Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

It doesnt really say anything different then any other scientist who studies the carbon cycle is though. We're at permian extinction levels of CO2 going into the air every day.

I love all these scientists that presumably work their asses off to create poo poo that boils down to graphs used to teach econ 101. truly the more advanced science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i always think about what lovely chemicals and other things that live in a house, just waiting to be absorbed by rising sea levels. think of all the paint, glue and carpet fibres ready to be set free

lmao

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

It doesnt really say anything different then any other scientist who studies the carbon cycle is though. We're at permian extinction levels of CO2 going into the air every day.

scientists who study the carbon cycle don’t look at Whale Number and when whale go down, apply that to CO2 and pH without controlling for, say, the whaling industry.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

toggle posted:

i always think about what lovely chemicals and other things that live in a house, just waiting to be absorbed by rising sea levels. think of all the paint, glue and carpet fibres ready to be set free

lmao

Lol houses? I beg you to consider the entertainment value of the various garbage dumps, industry sites, hazardous waste containment facilities, skyscrapers full of office supplies, water treatment plants etc etc etc that all support every coastal city

Houses lmao

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Lol houses? I beg you to consider the entertainment value of the various garbage dumps, industry sites, hazardous waste containment facilities, skyscrapers full of office supplies, water treatment plants etc etc etc that all support every coastal city

Houses lmao

oh hey it’s the exact thought that runs through my mind whenever sea level rise is mentioned and places like Houston are used as an example

bet the ocean really loves oil refineries and chemical plants!

lmao

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
situation seems sub-optimal

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

Eh, the paper is not academic and was published in order to sell engineering solutions and test kits.

Climate hosed, but this is combo scare-mongering and profiteering pay to publish scheme.

hmmm, so what you're saying is we should start a dropshipped domes store and *then* publish a paper about it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Koirhor posted:

situation seems sub-optimal

it's not that bad

y
E
T

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

finally, now we can burn more fossil fuels moving all the plastic from here to over here! runaway climate change from burning fossil fuels has been averted!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I was looking for crab vids and youtube recommended one of a guy stuffing a giant octopus in an industrial shredder. Then I thought some more about crabs, and humans

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

hmmm, so what you're saying is we should start a dropshipped domes store and *then* publish a paper about it

that’s where im at. Going to the dome store store later

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Biosphere Collapse: Didn't Want Those Living Oceans Anyway

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RIP Syndrome posted:

I was looking for crab vids and youtube recommended one of a guy stuffing a giant octopus in an industrial shredder. Then I thought some more about crabs, and humans

that was a pretty good simpsons episode, yeah

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Houses lmao

i totally forgot about that. i was too wrapped up in the lmao zone thinking about multi million dollar miami homes

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
again SeaQuest DSV was way ahead of its time

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Koirhor posted:

again SeaQuest DSV was way ahead of its time

g-g-g-ghosts?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The oceans are at a tipping point but have you considered

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1449150745354412035

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i dont see how anyone can think the oceans will tip when earth is a potato shape, u cant tip a potato it just rolls

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Blockade posted:

Try to make it fun imo, include some fun world building diary entries and maybe a puzzle to unlock the loot crate

if i have any energy left behind The End i will attempt this

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's cool that Joe Manchin can repeatedly take action that will lead to the death of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, but we cannot ____ _____ _____ _____ __ __ _____.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1448853687074500634

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's cool that Joe Manchin can repeatedly take action that will lead to the death of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, but we cannot ____ _____ _____ _____ __ __ _____.

that's right, we cannot forget to vote blue no matter who! :obama:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol coward

https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1449138054137057282

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

We can actually, at any time, sovereignty of _____ is an illusion, the only truth is the shape of the factions that would seek to control it at the exclusion of all others

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

No more motion in the ocean

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

i know its not what you meant but its fun to watch libs put the blame to one guy (or gal) when the whole system is loving awful. huey long wouldn't stand for 1 guy sitting in the way

a lot of the similar things could also be accomplished by ending massive subsidies, liability protections, and endless financial fuckery to prop up petrochem companies like fracking was only viable because of financial hand-outs.

(also the infrastructure bill is a lot of bad with a few okay things in it, and almost all actual grift and for 'jobs' which has value but very little in actual meaningful biosphere wise. the biggest chunks of it are for roads, airports, subsidizing rich techie's tesla purchases, putting electric truck charging stations at whole foods, and poo poo like that. amtrak improvements would be good though)

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
lol lmao.

https://twitter.com/climate/status/1448679620069531649

https://twitter.com/climate/status/1448679809199087616

Even after all of these years, it's always a little bit of a crack ping whenever I think of how many abandoned fart scars we have littered about. Most of them are ones we don't even know we don't know about.

It's great.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
have you considered the world's largest carbon capture plant was just opened in iceland

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Lost Time posted:

lol lmao.

https://twitter.com/climate/status/1448679620069531649

https://twitter.com/climate/status/1448679809199087616

Even after all of these years, it's always a little bit of a crack ping whenever I think of how many abandoned fart scars we have littered about. Most of them are ones we don't even know we don't know about.

