Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's specifically the oath rod, yeah. they associate it as a thing from working with the power because they're like one of the few major forces of channelers operating in the land at that point and nobody else is really there to challenge that assessment. at the very least any groups of unrelated channelers do it in secret and don't really make it known that they're as such, like the windfinders and whoever else. but the oath rod puts such a strain on them that it halves their lifespan and also gives that weird ageless look over time for whatever reason.

it's also why siuan loses the look when she gets stilled, the oaths are broken on her and so is the oath rod's effects overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It does feel like the Oath Rod facelift thing may have been a late decision, though, because as Vavrek said Urien mistook Verin for a Wise One because she had the look of those who had been to Rhuidean. That was relatively early in TGH, right? Makes sense that not every detail of the Aes Sedai was hammered down yet. Urien's statement could be read as her carrying herself like a Wise One, I guess, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Egwene having the ageless face but knowing she hadn't held the oath rod was definitely a result of her dream reality and real reality blending in the test, though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What are they doing for the "ageless face" for the TV show? I always took it to mean that you couldn't place their age, not that they looked perpetually young. Are all the Aes Sedai going to look ~20 in the show?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sounds like they aren’t gonna bother with it. I always pictured it like youngish face with very smooth skin that glows a little.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

What are they doing for the "ageless face" for the TV show? I always took it to mean that you couldn't place their age, not that they looked perpetually young. Are all the Aes Sedai going to look ~20 in the show?

Nothing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Sounds like they aren’t gonna bother with it. I always pictured it like youngish face with very smooth skin that glows a little.

Honestly, not a terrible plan. If they hope to tell the whole story the cast is going to visibly age over the course of it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

As the wheel turns, I thought the ageless face in this age would be the botox instagram face many celebrities and influencers tend to have.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the topic about the face stuff came up earlier and mostly the takeaway is that it makes no sense for them to burn a bunch of money on special effects needed to make something truly uncanny that also doesn't look weird and half-assed, and have it be something they have to do for a very large assortment of actors who will be frequently showing up. just one of those things that has to be sacrificed for the live action medium.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

CainsDescendant posted:

It does feel like the Oath Rod facelift thing may have been a late decision, though, because as Vavrek said Urien mistook Verin for a Wise One because she had the look of those who had been to Rhuidean. That was relatively early in TGH, right? Makes sense that not every detail of the Aes Sedai was hammered down yet. Urien's statement could be read as her carrying herself like a Wise One, I guess, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

I could swear at some point in 5 or 6 while Rand/Egwene are around the Wise Ones all the time it gets mentioned pretty often how a few of the Wise Ones have the same look, or something like it. Can't think of an exact example though, but I've been through them in the last month on audiobook.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pleads posted:

I could swear at some point in 5 or 6 while Rand/Egwene are around the Wise Ones all the time it gets mentioned pretty often how a few of the Wise Ones have the same look, or something like it. Can't think of an exact example though, but I've been through them in the last month on audiobook.

The power makes you age way longer but the face thing is the oath rod squeezing the skin. that's why aes sedai have half the life span

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pleads posted:

Actually I think you're right in some way,

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Oath_Rod#Ageless_Look

quote:

Ageless Look
The Oath Rod is the cause of the Aes Sedai agelessness. Although most Aes Sedai believe that the ageless look comes with the ability to channel, the Kin, the Forsaken, the Wise Ones and the damane do not have ageless faces, despite centuries worth of channeling. Egwene herself states to Romanda that the Oath Rod is the cause of agelessness.[5] See also Source:Budapest Q&A, April 2003, close to the end of that long article for confirmation from RJ himself.

Besides causing agelessness, the Oath Rod reduces an Aes Sedai's life span by more than half. One of the members of the Kin is almost three hundred years older than Cadsuane Melaidhrin, the oldest living Aes Sedai.

Inconsistency regarding the ageless look of Aes Sedai
When Rand watches the history of Aiel through the eyes of his ancestors, the Aes Sedai with the Jenn Aiel at the half-built Rhuidean[6] described as "Ageless faces with skin that looked as if the wind might tear it." ; which should mean that they were bound by the oath rod. On the other hand it is indicated that they are extremely old "with hair so white it almost seemed transparent" – which holds a contradiction of the life-shortening effects of the oath rod. There might be some hidden-from-readers fact explaining these, though.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 16, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Pleads posted:

One of the wise ones is mentioned to have very pale, basically white hair but a very youthful face which Rand/Egwene mention as being an unsettling combination akin to agelessness. Can't recall which one. That's probably what you're thinking of? I went through the series within the last few months myself and that's the closest I can think of.

and yeah how agelessness is described in the books is basically any middle aged actor irl, we don't find it unsettling because we're used to everyone on tv looking that way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Modern cosmetics in a premodern era = magic

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, the topic about the face stuff came up earlier and mostly the takeaway is that it makes no sense for them to burn a bunch of money on special effects needed to make something truly uncanny that also doesn't look weird and half-assed, and have it be something they have to do for a very large assortment of actors who will be frequently showing up. just one of those things that has to be sacrificed for the live action medium.

