Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The ringleader will get community service and a 500 dollar fine, weep like a baby, and be plastered all over the chudosphere for sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

At least sentence them for say, twice the total excess time they sentenced kids for their entire career. At least.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If you're unable to grok that kids are not adults, you should not be using up oxygen that real people need.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a mysterious cloak posted:

If you're unable to grok that kids are not adults, you should not be using up oxygen that real people need.

If what was happening to these kids was happening to adults, it would still be wrong. This evil bitch and her whole support network are quite literally inventing crimes so that they can jail black children in for-profit detention centres.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

The judge that sentenced them took five tries to pass her bar exam. The things she says about kids and parents in the articles is absolutely insane.

E here's the long article so y'all can see what a piece of poo poo the judge is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.propublica.org/article/black-children-were-jailed-for-a-crime-that-doesnt-exist/amp

Scathach has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Oct 10, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i'm honestly surprised that it didn't turn out the judge was getting kickbacks from the jail

though she probably is

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mx. posted:

i'm honestly surprised that it didn't turn out the judge was getting kickbacks from the jail

though she probably is

happened here in pa lol

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Yeah to be honest I didn't even know who the guy is until I wrote that episode

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That’s unnerving in and of itself.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB8dNMoXZ0

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I started listening to Black Box Down and compared to true crime, the aviation disasters are a lot less downer. For every horror, the day is saved by an act of piloting badassery.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I started listening to Black Box Down and compared to true crime, the aviation disasters are a lot less downer. For every horror, the day is saved by an act of piloting badassery.

That one british flight where the cockpit window blew out and they managed to land the plane and the pilot that got sucked halfway out even survived. :eyepop:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That one (FedEx?) flight where the pilot and two officers fought off the man who attacked them with a loving axe and managed to subdue him and land the plane. I think they flew upside down at some point.

fake edit: FedEx Flight 705. The weapons were hammers and a speargun.

quote:

26 minutes after takeoff, as the plane was passing 19,000 feet, and the flight crew carried on a casual conversation, Calloway went into the back to get his weapons, entered the flight deck, and attacked Peterson, Tucker, and Sanders. All three members of the crew received multiple hammer blows. Both Peterson and Tucker, the first officer, suffered fractured skulls, and Peterson's temporal artery was severed.[4] The blow to Tucker's head drilled shards of bone into his brain and initially rendered him unable to move or react, but he was still conscious. Captain Sanders reported that during the beginning of the attack, he could not discern any emotion from Calloway, just "simply a face in his eyes".[3]

When Calloway ceased his hammer attack, Peterson and Sanders began to get out of their seats to go after Calloway. Calloway left the cockpit and retrieved his speargun. He came back into the cockpit and threatened everyone to sit back down in their seats. Despite a loud ringing in his ear and being unbalanced and dazed, Peterson grabbed the gun by the spear between the barbs and the barrel. Tucker than put the DC-10 into a sharp 15 degree climb, and a lengthy struggle ensued, while Tucker, also an ex-Navy pilot, performed extreme aerial maneuvers with the aircraft.

Peterson, Tucker, and Sanders all lived, although they all ended up medically unfit to fly commercially, and Calloway is serving two life sentences.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I watched the whole thing. Just stared at it for 3 minutes.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Peterson, Tucker, and Sanders all lived...
My brain can only read this as Jordan Peterson, Tucker Carlson and Bernie Sanders.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Oct 10, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I got hooked on the Disaster Breakdown channel for plane crash stuff. It's very matter-of-fact and the guy clearly knows a lot about aviation. I also like that he uses Flight Simulator or some similar software to illustrate each crash.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Part of Brian Laundrie's body may have been found.
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/brian-laundrie-search-update-belongings-human-remains-fbi/

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I don't think they're his.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dovetaile posted:

I don't think they're his.

I don't know, would make sense to me since he's the prime suspect on the lam from the law with social media headhunters after him. What makes you think it's not him?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Stare-Out posted:

I don't know, would make sense to me since he's the prime suspect on the lam from the law with social media headhunters after him. What makes you think it's not him?

Apparently, the dogs sniffing the area for cadavers missed it while they've been searching, and IIRC the family just started helping and suddenly these turn up. I think it's probably his body but some people think they're still hiding him.

There are some obvious questions that scenario would raise though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Apparently, the dogs sniffing the area for cadavers missed it while they've been searching, and IIRC the family just started helping and suddenly these turn up. I think it's probably his body but some people think they're still hiding him.

Sure, I'm just Occam's Razoring it really. I'm just expecting never getting any real answers beyond what we already know about it.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

christmas boots posted:

For what it's worth (as someone who lives near the Everglades), the family showed up on the same day the remains were found because it was the first day that specific area was reopened -- it seems to be the original location they suspected he had gone, but because of how Florida's wetlands and swampy areas work, it had been underwater for weeks and only recently dried up. I tend to believe that enough water cover would stymie the cadaver dogs. His dad found a dry bag off the trail while the searchers further up found the backpack + remains.

It's him. Dude clearly decided to be a prick to the last by going out into an area that he knew would be difficult to access, then killing himself. Any other scenario (except perhaps for him actually intending to live off the land and getting bitten by a water moccasin and dying that way, or something) is just way too far of a stretch.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

For what it's worth (as someone who lives near the Everglades), the family showed up on the same day the remains were found because it was the first day that specific area was reopened -- it seems to be the original location they suspected he had gone, but because of how Florida's wetlands and swampy areas work, it had been underwater for weeks and only recently dried up. I tend to believe that enough water cover would stymie the cadaver dogs. His dad found a dry bag off the trail while the searchers further up found the backpack + remains.

It's him. Dude clearly decided to be a prick to the last by going out into an area that he knew would be difficult to access, then killing himself. Any other scenario (except perhaps for him actually intending to live off the land and getting bitten by a water moccasin and dying that way, or something) is just way too far of a stretch.

Yeah, I figured it's probably him and that explanation makes plenty of sense to me.

Besides, any alternate explanation introduces a whole new body into the equation and we don't need that kind of tomfoolery.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, I figured it's probably him and that explanation makes plenty of sense to me.

Besides, any alternate explanation introduces a whole new body into the equation and we don't need that kind of tomfoolery.

https://news.sky.com/story/gabby-petito-human-remains-found-in-florida-wilderness-belong-to-her-fiance-brian-laundrie-fbi-confirms-12440797

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

christmas boots posted:

Haven't they found like four other people during the course of the investigation already?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1451308948624224258?s=20

Yeah, welp. Dude took it all with him to the grave.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Haven't they found like four other people during the course of the investigation already?
They sure did! Wasn't there something about that area being both in a weird legal jurisdiction and a logistic nightmare to search, so there is probably lot of people who have gotten murdered there that will never get discovered. Or am I thinking of another case?
But yeah, apparently it was confirmed

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Scathach posted:

The judge that sentenced them took five tries to pass her bar exam. The things she says about kids and parents in the articles is absolutely insane.

E here's the long article so y'all can see what a piece of poo poo the judge is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.propublica.org/article/black-children-were-jailed-for-a-crime-that-doesnt-exist/amp
She also threw kids in solitary confinement for being disruptive in class. Of course that also raises the issue of how horribly, unbelievably hosed everything is that being disruptive in class can lead to children ending up in front of a judge, but we already know exactly why that happens.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Y'know, I tried a few episodes of Some Place Under Neath, hoping they'd delve into current issues being swept under the rug like man camps, but dropped out quickly for similar reasons. I feel like a huge hypocrite because I listen to LPotL which is much more vile, but it feels worse because Some Place is specifically about missing women I guess?

LPotL is explicitly about comedy and only talks about stuff that is "historical," sorta vile? Yes. More gross than a certain internet comedy forum? No. That said, I really don't like when they do impressions of mentally disabled people and stuff.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Vasukhani posted:

LPotL is explicitly about comedy and only talks about stuff that is "historical," sorta vile? Yes. More gross than a certain internet comedy forum? No. That said, I really don't like when they do impressions of mentally disabled people and stuff.
Well you're certainly painting a wonderful picture here

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's funny

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I've heard that a lot over the past couple weeks

Didn't really believe it then either

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The California hiking family that all died together were heat casualties accoring to the Sheriff's press conference today.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well you don't just get an abusive murder-beast without raising one. I feel like his parents were protecting themselves by having one last camping session with him and figuring he'd go out and die.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Last I heard at least 7 people other than him

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

subpar anachronism posted:

Last I heard at least 7 people other than him
I'm pretty sure that half of the people that have been counted by the media as found because of the Petito case had no actual relation to the Petito or Laundrie searches.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1451391472847269921?s=20

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Excellent work as usual, 47

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
That’s really happened?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Apparently so. Alec Baldwin fuckin murdered a ukrainian cinematorapher.

I guess murder isn't the right word, he didn't intend it, but poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Yeah i just read the other thread,that poor woman.