Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Depending how mechanically inclined you are you can use a zip tie on the seat/chain stay or fork to at least true it, the dishing might get thrown off if it’s wildly out of true, as could the spoke tension, but it’s doable. I don’t really recommend it if you don’t know what you’re doing, but I’ve done it plenty of times before I got a proper stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

If you want to confirm that is the noise, just put a dab or triflow on each spoke crossing and spoke nipple/eyelet and see if it goes away.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Serendipitaet posted:

I can wiggle it about without much effort. Also, when I apply pressure at the points where the spoke pairs cross, I get a sound that is very similar to the one I hear when riding. That's probably it, right?

This is really not great and is probably the source of A sound if not the sound. If the spokes are too loose the rim can flex and generally kind of suck. Go get it trued by a professional! the spoke tension is probably all over the place on that wheel and it needs a practiced hand

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Go get it trued by a professional! the spoke tension is probably all over the place on that wheel and it needs a practiced hand
If they are charging less than $40, they probably are not retensioning the wheel and just making it straight with localized tension.

Loose spokes on an otherwise straight wheel are generally the first to break.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Wear the best respirator you can get your hands on.

2K clear is nasty stuff indeed.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for the input, all. I'll get the wheel issue fixed first and see if that does away with the noise.

e.pilot posted:

Depending how mechanically inclined you are you can use a zip tie on the seat/chain stay or fork to at least true it, the dishing might get thrown off if it’s wildly out of true, as could the spoke tension, but it’s doable. I don’t really recommend it if you don’t know what you’re doing, but I’ve done it plenty of times before I got a proper stand.

The wheel isn't really out of true laterally, but I noticed a bit of a wobble that goes "up and down" i.e. parallel to the spokes instead of the axle when I hold the bike and spin the wheel.

CopperHound posted:

If they are charging less than $40, they probably are not retensioning the wheel and just making it straight with localized tension.

This is kinda funny... I gave the bike to the place I bought it at for a tuneup after the first 1500k (on their recommendation). At the time, the back wheel was out of true with a visible lateral/side to side wobble, which I pointed out when I dropped the bike off. When I came to pick it up, they hadn't trued it. I mentioned it, they took it back to the workshop and I got it back after like 10 minutes, the wobble gone. But I think I started noticing the first intermittent sounds shortly after this.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
^^

honestly the rim itself sounds not great maybe even bent. Might be more practical just to swap it with a non shite wheel

CopperHound posted:

lmao okay yah let him true it himself.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

e.pilot posted:

if you want something fast get the schwalbe billy bonkers or g-one speed

Oops...
Big Apples roll well, but don't feel like they pedal well strangely enough.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

i'm considering getting schwalbe marathon tires cuz i'm sick of getting flats, but they have 35 different models on their site...obvi i can skip the e-bike ones, but does anyone have any recs for the other, idk, 31 models?

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?

Jazz Marimba posted:

i'm considering getting schwalbe marathon tires cuz i'm sick of getting flats, but they have 35 different models on their site...obvi i can skip the e-bike ones, but does anyone have any recs for the other, idk, 31 models?

Depends on the riding you're doing. The classic is the Marathon Plus (HS 440). The other plus models have different tread patterns if you need more grip. The regular Marathons (HS 420) are a little thinner but lighter. But we've sent a lot of people out of the shop with the Plus's before long trips and had them come back flatless, so that's my vote.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Jazz Marimba posted:

The e-bike ones aren't exclusively for e-bikes, it just means Schwalbe went out and got themselves a rating for that tire. A lot of tire models remain identical from one year to the next except for a new "e25 rated" decal.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I bought a Trek Dual Sport 2 back in July, been riding it around on mostly paved bike paths and sidewalks but also dusty gravel trails and maybe once or twice through mud and water. I haven't been on a bike really in 20 years before this so other than degreasing and lubricating my chain, I really haven't done anything outside that. I have been noticing some squeaking coming from what I imagine is the crank arm area as I peddle, and maybe over this past month it's been not as smooth as it was originally, I'm assuming I need to remove and reassemble the crank area, clean and grease it? I've eyeballed a few videos on youtube and it seems sort of.. complicated? Maybe I'm dumb and it's easier than I'm thinking. Any suggestions on the tools and stuff I need to get this done?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
It may be just a loose crank arm that's settled in, or the bottom bracket (the things the crankset fit into). I will let other posters chime in here, but the easiest thing to do here is to just take it to the shop and let them tighten things up. With that said, you could get the tools to do it yourself, but it may not be worth the trouble.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 19, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jazz Marimba posted:

