Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Didn’t the all red Thunderbolts end up being pretty fun, or was that just the annual or whatever that had Elsa Bloodstone feature in it?

It was fun after it changed writers to Charles Soule, before that it was pretty dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I have just finished the short Captain America story "The Bloodstone Hunt." It was pretty decent. One thing I liked was Diamondback's continuing horniness for Cap, also that she could understand ancient Egyptian because she'd been taught it by her team mate The Asp. What are the better good guy/bad guy match ups in comics?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Black Bolt and Absorbing Man in the Black Bolt series (it starts in the first arc), the Cap and Scott Summers team up in A+X, the Magneto/superior Spider-Man team up in same.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gwenpool/Batroc

Spider-Woman x Porcupine

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

I have just finished the short Captain America story "The Bloodstone Hunt." It was pretty decent. One thing I liked was Diamondback's continuing horniness for Cap, also that she could understand ancient Egyptian because she'd been taught it by her team mate The Asp. What are the better good guy/bad guy match ups in comics?

Hawkeye and Moonstone from Thunderbolts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Black Bolt and Absorbing Man in the Black Bolt series (it starts in the first arc), the Cap and Scott Summers team up in A+X, the Magneto/superior Spider-Man team up in same.

Sorry I meant romantic match ups, were they romantic?

site posted:

Spider-Woman x Porcupine

I thought that one was a bit of an odd one, but I haven't followed up on it that much so I don't know how its panned out, glad to see it's a good one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Sorry I meant romantic match ups, were they romantic?

I thought that one was a bit of an odd one, but I haven't followed up on it that much so I don't know how its panned out, glad to see it's a good one.

Ahh, Black Cat and Daredevil in Waid's run was pretty fun. And she flirts with a bunch of super heroes in her own book.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bessantj posted:

It was going great until the current Spider-Woman book turned Jess into a manic coke head (okay, okay, it was some sort of flawed serum not actual cocaine) and broke them up.

Pacheco :argh:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

howe_sam posted:

It was going great until the current Spider-Woman book turned Jess into a manic coke head (okay, okay, it was some sort of flawed serum not actual cocaine) and broke them up.

Pacheco :argh:

Oh are they loving with her powers again or something?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it hasn't been a good run at all I'm not sure why i keep reading it tbh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

That sounds completely terrible, thank you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bessantj posted:

There was a pretty good Madame Masque/Iron Man story line that got a really lovely joke ending/reference at a later time

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bessantj posted:

Oh are they loving with her powers again or something?

Yeah, something like that. Pacheco has this real hyper adrenalized storytelling style on the book that is honestly exhausting to read.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

There was a pretty good Madame Masque/Iron Man story line that got a really lovely joke ending/reference at a later time

I remember that, in Bendis' New Avengers: Illuminati. "Why would you date a woman who looks like Doctor Doom?"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So while Acts of Vengeance is going on (there seems to be a requirement that in every issue someone says "ACTS OF VENGEANCE!") X-Factor has their own mini event "Judgement War", unfortunately MU doesn't have the issues on their site. I read the synopses for it:

quote:

X-Factor (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman, and Archangel) are kidnapped and brought to a planet where individuals are revered by how close their physical body is to perfection. Jean, who is flawless, is held in high reverence by the society. The Celestials are currently judging this world and its fate hangs in the balance.

Is it any good?

I never realised how many of these small one book events/arcs there were.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The synopsis makes it sound horny enough that I'm surprised that Claremont didn't write it, even though I know he never wrote X-Factor.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jean, who is flawless

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

site posted:

Jean, who is flawless

That did make me laugh, they're all pretty flawless.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

bessantj posted:

So while Acts of Vengeance is going on (there seems to be a requirement that in every issue someone says "ACTS OF VENGEANCE!") X-Factor has their own mini event "Judgement War", unfortunately MU doesn't have the issues on their site. I read the synopses for it:

Is it any good?

all the X-books simultaneously took everybody off the table right around Acts of Vengeance - main team went through the Siege Perilous, New Mutants went to Asgard, Excalibur did some time traveling, and X-Factor's whole house got sucked into space. I don't know if they were specifically *avoiding* Acts of Vengeance or if they figured that the X-books had just done Inferno and maybe needed a break but all of these stories run longer than they really ought to and feel real plate-spinny after a while. X-Factor winds up with some good Paul Smith art in service to like a bog standard forced gladiatorial combat plot that involves the Celestials a little bit and also Jean switching between her own, Madelyne Pryor's, and Phoenix's personalities. not terrible, but nothing to, like, seek out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

Boy are you in for a surprise when you hit the 2000's and every comic is just six issue story arcs. :v:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Think that might have been my first experience with the Celestials when I was a kid.

