Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Super Waffle posted:

- They ordered lackluster subs

Of all the things on your list, this is the least forgivable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I just talked to a friend that works as as the head nurse at a long term care unit.

The owner refuses to get vaccinated or even ask any of the employees to vaccinate. They have some how only had 1 case of covid with a patient since the pandemic but had several employees come in to work positive for covid-19 and be asked to leave.

She says she will close the business before she has a vaccine mandate. Thing is she gets a ton of money from the government to float her nursing home and she would lose that.

Full blown brain worms going to shutdown a quality clinic and has way to much debt from being a "small business owner" trying to keep up with the jones'. Then they found carlson tucker and literally every minute they are awake with fox news on a tv somewhere they can hear.

She's actually a rich white lady small business owner in the literal middle of america and scared of poor people. Which she keeps poor so she can get a new RV that she will hardly use.

in my head I was like maybe remove the bumper stickers and stop being a complete rear end in a top hat and it won't be an issue you absolute monster

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 22, 2021

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Jaguars! posted:

I have finally found a way to have specific, measurable achievements during my working from home days. Every day I listen to an album from the Motorhead discography. Today I'm up to Bomber.

I've gone through several artists doing this exact thing. R.E.M. was the first one just because I'm a big fan of their 80's stuff but had not really gotten into anything past Monster.

I know a lot of you seem to have a lot of problems with Agile but when it's done right it works really well. I worked for 11 years at a company with zero development methodology and that sucked more than I realized at the time. My last job may have had it problems but we ran SAFe and ran it well and it worked. Where I am now we run a version of Agile and everyone is on board and it's really pretty good.

I guess there's always the opportunity to call something Agile and then just not follow it and I can see where that would suck.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Local Weather posted:

there's always the opportunity to call something Agile and then just not follow it and I can see where that would suck.

"well, this doesn't really work for our product or goal, but we're gonna give it a go because it is popular! "contines waterfall with a bunch of extra bullshit on top""

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Local Weather posted:

My last job may have had it problems but we ran SAFe and ran it well and it worked.

SAFe is "waterfall with Agile terminology", hth.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Janitorial services are cancelled until the budget mess is solved by congress. Our boss literally sent out an email that said "BYOTP".

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Is it a common thing office airheads with unlimited free time are perpetually taking online training to learn Photoshop? We've got at least 3 of those.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Is it a common thing office airheads with unlimited free time are perpetually taking online training to learn Photoshop? We've got at least 3 of those.

It unlocks the prestige option at work to get a mac, thats all its for

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It lets them perform their vital internal comms roles of providing the best possible thumbnails for the in-house podcast and touching up pictures of the senior management to put in the annual report to the shareholders/grindr.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Motronic posted:

SAFe is "waterfall with Agile terminology", hth.

This man SAFe's.

You'll find SAFe at basically every shop with a super strong PMO and wants to become agile but also loving *loves* putting dates on poo poo.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If you’ve got the free time and they aren’t going to fire you for it, might as well learn a new skill.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

secular woods sex posted:

If you’ve got the free time and they aren’t going to fire you for it, might as well learn a new skill.

*Deepfake involving the boss and copier*

*Shops up a fake diploma of business ethics*

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aren't they all fake anyway?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

goatface posted:

Aren't they all fake anyway?

Ethics certainly is

The boss was actually loving the copier but I changed it from a Canon to an HP.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

goatface posted:

It lets them perform their vital internal comms roles of providing the best possible thumbnails for the in-house podcast and touching up pictures of the senior management to put in the annual report to the shareholders/grindr.

Haha you're right about the in-house podcast thumbnails but they don't write annual reports. Did I already mention it takes eight of them to write an internal online newsletter that's maybe 2 double spaced pages a month, and is unpopular enough they have to bribe people with gift cards to read it?

secular woods sex posted:

Oh agreed learning new skills is a good use of time. But when it's seemingly the only thing they're doing and they never become adept or begin applying the lessons it feels like we're paying then $80k a year to cargo cult what they think a useful person would do. I know I shouldn't care too much if office workers do nothing, but gets frustrating when we keep hearing about headcount and metrics.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

vyst posted:

This man SAFe's.