Marathon greenguard are good. Almost as puncture resistant as marathon plus but lighter and cheaper.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

iroguebot posted:

I bought a Trek Dual Sport 2 back in July, been riding it around on mostly paved bike paths and sidewalks but also dusty gravel trails and maybe once or twice through mud and water. I haven't been on a bike really in 20 years before this so other than degreasing and lubricating my chain, I really haven't done anything outside that. I have been noticing some squeaking coming from what I imagine is the crank arm area as I peddle, and maybe over this past month it's been not as smooth as it was originally, I'm assuming I need to remove and reassemble the crank area, clean and grease it? I've eyeballed a few videos on youtube and it seems sort of.. complicated? Maybe I'm dumb and it's easier than I'm thinking. Any suggestions on the tools and stuff I need to get this done?

Could be the pedals, stock pedals suck on bikes and sometimes only last a few months.

Take it back to where you got it. Most shops will deal with minor stuff like this free of charge and this time of year if it's nothing major they might fix it in 10 minutes while you wait.

As far as what you should be doing, not much; Lightly lube the chain, keep it clean especially the stanchions (upper silver part of the arms) on the fork, don't spray anything but water on the rotors and check air pressure about every week or so.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Planet X posted:

It may be just a loose crank arm that's settled in, or the bottom bracket (the things the crankset fit into). You do not grease crankarms to the bottom bracket. I will let other posters chime in here, but the easiest thing to do here is to just take it to the shop and let them tighten things up. With that said, you could get the tools to do it yourself, but it may not be worth the trouble.

I dunno if this is BXM specific but sometimes creaky cranks can enjoy grease on the crank arm splines.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I always grease crankarms to the bb. Maaaybe it's a bad idea with square taper but it hasn't bit me yet. Seized cranks because of not enough antiseize/grease though - gently caress that's annoying.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Also depending on your crank, it may be recommended by the manufacturer. Easy to google and check the manual.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Gotcha, corrected above thanks, didnt know.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Also don't know how much it stuck out but it's less dealing with the creaking and more it feels harder to peddle. The actual peddles themselves where my feet go spin around and move fine, but it's more where the arms connect to the bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

iroguebot posted:

Also don't know how much it stuck out but it's less dealing with the creaking and more it feels harder to peddle. The actual peddles themselves where my feet go spin around and move fine, but it's more where the arms connect to the bike.

Definitely just take it back to the shop.
Might just need a new bottom bracket, but that is a cheap replacement and not much labor.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jazz Marimba posted:

The widest supremes that fit your frame.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Howdy howdy people

Im needing to replace the sheath/tubing(?) On some old cabled brakes

What exactly do I google/ask for ? I just keep getting hydraulic tubing online

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jestery posted:

Howdy howdy people

Im needing to replace the sheath/tubing(?) On some old cabled brakes

What exactly do I google/ask for ? I just keep getting hydraulic tubing online

Cable housing.

Just go to a shop with the old stuff and they'll cut you some new stuff from a big reel.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jfc

Thank you so much

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I am having issues with the chain getting stuck/coming off the guide pulley.

Info: Ultegra di2 setup (r8050), 50/34 with 11-28 cassette. I've been running this setup for a little over 2 years, having changed the chain twice, never had a stuck or dropped chain. A few weeks ago I changed the chain, cassette and the big chainring and now I've had this problem like 6-7 times. Haven't touched the derailleurs nor changed anything else, just swapped parts. Chain is the same, cut to the same length. Everything is installed in the direction its supposed to.

Now, this only seems to occur when I am in the big ring/big cog combo and I switch to the small ring while pedalling slowly, yes I know I should not be cross chaining, but sometimes I miscalculate the slope grade/length and I just get stuck. Sometimes I just do it so I dont have to shift from the small -> big ring when coming to the end of the slope. The problem is that this hasnt happened in over 2 years of me doing the same.

What can I check? I've had the bike over at my lbs and we checked all the parts and everything seems straight, hanger is fine, wheel is centered, rest is new. I've been using semi-syncro since always, but now I think I'll be trying the full syncro to prevent me cross chaining. As a precaution I did order a set of plates to replace (its all scraped now and there is one part that has a cut from the chain, maybe something is bent slightly there).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

El Laucha posted:

I am having issues with the chain getting stuck/coming off the guide pulley.

