Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
OG SE might be on its last legs, but I can't say I'm excited to buy anything with FaceID since the only time I would want to use it would be out in public with a mask on. Maybe in a year the next one will have usb c and touch id on the power button like the ipad mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well you're in luck because faceid doesn't work with a mask on. the workaround is to buy an apple watch and your phone+watch will use wifi time-of-flight calculations to determine if, when your phone vaguely sees a face in the front camera, if it's within a few feet of your watch and unlock.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
or better yet buy the se2

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wild EEPROM posted:

or better yet buy the se2

or wait a few months and get the se3, touchid forever

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
maniacs
https://twitter.com/astr0baby/status/1449471211025715203

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

loving finally

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

loving finally

no kidding, the one thing that kept me from getting an arm mac

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
extremely good news

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
queer/trans dorks running dead operating systems on new hardware is an objective blessing and extremely metaphorical and i will always support it

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

njsykora posted:

or wait a few months and get the se3, touchid forever

Oh that's potentially a thing isn't it? Looks like the others were spring.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
made a jbod for my iTunes library and I can't believe I didn't think of it before.

now i gotta restore the backup from an external HDD and by god I'd forgotten how slow spinning rust can be. also it keeps loving disconnecting, but that's why I use rsync baby

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

well you're in luck because faceid doesn't work with a mask on. the workaround is to buy an apple watch and your phone+watch will use wifi time-of-flight calculations to determine if, when your phone vaguely sees a face in the front camera, if it's within a few feet of your watch and unlock.

the workaround is almost seamless though when you do have the apple watch. it’s just funny because they couldn’t have anticipated half the users wearing masks all the time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

oh my god they're really going to release all macbooks with a loving notch. lmao.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

spinning rust

i have an irrational hatred of this phrase. mfers think they're so clever

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

oh my god they're really going to release all macbooks with a loving notch. lmao.

yeah on the bottom so it doesn't sit flat and wobbles when you type.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i have an irrational hatred of this phrase. mfers think they're so clever

I’ve never seen a mechanical hdd rust. I don’t miss them though.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Apple only very recently stopped selling imacs with mechanical hdds. people in yospos defended them every time it was brought up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

watch the magsafe implementation be the same one on phones. where you have to set a laptop on the puck thing and it wobbles

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

I’m convinced the notch bar will be black 99% of the time and will only be used as a camera on indicator and maybe explicit opt in for full screen apps.

There is no way that full screen Remote Desktop is going to have a notch cutout.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Perplx posted:

I’m convinced the notch bar will be black 99% of the time and will only be used as a camera on indicator and maybe explicit opt in for full screen apps.

There is no way that full screen Remote Desktop is going to have a notch cutout.
this is basically what i predicted would happen with iphones and it did not come to pass. enjoy your last night in a world without notched laptop screens. lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh wait i mistook notch for the camera bump thing. lmao a notched screen on laptop is incredibly dumb

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the notch crying and bitching is going to be spectacular. I will bathe in your tears.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think notch will be cool and fine as long as they put the menu bar up there and figure out a way to cleanly work around the problem where there are enough menu items or system icons to run into it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

light mode macos users get poo poo on again lmao

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if I move my mouse along the top from left to right does my cursor: stop at at the notch,
go behind the notch and obscure my cursor,
trace around the notch or teleport to the side of the notch

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it should stop at the notch with haptic feedback in the touchpad whenever you bump into it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

it should stop at the notch with haptic feedback in the touchpad whenever you bump into it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

option to have the speaker buzz too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, i expect the notch will be fine, reducing the bezels on the macbooks was years overdue at any rate, and it is key that they squeeze out the last few millimeters so apple fans can now switch to being aghast that anyone can live and work with stuff like the xps13.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

(i mean, i am aghast at that too as a not very happy xps13 owner, but the format/bezels are excellent)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 18, 2021

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
oh no a bezel please avert this foul object from my eyes

ah, yes that's much better. a cool idiot notch

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
love to no longer be able to open the screen without putting finger marks on the screen bc there's no bezel

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

youre holding it wrong

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Zlodo posted:

love to no longer be able to open the screen without putting finger marks on the screen bc there's no bezel

this is already a problem with the current screens. my fingers are so fat, and my sweat so awful and acidic it eats through whatever thin layer they put on these things.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the ipad pro doesnt have a notch and it doesnt really work with macos' top menu bar

poty fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 18, 2021

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

this but it also makes the screen shake a little bit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think the notches will be cool and good and unlike the phones so small relative to the area of the screen that it’s barely going to be a thing

and you’ll basically never see it during videos since the screens are 16:10

Granite Octopus posted:

this is already a problem with the current screens. my fingers are so fat, and my sweat so awful and acidic it eats through whatever thin layer they put on these things.

wash your hands

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

are you a xenomorph?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bezels are good, they help you focus by separating screen content from the environment. bezel-less screens are already dumb but a loving notch on a laptop screen is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
remember the fixed apple logo in the middle of the menu bar from the mac os x public beta? it's back, in permanent part of the hardware form