and texts and she hasn't said anything about re-inviting them even after I let her know it's up to her and I support her decision. Her parents and sister have been leaving me voicemails and texts saying I'm controlling, out of line, it's none of my business and they also accuse my fiancée of being emotional, overreacting and being mean to her sister and killing her fun. My fiancée is the least selfish person I have ever met and I don't think she's wrong for being upset at what happened at the appointment. My fiancée graduated medical school in 2019 and began a residency in internal medicine at a hospital in June 2019. We all know about the pandemic that hit less then a year later, it has been very hard, fraught and emotional for my fiancee and her colleagues. I don't know how they do it. Some days she cries a lot. My fiancée doesn't ask for much and while we are not having a big or expensive wedding come hell or high water I'm making sure she gets to be happy. I am furious at her parents and sister. They are my fiancée's only family and they should be supporting her. Was I wrong to uninvite them when I found out what happened? Does it make me the rear end in a top hat if I did it without consulting my fiancée? Thank you for your input in my situation.

Also our ages for anyone who is interested: Me 28, My fiancée 28, Her sister 29, Her mother 50, Her father 54

AITA for not wanting my disabled sister at my wedding?

quote:

The title sounds awful but please read all the way til the end. DO NOT SPEED READ THIS.

My (22f) sister "Anna" (21) is "special need". She has severe autism and while she is verbal most of her communication is "physical" like sign language due to her social discomfort. She does speak around family though and has pretty bad cognitive skills. She can't comprehend boundaries and lives with our parents so they can best watch her.

I am getting married in 3 months. We planned a simple wedding and reception at my fiance "Michael's" parents barn and farm. Since it's all gonna be DIY and we aren't planning anything too expensive, we can do things pretty quickly since flowers, food and decor will be provided by his family.

I sent out invites last week and I asked that Anna not come. I told my parents I understood that would mean they may not show up but it was just a heads up. Why no Anna? She has an issue with touching Michael and trying to kiss him. At times when we were at my parents house Anna would try and grab Michael's hands, try to lean in to kiss him or would have a really bad shutdowns if she wasn't allowed to be directly next to him. We've tried speaking to her but there's only so much we can do when she doesn't really understand. I told my parents I just want one day for Michael to be my partner and not Anna's comfort person. They called me selfish and asked how I expected them to agree to something like this. They told me Anna is disabled and may never experience a wedding of her own and while I have Michael for probably the rest of our lives she'll have no one and that Michael and I can be a little more understanding to the reality of her life.

I feel like a total rear end and what they're saying has really gotten to me and I'm starting to question my decision. AITA?

Update: My parents called me letting me know they won't be coming and that it's best I don't bring Michael around anymore since I've "chosen some man over my sister". They told me that Anna wanting to kiss Michael and hug him is normal for a women her age and that she doesn't understand what her feelings mean. I suggested they try to redirect her during the wedding but they said Michael is gonna be family to her and he needs to "get over it". I suggested they watch the wedding via web and they said that's not fair and that they deserve to see things in person. I asked if I could pay for someone with proper credentials to watch her that day while they attention and they asked what I would do when they died and if I'd pawn her off every time. I dropped the unfortunate truth bomb that I don't want to put any more of my life aside for Anna anymore. I did it up until I turned 18. And that Anna is not my life's responsibility and I won't be her keeper. I assured them I'd pay for her care but if she's okay doing this to Michael then I worry for if I ever do choose to have children and what she'd do to them They said I was sick for suggesting she'd do anything to my future children and hung up on me. They sent a lengthy text telling me not to contact them until I could "do the right thing". So thts where we are right now.

PLEASE READ: This is NOT an excuse to talk badly about disabled people's nor is this an opportunity to air out your hatred for them. My sister is not a scapegoat to hate disabled people. She is a human being with feelings, she is not a statistic, she is not evil. Please stop treating my sister as if she's a malicious monster, this debacle is between me and my parents. Leave her out of it, please. I am begging you, I don't want to hear why you think my sister sucks.

AITA for telling my son that it was he who insisted on taking responsibility for a woman with mental problems?

quote:

Ok, I am a 50 year old woman and my son is 25 years old. He was trying to convince the parents of his 24-year-old girlfriend (Let's call her Mary Ann) to let her move in with him. Mary Ann has a couple of mental problems that cause her to change her attitudes abruptly (I describe what I have seen in our interactions, I do not know her specific condition), so I could not tell if she is sweet and kind or if she is brutally honest and quite serious. It can be the same day both things and he does not seem the same person, besides that he thinks like a girl and cannot live like a normal adult despite having the knowledge of one (Her parents say that she does not have Down syndrome or nothing similar).