Same with the warder cloaks. Cool thing in the books, but there's very little point actually spending CGI money on that. Especially since they aren't really important or crucial at any point. Yeah, Lan is good at being sneaky, but the Aiel do that just fine without magical cloth - you don't need the fancy cloaks to have Lan capable enough of sneaking into the Whitecloak camp or whatever.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Barreft posted:

Actually I think you're right in some way,

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Oath_Rod#Ageless_Look

CainsDescendant posted:

One of the wise ones is mentioned to have very pale, basically white hair but a very youthful face which Rand/Egwene mention as being an unsettling combination akin to agelessness. Can't recall which one. That's probably what you're thinking of? I went through the series within the last few months myself and that's the closest I can think of.

So some combination of correct, wrong, and unreliable narrator. I'll take it!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pleads posted:

So some combination of correct, wrong, and unreliable narrator. I'll take it!

That's the Wheel! Always churning

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

CainsDescendant posted:

Egwene having the ageless face but knowing she hadn't held the oath rod was definitely a result of her dream reality and real reality blending in the test, though.
Or she was raised Amyrlin in Salidar and, after retaking the Tower, just ... never got around to swearing the Oaths? Or something similar, anyway, some weird anomalous situation where she ended up not swearing the Oaths when going from Accepted to something more, and many people didn't hear about it. That's how I'd always interpreted it, when she said that. The idea that it was her knowledge about the true world bleeding into her dream-self was new to me.

Barreft posted:

That's the Wheel! Always churning
You know what they say. The Wheel wheels as the Wheel wheels.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CainsDescendant posted:

we don't find it unsettling because we're used to everyone on tv looking that way.

Case in point: Rosamund Pike.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

One of the wise ones is mentioned to have very pale, basically white hair but a very youthful face which Rand/Egwene mention as being an unsettling combination akin to agelessness. Can't recall which one.

It's Amys.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Sanderson is "good" but for me at least it's the difference between, say, Kubrick's Apocalypse Now and, say, Captain America: Civil War. Ive watched both and enjoyed both but they aren't on the same level.

There wasn't a massive fantasy writing talent who also had lived experience of combat available to take over the series though so hey credit to Sanderson for managing to do as well as he did. If nothing else Sanderson got things close enough that I can imagine how Jordan might have written it.

I want to live in the alternate timeline where Gene Wolfe was selected to finish the novel. The guy served in Korea and is probably the best American fantasy author in history and was very good at tying plots together. I think the dialog between the Dark One and Rand in his hands might actually have ended up better than how Jordan had originally intended it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Please GoFundMe my series of seances to finish Wheel of Time from the only legitimate source via medium.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Please GoFundMe my series of seances to finish Wheel of Time from the only legitimate source via medium.

moving to south carolina to embark on a decades-long project to Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote the final wheel of time books

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Something I was really not a fan of was Rand and the rest of his male channelers getting a haram of slave aes sedai as things started getting close to wrapping up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

eke out posted:

moving to south carolina to embark on a decades-long project to Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote the final wheel of time books

I'm going to become the JokerJordan

Also, my Ouija board is doing more wpm than GRRM

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Mat's comedy under Jordan character driven -- "I'm no hero, I'm not a lord" (wears lace) (marries nobility) (constantly does heroic things because GODDAMMIT those idiots need help). Basically Mat has zero self-insight and that's his charm. He's a good dude who thinks he's selfish and wants to be selfish -- which we can all identify with -- but keeps on doing the right and necessary thing anyway.

Mat's comedy under Sanderson was quippy. Not bad, just not as well-executed.

That Siuane story she tells him about her uncle and a fire is one of the most recognizable pieces of dialogue in the whole saga.

That and, "kneel. Or be knelt.".

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Shageletic posted:

That Siuane story she tells him about her uncle and a fire is one of the most recognizable pieces of dialogue in the whole saga.

That and, "kneel. Or be knelt.".