You'll find SAFe at basically every shop with a super strong PMO and wants to become agile but also loving *loves* putting dates on poo poo.

SAFe is a grift and I hate it

Nobody who is considered a leader in the agile world endorses it. It's "agile in a box" for bad executives who don't want to fundamentally change anything but want to say they're agile now, and then they charge exorbitant fees for their worthless "certifications" on top of that.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

All this talk about business classes that are tortured acronyms that I barely undertand is making me feel a lot better about the beer awards that you pay for and pass off as legit.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Last year before I got promoted I spent my Saturdays on overtime when I was covering the flight line taking Defense Acquisition University classes which enabled me to get an edge on my resume and interviews into this current, and much cooler job. My previous lead then tried to file a complaint with my old supervisor and then the department head saying I was "abusing overtime", and needed to be written up and punished even though I no longer worked for them. Luckily, both my lead and supervisor had worked the flight line before and know it's kind of a feast or famine work situation and that I was actually doing them a favor by covering it all day every Saturday instead of having a life, so they told him to gently caress off.

Last week my old boss came to me asking for help with an issue I had completely set up for success before I left to the point where all that had to happen was the correct person needed to fill out one piece of paperwork and the whole issue would be solved. The correct person was my previous lead who wanted me written up. He didn't do it at the time because it would have made my job easier and he didn't like me. Before I was even enlisted to help, he had claimed no knowledge of the issue and that nobody in the department knew anything about it. My "help" ended up being producing all the emails with him and the relevant people on copy instructing them how to solve the problem last December.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

nvidiagouge posted:

Last year before I got promoted I spent my Saturdays on overtime when I was covering the flight line taking Defense Acquisition University classes which enabled me to get an edge on my resume and interviews into this current, and much cooler job. My previous lead then tried to file a complaint with my old supervisor and then the department head saying I was "abusing overtime", and needed to be written up and punished even though I no longer worked for them. Luckily, both my lead and supervisor had worked the flight line before and know it's kind of a feast or famine work situation and that I was actually doing them a favor by covering it all day every Saturday instead of having a life, so they told him to gently caress off.

Last week my old boss came to me asking for help with an issue I had completely set up for success before I left to the point where all that had to happen was the correct person needed to fill out one piece of paperwork and the whole issue would be solved. The correct person was my previous lead who wanted me written up. He didn't do it at the time because it would have made my job easier and he didn't like me. Before I was even enlisted to help, he had claimed no knowledge of the issue and that nobody in the department knew anything about it. My "help" ended up being producing all the emails with him and the relevant people on copy instructing them how to solve the problem last December.

I hope your email had the requisite level of passive-aggressive snark.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Haha you're right about the in-house podcast thumbnails but they don't write annual reports. Did I already mention it takes eight of them to write an internal online newsletter that's maybe 2 double spaced pages a month, and is unpopular enough they have to bribe people with gift cards to read it?
At my job HR will send you lovely emails if you don't join the weekly management jackoff meeting where we're all forced to listen to the podcast we won't download.

I'd be pissed about this but I know the guy who scammed himself into the job of being in charge of the dumbass podcast and he's a cool dude. He does basically nothing since his team's only responsibility is two newsletters and a 30 minute podcast every month. Since he got the job he has become a much better drummer and I still occasionally go to see his band play.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nobody who is considered a leader in the agile world endorses it.

It takes a special kind of wanker to validated by the opinions of other wankers

Look again at the phrase “leader in the agile world” and think about what happened to bring you to this point

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AgileDefender420 vs AgileStomper69

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im too young for it but I had a boss get very worked up over a "we're going agile" and was like I will not be Six Sigma'd again and immediately planned their departure and exited the company. We, obviously never actually implemented agile

Peggle Fever
Sep 21, 2005

shake it
SAFe: focused on delivery of value, if by "delivery" you mean "hours upon hours of pointless meetings," and by "value" you mean an "early grave"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I usually leave a job when they start rolling out a bunch of new poo poo too but I wait until it's actually rolling out and I see what a shitshow it is. I hate agile from a software development perspective, not necessarily the concept of using it as an org structure, agile just leads to poo poo software, it's designed to, because the entire thing was literally written by programmers who wanted to make their jobs "fun" so they decided things like "Don't write documentation because documentation is a major bummer!" are good rules for all programmers to follow. But in my experience when companies roll out new poo poo like (lean) six sigma it means that they're failing and they hired some kid fresh out of an mba who just kind of sputtered it out of their mouth during an interview because it was a name that they remembered from their mba program and the hiring manager goes "I have heard those words before, you're perfect! Roll it out now!" and then starts sending out emails to other managers about how "I got us a lean six sig expert and they're going to shake this whole place up!" so the MBA comes in with some xeroxed printed-out PDFs of pirated copies of lean six sigma training and goes to town

e: My view may be largely biased by only having ever worked for tech startups

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 23, 2021

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

All this talk about business classes that are tortured acronyms that I barely undertand is making me feel a lot better about the beer awards that you pay for and pass off as legit.

This happens in lots of industries. My favorite was a company getting an award (that they bought) for their latest software release. A point release that was bug fixes and had no new features. The award was for innovation.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Crosspostin' from the Reddit r/relationships thread cos I know you'll all get a kick out of this one:

quote:

after an employee died, her team has driven off anyone we hire to replace her

A year ago, someone I worked with (Jane) died. She was killed by an impaired driver while crossing the street after work. Some of her colleagues witnessed it. Jane worked here for almost a decade and was well-liked. (The company has an EAP and offered paid therapy services to anyone who needs it as well as fully paid bereavement and time off to attend the trial, no questions asked.) Jane was one of my reports (I manage her manager).

A month after Jane’s death, her replacement started. The replacement was an internal transfer who was offered the job after a job search was conducted inside the company. However, three months after starting the job, the replacement suddenly quit without notice. She emailed her resignation to HR at the end of the work day effective immediately. The job was then offered to the other person who had been looked at in the job search. He started a week after the first replacement left. Four months after he started, he also quit without any notice. After he left, no one in the company put in to transfer into the role, so the company did an outside job search. An outside person, new to the company, was hired a month after the second replacement quit. That was three months ago, and the outside hire just quit last week after giving only two days of notice.

After the outside hire quit, the HR manager and assistant HR manager asked to meet with me. They informed me the outside hire had said in her exit interview that she was leaving because she couldn’t handle working with Jane’s old coworkers and manager. She said she resumed job searching almost as soon as she started here because of how bad it was. She told them she had tried to address it with the manager (who managed Jane) but nothing changed. HR shared this with me because they had received similar complaints from the first two replacements for Jane’s job. In their resignation emails, both of them said they couldn’t handle it and the manager did nothing. The first replacement quit without having anything lined up. The second replacement took a job with a lower title than he had here.

What Jane’s replacements said they couldn’t handle was being constantly compared to Jane, being accused of hostility or coldness for arranging the desk differently than Jane had it, having things like “if Jane were here…” or “some of us still care about Jane” said aloud to them. According to the resignations and the exit interview, the manager participated and accused them of being awful for “disrespecting” the dead when they brought their concerns forward. The outside hire said she was excluded from everything and asked how she could sleep at night for taking Jane’s job.

Word got around the company so no one put in to transfer into Jane’s role and that is why an outside person had to be hired. After the outside hire left, upper management tried to get another person who already works here to transfer into the job so they didn’t have to go through the hiring process again. The person they picked wrote her resignation and was ready to quit before they told her she didn’t have to take it.

I work in a different building than Jane’s coworkers and manager and I had no idea any of this was happening until HR told me (I also don’t know why HR didn’t act on these complaints). No one came to me about it before this. Jane’s job often involves tight deadlines, and I thought the first two replacements left because they couldn’t handle the pressure. It turns out they always met the deadlines and had no performance issues.

I understand Jane’s death is upsetting and difficult for her coworkers, but what they are doing cannot continue. We can’t keep hiring people every few months. Since the three replacements and the person upper management wanted to bring in have all said the same things (especially given that the outside hire never met the other three), I do believe they are telling the truth about Jane’s coworkers and manager. I know I need to talk to the coworkers and manager about their behavior but given the emotion behind this I don’t even know where to start. I am way out of my depth with this.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From the months and the required hiring time they're probably about a year later. Tell them to calm the gently caress down or gently caress the gently caress off imo.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
what's the chances that problem is mostly just a few that realised they could use the death to block anything they don't like because their managers manager will enable it.

then management won't want to deal with it and just reorganise the department out of existence.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

Is this the same boss that was flying to Europe a few weeks ago?

The very same.

My bonus is being paid over the next 4 paychecks instead of all on this one. I'm now having to wait it out longer. May not be worth it honestly.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Thomamelas posted:

This happens in lots of industries. My favorite was a company getting an award (that they bought) for their latest software release. A point release that was bug fixes and had no new features. The award was for innovation.

For sure. I "won" a few.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Mormon Nailer posted:

The very same.

My bonus is being paid over the next 4 paychecks instead of all on this one. I'm now having to wait it out longer. May not be worth it honestly.

That's some Grade A Bullshit.

gently caress a job.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Thomamelas posted:

Apparently it works?

Boards will get upset over missing quarterly numbers, but can be mollified if the VP of marketing can follow up with all of these "prestigious" awards that were won.

I'll be honest; twenty years into this I would probably be just as clueless if my first boss, who owned two companies, the product based company I worked for and the trade show company for our space , hadn't explained that, yeah all of those awards are totally bought.

It's a kind of fun and depressing game. When your company announces the "major award" internally, see how long it takes for you to follow the crumbs to see how much the company paid for it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rent-A-Cop posted:

At my job HR will send you lovely emails if you don't join the weekly management jackoff meeting where we're all forced to listen to the podcast we won't download.

I don't know about your company necessarily, but in every company I have worked HR is not your boss.
Most of the time they have a over-inflated sense of importance and get to make their own work, but they don't control your time in any way.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

stinch posted:

what's the chances that problem is mostly just a few that realised they could use the death to block anything they don't like because their managers manager will enable it.

then management won't want to deal with it and just reorganise the department out of existence.

Yeah the real problem is Janes ex manager for encouraging that. Transfer them to another team and give the rest of the team an ultimatum. Of it's as bad as the ex employees say it could be worth breaking up the team entirely.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

~Coxy posted:

I don't know about your company necessarily, but in every company I have worked HR is not your boss.
Most of the time they have a over-inflated sense of importance and get to make their own work, but they don't control your time in any way.

HR is basically the office cops and if they decide to get involved it can be hard to tell them to gently caress off.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Oh for sure, if an anti-harassment training video could last either 15 minutes or 4 hours with the exact same content, they’ll pick 4 hours every time to show how serious it is.

Kinda funny how they’re jerks to anyone below them but the most terrified of any executive above them and the most prone to name dropping.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cheesus posted:

"major award"

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'd be pissed about this but I know the guy who scammed himself into the job of being in charge of the dumbass podcast and he's a cool dude. He does basically nothing since his team's only responsibility is two newsletters and a 30 minute podcast every month. Since he got the job he has become a much better drummer and I still occasionally go to see his band play.

Am I reading this right? There is an entire team of people at your job, whose sole responsibility is a podcast and a newsletter? I’m familiar with ‘bullshit jobs’ but that’s another level entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

irpoweroutlet posted:

Am I reading this right? There is an entire team of people at your job, whose sole responsibility is a podcast and a newsletter? I’m familiar with ‘bullshit jobs’ but that’s another level entirely.

Yeah there's been a few posts about it and my brain just files it under 'Unlikely but not worth calling them out a out it'. But who would lie about a company zine team?

I'm not calling OP a liar, it just seems so loving weird.