Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
let me see that thing
that thing thing thing thing thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Wife was out of town a few weekends ago and I watched the thing, prince of darkness, and mouth of madness over the course of a lazy Saturday. It ruled and I can strongly recommend it. It was my first time seeing the latter two, and I liked prince of darkness just a bit more. The thing is still the best of the three.

However, my favorite John Carpenter movie is and will remain they live. Nothing will change my mind, and it's all outta bubblegum

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I've been talked into watching the exorcist next.

The Exorcist is the greatest horror movie of all time.

But a little birdie told me that you haven't seen Aliens. :mad:

Aliens is more scifi/action/horror though. Not true horror.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Never really got Prince of Darkness. It's been a while, I'll have to check it out again to see if it got any better.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

What do y'all think of Cigarette Burns? I thought it was a pretty good take on The King In Yellow, similar to Mouth of Madness. Also stars a young Norman Reedus lol

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 21, 2021

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

the Among Us premise is kind of old (but maybe this is one of those influential movies that started off that type of trope?)

It most defiantly is the source of that premise.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The funniest commentary is with Sam Jackson, I think it was Deep Blue Sea and when his character dies (incredibly) he just peaces out lol

Such a boss.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just now realized that Among Us movie as a PG13 The Thing knockoff would make infinity zillion bucks and I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Gutcruncher posted:

I just now realized that Among Us movie as a PG13 The Thing knockoff would make infinity zillion bucks and I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet

I haven't seen it but I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qyIZN-43NM

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

they made one based on the ubisoft version

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tip posted:

they made one based on the ubisoft version

oh hey Harvey Guillen!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

https://youtu.be/jOBhE8JOcLE

Lmfao. God I need to rewatch the Conan commentary

lol this owns. i need to get my hands on these dvds. valkyrie

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Ha! I’m watching the UHD right now and just saw this thread. The quality of the picture is impeccable.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

the Among Us premise is kind of old (but maybe this is one of those influential movies that started off that type of trope?) ,

Linux Pirate posted:

It most defiantly is the source of that premise.

You both owe it to yourselves to check out the 1978 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers which predates The Thing by four years. Lots of similar paranoia and cool practical effects.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
childs is definitely a thing at the end

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So many great lines and performances by the actors seared into my mind. Any time somebody quickly shoots down an idea of mine, I use Windows' "Hey, thanks for thinking about it, though."

"It's gone, MacReady."

"Do you believe this Voodoo bullshit, Blair?"

"SOMEBODY GOT TO THE BLOOOOD!"

"I just want to go up to my shack and get drunk."

"They're not Swedish, Mac, they're Norwegian."

"'Cause it's different from us, see?"

I don't rollerskate, but anytime I pass by a volume dial, I do the Nauls thing.

The prequel sucked so much rear end. All the hype said they were doing practical special effects, no major CGI. They filmed the effects, they said it looked like poo poo, and they pasted over it with CGI. It's a cult classic, you dumb fucks, appeal to the cult.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bula Vinaka posted:

childs is definitely a thing at the end

That's Voodoo bullshit!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ive got a thing for you OP

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thing-era Keith David is possibly the hottest being in existence.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Philthy posted:

Never really got Prince of Darkness. It's been a while, I'll have to check it out again to see if it got any better.

It's definitely got its moments.

"Helloooo. Hellooo. I've got a message for you. You are not going to like it."

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Is there a service that roku supports that will let me buy 4k UHD movies for not crazybrains prices?

The microsoft deal made me so happy then i looked at the viewing options and it was "windows or xbox" pretty much as viewing options.

My roku is the only device I have that can handle 4k streaming over my wifi router that is honestly just too far away from the TV.

(I upgraded from a 720 to 1080p remastered version and even that was a pretty big improvement. Just watched it again tonight for the first time in a year... such a good movie.)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Das Boo posted:

Thing-era Keith David is possibly the hottest being in existence.

:hmmyes:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Is that the same guy from the british comedy Peep Show?

edit:
omg it is that is loving hilarious... he looked so familiar and spoke with a similar cadence or something I was wondering that during the film then forgot to look it up. awesome

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

happyhippy posted:

It's definitely got its moments.

"I said a rich doctor!" :haw:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Animal-Mother posted:

That's Voodoo bullshit!

no its true. you can't see his breath in the cold air at the end but you can see kurt russell's

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Wendigee posted:

Is there a service that roku supports that will let me buy 4k UHD movies for not crazybrains prices?