Info: Ultegra di2 setup (r8050), 50/34 with 11-28 cassette. I've been running this setup for a little over 2 years, having changed the chain twice, never had a stuck or dropped chain. A few weeks ago I changed the chain, cassette and the big chainring and now I've had this problem like 6-7 times. Haven't touched the derailleurs nor changed anything else, just swapped parts. Chain is the same, cut to the same length. Everything is installed in the direction its supposed to.

Now, this only seems to occur when I am in the big ring/big cog combo and I switch to the small ring while pedalling slowly, yes I know I should not be cross chaining, but sometimes I miscalculate the slope grade/length and I just get stuck. Sometimes I just do it so I dont have to shift from the small -> big ring when coming to the end of the slope. The problem is that this hasnt happened in over 2 years of me doing the same.

What can I check? I've had the bike over at my lbs and we checked all the parts and everything seems straight, hanger is fine, wheel is centered, rest is new. I've been using semi-syncro since always, but now I think I'll be trying the full syncro to prevent me cross chaining. As a precaution I did order a set of plates to replace (its all scraped now and there is one part that has a cut from the chain, maybe something is bent slightly there).

Does your guide pulley use a narrow/wide toothing (I don't know road bikes)? Maybe it isn't being seated on the proper tooth if so?

Otherwise I'd check your B screw, maybe the pulley is too close to the cassette and when you shift it's causing increased lateral force on the chain and it just pops off.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hows the wear on the small ring, can you post a pic?

Its the only thing you didn't replace and it might not be meshing well with the new chain if its worn.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Jestery posted:

Jfc

Thank you so much

Always replace your inners at the same time too, it's super simple (and cheap) but you do need a pair of snips that can cut stainless steel braided wire.

Getting the old inner back into a new outer is not fun job, a new cable comes with the end of the braid spot welded together.

I think the snips I use were about $6 from an auto parts store.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I think i got some rattling round in the toolbox

My end goal is a more aesthetic plan with some white housing

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

eSporks posted:

Hows the wear on the small ring, can you post a pic?

Its the only thing you didn't replace and it might not be meshing well with the new chain if its worn.

Didnt look worn, but my lbs sanded it a bit while I wait for the replacement parts. Seems to have worked, for now.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

El Laucha posted:

my lbs sanded it a bit

What the gently caress?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SimonSays posted:

What the gently caress?
Sometimes chainring teeth get bashed up. It seems reasonable for a good mechanic to offer a safe temporary solution if new parts are not immediately available.

Not everyone has the luxury of not having to ride their bike and helping them make do with what is available is an important service.

E: I love to keep a bike with clean new parts, but in the end all it has to do is just go and stop without killing the rider.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 14, 2021

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Same thing happens with cars, sometimes you just have to keep it on the road until you can do it right. It's reasonable.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I just bought a used 2015 Trek Farley 6, running tubeless. I have a squeak that I can't track down when I ride at 8 PSI, but it goes away with I air up the tires (~15 PSI). It doesn't appear to be pedals or seat-related. Doesn't happen on a bike stand. Appears to be linked to wheel rotation (when I hear it, I can stop and push the bike forward slowly and get the squeak; appears periodic and happens more frequently when riding faster) couldn't reproduce but I hadn't figured out it was tire pressure related when I took it in. Hubs? Spoke tension?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, its a temp fix while the parts arrive (found them on aliexpress so its going to take a while).

I was actually considering changing the whole rear derailleur.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Edit: wrong thread probably, oops

Time fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 15, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I assume this is a total loss for this wheel? It's off a 70s schwinn le tour III front wheel, is it possible to find a replacement cone that would fit? The hub shell races have some discoloration but are functional I think.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have had luck finding hubs to cannibalize at my local bike coop. If you have something like that or a used bike stuff store with a big shop, you might be in luck. Carefully drive the cone out of the shroud by using a socket that it’ll fit over and tapping the cone itself with a hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I assume this is a total loss for this wheel? It's off a 70s schwinn le tour III front wheel, is it possible to find a replacement cone that would fit? The hub shell races have some discoloration but are functional I think.

It's not particularly dangerous to ride on this, mind you, but it'll be hard to find a replacement without cannibalizing another wheel of the same make and vintage.