I've been thinking of building a WoT quotes file. Just short one-liners that don't mean much to non-fans, but make fans of the series just go "gently caress." as they flash back to that moment. The one which keeps coming to mind (which, now that I check my ebook, I have a bit wrong): "I remember dying. I remember how I did it."

The exact line from the book is:

Knife of Dreams, ch. 19: Vows posted:

I seem to remember dying, Lews Therin murmured. I remember how I did it. He drew deeper still, and small pains grew in Rand’s temples.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

Something I was really not a fan of was Rand and the rest of his male channelers getting a haram of slave aes sedai as things started getting close to wrapping up.

That's a pretty big mischaracterization, IMO.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
One of my favorite little exchanges is more comedic. In the first book after Perrin and Egwene visit the Tinkers with Elyas there’s a little back and forth about how an older Tinker woman was teaching Egwene how to be a woman. Perrin remarks that no one teaches men how to be men and Egwene says that’s probably why you do such a bad job of it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Crini posted:

One of my favorite little exchanges is more comedic. In the first book after Perrin and Egwene visit the Tinkers with Elyas there’s a little back and forth about how an older Tinker woman was teaching Egwene how to be a woman. Perrin remarks that no one teaches men how to be men and Egwene says that’s probably why you do such a bad job of it.

its a great line and super true lol

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

:colbert: never forget the box

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How are u posted:

That's a pretty big mischaracterization, IMO.

How would you characterize it?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I thought it was a pretty clear way of demonstrating that things were hosed because one gender had been dominating the world for three thousand years and had grown arrogant and incompetent because of it and equilibrium needed to be restored. I don't think it was presented as a good thing and the way that things should be, I think it was presented as a first step towards regaining equality. Especially since it was followed by men and women starting to mutually bond each other.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
"harem" is wildly inaccurate for the ones following Rand, what the hell. It's never even obliquely implied that there's any sort of sex thing going on.

"Slave" is more arguable I guess given that they swore an oath to him, but because of how strong the ta'veren effect is you could say that there was no choice involved making the oath.

The sisters that move against the black tower and get captured are prisoners, sure, but there's still no remote implication of anything like creepy harems going on. I guess one of them deciding to sleep with Logain to get information out of him is the closest it gets? That's a huge reach though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the series very bluntly uses bonding as a metaphor and goes through multiple scenarios involving various events such as rand getting bonded against his will, something very widely despised by all who hear about it, and poo poo like lan's bond getting passed off to someone unrelated entirely which annoys and frustrates everyone involved

the black tower bonding aes sedai to keep them from trying to kill them is also never portrayed as a positive thing but at the least it's also not some weird sex thing going on. there's literally a direct juxtaposition shown where they're not being compelled to do anything of the sort, with one sister showing bewilderment at another one sleeping with logain but it just turning out that she basically feels like it and is also trying to get information out of him.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

WoT has a lot of interesting ideas of how to explore gender power dynamics and sexuality and society and all that but it just like, makes it 90% there. It's one reason why it's so hard to recommend to someone but absolutely fascinating to read.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

"harem" is wildly inaccurate for the ones following Rand, what the hell. It's never even obliquely implied that there's any sort of sex thing going on.

Part of the weave the asha'man use to bind them includes loving them. Jordan is never direct with his prose, especially on topics of sex, but it's 100% this. There's even an "on screen" rape done by Logain.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Part of the weave the asha'man use to bind them includes loving them. Jordan is never direct with his prose, especially on topics of sex, but it's 100% this. There's even an "on screen" rape done by Logain.

um no? there is a kiss involved, and they apologise and explain that they learned it that way because they initially learned to use the weaves on their wives. There is nothing whatsoever in the text to suggest anything more than that. And Logain does not rape the Aes Sedai, the text explicitly says she decided to try and seduce him for strategic purposes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yo what bizarre book series are some of y'all reading because it doesn't sound like wheel of time

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Johnny Joestar posted:

yo what bizarre book series are some of y'all reading because it doesn't sound like wheel of time

Someone switched the dust covers with Sword of Truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

um no? there is a kiss involved, and they apologise and explain that they learned it that way because they initially learned to use the weaves on their wives. There is nothing whatsoever in the text to suggest anything more than that. And Logain does not rape the Aes Sedai, the text explicitly says she decided to try and seduce him for strategic purposes.

Somebody here made the point that it kind of seems like it induces an orgasm in the bonded woman, which is as far as I go in saying that the text suggests more than a kiss.

But yeah, the Aes Sedai he actually has a physical relationship with was the initiator.