Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Armitag3 posted:

How come the moment you're exchanging "money" for chances it isn't regulated like scratch cards or gambling?

gambling laws are extremely loosely enforced because we let gambling get loving everywhere and don't want to admit it.

like the grocery stores near me have spin the wheel machines in them that give kids prizes but that's ok because the "dollars" that kids put in are fake (but only one given per kid per trip! be sure to bring your kids often!) and thus it isn't gambling despite scratching that exact "random chance to win thing of value" mental itch that gets people addicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apparently an appropriate penalty for inventing billions of dollars in fake money is $41 million

quote:

Tether will pay $41 million to settle allegations by the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) that it made untrue or misleading statements when it claimed its stablecoins were fully backed by fiat currencies.

The CFTC said in a statement Friday that between June 2016 and February 2019, Tether misrepresented to customers and the cryptocurrencies markets that it had “sufficient US dollar reserves” to back every token when, in fact, its reserves were not fully backed the majority of the time.

In addition, the CFTC said, Tether failed to disclose that it included unsecured receivables and non-fiat assets as part of its reserves, falsely telling investors it would conduct routine audits to show it maintained 100 percent of reserves at all times, even though its reserves were not audited.

“This case highlights the expectation of honesty and transparency in the rapidly growing and developing digital assets marketplace,” acting CFTC chairman Rostin Behnam said in a statement.

Tether was investigated by the New York attorney general for claims about its backing, setting with the agency in February. Under the terms of that settlement, Tether is prohibited from doing business in New York state.

Tether said in a statement emailed to The Verge on Friday that the CFTC order “found no issues relating to Tether’s current operations,” adding that issues in the agency’s order were resolved when Tether updated its terms of service in February 2019.

“As to the Tether reserves, there is no finding that tether tokens were not fully backed at all times — simply that the reserves were not all in cash and all in a bank account titled in Tether’s name, at all times,” Tether’s statement continues. “As Tether represented in the Order, it has always maintained adequate reserves and has never failed to satisfy a redemption request.”

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

qirex posted:

apparently an appropriate penalty for inventing billions of dollars in fake money is $41 million

And admitting they lied and they're full of poo poo and don't have 1 to 1 backing and therefore????

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

$41m probably still more cash than tether have

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

TINY TUNGSTEN CUBES!?
                                    /

“One day you’ll see father! One day you’ll see there’s more to life then Fiat! There’s Bitcoin, and Blockchain, and good honest NFTS!”
I dread the day crypto is understood widely enough to fuel sketch comedy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shumagorath posted:

I dread the day crypto is understood widely enough to fuel sketch comedy

I have some bad news for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5RCfQyTDFI

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

that’s snl, they said comedy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lmao.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/peter_atwater/status/1448982329368657938

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

TINY TUNGSTEN CUBES!?
                                    /

“One day you’ll see father! One day you’ll see there’s more to life then Fiat! There’s Bitcoin, and Blockchain, and good honest NFTS!”
bloody posh talker since you followed Elon

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

qirex posted:

Full article:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/15/22728253/tether-41-million-misleading-statements-fiat-currency-bitfinex-cftc

I'm skeptical of whether this will end up mattering to the cult as long as Bitfinex can stay operating

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Main Paineframe posted:

it's very similar. it's kinda fascinating to me how everything bitcoiners build is basically just an extra-complicated take on the same old scams. the funniest part is that this one is a double-layered Ponzi

you pay STX into the contract for chances to win citycoins, which then give you a cut of the STX paid in. but how do you mine STX? by paying regular Bitcoin into the contract for a chance to win STX, which then give you a cut of the Bitcoins paid in. and I'm guessing the STX creators pre-mined a bunch of STX to ensure they'd get big cuts

so the whole citycoin thing is just a scheme to get more people paying bitcoins into the STX ecosystem

it’s ponzis all the way down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

it's been 100 years, the lessons of the 1920s are no longer relevant

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

qirex posted:

that’s the cftc’s smaller hammer, not the sec’s government-sized hammer

there are a lot of hammers gonna drop on tether

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

As to the Tether reserves, there is no finding that tether tokens were not fully backed at all times — simply that the reserves were not all in cash and all in a bank account titled in Tether’s name, at all times