It's great.

quote:

Thousands of wells Diversified bought were producing nothing at all, meaning they were already out of compliance. State laws require nonproductive wells to be plugged promptly, so they don’t endanger groundwater or catch fire. But enforcing this law is difficult. Regulators worry that if they push companies too hard, it can cause financial distress and reduce the chances that anything will be plugged. “If the burden is so high to plug a well, then a company may not be able to do it, and you’ve defeated the purpose,” says Eric Vendel, chief of Ohio’s Division of Oil and Gas Resources Management. That concern was especially acute for Diversified, which was juggling an unprecedented number of idle wells in multiple states.

Instead, four states—Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia—cut deals that give Diversified about a decade or more to bring roughly 3,000 idle wells into compliance. If the company revives enough of those wells, it’s required to plug only 20 unsalvageable ones a year in each of the four states. At that pace it would take about 750 years for Diversified to plug everything it currently owns in the region.

State officials say the company has kept up its end of the bargain so far. Last year, Diversified said, it plugged 92 wells, a dozen more than required. The company said its pace beats any other company in Appalachia, an assertion that couldn’t be independently confirmed. It also reported reviving production at hundreds of idle wells, which means it’s off the hook from retiring them anytime soon. The states don’t have enough inspectors to verify these production claims, so they mostly rely on what Diversified tells them.

An incident in Ohio shows the risk of that approach. In 2019, Diversified told state officials it had revived a well in Trumbull County, squeezing a modest amount of gas from a site that had produced nothing the previous year. That put the well back into compliance with state law. But when a state inspector visited the following June, she found the site idle, according to a report she filed. A field employee explained that the well was filled with water and hadn’t produced anything the year before, contradicting what the company had claimed. Diversified said any misreporting wasn’t intentional.

:hmmyes: the purpose of regulations in ensuring there's cover for number go up has been achieved handily

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

it really is Samsara... there really is no free will at the institutional level

individuals may or may not have free will, may or may not be deterministic biomechanisms; it's irrelevant

the institutions, the states and corporations and energy firms... they have transcended their makers. It may be that every individual within a given institution hates what the institution does... and yet the institution will do what it does. AI lives among us, a churning ecosystem of metaorganisms that exist upon a substrate of sapient biology and their contrived bureaucracies.

there are no leaders, no executives, not really. the most powerful CEO, prime minister, the president... they have more in common with a weathervane or a wind-sock than they do with a thinking being in the context of the synthetic edifice they occupy... eternally buffeted and blown about by natural forces they have no inkling, prediction or control of

the collapse of industrial society is as inevitable, and natural, as the comet that killed the dinosaurs.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
have you considered the world's largest carbon capture plant was just opened in iceland

kater
Nov 16, 2010

^^ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Xaris posted:

i know its not what you meant but its fun to watch libs put the blame to one guy (or gal) when the whole system is loving awful. huey long wouldn't stand for 1 guy sitting in the way

Joe ma chin is a loving human carbon credit. look the system is working! yay representive democracy is so pretty. what u mean nothing is improving we just need to plant some votes and earn more Joe manchine.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I can’t add in screams fast enough

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

:eyepop:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

i'm ok with becoming stupid(er) from oxygen starvation
it should make the end of the world a lot less stressful

"I heard they ate the last fish last week, it was a dolphin they'd kept alive on the Faroe islands"

"... ... Uuuh... I had something for this.. eehhm... *checks notes" ah.. lol, lmao."

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Also it's gonna turn out the garbage patch was our best option to contain the plastic and we're doing the equivalent of a bunch of extremely hungry racoons not finding any food in a garbage can.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

The Protagonist posted:

it really is Samsara... there really is no free will at the institutional level

individuals may or may not have free will, may or may not be deterministic biomechanisms; it's irrelevant

the institutions, the states and corporations and energy firms... they have transcended their makers. It may be that every individual within a given institution hates what the institution does... and yet the institution will do what it does. AI lives among us, a churning ecosystem of metaorganisms that exist upon a substrate of sapient biology and their contrived bureaucracies.

there are no leaders, no executives, not really. the most powerful CEO, prime minister, the president... they have more in common with a weathervane or a wind-sock than they do with a thinking being in the context of the synthetic edifice they occupy... eternally buffeted and blown about by natural forces they have no inkling, prediction or control of

the collapse of industrial society is as inevitable, and natural, as the comet that killed the dinosaurs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fanfic insert posted:

"I heard they ate the last fish last week, it was a dolphin they'd kept alive on the Faroe islands"

"what's a dolfin?"

"I assume it's a fish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I mean there was a storyline with genetic engineered workers blowing up the oxygen generators that keep the planets oxygen level at 17% if I remember correctly because the GMO people can survive at a lower % and want to kill the normies.

also the episode about how the planet banned beef, I mean lmao