Anybody have any other decent stories involving the Celestials without the Eternals present? Thor 283, 300, and 387-388 were all about how even the Asgardian’s might paled in comparison to the Celestials. Hickman’s SHIELD series used the infant Celestial to great effect. Jason Aaron’s Avengers started with some crazy Celestial shenanigans, with the corpse of one becoming the Avengers current base.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Karma Tornado posted:

all the X-books simultaneously took everybody off the table right around Acts of Vengeance - main team went through the Siege Perilous, New Mutants went to Asgard, Excalibur did some time traveling, and X-Factor's whole house got sucked into space. I don't know if they were specifically *avoiding* Acts of Vengeance or if they figured that the X-books had just done Inferno and maybe needed a break but all of these stories run longer than they really ought to and feel real plate-spinny after a while. X-Factor winds up with some good Paul Smith art in service to like a bog standard forced gladiatorial combat plot that involves the Celestials a little bit and also Jean switching between her own, Madelyne Pryor's, and Phoenix's personalities. not terrible, but nothing to, like, seek out.
I think all the above plotlines had less to do with avoiding Acts of Vengeance (three of the four books did tie in, X-Factor for one issue, Uncanny/New Mutants for three issues apiece) as much as them trying something new in terms of loose events.

There had been increasingly large X-Book-Centric events for the previous (Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Inferno) every year, and in 1989 they tried to make it a more Avengers-centric big event. Not having to build to a cross-book event might have given Claremont and Simonson a bit more freedom to "take the teams off of the table", but again, the New Mutants and X-Factor were back in New York in time to participate in the crossover and Acts of Vengeance is specifically why we had almost thirty years of Asian Betsy Braddock, so they did a bad job of avoiding it. Though 1989 was also where a lot of the wheels were starting to fall off some editorial stuff at Marvel, so who knows what the original motive vs. the final result was?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

Think that might have been my first experience with the Celestials when I was a kid.

Anybody have any other decent stories involving the Celestials without the Eternals present? Thor 283, 300, and 387-388 were all about how even the Asgardian’s might paled in comparison to the Celestials. Hickman’s SHIELD series used the infant Celestial to great effect. Jason Aaron’s Avengers started with some crazy Celestial shenanigans, with the corpse of one becoming the Avengers current base.

Not mainline continuity but Earth-X has Celestials as the bad guys. Don't read any of the sequels.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I remember that, in Bendis' New Avengers: Illuminati. "Why would you date a woman who looks like Doctor Doom?"

Bendis wrote an issue of New Avengers in which the Kurt Gerhardt Foolkiller was (a) breaking out of the Raft, despite the end of the miniseries in which he was introduced having him change his name and face and give up the Foolkiller mantle and (b) having some sort of grudge against Spider-Man, despite the fact that Spider-Man appeared in that miniseries once and the two never actually even interacted in that issue.

gently caress Bendis. He just skimmed OHOTMUs for the illusion of depth, but never gave a dried rolling turd about characterization beyond what he cribbed off of the late 90s - early 00s cop shows he was clearly aping.

He turned decades of interaction between Tony Stark and Whitney Frost into a loving butterface joke, which is rich coming from a man who looks like he was sculpted from a block of margarine.

And yes, :goonsay:, but if you don't actually care about established characterisation then just create a new character or don't bother, you tiresome hacks.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Edge & Christian posted:

I think all the above plotlines had less to do with avoiding Acts of Vengeance (three of the four books did tie in, X-Factor for one issue, Uncanny/New Mutants for three issues apiece) as much as them trying something new in terms of loose events.

There had been increasingly large X-Book-Centric events for the previous (Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Inferno) every year, and in 1989 they tried to make it a more Avengers-centric big event. Not having to build to a cross-book event might have given Claremont and Simonson a bit more freedom to "take the teams off of the table", but again, the New Mutants and X-Factor were back in New York in time to participate in the crossover and Acts of Vengeance is specifically why we had almost thirty years of Asian Betsy Braddock, so they did a bad job of avoiding it. Though 1989 was also where a lot of the wheels were starting to fall off some editorial stuff at Marvel, so who knows what the original motive vs. the final result was?

the New Mutants tie in is the Rusty and the Vulture in jail subplot, right? the main team isn't back from Asgard until right before Liefeld takes over, if I'm remembering right. and X-Factor's is Apocalypse telling Loki his plan is dumb, I think in a backup. I'd forgotten about the Lady Mandarin thing being part of AoV for sure, though, but the other tie ins feel like the X-office putting in a token effort towards the rest of the line's story, the main characters don't even participate. but, yeah, editorial gets super dicey around then and who knows what any of the actual plans were.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Karma Tornado posted:

the New Mutants tie in is the Rusty and the Vulture in jail subplot, right? the main team isn't back from Asgard until right before Liefeld takes over, if I'm remembering right. and X-Factor's is Apocalypse telling Loki his plan is dumb, I think in a backup. I'd forgotten about the Lady Mandarin thing being part of AoV for sure, though, but the other tie ins feel like the X-office putting in a token effort towards the rest of the line's story, the main characters don't even participate. but, yeah, editorial gets super dicey around then and who knows what any of the actual plans were.
Liefeld's first issue is the third and final AoV tie-in, primarily the Rusty/Vulture subplot, and also the issue where the rest of the team returns from Asgard.

NM84: 20 pages in Asgard, 2 pages with Rusty and the Vulture
NM85: 20 pages in Asgard, 2 pages with Rusty and the Vulture
NM86: 2 pages in Asgard, 21 pages with Rusty and the Vulture (and the Mutant Liberation Front)

Weirdly imbalanced to call all three issues "tie-ins", but there was a signficant amount of non-Asgard content there. I'm pretty sure there's an issue of Quasar that has like a page and a half of Venom jumping at Quasar and getting stuck in a quantum bubble and dropped off at the Vault, and that was enough for them to slap a 'tie in' corner logo.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

muscles like this! posted:

Not mainline continuity but Earth-X has Celestials as the bad guys. Don't read any of the sequels.

I mean, the Celestials tamper with everyone's genetics then wipe out planets that don't live up to their arbitrary standards. I think they're always the bad guys.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Weirdly imbalanced to call all three issues "tie-ins", but there was a signficant amount of non-Asgard content there. I'm pretty sure there's an issue of Quasar that has like a page and a half of Venom jumping at Quasar and getting stuck in a quantum bubble and dropped off at the Vault, and that was enough for them to slap a 'tie in' corner logo.

It feels like something similar would have happened when Hobgoblin showed up in Dr. Strange's book during AoV.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Boy are you in for a surprise when you hit the 2000's and every comic is just six issue story arcs. :v:

It feels an obvious thing to do to get people to buy more books but I've gotten used to the single issue stuff as I've been reading from the start.

As I've been reading Marvel's output from the beginning I've been using CMRO as it's a good guide to what is on MU. I've sorted it into 100 comics per page and am just short of halfway down page 64 which is around mid 1989 year wise. There are 255 pages so long way to go yet and it really shows how many titles they started off publishing v how many they published from the 90s onward.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Is it any good?

I recently listened to the Jay and Miles episode about it and they both really liked it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

It feels like something similar would have happened when Hobgoblin showed up in Dr. Strange's book during AoV.

In Quasar, after beating Venom he fights a magical Thor villain and the mastermind of Acts of Vengeance shows up for a page. In that issue of Dr. Strange, it really is kind of a short fight, though it sets up some stuff for Spider-Man.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have a Y: The Last Man question, all I'm looking for is Yes/No. Do you ever find out why Yorick wasn't affected by the virus?

I don't want to know the specifics but yes / no is fine

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
No.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wonderful! I can just stop thinking about that part and just focus on everything else!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SalTheBard posted:

I have a Y: The Last Man question, all I'm looking for is Yes/No. Do you ever find out why Yorick wasn't affected by the virus?

I don't want to know the specifics but yes / no is fine

Yes and it was really dumb.

Like the ending was so bad it made me seriously consider not watching the TV show* and it made my brother refuse to watch the show until it's over just to make sure they changed the ending.

*= I am watching the TV show. It's okay but last weeks episode had the main characters be REALLY dumb for no reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure we did.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

Yes and it was really dumb.

Like the ending was so bad it made me seriously consider not watching the TV show* and it made my brother refuse to watch the show until it's over just to make sure they changed the ending.

*= I am watching the TV show. It's okay but last weeks episode had the main characters be REALLY dumb for no reason.

I'm watching season 1 of the TV show. I've read the first TPB (years ago) but never finished it. I'm enjoying it so far but goddamn as a parent of a 2 and 1/2 year old boy it's giving me a hell of a lot of anxiety :-/

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Where in Queens did Peter Parker live? It’s all houses in his neighborhood so it feels like way out east or Far Rockaway.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Beerdeer posted:

Where in Queens did Peter Parker live? It’s all houses in his neighborhood so it feels like way out east or Far Rockaway.

Forest Hills. Which is funny because today, Forest Hills is one of the ritzier neighborhoods in Queens (average house value = somewhere around $800,000). But of course when Stan was originally writing, Forest Hills had just been developed and was still filled with middle- and working-class families moving out of Manhattan.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SalTheBard posted:

I'm watching season 1 of the TV show. I've read the first TPB (years ago) but never finished it. I'm enjoying it so far but goddamn as a parent of a 2 and 1/2 year old boy it's giving me a hell of a lot of anxiety :-/

When it comes to anxiety, my pregnant wife and I found watching The Handmaid's Tail super stressful.
I had to stop watching it, buy she kept with it. So I know that parental anxiety feel.