My son told Mary Ann's parents that he would take care of her, but they always came to monitor how he was handling her. It so happens that being almost 60% responsible for this woman and for what she does has put my son in a high state of stress. He had never cared for another living thing before (My financial situation was not good when he was a child and we never had pets), so he is almost always tired, irritated, frustrated and all he wants to do in his spare time is sleep. Mary Ann always cries about wanting to do something with him, but he just says he's tired and goes to bed trying to sleep.

One day, he told me that he couldn't take it anymore. That Mary Ann can't do a lot of household chores well, and that he has to go fix what she's done, that he can't handle her abrupt changes, and that he can't bear to be behind her. I told him that it was he who wanted to commit to taking care of her, and that he should be responsible because no one forced him to carry Mary Ann, but that he insisted on living with her, and that, if he loved her, he could get psychological help for stress and continue with his relationship.

My son told me to go away, and when I came back to visit, I saw Mary Ann crying because my son broke up with her. I consoled her for a while until she mentioned that my son told her that she was useless and that he couldn't handle her anymore. When I confronted him about this, he called me an rear end in a top hat and said he had the right to quit if he thought it was too much of a responsibility for him.

Edit: To put more context, the reason Mary Ann should be cared for is because if she finds something fun enough to do, she can spend days putting up with the urge to go to the bathroom, she is able to ignore her own hunger and you can even go days without sleep.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He stayed inside the bedroom for hours -- by his own account -- while his two-weeks-postpartum wife was kicking and screaming at it. Why? Not for the baby's safety, but to get "bonding time".

I'm trying to think of circumstances where I'd let my husband be screaming at the door for hours, and they all involve threats of personal violence. Not "I want this baby more than you do right now." Any decent human being would be thinking "Something is seriously wrong with my wife, this is more than just a tantrum."

Nobody in that household is making rational decisions with a two week old in it. They’d not be making entirely rational decisions regardless of the depressive state of the wife, or the husband. The wife not allowing her husband to hold or bond with the baby doesn’t make her an indecent human being because she’s not in a fit mental state to be judged on that, but likely neither is he. That’s why it’s poo poo for everybody, like I said,

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Invisible Clergy posted:

This "adult picky eater" nonsense (for NTs, autistics often avoid innocuous foods for sensory issue reasons and I'm not gonna give them any poo poo about that) is a pretty uniquely American dysfunction.
You obviously need to watch more trashy British TV.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I (23f) “Platonically married” a marine (21m) so he could move off base. It’s time to end it and I’ve caught serious feelings for him and he wants to move on. How do I get over this heartbreak?

quote:

So I live near Oceanside, CA. A year ago a friend and I were on the beach and started talking to these two really cute marines. We hung out all day and while at this point there was no romantic interest, Gregory started talking about how he wanted to move off base and the best way to do it was to find a friend who would marry him so he could get the married housing allowance and get a nicer place. I was looking to leave my parents house so I told him I was game. Within the next week wed gotten married and lucked into an amazing little house in the north county.

I fell for him so hard. We were basically roommates (I had my own bedroom) but we did more “dates” and couple stuff than my friends with actual boyfriends would do. My heart would break every time he had a date and I’d be so relieved when he’d not go on a second date so he could go hiking with me. We hooked up once about 2 weeks ago (no sex) and Be physical with someone has never come more naturally.

I’d completely forgot we’d had an arrangement to get a legal divorce when he got to a certain point in his rank where he could afford to live on his own. That point is coming up. He just reminded me about it.

I floated the idea of maybe just staying married and since we know we’re so compatible mentally, emotionally and physically and we’re both happy…let’s just try it.

He said that I will always be one of his best friends but he wants to stick to our original arrangement and move on. I’m devastated and feeling heartbreak like i never thought possible.

Should I keep trying to talk him into staying? If he doesn’t how can I possibly get over this heartbreak? I feel like I’m losing a life I loved.

oof

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

DemoneeHo posted:

I (23f) “Platonically married” a marine (21m) so he could move off base. It’s time to end it and I’ve caught serious feelings for him and he wants to move on. How do I get over this heartbreak?

oof

Gotta love those military marriages of convenience. Whenever a deployment was about to happen there would be a bunch of marriages so the soldier could get the extra marriage money from the deployment. The real gamble was whether or not the non-deployed party would empty the bank account and disappear with all the extra money before the deployment ended.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Holy gently caress, your wife has postpartum depression, rear end in a top hat.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Two weddings and a relationship.
AITA for telling my son that it was he who insisted on taking responsibility for a woman with mental problems?

