Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Played some Inscryption for 4 hours yesterday and it's real good, incredibly good, until it, uh, suddenly decides not to be (let's say, once the three other card types get introduced, although of course thats not the cause of the problem). And it was so good until then, too. I get what the dev was trying to do but it feels like the game drops its strong points in favor of shenanigans. Hopefully it'll get better again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Futaba Anzu posted:

Outside of the aesthetics it felt obvious this was boring since they seem to have missed the big draw of boomer shooters having wildly varying gun feel designs and just decided to go with the absolute most boring idea of all hands making random gestures instead

I could forgive a limited weapon selection if the weapons were cool and felt good to use and felt like they presented tradeoffs but the magic wiggly hands that make pew pew noises and have infinite ammo ain't it, yeah.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

priznat posted:

I tried Outriders on game pass, it is new on there. Did it get pretty panned critically? It seems not great.

Also the Avengers game, yeesh. At least can try these clunkers as part of the game pass sub.

The demo was good but as soon as you hit the Jungle, the game takes a severe nosedive.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Chev posted:

Played some Inscryption for 4 hours yesterday and it's real good, incredibly good, until it, uh, suddenly decides not to be (let's say, once the three other card types get introduced, although of course thats not the cause of the problem). And it was so good until then, too. I get what the dev was trying to do but it feels like the game drops its strong points in favor of shenanigans. Hopefully it'll get better again.

yeah i noticed watching various streams this is also where the streamers either stop playing or look visibly annoyed as they try to grip with the changes - really wondering what to make of the rest of it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What happens? Does it drop the room escape/card game formula, or does it just muddy the waters further on how to play the card game?

It's on my wishlist because the demo toed the line between creepy and intriguing, but if it pivots far enough away from the base gameplay after the 2 hour refund window then that's lovely

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

thecluckmeme posted:

What happens? Does it drop the room escape/card game formula, or does it just muddy the waters further on how to play the card game?

It's on my wishlist because the demo toed the line between creepy and intriguing, but if it pivots far enough away from the base gameplay after the 2 hour refund window then that's lovely

It's hard to talk about the game without spoiling stuff, but it remains a card game throughout and the room aspect comes and goes.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Without getting into tremendous detail.

You're playing with maybe 1.5 out of 4 resources in the demo, and the game drops all of the others on you all at once when certain things happen. Then it removes some again, and I'm currently hammering my head against a slide puzzle that uses mechanics that I just can't wrap my head around yet because the slide puzzles don't give you feedback but it's the first time I've been able to walk around since Act 2 began in earnest.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Avengers isn't a terrible co-op beatem up thing and the story is alright, it's just..man the live service destiny stuff was a huge misstep, enough to the point where half the marketing for Guardians is "NO ONLINE DON'T WORRY"

I added up what the cost of buying all of the cosmetics for a single character in Marvel's Avengers would be. It was somewhere around $400. To get a bunch of costumes and visuals for one character. There are nine characters. This is (was) a $60 game. Edit: It's showing $40 retail now, but I'm not sure if there was a price drop since release.

It's not a terrible game if you want a dumb "mash buttons, destroy bad guys" experience. And it's on Game Pass for PC (and Xbox?), so effectively "free" for a lot of people.

Anyway. Thanks to the thread for reminding me Inscryption is out (and apparently great). The trailer was intriguing back at E3, and then it completely fell off my radar.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 20, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chev posted:

I'm annoyed because I did much better on the demo, beat the Prospector on the first try and had a good deck, but in the real game I didn't do as well and for some reason it's really bothering me. Probably doesn't matter because you're going to die until it finished introducing all the aspects of the game anyways. But I want to start over and I can't figure out how, the new game tile is blacked out and won't let you pick it up.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1505910/Recontact_London_Cyber_Puzzle/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256817648/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1610466165

Recontact London is a motion video based puzzle game. Kind of like Her Story but with a little more UI and probably not as good although I haven't played it

quote:

Become a Cyber Detective
Find the cyber threats plaguing London and advance the story by examining files, clues from journals or CCTVs.

