Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Yeah what is up with the “hard places create hard men” meme. Every chapter recruiting the mightiest warriors from a death world is kind of boring. It would be great if some chapter’s recruitment process was like the old Chinese civil service exams and the dude that wrote the slickest 8-legged essay about the virtues of the emperor got stuffed full of magic organs and turned into a walking tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lawdog69 posted:

Yeah what is up with the “hard places create hard men” meme. Every chapter recruiting the mightiest warriors from a death world is kind of boring. It would be great if some chapter’s recruitment process was like the old Chinese civil service exams and the dude that wrote the slickest 8-legged essay about the virtues of the emperor got stuffed full of magic organs and turned into a walking tank.

I've always assumed that IS how they do it on Macragge. Because that ain't no Death World!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lawdog69 posted:

The book, Space Marine, did a little bit of this. The Imperial Fist recruiter marine asked the three main characters about the Emperor's name. The upper class boy said "Awesome", the middle class nerd said "Willpower", and the working class ganger said "Bigger-Than-You".

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Kaal posted:

In my headcanon half of the legion are actually aligned with Chaos and the other half of the legion are secret double-agents. This goes all the way up to Alpharius and Omegon, and no one will know which one is the true believer until they reveal themselves at the End Times.

Don’t let John French/Fists fans hear you say that, they’re touchy about any suggestion that Alpharius is still alive.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jng2058 posted:

While true, this presents an incomplete story, since there was that stretch in the middle there from 2012-2017 where Abnett wasn't writing anything for Black Library at all. If we ignore those five years than we'll only have like a four year gap...so you know, 2025 or so?

He also had a really nasty split with his writing partner in 2013 but they still had to work together for another year to finish some contracted work. Took the wind out his sale for a little while.

Are any of the GSC books any good? Thought I'd try one with the new one coming next year.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Probably less of a big deal than his epilepsy diagnosis TBH.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

von Metternich posted:

Don’t let John French/Fists fans hear you say that, they’re touchy about any suggestion that Alpharius is still alive.

French has said that he wrote it as Alpharius miscalculating his ability to make the fight look good while he explained things to Rogal, but given that this is Alpharius that's not guaranteed, and even if it is then Omegon is still active (and is confirmed alive.)

On balance, it's more likely that Omegon is loyal. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have gone along with Alpharius' plan to burn their assets in th Sol system and give the traitors bad Intel.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Speaking of Dan Abnett, he wrote a Guardians of the Galaxy audio book for Audible, and it’s amazing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lawdog69 posted:

Yeah what is up with the “hard places create hard men” meme.

It's an artifact of Dune's influence, which had the Sardaukar (the Emperor's elite troops) being unstoppable badasses because they were recruited from a deathworld/prison world. Later they'd be beaten by the Fremen, who were also from a deathworld.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's an artifact of Dune's influence, which had the Sardaukar (the Emperor's elite troops) being unstoppable badasses because they were recruited from a deathworld/prison world. Later they'd be beaten by the Fremen, who were also from a deathworld.

The phrase is relatevly recent however the idea itself is much older than Dune. Also it's a fash favourite.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Perfect time to post this historian's posts on the idea of the militarily superior barbarian and its history: https://acoup.blog/2020/01/17/collections-the-fremen-mirage-part-i-war-at-the-dawn-of-civilization/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

The phrase is relatevly recent however the idea itself is much older than Dune. Also it's a fash favourite.

Oh for sure, but I'm talking about its place in 40K.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

FPyat posted:

Perfect time to post this historian's posts on the idea of the militarily superior barbarian and its history: https://acoup.blog/2020/01/17/collections-the-fremen-mirage-part-i-war-at-the-dawn-of-civilization/

Heavily recommend this series. (The Dune stuff is in part 4 I believe)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
People get touchy about the alpha legion because you can only pull the "BUT IS THIS TRUE??????" card so many times before it becomes incredibly tiring and not worth the effort to read the story or whatever.