The microsoft deal made me so happy then i looked at the viewing options and it was "windows or xbox" pretty much as viewing options.

My roku is the only device I have that can handle 4k streaming over my wifi router that is honestly just too far away from the TV.

(I upgraded from a 720 to 1080p remastered version and even that was a pretty big improvement. Just watched it again tonight for the first time in a year... such a good movie.)

To be honest when streaming stuff I cant normally even tell the difference between the 4K and 1080p versions. The compression just ruins whatever gains might be coming in. Might not be worth paying any extra for the higher quality stream anyway

Junk posted:

no its true. you can't see his breath in the cold air at the end but you can see kurt russell's

One of those things everyone says but he totally has visible breath. Watch the movie, idiots!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 22, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Wendigee posted:

Is that the same guy from the british comedy Peep Show?

edit:
omg it is that is loving hilarious... he looked so familiar and spoke with a similar cadence or something I was wondering that during the film then forgot to look it up. awesome

I don't know what you looked up but keith david is not in peep show

are you confusing him with paterson joseph?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Waffle! posted:

What do y'all think of Cigarette Burns? I thought it was a pretty good take on The King In Yellow, similar to Mouth of Madness. Also stars a young Norman Reedus lol

I liked it, the idea of seeing something that breaks your brain is creepy to me

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Tip posted:

I don't know what you looked up but keith david is not in peep show

are you confusing him with paterson joseph?

oh my god... i googled keith david Peep Show and it brought up keith david williamson and i just assumed since it was the first hit it was correct... oops

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

To be honest when streaming stuff I cant normally even tell the difference between the 4K and 1080p versions. The compression just ruins whatever gains might be coming in. Might not be worth paying any extra for the higher quality stream anyway

Oh no, i have one of the newer ROKU and my tv supports 4k and its very noticeable when the stream is 4k UHD vs 1080p. Not even a question if the source is high enough quality.

the 4k stuff from netflix is insane compared to a 1080p quality for example

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I get Keith David and David Keith mixed up constantly.

Not how they look mind you. It's the name, obviously.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Is J&B Scotch that McCready is drinking straight out the bottle any good? How expensive is it?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's cheap and quite decent

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

DickParasite posted:

You both owe it to yourselves to check out the 1978 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers which predates The Thing by four years. Lots of similar paranoia and cool practical effects.

Oh poo poo I forgot about that. It's a good movie but what makes me link The Thing to Among Us is the small size of the group exposed to a shape shifter. A 12 man research team breeds a lot more paranoia than the whole of San Fransisco.

Now that I think about it I wonder if they missed an opportunity in The Thing to show how personality plays into identity. Would the thing know to copy personality quirks that the rest of the team would come to expect from that character?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That 1978 invasion movie owns hard, while we're filling up your to watches also check out the blob 88 remake. It's 2nd place to the thing for practical effects imo and a surprisingly well made movie.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i also abosultely love the 1978 invasion of the body snatchers... its loving amazing.

drat you making me question what exactly ARE my favorite movies

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The biggest benefit of 4K is HDR, so if you're watching stuff in 4K but without an HDR capable display it's losing a lot of what makes those transfers so great.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The biggest benefit of 4K is HDR, so if you're watching stuff in 4K but without an HDR capable display it's losing a lot of what makes those transfers so great.

oh my tv is 4k hdr sorry if i didnt mention that, i didn't realize they were different... or are to talking about how they uhh... encode? the movie when they save it

4k UHD looks amazing on it

watching 1080p even has like some pixel noise that is visible if you look closely.. its fine, but the 4k HDR streams are amazing

[edit] its not the newest but I did verify it is HDR 10 enabled to make sure I wasn't crazy... and it looks amazing. it was a christmas special in like 2018-2019 on a nice sale I needed a new tv.

Vizio M65-F0 I think at sam's club

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 22, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Linux Pirate posted:

Would the thing know to copy personality quirks that the rest of the team would come to expect from that character?

It seems to. But they're all so sleep-deprived, hungry, and probably still in shock that I don't think they'd notice a slip up. I remember the first time I watched it I wasn't able to guess who was thing'd.

The Scientist posted:

Is J&B Scotch that McCready is drinking straight out the bottle any good? How expensive is it?

To me it tastes like apples and sawdust, in a good way. Should be quite cheap, most places. J&B has been supplying booze to every British monarch since 1761.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

J&B is cheap and bad.