Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

pentyne posted:

Level 19 witch/1 crossblood sorc Ember with a +10 CHA bonus and the +1 amulet Cackle has a DC of 32 and Evil eye has a DC of 29. Without the amulet Cackle is 31 and Evil Eye is 29.

The only ones affected by the amulet from checking are fortune, protective luck, life giver, and cackle, which would all have DC 32 with and 31 without.

Agony, Evil Eye, Slumber, Expose Vulnerabilities aren't affected and are 2 DC lower anyways. Is that a bug or a feature?

All those hexes that got their DC boosted aren't offensive hexes anyway, so seems like it's indeed bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

I just want to know empirically how many times you have to pick good, never picking lawful decisions before you drift into neutral good. 'cos from what i've seen of the alignment system it seems like it should be A Lot and i have a hard time believing that not a single one of the lawful options that showed up along the was palatable to someone aiming to stay good.

I'll drop alignment chat after this, but just out of completeness to answer your question:

I played a Paladin in my first playthrough and I "fell" to Neutral Good at the beginning of act 3, always or almost always picking the Good answer. This was before most patches, mind, so it might have been fixed by then.

It's a very edge case that affects a tiny fraction of content, and it can easily be fixed both in game with scrolls and with toybox, or even "gaming" the answers to align it. It didn't stop me from playing over 140 hours, because the game itself is great.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

pentyne posted:

Aside from the amulet you get from Horgrum, did anyone every find any items that would increase a Hex DC? There was a lot of +DC spell stuff in general, the illusion specific stuff as well, but Hex DC starts to really lag around the mid game before you get those high stat bonuses.

A few items lower enemy will saves. A belt in the fleshmarkets give -2 will in an aura for example.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Shaken and Sickened are also -2 os Save each and their are a few spells and abilities that give the condition on a successful save.

Speaking of saves
I just did the Areshkagel fight and she definately epitomises the issues with the game re:puzzle boss fights. All three saves above 40 even on the lowest enemy setting, AC and Flatfoot more manageble in either the high 30s or low 40s, and a Touch AC of -7.
While dealing damage wasn't exactly a problem, being unable to control in the last phase made it slightly hairy, especially after two of the copies killed both my MC and Seelah's horses from under them on the same turn and had killed Aivu and Wendaug's velociraptor a turn earlier.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Trebuchet King posted:

i have a hard time believing that not a single one of the lawful options that showed up along the was palatable to someone aiming to stay good.

Some of the lawful options are so laughably milquetoast that basically anyone could take them. Telling a demon “You will be punished for your crimes” for example.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
My issues with Camellia vanished now, since I bought the ring that gives her even more defense since she has Iceplant and the addition of a feat that lets her do more than 1 damage with her rapier (which I managed to find a magic one too). Now she is a solid backup to Seelah.

I'm currently running as my main character Kineticist, Seelah, Camellia, Lann, Woljif, and Nenio. I have the aasimar noble and Ember in reserve. I just started Gray Garrison.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Emberfox posted:

My issues with Camellia vanished now, since I bought the ring that gives her even more defense since she has Iceplant and the addition of a feat that lets her do more than 1 damage with her rapier (which I managed to find a magic one too). Now she is a solid backup to Seelah.

Camellia is arguably one of the strongest companions (assuming you stick to their vanilla classes and don't do any multi class shennigans). Full caster with very powerful buffs and she can stack AC way high and easily be your best (non-mc) tank later in the game.

And it's not too hard to build her to do respectable damage on top of all that, especially if you abuse elemental barrage.

She's mean to Ember in camp dialog though, so that makes her the worst companion by default unfortunately.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i dont think there's any companion she isn't mean to, in fairness. there's a reason i thought the hidden alignment was a funny gag of 'why bother'

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Arivia posted:

Ultimate Campaign 136-137. They're optional and I've never really run into anyone using them, but they do exist. Also relevant for WotR are the redemption rules from Champions of Purity 18-19.