Ghosts are among us!
Use the cameras to find the ghosts that haunt the streets and save the people of London living in fear.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642110/BATS_Bloodsucker_AntiTerror_Squad/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256837622/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623498722

BATS is a cute-looking (although very bloody) retro action game featuring what seems to be the heroes of a fake TV show from the 80s or something. I think it looks pretty cool and will probably pick it up

quote:

A fast and frantic arcade extravaganza with tons of action and gallons of blood! It's up to Count Bloodvayne and his vampire powers to rescue his BATS teammates from Scorpion Supreme and STING's evil clutches.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

thecluckmeme posted:

I'm at about 9 hours in and it just keeps getting better and better. Things change, and I understand why some people got into the groove of the demo gameplay, but the way stuff just unfolds is outstanding IMHO. You're still doing the cardgame as your main way to interact with the game, and you still have to pay attention to environmental clues to find secrets. I might be in a third act now but I'm not really sure. Even if I am, I can see myself repeating this a number of times to diverge on some very obvious forks in the road. There a several overlaid mysteries that have me curious and I'm unable to put it down.

Unless there's a huge letdown coming up this will be my game of the year.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I'm at about 9 hours in and it just keeps getting better and better. Things change, and I understand why some people got into the groove of the demo gameplay, but the way stuff just unfolds is outstanding IMHO. You're still doing the cardgame as your main way to interact with the game, and you still have to pay attention to environmental clues to find secrets. I might be in a third act now but I'm not really sure. Even if I am, I can see myself repeating this a number of times to diverge on some very obvious forks in the road. There a several overlaid mysteries that have me curious and I'm unable to put it down.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, I liked the dev's previous works for how they can string together lots of elements so as long as it doesn't take a hard turn and never look back at the demo's kind of content, I'll be happy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm finding the way you navigate around the room confusing. Sometimes A moves you left, sometimes it rotates your viewpoint left. I have amazing difficulty getting back into the chair after I've walked around the room; I keep approaching it from the side.

Can anybody explain in words of one syllable what "WASD" are doing, and how it changes with context?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Growing Up is out, a life simulator / Princess Maker 2-like where you are a child growing up in the '90's and making decisions about what to do, what to learn, and who to be friends with.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1191120/Growing_Up/

It's a neat little game, largely driven by a "brain map" game mechanic where you navigate to build up your stats, and schedules you make around activities you want to do, occasionally interspersed with choose-your-own-adventure sections of navigating friendships.

Did I mention that it's set in the '90s?

It is very set in the 90s

Anyways, it's from the team that did Chinese Parents, and I think they've refined and improved the mechanics they used for that one a bunch, making it simpler, more straight-forward, and more fun. The narratives are fine, if a little straight-forward and predictable, but they're handled generally well IMHO. Also, the sound track is by Jim Guthrie, who did the tracks for Planet Coaster and Griftlands, and while I can't prove it, I think he did some for Surviving Mars, and the soundtrack for this game is very good (though not nearly as 90s as the art and fashion).

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 20, 2021

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm finding the way you navigate around the room confusing. Sometimes A moves you left, sometimes it rotates your viewpoint left. I have amazing difficulty getting back into the chair after I've walked around the room; I keep approaching it from the side.

Can anybody explain in words of one syllable what "WASD" are doing, and how it changes with context?

I'm pretty sure A and D rotate, W is forward and S is backwards. I don't think you ever sidestep with A/D.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

for some reason many games on my wishlist released today

Gloomhaven hit 1.0 today (board game adapation, apparently a good one)

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256852431/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1632328187

Klang 2 (has a demo) came out as well, which I put there mainly because psytrance bassline, hope the actual game is good too

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256789303/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1592236611

They Always Run came out. Forgot why I wishlisted it honestly

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256855464/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1634048779

aaaand Drox Operative 2 came out too

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I joined the developers discord after I finished it and man there's a *lot* to miss.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Just finished Inscryption.. I think?

I mean, this is my first time dipping my toes into these rabbit holes, so I'm not certain if the game goes on, but.

I just got the actual credits to roll and there's definitely mysteries left unaddressed here that the information didn't exist for as far as I can tell, I just don't have the slightest idea where to go digging at this point

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Alectai posted:

Just finished Inscryption.. I think?

I mean, this is my first time dipping my toes into these rabbit holes, so I'm not certain if the game goes on, but.