It's such a fake attempt to downplay it. "Sometimes, the money was someone else's, and also not money." Like your mate's bag of weed qualifies under that standard.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
look, we're fairly certain there exist enough dollars to cover the issued tether. quibbling over who currently owns them is just splitting hairs

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

that’s the cftc’s smaller hammer, not the sec’s government-sized hammer

there are a lot of hammers gonna drop on tether

my (non-lawyer) read on this is that this only applies to Tether's public lies about 1:1 cash backing up through Feb. 2019, and has not taken into consideration any statements since then, any other crimes that might've happened (such as bank fraud or other fraudulent public statements about their reserves) prior or since, or any questions about the fundamental legality of Tethers (which is more a question for the SEC to handle).

So yeah, this is hopefully just the first of many actions, but we'll see. until then we get to enjoy the fact that both new york state and the united states federal government have demonstrated Tether to be frauds and liars, and it just doesn't matter, crypto people will still act like it's fine to trust Tether with tens of billions of dollars worth of stuff

infernal machines posted:

it's been 100 years, the lessons of the 1920s are no longer relevant
it's been a decade, the lessons of 2008 ain't even relevant anymore. the Lehman Bros bankruptcy and the Madoff bust just got old enough to go see a PG-13 movie on their own, and we're already back to wrapping derivatives inside of derivatives inside of derivatives and pretending that these billion-dollar Ponzi schemes couldn't possibly be Ponzi schemes, because who on earth would let a Ponzi scheme accumulate billions of dollars?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, well, you see, this time it's different. because blockchain, and cryptography. this is all digital

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
reminds me I need to pick this back up again

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah, but this time really is different cause these two hosed up their spreadsheet.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

ah, well, you see, this time it's different. because blockchain, and cryptography. this is all digital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuTSAeFhdZU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pinboard/status/1449081721253597188

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Chris Knight posted:

Ooo this looks good

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladinus posted:

Guess what, Steam has recognised that NFTs have value. Very bullish, imo.
https://twitter.com/SpacePirate_io/status/1448713803680473089

lmao if this gave Steam its 30% cut they wouldn't give a flying gently caress, gaben is one of the most embarrassingly capitalist swine humanly possible.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
gaben need more gold so he can shove computers in to his brain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SZvSuHqcgM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1387993822567665667

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

qirex posted:

cryptolords: "wtf the statists want them to pay money in fines that they don't have?!"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

gschmidl posted:

lmao if this gave Steam its 30% cut they wouldn't give a flying gently caress, gaben is one of the most embarrassingly capitalist swine humanly possible.

His vast collection of irl knives surpasses any collection of hats tf2 players buy/sell for college funds(which itself are all eclipsed by any average NFT transaction)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a loving landscaping light spike

drk
Jan 16, 2005

qirex posted:

As mentioned by blotter, thats *one* of the penalties on the first ~$2B or so they had at the time this settlement applies to (NYAG also penalized them something like $15M for conduct during a similar time period). Nothing has been said yet on the ~$66B that have come into existence since then. DOJ and SEC are supposedly investigating them as well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Bitcoin is a P2P currency that could topple governments, destabilize economies and create uncontrollable global bazaars for contraband. (...) After month of research and discovery, we've learned the following:
1. Bitcoin is a technologically sound project.
2. Bitcoin is unstoppable without end-user prosecution.
3. Bitcoin is the most dangerous open-source project ever created.
4. Bitcoin may be the most dangerous technological project since the internet itself.
5. Bitcoin is a political statement by technotarians (technological libertarians).*
6. Bitcoins will change the world unless governments ban them with harsh penalties.

Lol I probably lurked this thread lolling at the idiots who went in on this

Turns out that I missed out I guess

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

bloody posh talker since you followed Elon

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Guess what, Steam has recognised that NFTs have value. Very bullish, imo.
https://twitter.com/SpacePirate_io/status/1448713803680473089

Meanwhile at their competitor:
two weeks ago:
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1442519522875949061
today:
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1449146317129895938

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

is "that thing you load up for a free game once a week and then forget about" really a competitor?

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
true i should have put it quotes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
EPIC!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
"How it started / How it's going" for legal fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Attention, all Epic Gamers! Tim Sweeney needs your help!