My group kind of does, in that if you do something that's really rotten as a G type person, the DM will pointedly ask if "you're really sure you're doing that ? because that's an evil thing to do ?". At which point you say "ah, oops, err, ok, let's not do that" (or drop to neutral).

Shifting L to C (and vice versa) however, we hardly bother unless somebody at the table plays a "this class is Lawful" or "this class has to be Chaotic" class (like monk or barbie). I can't remember it ever coming up in our 20 odd years of gaming together though.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Sloober posted:

i dont think there's any companion she isn't mean to, in fairness. there's a reason i thought the hidden alignment was a funny gag of 'why bother'

She acts all demure around Sosiel, weirdly enough. It's to take advantage of him and make him do her chores, but it's still a subtler approach than with most of the other companions. She's also friendly enough with Seelah.

She also sucks up to Arue but only because she wants to hear all the grisly details of Arue's past. :v: Kinda interesting though that although Arue used to be a professional liar, as she keeps saying, she doesn't smell any of Cam's bullshit and takes it at face value.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 21, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

She acts all demure around Sosiel, weirdly enough. It's to take advantage of him and make him do her chores, but it's still a subtler approach than with most of the other companions. She's also friendly enough with Seelah.

She also sucks up to Arue but only because she wants to hear all the grisly details of Arue's past. :v:

Her constant attempts to act all noble and ladylike are hilarious when Daeran is around because he is 100% not buying her act in the slightest.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

blizzardvizard posted:

She also sucks up to Arue but only because she wants to hear all the grisly details of Arue's past. :v: Kinda interesting though that although Arue used to be a professional liar, as she keeps saying, she doesn't smell any of Cam's bullshit and takes it at face value.

I think Arue catches on somewhat on the last banter between them, something about Camillia having an odd look in her eyes. Sosiel never catches on though, the chump.

Further proof of Sosiel being a chump is when he tries to play confessor with Greybor, who tells him that if he ever feels the need for a confessional, he's going to find a grizzled old cleric to share a bottle with, not confide in an eager puppy who lacks life experience and can't relate to him.

pentyne posted:

Her constant attempts to act all noble and ladylike are hilarious when Daeran is around because he is 100% not buying her act in the slightest.

Several of the companions can spot that Camillia is bad news. Regill is suspicious of Cammy right of the bat, and Greybor seems to sense that something is wrong with her as well when Camellia tries to suck up to him. Wenduag also insinuates that she knows what's what and that Camillia is nowhere near a clever as she thinks she is.

Warden fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 21, 2021

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
can't believe they figured out the true alignment predilection of the lady that yells about bathing in blood and various other extremely detailed bloodthirsty phrases

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Wenduag just automatically assumes the worst of everybody, to be fair. She thinks Sosiel listening to people's confessions is him collecting secrets to be used against them, and she thinks Ember is just doing an elaborate act to hide a dark nature. Just that in Cam's case, she's completely right on the money. :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sloober posted:

can't believe they figured out the true alignment predilection of the lady that yells about bathing in blood and various other extremely detailed bloodthirsty phrases

Can't believe enough of the player base in the beta was so shocked by the reveal that Owlcat had to make it way more obvious to appease them

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
She seems suspicious as hell, but hasn't actively done anything to make me kick her out.

Yet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

pentyne posted:

Can't believe enough of the player base in the beta was so shocked by the reveal that Owlcat had to make it way more obvious to appease them

Did she say different stuff in combat in beta?
As said she makes it SUPER obvious, although I'll admit that I'd forgotten all about what she said by the time the reveal happened.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

for whatever reason, I didn't get much campfire dialogue from her, so I was just wondering when they were going to develop her character more.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

pentyne posted:

I never played the beta so I can't really attest to the fact that this was the case, but if this was a fix it was definitely a very stupid and I'm sure there was a more subtle way to go about it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Taear posted:

As said she makes it SUPER obvious, although I'll admit that I'd forgotten all about what she said by the time the reveal happened.

I think it was so many people gravitated to her as their romance partner that anything thrown up to derail that infuriated them.

