Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

This Doris Wishman category on the channel looks interesting. What’s the best/most popular one to try?

Bad Girls Go to Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Watched The Human Condition part 1 with friends today and I'm still reeling from the incredible tonal whiplash in the last minute. Easily the funniest goddamn thing I've seen in a while.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steen71 posted:

Ritrovata up to their usual poo poo on Criterion's The Damned. At this point the company is just a joke, and it's a mystery why they're still allowed to do colour-grading.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Damned-Blu-ray/293164/#Review

The usual grey blacks and yellow-greenish white:

That restoration was supervised by the DP’s son (who is also a DP and shot Santa Sangre), though.

I don’t get all the hate for Ritrovata and Eclair lately. The screenshots look strange on their own, but in actual playback on my setup, they look great. Perhaps I just like the warmer tones? Even the Leone films don’t look as off in motion. Perhaps the color space works differently or something?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

That restoration was supervised by the DP’s son (who is also a DP and shot Santa Sangre), though.

That's what they always say. "It was supervised by X." Like, Warner claimed that the EE Fellowship blu-ray was supervised (or approved) by Peter Jackson. Sony claimed that the 2007 Bram Stoker's Dracula BD was approved by... someone involved in the original production. It is meaningless spin.

And even if true, what does it help if their colour grading monitor is completely off - which is the most likely explanation at this point.

e: Also, it's not exactly "lately". People have been aware of this for quite a few years now.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 11, 2021

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There are elements to the Ritro tones that I like, but the universality of it is kind of painful and even when watching one of their versions in a movie theatre, where theoretically you should be able to thoroughly immerse yourself in the grading design, I find myself picking up on the weird highlights. I saw Colour of Pomegranates at TIFF a couple of years ago and there were scenes where the whites were so teal it looked like a bad underwater effect. The Varda set fared pretty well but even when watching a film like One Sings, where a character travels to a desert climate, it was hard not to be overwhelmed by the urinary tint.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

On that note, is Color of Pomegranates worth the watch?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
urinary tint infection

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Steen71 posted:

And even if true, what does it help if their colour grading monitor is completely off - which is the most likely explanation at this point.

Nah, it's 100% the particular LUT they're using and colorist preference to achieve a consistent look between the digital masters and the 35 mm film outs. Any competent colorist or video tech would be able to tell if a display was off that much using most basic video test patterns.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
e: wrong thread

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Lure was a batshit insane gothic synth pop horror musical and I think I loved it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I, Butthole posted:

The Lure was a batshit insane gothic synth pop horror musical and I think I loved it?

I can assure that you did because it rules.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
January:

4Ks of A Hard Day's Night and The Piano
Blus of Time and Festen

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the piano is a get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOAMdW4mvPU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Incredibly yes

I'm also kind of sold on Festen for the personal hilarity of buying a Dogme 95 film shot on video that has a 2k restoration

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

I, Butthole posted:

I'm also kind of sold on Festen for the personal hilarity of buying a Dogme 95 film shot on video that has a 2k restoration
the packaging for it is perfect

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also Festen rules.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
losin it at that festen cover

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Pfff, I refuse to buy a non-UHD edition of this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Coaaab posted:

the packaging for it is perfect

I came in here to say this. Absolutely brilliant packaging for a dogme 95 film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

they changed the cover for uncut gems and yet the K remains

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

they changed the cover for uncut gems and yet the K remains

They are going to replace it...

...with a picture of Big Daddy Kane.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That'll set em off.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Wizchine posted:

They are going to replace it...

...with a picture of Big Daddy Kane.

I would've thought the bird with no eyeball myself.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flash sale starts tomorrow at noon EST.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Ended up getting:

After Life
Come and See
Memories of Murder
Mirror

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Huh, Beasts of No Nation is on Criterion. Wasn’t that film initially backed by Netflix? I wonder if there are other Netflix movies on Criterion...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Huh, Beasts of No Nation is on Criterion. Wasn’t that film initially backed by Netflix? I wonder if there are other Netflix movies on Criterion...

There are, Roma for example. And Amazon has lent a certain number of titles like Cold War and the upcoming One Night In Miami. And both seemed to kind of loosely commit to keep doing so, which def defied my expectations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, Criterion has a deal with Netflix
So Marriage Story and the Irishman are also on Criterion.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, Criterion has a deal with Netflix
So Marriage Story and the Irishman are also on Criterion.

to continue my rant from the CineD GenChat thread the other day, they gotta work out a deal with whomever owns the rights to Freddy Got Fingered

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ordered The Brood, Tie Me Up Tie Me Down, and Desert Hearts.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There are so many titles in the catalog now that I'm always at a loss.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Picked up the Bruce Lee box set. I've been meaning to get it for a while now and I keep putting it off. Seems like now is the time.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Onibaba any good? seems like a good halloween wath

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcella posted:

I've seen a few reviews for it in the october challenge thread and they were all quite positive

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Arcella posted:

Yeah, it rules.

Kuroneko also rules.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

to continue my rant from the CineD GenChat thread the other day, they gotta work out a deal with whomever owns the rights to Freddy Got Fingered

Iirc Disney owns Freddy Got Fingered

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arcella posted:

It's excellent.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Egbert Souse posted:

Flash sale starts tomorrow at noon EST.

This sale only extends to DVD and BR copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DevCore posted:

This sale only extends to DVD and BR copies.

What does that leave out, t-shirts?