It's the GW policy of not moving the plot forward at all distilled into a single legion.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 20, 2021

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

He's basically dismantling the whole "hard places create hard men" narrative.

One of the things I liked in Dante was the aspirants (who have been through hell just to get to the gate) being given one last chance to leave before the process begins. When a few of them decide to nope out some of the others jeer until the giant astartes slaps them down, telling them that those leaving are honest enough to know their place and serve a purpose being husbands and fathers to provide the future of the legion

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Telsa Cola posted:

People get touchy about the alpha legion because you can only pull the "BUT IS THIS TRUE??????" card so many times before it becomes incredibly tiring and not worth the effort to read the story or whatever.

It's the GW policy of not moving the plot forward at all distilled into a single legion.

I'm sympathetic to that argument in theory, but in the horus heresy, the Alpha Legion is kind of underwritten, their main introductory book isn't really about them, the other characters barely talk about them (In Slaves to Darkness, when Horus is theoretically getting the band back together for the assault on Earth, they show up for all of one paragraph), and then they're not at Terra for the siege. I'm not a huge Alpha Legion fanboy, but they haven't been well served by the Heresy series, IMO, the least GW can do is let them keep both primarchs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
TBF the alpha legion had even less going on before the Heresy series started, somehow

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I feel like there is only so much you can do with a Legion whose whole identity is centered around trite "gotcha" plot twists, loyalty switches, and misdirection. You can only say "but wait, that was actually a lie!" so many times before people stop listening to anything you say.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know if I was just in a weird mood, but this weeks Hammer & Bolter on Warhammer+ is probably the best 20 minutes they've aired thus far of the entire library. I am just all bubbly. The emotional response I got from this is off the charts.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
So are the Alpha Legion supposed to be in colour-shift purple/green armour? In Legion you have their armour described as purple but everywhere else its that greenish-blue.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Philthy posted:

I don't know if I was just in a weird mood, but this weeks Hammer & Bolter on Warhammer+ is probably the best 20 minutes they've aired thus far of the entire library. I am just all bubbly. The emotional response I got from this is off the charts.

:agreed:

Seeing the Ultramarines in battle from the Aeldari point of view really strikes home the fact that even the warrior paragons of Humanity, are loving monsters. Then I started wondering what lead up to the conflict or if it was a simple matter of the Imperium doing what the Imperium does.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

The recent Alpha Legion stuff by Mike Brooks is quite good and gives them some more characterization than the typical stuff we’ve had earlier

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

So are the Alpha Legion supposed to be in colour-shift purple/green armour? In Legion you have their armour described as purple but everywhere else its that greenish-blue.

It's purple pre-heresy and greeny-blue post-heresy afaik.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Fellblade posted:

Yup

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
If you haven't read the new Alpharius book then you really should, it makes some quite big pre-Heresy lore changes as well as being a well-written novella in itself.

Horus wasn't the first primarch to be found, Alpharius was found on Terra long beforehand. The Alpha Legion was active from the beginning of the crusade and did black ops stuff ahead of other legions arriving so that Compliance was easier to obtain.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

kim jong-illin posted:

If you haven't read the new Alpharius book then you really should, it makes some quite big pre-Heresy lore changes as well as being a well-written novella in itself.

Horus wasn't the first primarch to be found, Alpharius was found on Terra long beforehand. The Alpha Legion was active from the beginning of the crusade and did black ops stuff ahead of other legions arriving so that Compliance was easier to obtain.

of course, that's only if you believe alpharius

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Am I blind/stupid, or does the Gaunt's Ghosts audio book series skip everything between Straight Silver and Salvation's Reach?

Because dear God, I'm gonna be pissed if that's the case. I'd be missing so goddamn much that I was looking forward to. Sanian the saint, the Gereon 12, the meetup with Ezrah, the return from Gereon, the return TO Gereon, the return to Balhaut, fething loving Cuu, Dalin growing up.

Jesus Christ

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Am I blind/stupid, or does the Gaunt's Ghosts audio book series skip everything between Straight Silver and Salvation's Reach?

