Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

I had a friend in highschool whose parents wouldn't let me hang out with him because I wasn't a "good christian" and because I didn't have nice clothes they thought I was a drug dealer. Their son sold drugs when we weren't hanging out and had to beg me for cash for an abortion once.

Ione of my friends in MS/HS was sent to catholic school because their parents hated the crowd he was friends with…aka teen punks, goths and all around weirdos. He never did hard drugs with us but I know later on something happened, and now he’s in recovery…and a fellow anarchist. I’m still in contact with him, and he’s doing well! He seems happy!

Ironically enough he attended the same Catholic school my mom went to, and she’s been an Episcopalian since before I was born. Hell everyone I know who went there isn’t Catholic now.

I hope he’s around when I see my mom in December, I’ve always kinda wondered what the story really was with his parents. I knew his mom was the more weird one and the dad was actually pretty cool but I guess he went along? I was friends with my friends younger brother as well and he never was sent to catholic school or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the only people i know irl who went to catholic school are massive lesbians

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mx. posted:

the only people i know irl who went to catholic school are massive lesbians

Can confirm, and my gender fell off, too.

My parents sent me to Catholic school because I was a "bad kid" who had never even gotten detention, snuck out or done drugs. Anyway I got kicked out of Catholic school inside two weeks because we aren't Catholic so I got in trouble for not knowing what to do at mass twice a loving day, I got in trouble for asking "insolent questions" in class because I had no idea what the hell was going on in religious studies, and then I finally got fed up and told the dean of students I didn't even believe in their god. So I ended up right back in public school.

I never did drugs until my mom accused me of doing them enough times that I went and found my dad's weed and smoked it. I also started doing other poo poo around the same time.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah a lot of “bad” kids I knew had parents that insisted their child was on some Sid & Nancy path and were very much not. But then eventually the kid gave in and figured might as loving well do drugs if my parents are convinced I’m on em!

Meanwhile I just did my poo poo in quiet and p much none was the wiser. And I turned out totally fine do not enquire further thank you!!!!!

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

My mom is still mad that I'm an "evil pagan" and my mom was a Scientologist for years while I was growing up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
20th century moral panics have all been pretty great for teaching parents to be terrified and paranoid of exactly the wrong things, while in pretty much every case the call was coming from inside the house. 21st century ones too.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

teen witch posted:

Royals: they’re just like us!

No actually, while I have my “misgivings” on taxpayer funded royalty, I do admittedly have a soft spot for Megan Markle, especially in regards to her loving abhorrent father.

https://www.theroot.com/thomas-markle-claims-he-doesnt-understand-why-meghan-ha-1847892020

The fact that he’s giving red meat to the already bonkers racist British press is unforgivable, regardless of relationship. It hits a nerve how it’s so obvious his end goal, and how he’d hurt his own daughter to do so. Royalty or not, this is poo poo behavior that no one deserves to be the recipient of, and gently caress I really just feel for her as it has that narcy stink.

The thing about the British press is that if you are a 'big story' they will go to everyone you've ever known and offer them money to betray you. The phone hacking thing show'd they were hacking the phones of friends of friends of someone famous, or hacking people on the off chance something story worthy came up.

Meghan gets thrown to the wolves by the Royal family to distract from what William is doing, or to deflect from the Queen and Prince Phillip living apart since his retirement from public life so that he could live with his long term mistress.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thundercloud posted:

or to deflect from the Queen and Prince Phillip living apart since his retirement from public life so that he could live with his long term mistress.

Wait, what?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thundercloud posted:

The thing about the British press is that if you are a 'big story' they will go to everyone you've ever known and offer them money to betray you. The phone hacking thing show'd they were hacking the phones of friends of friends of someone famous, or hacking people on the off chance something story worthy came up.

Meghan gets thrown to the wolves by the Royal family to distract from what William is doing, or to deflect from the Queen and Prince Phillip living apart since his retirement from public life so that he could live with his long term mistress.

Long before, Princess Diana pretty much had a hit put out on her by the royal family.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Remember that picture of him looking like a corpse being driven home from hospital? Remember how the driver is cropped out everywhere you saw it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Remember that picture of him looking like a corpse being driven home from hospital? Remember how the driver is cropped out everywhere you saw it?

Let me be the first American in this thread to post, "eyyyy lmao"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

He has looked like a corpse for years hospital or not

It’s downright unnatural how long they’ve lived. I’m pretty sure that the Queen will never die. In fact I hope so because gently caress Charles. I kind of hope she hangs on just to spite him

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

The good news is... There's not any good news because it's still a monarchy.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Mormon Nailer posted:

The good news is... There's not any good news because it's still a monarchy.

It used to be that people would say that the British ones were ok because at least they weren't complete trash, but it turns out that they were just better at hiding their hideous crimes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dongsturm posted:

It used to be that people would say that the British ones were ok because at least they weren't complete trash, but it turns out that they were just better at hiding their hideous crimes.

Turns out Voltaire was right all along.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Not that it’s particularly on topic but I don’t care about royalty and like, as long as there toothless and pay their own way without taxpayer money, sure. Be the viceroy of East Sucknfuckingham. Have your little rituals. Have a nice rear end fancy dress. Maybe don’t be a tremendous pedo supported by the ruling class.

Once my money is the game then I have problems.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I too was treated like some major criminal despite not doing anything bad (at least nothing they knew about) ever. Sure I knew people that did drugs, but I didn't. How do you expect to pay for them?? I can barely afford lunch! Yeah I like to wear a long coat, it's Illinois in the winter and I have to carry around tons of poo poo because my locker is too far away from every class I have to actually go there between them.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

20th century moral panics have all been pretty great for teaching parents to be terrified and paranoid of exactly the wrong things, while in pretty much every case the call was coming from inside the house. 21st century ones too.

I was thinking about that recently. Has there ever been a moral panic that was like, correct? Justifiable, even?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Light Gun Man posted:

I too was treated like some major criminal despite not doing anything bad (at least nothing they knew about) ever. Sure I knew people that did drugs, but I didn't. How do you expect to pay for them?? I can barely afford lunch! Yeah I like to wear a long coat, it's Illinois in the winter and I have to carry around tons of poo poo because my locker is too far away from every class I have to actually go there between them.

I was thinking about that recently. Has there ever been a moral panic that was like, correct? Justifiable, even?

When it's correct it's not called a moral panic. We don't call the worry about pedo clergy a moral panic, because holy poo poo there were a fuckton of pedo clergy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Human trafficking maybe?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Panfilo posted:

Human trafficking maybe?

Interesting, because trafficing is real and does happen, but nobody's looking to traffic Shela and her three pugs from 1337 Who Gives A poo poo Street.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There’s a great “You’re Wrong About” Trafficking and it’s informative as it is loving sad as hell.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

teen witch posted:

There’s a great “You’re Wrong About” Trafficking and it’s informative as it is loving sad as hell.

Seconding this, I listened to it about a month ago and it was extremely worth listening to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, at best moral panics can be 'correct' in that they identify that something is An Issue, but they then without fail proceed to get the details exactly wrong because they are not interested in actually tackling issues, they want to reinforce the anxieties and reactionary narratives of sheltered white people that the world is out to get them and everything unfamiliar, new and out of their immediate control must be brutally crushed.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I mean the latest one is that people in legal states are going to hand out weed candy to kids and it's like gently caress no Karen, I paid 20 bucks for this bag of gummies and I'm enjoying every last loving one. I have better things to do than get your 10 year old high.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
They tried to swedeify that panic for here and I’m like BITCH WHERE ARE THEY??

E: ok actually more of a HELVETE VAR FINNS DET?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Neito posted:

I mean the latest one is that people in legal states are going to hand out weed candy to kids and it's like gently caress no Karen, I paid 20 bucks for this bag of gummies and I'm enjoying every last loving one. I have better things to do than get your 10 year old high.

I mean you laugh but this just happened last week!!
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/sheriff-teacher-marijuana-edibles-student-prize-box-80611196

The teacher was high when they made the prize box and stuck them in accidentally and tried to get them back as soon as she noticed

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

listening to it now. seems like most of the things i suspected about this "movement" are true, or even more dumb than i thought. somehow, this is not shocking!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A good rule of thumb is whenever anyone in power starts crowing about doing things "for the children", hold onto your butts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imagined posted:

A good rule of thumb is whenever anyone in power starts crowing about doing things "for the children", hold onto your butts.

Problematically, often the people most motivated to want to do things for children want to do things to children

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

i've been meaning to ask this question here for awhile and honestly i've written/deleted it so many times that I don't remember if i've even posted it yet but here it goes:

did anyone elses parents randomly rearrange every single thing in their room several times a year when they were growing up? like bed moved, all the clothes in the dresser/closet shuffled around, shelves emptied and refilled in a different order? is this a thing normal people do? it always felt like a massive violation of my personal space but I could never adequately explain why it felt so awful to walk into what was ostensibly my space and find it had completely changed

it feels like a violation because they were ransacking your room looking for secret things

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vortmax posted:

I've never understood this idea. I was in high school in the 90s and during Satanic Panic, but it was always obvious to us as students that the preppy rich kids were the ones doing drugs and loving.