Sloober posted:

I never played the beta so I can't really attest to the fact that this was the case, but if this was a fix it was definitely a very stupid and I'm sure there was a more subtle way to go about it

I recall talk of her alignment originally being "lawful good" or so and there was no mention of it being hidden or the necklace doing anything besides being un-removable?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

She wasn't changed much from the alpha I played until full release. She had the necklace and hidden alignment then too, I think it may have made her look like True Neutral on her stats. Also people datamined her deal pretty soon after the alpha started. Up until that point everyone still assumed she was evil but they thought she might be a snakeperson since her necklace looks like a snake gods symbol (I maintain this would have been cooler but I do respect the bait and switch of the making the pretty half-elf a total psycho nutter.). 4chan had a meltdown over their snake waifu dreams shattering.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 21, 2021

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

I think it was so many people gravitated to her as their romance partner that anything thrown up to derail that infuriated them.

I recall talk of her alignment originally being "lawful good" or so and there was no mention of it being hidden or the necklace doing anything besides being un-removable?

Unremovable amulet, True neutral alignment instead of undetectable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Taear posted:

She did not have combat barks for the first part of the beta is the biggest bit.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

This reminds me, does anyone know how “bark” came to be the word used for the soundbites in this kind of game?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Trebuchet King posted:

This reminds me, does anyone know how “bark” came to be the word used for the soundbites in this kind of game?

Mid-combat soundbites used to just be stuff like "Ugh!" and "Agh!" and other generic battlecries in older games in this and related genres, since having a lot of fully-voiced lines was unfeasible due to technical limitations of the time, and calling them "barks" likely relates to how the voice actors obviously were not in pain or fighting pitched battles so they're just standing in the booth essentially "barking" into the microphone.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Trebuchet King posted:

DMX actually got his start in game combat dialogue and developed his signature bark doing it. He's better known for other things, though.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The original Baldurs Gate games had short voice clips and you could very easily set up custom voices along with the portraits, something I wish they'd kept for the modern games. A friend and I played through coop a few times and would get various sound packs from the internet like the X Files cast. One of our chars had a clip from Xena saying "Such a pretty day for a bloodbath" with a creepy laugh so Camellia is in good company. I can also clearly remember "Blood makes the grass grow!", from one of the official voices on one of the Neverwinter games I think.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

bagrada posted:

The original Baldurs Gate games had short voice clips and you could very easily set up custom voices along with the portraits, something I wish they'd kept for the modern games. A friend and I played through coop a few times and would get various sound packs from the internet like the X Files cast. One of our chars had a clip from Xena saying "Such a pretty day for a bloodbath" with a creepy laugh so Camellia is in good company. I can also clearly remember "Blood makes the grass grow!", from one of the official voices on one of the Neverwinter games I think.

Oh yeah, JA2 has a lot of great candidates for voice packs like that, see Ivan Dolvich

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
is greybor remotely interesting as a companion, because i have my melee slots covered quite nicely and his whole stealthy rear end in a top hat assassin thing has me bored to tears

act 3, pre companion quest

e: also how bad of an idea is it for me to respec seelah to have a horse friend. i want someone on a horse and i don't see anyone else who would be good at the job

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

is greybor remotely interesting as a companion, because i have my melee slots covered quite nicely and his whole stealthy rear end in a top hat assassin thing has me bored to tears

e: also how bad of an idea is it for me to respec seelah to have a horse friend. i want someone on a horse and i don't see anyone else who would be good at the job

Yeah, he's got a few good bits, especially if you're respectful of his time and work. I felt like the neutral stance of not judging him or condemning him made for a better outcome then pushing him to be "better" if you can call it that.

He will absolutely gently caress up anyone so much as looking at Ember the wrong way too, so he's pretty high on the list of good people regardless.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

My group kind of does, in that if you do something that's really rotten as a G type person, the DM will pointedly ask if "you're really sure you're doing that ? because that's an evil thing to do ?". At which point you say "ah, oops, err, ok, let's not do that" (or drop to neutral).