Because dear God, I'm gonna be pissed if that's the case. I'd be missing so goddamn much that I was looking forward to. Sanian the saint, the Gereon 12, the meetup with Ezrah, the return from Gereon, the return TO Gereon, the return to Balhaut, fething loving Cuu, Dalin growing up.

Jesus Christ

Yeah, the older books never originally had audio versions, so they're slowly (very slowly...) catching up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Jesus Christ

You are correct. The middle of the series hasn't been adapted to audiobook yet. It's particularly egregious in missing Blood Pact since that's the start of the Victory arc, and a natural jump on point, for the later books that they do have. So dumb of them. :sigh:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Fuuuck me, that's a huge bummer.
I'm almost through honor guard, and then I only have guns of tanith and straight silver left.

Guess, I'll be re-reading the missing parts, because I'm hooked again hard, and Toby Longworth's narration is absolutely incredible.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fellblade posted:

But the FW Horus Heresy are all greeny blue?

Or did they repaint their armour double quick after hostilities starter. Don't think any of the other traitor legions really changed much of their livery before they ended up in the EoT IIRC.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Z the IVth posted:

But the FW Horus Heresy are all greeny blue?

Or did they repaint their armour double quick after hostilities starter. Don't think any of the other traitor legions really changed much of their livery before they ended up in the EoT IIRC.

The word bearers switched to red before the betrayal at Calth, didn't they?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Z the IVth posted:

It's noted in the forge world books that the Alpha Legion changes their color scheme all the time. Also names, ranks, unit markings, iconography, etc.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

Going by memory here, but does that mean that the old story of Horus finding Alpharius (while fighting his armies) and then spending years with him before he got to meet the emperor was retconned? Or was it Omegon? Why would Omegon say "hi, I'm Alpharius" if Alpharius had been on Terra all that time? Was he in touch with his twin brother? Did he literally let Horus get into a fight with his brother as part of OUR CUNNING PLAN ALL ALONG?

I mean, yeah it's a cool twist and kind of explains why Alpharius was the last primarch to be found, but unless they changed the old origin story of Horus battling a fleet and then recognising his brother during a final duel on the flagship it kind of falls apart.

OR DOES IT?!?!?!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh for sure, but I'm talking about its place in 40K.

There's also Harry Harrison's Deathworld trilogy. A human colony on a world that's actively trying to kill them breeds a population of ultimate badasses. They're fun, read them.

https://smile.amazon.com/Deathworld-Wildside-Harry-Harrison-ebook/dp/B001RIYZJQ/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

This is my favourite Alpha Legion colour scheme

:ssh:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Dog_Meat posted:

Going by memory here, but does that mean that the old story of Horus finding Alpharius (while fighting his armies) and then spending years with him before he got to meet the emperor was retconned? Or was it Omegon? Why would Omegon say "hi, I'm Alpharius" if Alpharius had been on Terra all that time? Was he in touch with his twin brother? Did he literally let Horus get into a fight with his brother as part of OUR CUNNING PLAN ALL ALONG?

I mean, yeah it's a cool twist and kind of explains why Alpharius was the last primarch to be found, but unless they changed the old origin story of Horus battling a fleet and then recognising his brother during a final duel on the flagship it kind of falls apart.

OR DOES IT?!?!?!

Horus doesn't find Omegon, Alpharius gets to him first then lets Horus 'discover' him.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Big Willy Style posted:

Horus doesn't find Omegon, Alpharius gets to him first then lets Horus 'discover' him.

Yeah, the alpha legion has been one of my favourite legions ever since reading Abnett's book with them, I love the idea of a legion that values its human operatives just as much as its space marines.
Plus, almost every time they come up, the guys fighting them are just super pissed off and confused. I mean, one of their battle cries is "For the Emperor", that's classic. And hell, maybe even true!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I really liked Alpharius meeting Valdor for the first time and has a hard time deciding if he should just slaughter him to make a point for daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could a primarch kill a custodian ? Idk