I just got the actual credits to roll and there's definitely mysteries left unaddressed here that the information didn't exist for as far as I can tell, I just don't have the slightest idea where to go digging at this point

I think people are still figuring stuff out but I know that there's a console you can access if you hit control+c during the system reboot at the beginning of part 2. It lets you access the old_data folder that's referenced a few times through the game.

edit:

Absolutely do not click this link if you haven't finished Inscryption -

Link to the document where people are compiling findings

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Can we keep endgame chat about a game that really doesn't want to be spoiled out of the thread meant to introduce new games? Brief reviews and opinions please, jeez.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/910490/Killsquad/

Coming out of EA tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9GEW5yBskc

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chadzok posted:

Can we keep endgame chat about a game that really doesn't want to be spoiled out of the thread meant to introduce new games? Brief reviews and opinions please, jeez.

It looks like everything is appropriately spoilered so just... don't mouse over them.

That being said someone should definitely create an Inscryption thread since it seems like a lot of people are playing it.

New game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1300100/Spectacular_Sparky/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256856660/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1634756642

Spectacular Sparky is another very retro looking action side scroller (that I think looks amazing) coming out on steam. This may have been a switch game before this maybe?

quote:

A throwback to the golden age of white-gloved 16-bit video-game mascots, Spectacular Sparky is an action-packed platformer with wacky characters, explosive weapons and boss battles to treasure!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Play posted:

But I want to start over and I can't figure out how, the new game tile is blacked out and won't let you pick it up.
There wasn't a new game card when you first started, this is normal. Continuing's your only option for now. If you really want to start over deleting your saved games is gonna be the only way.

thecluckmeme posted:

Basically it's that a lot of things happen at once at one point that make it seem like the dev didn't actually understand why people liked what they saw of the game, that basically the scope had revealed itself to be much smaller than it first seemed, making it seem like a bit of a bait and switch. Now I'm further along I'm reassured about that and everything's awesome again but IIRC it's Yoko Taro who said your twists should only ever seem like they expand the previously assumed scope of your game and that's darn right.

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 20, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I made a thread to talk about Inscryption for those interested.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

There's apparently a game called This Land is My Land where you play as a Native leader resisting the expansion of European settlers.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069640/This_Land_Is_My_Land/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There's apparently a game called This Land is My Land where you play as a Native leader resisting the expansion of European settlers.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069640/This_Land_Is_My_Land/

FWIW this is the game where Native players tried to contact the devs because the story seemed to be very stereotypical (and the discord was awarding people roles of "chief" of the "tribe") and they got completely rebuffed

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7eq5y/this-land-is-my-land-wants-to-sell-an-indigenous-revenge-fantasy-but-without-any-indigenous-input

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

thanks for the link. i was wondering if it was bad and it sounds like it is very bad

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ElecHead

quote:

⚡+🤖+🧩
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256853647/movie480_vp9.webm

98% positive based off 120 reviews. I'm going to wait and see if this gets a slight discount in one of the upcoming sales.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FWIW this is the game where Native players tried to contact the devs because the story seemed to be very stereotypical (and the discord was awarding people roles of "chief" of the "tribe") and they got completely rebuffed

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7eq5y/this-land-is-my-land-wants-to-sell-an-indigenous-revenge-fantasy-but-without-any-indigenous-input

It also sounds like its not complete lol. People on the steam forums complaining that promised features are still not in, and the devs saying "we're still working on it" even though it left early access

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I wanted to signal boost some smaller games a little bit as I had some time to try them out and really enjoyed them.

Play posted:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256856660/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1634756642

Spectacular Sparky is another very retro looking action side scroller (that I think looks amazing) coming out on steam. This may have been a switch game before this maybe?

Play posted:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256837622/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623498722

BATS is a cute-looking (although very bloody) retro action game featuring what seems to be the heroes of a fake TV show from the 80s or something. I think it looks pretty cool and will probably pick it up

Spectacular Sparky is a funny, simple run and gun platformer with occasional side scrolling shooter segments and a nice 16 bit retro look. You can aim and also lock your aim at a certain direction and angle with is great. It's probably a little easy, at least so far, but there's still a lot to keep track of. The main character is actually pretty amusing, and it has good voice acting. Almost a combination between super mario with a gun and conkers bad fur day. Dumb fun basically and I really like it.

They Always Run is very different which is cool. All hand-painted, no pixel art and no 3D style digital stuff. It's a mostly-linear game, although there are some places that you will take your ship back to occasionally. Combat is TOUGH. You gotta be smart about how you do it. There is a basic attack which is pretty drat weak, a counter which kills most enemies instantly, a dodge, and a third arm that you can attack with manually in whatever direction you want. No stamina meter, thank loving christ. One thing I don't love is that the character's movement does seem a little choppy. I would prefer some more character frames in his movements. Apart from that seems to have an interesting-enough story and cool levels with a lot of challenges in them as you hunt down your bounty targets.

BATS is a very strange game but at only 9 bucks is a decent deal. A pixel art game about navigating complex levels with some light puzzling and difficult combat. Fun art style and very very challenging.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Alisa

quote:

Alisa is a Horror-themed Action Adventure game and a genuine throwback to the golden age of 90s 3D games.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256857029/movie480_vp9.webm

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I meant to make that last post in the steam thread. whoops lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What's that? Not enough extremely weird indie stuff on your to-play list? Don't worry, itch.io is here for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dRylsAu7E

https://oleandergarden.itch.io/hexcraft2

quote:

Harlequin Fair is an experimental RPG and immersive sim set in the mooncast shadows of Toronto by night. Follow the footsteps of those who've gone before, digging through every nook and cranny of this ever-changing dynamic world as you try to escape from your baleful masquerade. Watch zones shift and develop as a motley cast of characters procedurally pursue their own thoughts, feelings, and goals. Featuring an extraordinary level of reactivity, Harlequin Fair blurs the line between simulation and role playing game. Cast dreadful spells, buy small arms with cash: cling to the light 'til the light bites you back.

Key features include:

A litany of simulated characters with their own thoughts, feelings, and goals, moving dynamically through the overworld
A complex and multifaceted agent-based city simulation, responding to your actions in intuitive but unpredictable ways; no two playthroughs are ever the same
Non-linear structure and interlocking systems enabling a diverse palette of playstyles and varied, creative solutions to conflicts
Six major simulated zones to explore, change, and watch develop, alongside a selection of smaller locales
A wide array of esoteric items to find, accumulate, and employ
Homemade potions to help fight off the fiercest foes
A spellbook full of strange bewitchments to exploit

Masquerade players despise revealing light, yet likewise loathe to linger always lonely: so come and dance in foredawn dark, and dream the world to come.

e: oh! It's on steam too! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1555650/HEXCRAFT_Harlequin_Fair/

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1281590/The_Dark_Pictures_Anthology_House_of_Ashes/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256839064/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623786302

Out of the whole Dark Pictures Anthology this one seems the most intriguing to me, mainly just due to the setting and premise. Looks scary and cool.

quote:

At the close of the Iraq War, Special Forces hunting for weapons of mass destruction unearth something far deadlier – a buried Sumerian temple containing a nest of unearthly creatures. To survive the night below, they must forge a brotherhood with their enemies from the world above.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What kind of game is this, like, what do you do and is it really a big co-op forward kind of thing to experience if you can?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Khanstant posted:

What kind of game is this, like, what do you do and is it really a big co-op forward kind of thing to experience if you can?

It's not a shooter if that's what you mean, I think there is free control of characters in certain exploration sections, then dialogue choices and QTE action scenes mostly. I don't know about the co-op if there is any

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's basically a Telltale game, but horror themed and usually a twist, meanwhile there's breaks between acts so a smug narrator can talk down to you

They're alright, although I'll probably just watch John Wolfe play it as background noise over the weekend while cleaning my living room. I think he's the only horror channel that doesn't lean into the "OH MY GOSH GUYS THIS IS SO SCARY" shtick

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Naw didn't get a shooter vibe, just didn't know at all what you do in the game, I think the telltale explains it

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Haven’t seen anyone mention:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1287840/Disciples_Liberation/

It’s very good if you like the series at all. It’s a solid hex based tactical squad fantasy based game even if you have never played the originals.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DUSK '82, a sokoban game based on DUSK, is out now. Duskdude Is You

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Chasing Static came out, and it's pretty cool.
Probably more of a walking simulator, but they super nailed the PSX asthetic and the VA is decent.
I heard its pretty short, but I'm still pretty near the beginning so we shall see.