I'm uh. Confused about this one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for not wanting my disabled sister at my wedding?

God drat I feel bad for everyone but the parents in this story. Anna obviously has a crush on Michael that no one wants to acknowledge or deal with, and if she understands what a wedding is there's no way she wouldn't cause a massive scene. It's not her fault, of course, but I think the OP is definitely making the right call.

And there's not a chance her parents weren't planning to dump Anna on her and Michael once they're too old/poor to take care of her properly or just get tired of her.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This is a questionable one so feel free to skip it:

And removed.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 16, 2021

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018
That ones just about rape. That ones just a story about someone being raped what the gently caress?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

why would you post that story

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Let me answer the question: YES, that is rape of a man.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Son has gf with probably autism who straddles the line between functioning and not functioning. It was ok when they were just dating, but since they moved in together he can't deal with her poo poo and broke up with her. Mom OP is taking a "you asked for it" approach.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

"You adopted the puppy girlfriend, it's your responsibility to care for it!" Seriously, the fact that OP called out "we never could have pets" is pretty painful. OP's son started a relationship, realized it was too much for him, but his mom is telling him to go get therapy and deal with it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty much ESH territory, and nobody wins. Especially not that poor young lady who has to move back into her parents place.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Guy tried to pull a Ted Nugent but with a mentally disabled girl, and it turns out it's not all the song made it out to be?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 16, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Whole bunch of rape and sexual assault stories with a side of mental illness, what fun.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Whole bunch of rape and sexual assault stories with a side of mental illness, what fun.

Yes.

Let’s not have stories with a bunch of rape and sexual assault - thanks

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Let's reread one of my favorite posts from r/sex instead

Scary Cock Ring

quote:

Had sex last night with a black cock ring (its black, soft rubber, with a bunch of "soft spikes" that go around it). Towards the end at climax, i pulled it off and tossed it to the floor, to pick up later, then went to bed. I woke up early this morning (still partially dark), went to leave the bedroom and seen what i thought was a large spider. I grabbed one of my slippers, put it on, and proceeded to "curb stomp" a black cock ring several times.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DemoneeHo posted:

Let's reread one of my favorite posts from r/sex instead

Scary Cock Ring

LET THE BALLDOS HIT THE FLOOR

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing to stop calling my daughter 'my love'

quote:

Some background: my (28f) older sister (33f) has a habit of making everything about her, has done our whole lives, we are 2 of 4 siblings (another sister and a brother). For example, my wedding 4 years ago she had a massive fight with significant other and then announced a pregnancy, 2 days later told us it was a false alarm and she was just late, when I announced my pregnancy she announced she had broken up with her significant other, less than a week after I gave birth to my daughter she announced she was engaged (to a different guy, that she has since broken up with as well). She has also done similar with other family members, including her own children. She has 3 children from 2 different dads and has been engaged and broken up with 3 different guys in the last year.

We had a family video chat to catch up so everyone could see my daughter (4 months old), no one has had a great deal of face to face contact due to restrictions and distance, some family members have yet to meet her in person. I use lots of nicknames for my daughter, mainly bubble, poppet or a shortened version of her name (think izzy if her name was isabelle), but occasionally use terms of endearment such as, sweetheart, my darling or my love.

While on the video chat my sister asked me not to use my love as her new boyfriend calls her that, she's been 'talking to him' for about a month and is now apparently moving in next week. I apologised and said I wouldn't use it around her, thinking this was reasonable. She said no, I had to never use it again, I wasn't allowed to call my daughter that and she found it really inappropriate as it really should just be used in a romantic setting. This confused me and I refused, I said I could call my daughter whatever I pleased and I would simply avoid using the term in front of her. She got very defensive and went on to insult my parenting skills.

Here is where I may be the AH, I told her, just because her new guy couldnt remember her name long enough to use it, and chances are none of us would put the effort into learning his, doesn't mean I need to change what I call my daughter.

She flipped out and left the call, some family members are on my side, some say I was too harsh, am I the AH in this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to stop calling my daughter 'my love'

lol this is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Um, I frequently call my pets "my love." Like, all the time.