This stupid bullshit literally led to the conviction of the West Memphis Three because they were goth and weird.

school is just a mirror of society. in normal society rich assholes can party and do drugs without consequences, so thats how the school works

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Snoop chat: my brother was dating a girl that the rest of the family absolutely hated (to be fair, we were correct about her) and my mother "found" an explicit note that the gf had written my brother. Mom then told me repeatedly about how disgusting it was, and how she had to immediately run to the bathroom and throw up. It was like she was victimized by this note (and now that I think about it, she probably very much felt that she was).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've been NC with my mom for over 2 years now. Yesterday was my brother's birthday so we were texting back and forth about it. He told me about an awkward phone call he got from her where she was telling him how much she missed him and wants a hug, but she fell again and face planted and has two black eyes now and doesn't want to leave her home. It just makes me sad. I can't imagine her living this decade out and she's just going to be sad and alone and probably constantly getting herself hurt.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Imagined posted:

The same rule is that whenever and wherever there is an organization that has the phrase Family" or "Family Values" in the title, then they are generally oppressive pearl clutching fascists.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Neito posted:

The idea(going back at least to DARE) that people are gonna hand out drugs for free and pressure you into taking them even if you don't want to has always been hilarious. No, nobody's giving random strangers free drugs, and they're double not trying to trick you or your children into taking free drugs by handing them out as halloween candy. I never understood how people got out of touch enough to fall for that poo poo and I'm a huge square.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BrigadierSensible posted:

The same rule is that whenever and wherever there is an organization that has the phrase Family" or "Family Values" in the title, then they are generally oppressive pearl clutching fascists.

Any time someone says "We're like a family here", what they really mean is "Do what Mommy and Daddy say, or else he gets his belt".

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

skooma512 posted:

Also getting busted in middle school when they found a notebook with random edgy crap I wrote in the margins that I forgot I even wrote an hour later and used that to establish a "pattern". The only time I ever got to see the counselor was when I was in trouble, and like, I was pretty stupid then, but there was no way I'm telling an employee of the school anything about what's in my head because we've been down that road to get here, and I'd rather not get expelled, no matter what they said about confidentiality.

I wrote some edgy emo teenage poetry on fictionpress when I was like, 12, 13? and my dad stalked me online and found it and tried to use it in court to prove that I was depressed and should therefore live with him. I don't think I ever wrote any sort of proper poetry again, nevermind published it online. I also wore a skirt to his wedding (the first time wearing one since I was old enough to object, because I never felt comfortable in dresses and skirts) and he tried to use that in court too as a proof that he was a better parent, and I should go live with him and his new wife and they could make me do girly stuff and learn makeup and ???

Took me until I was 30 to wear a skirt again. A wasp immediately flew up it and stung me on the arse.

My mum had stories of coming back from school and finding out that her mum had tidied up her room and thrown out all her toys. 50 years later she was still bitter about it and I suspect it's why she was such a hoarder.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When I was in junior high I used to write short stories about dinosaurs or serial killers invading the school and killing everyone except me and a couple friends, and by friends I mean people who let me follow them around because I was a depressed and anxious abused and traumatized kid with gender dysphoria and invisible disabilities and probably autism. Probably why I also wrote those stories, I didn't actually ever wish harm on anyone, I was a big people pleaser and avoided harming anyone out of fear, and I could barely handle pg-13 movies because it would upset me too much. But somehow I could write about it.

Because this was pre-Columbine, no one cared, and many kids even wanted to read how I would imagine they'd die. It was the only time the popular kids were nice to me. But I didn't hate them. Some stories I'd surprise people by having the most popular kids survive, and they were thrilled about it.

I'm sure a lot of them look back and think "holy poo poo, that kid was hosed up." And honestly I do to. It's kind of shocking that I never got in trouble, or no concerns were raised at parent teacher night. Teachers definitely knew I was doing it. I guess I was just too sweet to worry about, and they were right. I've gotten even more pacifist as an adult, I can't even squish bugs. Except mosquitos and ticks, and even that makes me feel bad. Which says a lot considering my years of suffering from insect-borne diseases and parasites.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had a livejournal around 2002ish when I was a dorky 15 year old that played a lot of Counterstrike, and all of my posts were about how depressed I was, how cool I thought various guns in counterstrike were and how much I wanted to own them IRL (which was not for any purpose related to using them, I have in fact never owned a firearm and don't want to now that I'm not 15), or exacerbated teenage angst rambling. I stopped writing it because my brother and his friends would apparently go into my room for the express purpose of snooping around and seeing what they could find, much like my mom, except they would also get on my computer and dig through my internet history, so they found my angsty livejournal and followed it for a while before finally revealing in the comments months later that they had been following it and laughing at me all along.

Since the internet was the only place I had where I could express anything at all I spent the next several years completely paranoid and started changing my internet identity every few months to made up people, including writing believable backstories with fake names in various locales and it completely destroyed any sense of self identity I had and prevented me from having any consistent long-term friends for over a decade :thumbsup: Combined with other invasive traumatic things, I'm still working on that 20+ years later :smith:

But to his credit that's the only lovely thing I remember my brother doing, and I'm shocked nothing more came of it given the era and the contents

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing is about everything with spree shootings and school violence is that literally every single time, the media either ignores or treats as an funny little quirk that the shooters are into white supremacist material and beliefs.

Because Western culture cannot recognise its own home-grown brand of terrorist radicalisation, because they'd have to start realising it's literally everywhere, especially among those who carry guns. It's always white supremacy, and always has been. Its central tenet is the right to openly slaughter anyone they see as detrimental to their worldview where they're the only ones that matter.