Shifting L to C (and vice versa) however, we hardly bother unless somebody at the table plays a "this class is Lawful" or "this class has to be Chaotic" class (like monk or barbie). I can't remember it ever coming up in our 20 odd years of gaming together though.

I meant specifically the pathfinder system as laid out in Ultimate Campaign. Your DM just sounds like they're using a good rule of thumb, which is fine, but not the actual pathfinder setup.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Owlcat's writing is OK, not pulitizier or anything, but hey, videogames. If I had to say, Kingmaker was better at story while Wrath was much better at companions, Camellia aside. I do wonder if it has to do with adapting the source material.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hexes Update:

So, the Blackened Rag and the Blackened Amulet don't conflict and will give a total +2 increase to the hexes it does work on. They both work on Shamans too.

Still doesn't explain why the party buff hexes, fortune, protective luck etc. are by default 1 higher then the enemy debuff hexes, evil eye, slumber.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

JamMasterJim posted:

Unremovable amulet, True neutral alignment instead of undetectable.

Cowards. They should have kept it like that.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

That's pretty much Greybor. You can have some affect on him but he's always going to be detached and about his reputation. Mechanically he's pretty good.

Seelah on a horse is a good idea. You just have to remember to buff the horse. And to make her mount it. She starts dismounted every time you enter a map. Normally she moves around slowly compared to the rest of the party because of the full plate and the horse covers that. And the weapon bond is more micromanagement overall in my experience. You have to press the button to activate it and then you have to pick the other things depending on the situation. Its pretty strong but its a hassle that doesn't seem important on core. Having to drop a high ac horse before she ever takes damage while she moves around the battlefield without losing half a turn is a good that is mostly always on. Just choose the horse profile that's defensive.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Goofballs posted:

That's pretty much Greybor. You can have some affect on him but he's always going to be detached and about his reputation. Mechanically he's pretty good.

Seelah on a horse is a good idea. You just have to remember to buff the horse. And to make her mount it. She starts dismounted every time you enter a map. Normally she moves around slowly compared to the rest of the party because of the full plate and the horse covers that. And the weapon bond is more micromanagement overall in my experience. You have to press the button to activate it and then you have to pick the other things depending on the situation. Its pretty strong but its a hassle that doesn't seem important on core. Having to drop a high ac horse before she ever takes damage while she moves around the battlefield without losing half a turn is a good that is mostly always on. Just choose the horse profile that's defensive.

There's a lot of abilities in these games that my eyes kind of glaze over as I read and just switch to a different option and weapon bond is one of them. For classes, it's warpriest as none of the ability descriptions make sense to me and I'd have to play the class for several hours to probably figure it out.

And the animal's teamwork feats still count? and get an attack properly now? Animal companions as a whole are the source of a lot of confusions as to what is and isn't working.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sloober posted:

blood for the blood god

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so anyone else get the bug in Demon's Heresy where you go to the map and literally nothing happens?

I'm quite content toyboxing this but starting the quest stages doesn't seem to make any difference. nothing appears in the map, no enemies, no conversations with Arueshalae, no bell or perception checks.

I recruited her in chapter 2

e: figured it out, needed to add the "Go to greengates" objective and not the "enter greengates" objective.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 22, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So I finally started using Seelah mounted on her horse and

a) it's amazingly effective, so much more so then I thought
b) a full attack is like 6-7 attacks between her and the horse at level 5 (hasted)
c) she flies across the battlefield
d) charging the back line will never not be hilarious (when it works)

But in general I'm noticing a lot, like really a lot of pathing issues, occasionally she'll just freeze in place until I select her directly, and any sort of auto-attack or group movement is a huge pain in any sort of hall way situation.

Mounts and mounted combat really do have a completely different feel to it early on, but its very much a concern with how it's going to fall off in later levels with those +30 attack, 6-8 attack demons without the mount feats on Seelah and the defensive feats on the horse. Mythic Companion and Mythic Charge are a given but I'm wondering about saves and spell effects, like if a horse can't make the will save does it mess up Seelah too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

:sickos: