Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was a complete piece of poo poo but I'm fairly excited for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never got the sense they were depicting Heighliners as tunnels. They're almost always depicted as massive tube ships.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Looked like a tunnel to me in this movie. Ships go in one side and come out the other, and when you look through the Arrakis side you can see Salusa Secondus or Caladan or wherever on the other end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A tunnel would be very lame and like I said they almost always look like that. He probably just didn't see the point in showing them making the jump since people understand spaceships. Maybe I'll eat my words with Part Two.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I thought this was fantastic. Just a great scifi epic. I am worried we won't get part 2 though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's been more or less confirmed https://www.avclub.com/dune-part-one-all-but-surely-will-get-a-part-two-hint-1847911216

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The giant space worms make way more sense than space ships. The worms are consuming and rebirthing the entire universe.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Can a book-reader please let me know if "travelling without moving" is in the book at all? Google suggets it's just Lynch, but I found that line particularly memorable and missed the whole space travel aspect in this one.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I finished my second read-through about a month ago.

That's definitely not in the first book. First book the spice gives guildsmen enough prescience to steer ships well enough that they don't collide with a star.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

I thought this was fantastic. Just a great scifi epic. I am worried we won't get part 2 though.
i feel like this movie is gonna do very good, at 6 PM on a thursday my theater was almost full of people who couldn't even spell kwisatz haderach

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Parts of this movie did feel like a bunch of suits in a boardroom meddled with it, and demanded certain things of it. The lack of violence, and how clean the deaths felt, were almost for sure one of those things. Someone absolutely said "we want this to be our Star Wars."

I feel like it's an unrealistic expectation for a movie of this size and scope not to have any studio meddling, but imo Villeneuve enjoys a lot more freedom in this regard than other directors do, and the studio involvement is probably much more weighted to the film's marketing and merchandising than the content.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Strong adaptation. Any alterations and cuts from the book are quibbles. Some visuals not seen in the book just at to the weird "alienness" of the setting.
It's unfortunate we couldn't spend more time with Thufir and Yueh, but the treatment of Jamis was really compelling and his actor was fun to watch. Kynes' death works in the context of this movie.
Have to agree with the overabundance of Chani/dove commercial comment. Seeing more altered visions of her would've been more interesting.

It's a testament to Villeneuve's skill at the pacing of this movie. Forty-five minutes in I was surprised how much and little happened in regards to plot but was fascinated all the way.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Rabelais D posted:

If Paul isn't magic how can he, a scrawny kid with no real life fighting experience, overcome a seasoned veteran at the end?

Because he's a super comically rich kid who has been trained his entire life by immense badasses?

It's even directly in the movie. When he's fighting Jamis, he keeps winning in the sense of he could've killed him but he's never killed anyone so he can't bring himself to actually stab him. Because he's specifically only ever done practice sessions, even if he's done them 4 hours a day for 20 years or whatever, so he can perform all the correct counters but hesitates. Made up number on the amount of training because it's not stated, but it's clearly something absurd since he's been taking private knife fighting lessons from a dude so badass people from other planets are afraid of dudes who just hang with him, and he's been taking those lessons for so long that he's bros with the aforementioned knife genius and they have a designated back-up knife genius in case the first one is busy : this isn't exactly an 8 year old's clarinet lessons. And that's not getting into the fact that he does, in fact, have magic powers which is also the plot of the movie : it's not "scrawny kid with no real life fighting experience", it's "person who has received literally the best possible education on a subject doing their first applied exercise who bee tee dubs is also the prophesied messiah of psychic space cocaine."

It's not a magic plot hole. The climax of the movie is a whole scene about this that's been set up multiple times throughout the rest of the movie.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I never got the sense they were depicting Heighliners as tunnels. They're almost always depicted as massive tube ships.

I didn't notice the tunnel thing. What I noticed is that it looked almost exactly like the No Ship pictured on the cover of Chapterhouse. It also looked a lot like the worms, a nice subtle indication of their place in the Spice cycle.

I especially like that we don't see a full fishman navigator in this movie. Save that for when Edric shows up in Messiah.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is there any hint in the movie that Paul is trained to be a mentat, like he is in the books?

david_a posted:

Did I see this wrong, or are the Heighliners in this movie just big tubes that open a tunnel between two points in space? IE you just fly through them, you never dock like in the Lynch film. Styling them after sand worms was interesting too.
No, in the shot we see of (presumably) the Atreides unloading from the Heighliner, the ships that are incredibly vast on the ground, appear so small in relation to the Heighliner that they're just small dots - so it's reasonable to assume they're attached on the inside, which is pretty much how it's described in the books too

Thundarr posted:

I can kind of accept the laser use even though they don't bring up the interaction with shields. Duncan is probably the biggest badass in the galaxy so they may have figured a suicide attack would be worth it overall if they could off him quickly, even though it didn't work. So "don't shoot lasers at shields" could still get brought up in part 2.
I'm not sure I buy that, because the biggest reason for why the nobody uses Lasguns on shields is because the interaction is indistinguishable against the use of atomics, meaning it's the one way Harkonnens would end up with nothing but total extermination by the other Great Houses

Remember too that Pauls reason for it in the books is that he wasn't using it on an enemy, but merely on a feature of the terrain, because he was in such a hurry to return to the emperor

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PeterWeller posted:

I especially like that we don't see a full fishman navigator in this movie. Save that for when Edric shows up in Messiah.

From a film-making perspective, I couldn't agree with you more.

But if you got some body-image issues, the sight of a full-blown Guild Navigator can be quite the little ego boost. "Hey, maybe I'm not so ugly after all. That guy seems to be doing well."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

AwkwardKnob posted:

That's also my literal only complaint about the movie, having seen it twice now -- some of the peripheral characters we all know and love from the books, who got legitimate excellent casting -- they just don't get a lot of time to shine onscreen. Rabban, Piter de Vries, hell even the Baron. I truly hope they make an extended edition like LOTR got and yeah yeah I know the director would like NEVER DO THAT but gently caress that poo poo, use all the hours of footage you shot and give the fans what they want. This movie is for Dune fans. If the second part gets officially greenlit, that would be the SMARTEST way to drum up interest all over again before it comes out

Literally nobody who would be interested in this is skipping Dune 2 regardless

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Saw it last night and loved it. Overall I was pretty impressed with how successful they were at distilling the politicking and world building down to its most essential elements, without beating the audience over the head or relying on a single character to deliverer all the exposition.

I reread the first book and continued on through God Emperor this last year, so it's probably impossible for me to view it outside of that context, but my wife has never read them and she really liked it too. Really hoping we get more weirdness and opulence in the second book (gladiatorial combat please!).

On the one hand it definitely feels like it would have been served well by splitting it into three parts rather than two. The first third could be everything up to Leto's assassination, which would give it even more time to breathe, more time on Arrakis before the attack, and so on. But on the other hand it the studio would probably never go for that, and that second movie would really drag for audiences who haven't read the books, and I don't know how much more exposition and detail general audiences could take in that first movie.

Cutting the story where they did makes a certain amount of sense, since killing Jamis is the fulcrum for Paul's entire trajectory going forward. The visions Paul had about Jamis teaching him to be a Fremen legitimately made me think they were going to change it to have Paul refuse to kill him or something Hollywoody like that. I was glad they stuck to the story as it was originally written.

The movie was incredibly loud in the theater, to great effect. The Voice was well done, especially in the loud theater. I'm glad they didn't bother explaining things like the Baron's suspensors and just let it be weird.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Never read the books. Just know about dune from the impact it has on Sci Fi.

The coolest two scenes to me were the emperor's elite troops being introduced - even though they just ended up being slightly tougher mooks and the sandstorm scene.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
PG-13 weakens movies

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What was up with the spider creature the rev mother tells to get out? Just a weird flavor addition?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think that was a human once. Now to be completely thatguy and say that it reminds me of 40k.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FPyat posted:

They changed the harvester scene so that the carryall comes but fails to lift. I guess they wanted to make the work spent on the CGI animation worth it.
That was a good change, I thought. "Oh, carryall hosed up, welp the desert sure isn't kind to machines!" is much more plausibly deniable than "carryall didn't show up, this is obvious, blatant sabotage". And the Atreides still knew what was happening, so the whole point of it, the "ha ha we are loving you directly to your face while the supposed-to-be-impartial judge watches, what you gonna do about it" aspect remains.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

For me personally the Butlerian Jihad just raises more questions than it answers.

The main question being: "if you've made your vast galactic empire reliant on a single substance produced on a single planet, not because it's an absolute necessity but because you're philosophically against other options, how are you still alive?!?"
Computers wouldn't help. The only way to jump through space and not run a risk of getting blipped out of existence by some random asteroid is to be able to see the future and only jump along paths you already know will work.

Rabelais D posted:

Can a book-reader please let me know if "travelling without moving" is in the book at all? Google suggets it's just Lynch, but I found that line particularly memorable and missed the whole space travel aspect in this one.
Movie only.

Xiahou Dun posted:

he's been taking private knife fighting lessons from a dude so badass people from other planets are afraid of dudes who just hang with him, and he's been taking those lessons for so long that he's bros with the aforementioned knife genius and they have a designated back-up knife genius in case the first one is busy : this isn't exactly an 8 year old's clarinet lessons.
He's also been taking lessons from his mom, who demonstrates how insanely badass the Bene Gesserit can be right before that when she defeats and disables Stilgar with approximately zero effort. So he's been trained in normal fighting by the biggest badasses in the galaxy, plus he's been trained in special witch fighting that nobody's supposed to know even exists.

Steve Yun posted:

Roommate knows sign language and says whatever sign language they’re using in the movie is not ASL
It's not supposed to be, it's Atreides battle language. In the books it's a minor plot point that every house has their own private language they only use during fighting, so that the enemy can crack your communications all they want and only hear gibberish. I thought making it a sign language was a cool idea.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

He's also been taking lessons from his mom, who demonstrates how insanely badass the Bene Gesserit can be right before that when she defeats and disables Stilgar with approximately zero effort. So he's been trained in normal fighting by the biggest badasses in the galaxy, plus he's been trained in special witch fighting that nobody's supposed to know even exists.

That scene was hilarious. "Well, I hosed up real bad"

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Electromax posted:

What was up with the spider creature the rev mother tells to get out? Just a weird flavor addition?

When I saw that, I thought

:frogout:

Now I’m always going to think frogsay is using the voice.

CapnAndy posted:

It's not supposed to be, it's Atreides battle language. In the books it's a minor plot point that every house has their own private language they only use during fighting, so that the enemy can crack your communications all they want and only hear gibberish. I thought making it a sign language was a cool idea.

I liked how they did that subtle, but captioned. In the books, it always was implied that it was ether gestures or body language.

Dalaram fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 22, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Electromax posted:

I wonder if it maybe was Yueh's wife? He says they took her apart and made him watch, I might bargain the deaths of myself and everyone I love just to have someone put out of that misery too.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Electromax posted:

Kinkshaming

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

That was a good change, I thought. "Oh, carryall hosed up, welp the desert sure isn't kind to machines!" is much more plausibly deniable than "carryall didn't show up, this is obvious, blatant sabotage". And the Atreides still knew what was happening, so the whole point of it, the "ha ha we are loving you directly to your face while the supposed-to-be-impartial judge watches, what you gonna do about it" aspect remains.
In the books, isn't it supposed to be a demonstration of how many plans within plans that the Harkonnen had, that Vladimir could predict that Duke Leto would go on an inspection and then the sabotage would happen and Duke Leto would risk things to save the men?
That's how I always read that scene.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hannibal Rex posted:

Another thing that I really didn't like was how monochromatic and colorless the entire film is.

I have to agree with this. The desert felt as if it was cold.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Tankbuster posted:

I think that was a human once. Now to be completely thatguy and say that it reminds me of 40k.

Funny you should say that. 40k is heavily inspired by Dune. One of the reasons I initially got hooked on 40k artwork was because it was triggering the same kind of quirks I loved about Dune.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I wonder if it maybe was Yueh's wife? He says they took her apart and made him watch, I might bargain the deaths of myself and everyone I love just to have someone put out of that misery too.
Well, Vladimir apparently at some point promised Yueh that that the Baron would set her free, that Yueh could join her, because that's the last thing he talks about before slitting his throat, making them joined in death - but I think it's neat that it's open to interpretation since Yueh mentions that she's separated into parts and turned into a doll.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Electromax posted:

Yueh's wife

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Funny you should say that. 40k is heavily inspired by Dune. One of the reasons I initially got hooked on 40k artwork was because it was triggering the same kind of quirks I loved about Dune.
It's not just 40k and Star Wars that's inspired by Frank Herberts work - a lot of scifi authors credit him with influencing them directly.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Oh I know that. 40k is derivative of older sci fi. It's just 40k nerds are a bit annoying.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

In the books, isn't it supposed to be a demonstration of how many plans within plans that the Harkonnen had, that Vladimir could predict that Duke Leto would go on an inspection and then the sabotage would happen and Duke Leto would risk things to save the men?
That's how I always read that scene.
I never read it that way. If that was the Harkonnen plan, it backfired horribly -- seeing Leto dismiss the spice haul as meaningless and risk the lives of his retainers, son, and own self to save workers he doesn't even know is what tips Liet over from "another fuckin' outworlder" to "...huh, do I maybe actually like these people?" My read on it was always that the spice business is under general sabotage and rather than getting to see a standard job, Leto and company get to see the fuckery firsthand, but it's nothing anyone did, or could have, predicted.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Question about the sardaukar. Whose blood were they being anointed with? That and the spider human pet were the most striking things for me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gohmak posted:

Yueh's wife

I completely missed this. Goddamn, it does suck to be Yueh.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

flashy_mcflash posted:

I completely missed this. Goddamn, it does suck to be Yueh.

was it really her or was it implied?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CapnAndy posted:

I never read it that way. If that was the Harkonnen plan, it backfired horribly -- seeing Leto dismiss the spice haul as meaningless and risk the lives of his retainers, son, and own self to save workers he doesn't even know is what tips Liet over from "another fuckin' outworlder" to "...huh, do I maybe actually like these people?" My read on it was always that the spice business is under general sabotage and rather than getting to see a standard job, Leto and company get to see the fuckery firsthand, but it's nothing anyone did, or could have, predicted.

Baron and even the Emperor could predict that reaction easily, they have mentat/Benne Gesserit advisors plus Leto's benevolent touch is why the Emperor wants him dead

I don't think the Baron planned it specifically - all the sabotage and traps aren't expected to work, just keep the atreides distracted so they don't consider or properly prepare for a full scale imperial invasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

Question about the sardaukar. Whose blood were they being anointed with? That and the spider human pet were the most striking things for me.

gohmak posted:

Yueh's wife

:v:

Tankbuster posted:

was it really her or was it implied?

It's not really implied unless they have a very different definition of doll in the future.